Best / favorite "current" duo.

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Best / favorite "current" duo?

Armand Hammer. (Billy Woods & Elucid.)
6%
EarlWolf. (Earl Sweatshirt & Tyler, the Creator.)
2%
Hail Mary Mallon. (Aesop Rock & Rob Sonic.)
10%
MellowHigh. (Domo Genesis & Hodgy Beats.)
No votes
Metal Clergy. (Ka & Roc Marciano.)
18%
Mobb Deep. (Havoc & Prodigy.)
6%
People Under The Stairs. (Double K & Thes One.)
4%
Run the Jewels. (El-P & Killer Mike.)
47%
Shabazz Palaces. (Baba & Ish.)
8%
The Underachievers. (AK & Issa Gold.)
No votes

Total votes: 51

blastmaster
King Duggan

Re: Best / favorite "current" duo.

Post by blastmaster »

Rich Gang is the only choice.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

All the OFWGKTA duos listed do not qualify. Even after the joint album, MellowHigh more or less only exists in the minds of the fans. EarlWolf even less so since Earl & Tyler do not have a Cuban-Linx type joint album (a la Ghostface & Raekwon) to validate it.

EL-P & Killer Mike have remarkable chemistry. Run The Jewels is my first pick.

My second pick would be The Underachievers since they are the only artists whose work I am familiar with. I'm sure the rest of the duos are better though as IMO, AK & Issa Gold are not that great MCs.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Versive

Post by Versive »

Armand Hammer
Metal Clergy
Shabazz Palaces

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

voted RTJ, HMM a close second. honorable mention goes to step brothers.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Metal Clergy would be #1 if the album that was supposedly already 90% done in 2012 ever materialized

as is

Shabazz Palaces
Metal Clergy
Armand Hammer
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

rae sremmurd
Last edited by Escobar305 on Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

blastmaster wrote:Rich Gang is the only choice.
If only this was a real duo.
ChaMerZ wrote:All the OFWGKTA duos listed do not qualify. ...Earl & Tyler do not have a Cuban-Linx type joint album (a la Ghostface & Raekwon) to validate it. El-P & Killer Mike have remarkable chemistry. Run the Jewels is my first pick.
Not sure how all (both) Odd Future groups "do not qualify", but okay. I mean, the Metal Clergy album hasn't happened (yet?) either. But yeah, those two were mostly padding, because ten.

I'd say Armand Hammer and Hail Mary Mallon both have better chemistry together than Run the Jewels, although I'm sure I'm probably in the minority on that one.
samdoom wrote:Voted RTJ, HMM a close second. Honorable mention goes to Step Brothers.
Forgot that one, although I'm fairly confident they wouldn't have gathered too many votes, given the options.
drizzle wrote:Metal Clergy would be #1 if the album that was supposedly already 90% done in 2012 ever materialized.
Yeah, the limited amount of material together does take away from this one. Knew RTJ was gonna steal this one pretty much no matter what, but right now it's stacking even more heavily in their favor than I might've guessed.
Escobar305 wrote:Rae Srummurd.
First of, are they really your favorite duo out if you can't even get the stupid name right? It's ear drummers backwards (well backwards like Zeed Stun is backwards). Secondly, this was more about duos who actually have solo material out as well.

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

What part of Rich Gang makes them not a 'real' duo? Birdman dropping a verse every 12 songs?
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

'No type' remains one of my fav songs out now, pardon my spelling.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

do not qualify as duos i mean. RTJ is a duo. The Underachievers are a duo. Earl & Tyler do not form a duo. They haven't even spoken to each other for months and there are no plans in sight for them to be working togethr. You should read the FADER cover story
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Besides the collabos on each others LPs, what is a Metal Clergy?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

they allegedly have an album (nearly done) together as Metal Clergy
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Mobb Deep
Armand Hammer

Odd Future is awful beyond description these days; LOL @ "EarlWolf. After that Fader interview, anyone who has hope in those dude is kidding themselves.

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

ChaMerZ wrote:Earl & Tyler do not form a duo. They haven't even spoken to each other for months and there are no plans in sight for them to be working together.
This is partly why current is in quotes.
Philaflava wrote:Besides the collabos on each others LPs, what is a Metal Clergy?
An album called Piece Be With You, with a long abandoned Twitter account, and projected 2012 release date.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

This is tough, I'm inclined to go Armand Hammer, but Hail Mary Mallon is right there. Metal Clergy has the high end appeal as everything they've touched has been flames.

I'm voting Metal Clergy. That duo at its best is an all time great duo, even if they still only have a handful of songs.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Run The Jewels. LOL @ the pity vote for PUTS.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

lol at the pity vote for mobb deep
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

drizzle wrote:they allegedly have an album (nearly done) together as Metal Clergy
Ok so technically they haven't released any material together as a duo yet? I just wanna make sure I didn't miss some stuff.

TheTed

Post by TheTed »

Was tough to choose between HMM, RTJ and Shabazz....went with Shabazz

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

Philaflava wrote:I just wanna make sure I didn't miss some stuff.
Nah, you're good.

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Run The Jewels by a landslide. Not too surprised. The competition was weak.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Philaflava wrote:
drizzle wrote:they allegedly have an album (nearly done) together as Metal Clergy
Ok so technically they haven't released any material together as a duo yet? I just wanna make sure I didn't miss some stuff.
No, but there's 30+ minutes' worth of solo album collabos between the two of them. I compiled all of that together in this mix.

http://www.longislandrap.com/2014/11/me ... s-mix.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for their album Piece Be With You, last time Ka reported on it, I believe he said they have 11 or 12 songs done. Hopefully we'll hear it in 2015.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

thanks

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

In theory, it's metal clergy by a landslide...

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Versive wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
No, but there's 30+ minutes' worth of solo album collabos between the two of them. I compiled all of that together in this mix.

http://www.longislandrap.com/2014/11/me ... s-mix.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As for their album Piece Be With You, last time Ka reported on it, I believe he said they have 11 or 12 songs done. Hopefully we'll hear it in 2015.
thanks for this :cheers:

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

I still always really really like hearing Styles P and Jadakiss trade murder bars back and forth like on 'Gotti'.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

TheBigSleep

Post by TheBigSleep »

ChaMerZ wrote:Run the Jewels by a landslide. Not too surprised. The competition was weak.
Thing is, a lot of the time the people who have heard what's most popular, haven't really listened to the majority of the other choices. As usual, the comments from the people who take the time tell a different, more nuanced story than those who just lurk and leave. And feel free to think the competition is weak, that's a valid opinion, but it isn't a very informed one, by your own admission. You might wanna wait 'til you do your homework before making statements about what you don't know.
Mindbender Futurama wrote:I still always really really like hearing Styles P and Jadakiss trade murder bars back and forth like on Gotti.
Yeah, this was mainly for guys who had a project out together recently. They'll be an option in the follow-up thread I'll post in T.R.O.Y. sometime in the next little while though. (It will have far too many choices and people will still be mad I forgot to put in Quo or whatever.)

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

TheBigSleep wrote:
ChaMerZ wrote:Run the Jewels by a landslide. Not too surprised. The competition was weak.
Thing is, a lot of the time the people who have heard what's most popular, haven't really listened to the majority of the other choices. As usual, the comments from the people who take the time tell a different, more nuanced story than those who just lurk and leave. And feel free to think the competition is weak, that's a valid opinion, but it isn't a very informed one, by your own admission. You might wanna wait 'til you do your homework before making statements about what you don't know.
lol i was going to come back to this thread and say more or less the same thing. i feel you man. although i've just about reached the saturation point with new music right now. need time to digest the new RTJ LP