**Beat Battle Submissions Due Today (Saturday)**

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

e-styles

Post by e-styles »

Last edited by e-styles on Fri May 11, 2007 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Phat Anorexic

Post by The Phat Anorexic »

I forgot to add my PF handle to the MP3 title.

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

im out the battle, mpc glitch yo, my shits ghay

Deviant283

Post by Deviant283 »

like half hour late.

fuck it if its too late dont include it. but here it is.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jawmx5

so yeah.

torchETB

Post by torchETB »

a bit late, even on the west coast. oh well.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/8ore98

fuck a technical issue. this shit better work.

good luck everyone. can't wait to peep when i get to work.

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

damn, didn't we have like 18 or some crazy number of people in this thing? i see around 7 finished beats, maybe.

won't matter though, i think red scare might win this one. just a guess. :grin:

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

TPA - sounds kind of like a slowed-down techno beat. floating guitar riffs were a nice touch.

asphyx - that acapella is horribly off beat. but it's a good beat for sure. the filtering is interesting, but it could have been toned down a bit in the higher end of things.

deviant - needs rhymes. the loop point you chose for the sample works, i kind of like the abrupt stop to the vocals.

citizen, i liked it, and though i noticed the changeups, but i don't think they were drastic enough to make it interesting.

torch, i like the vibe you worked the samples into, most definitely. interesting blending and transitions. drums could have been a bit more chunky, i think. but prolly my second favorite. i'm working

qwalms, you suck. learn to pitch things so they harmonize. don't think i missed anyone. red and ardamus know what i think.

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Yo, gimme a night, work's been hectic, but my shit is nearly done.

torchETB

Post by torchETB »

QWALMS wrote:meh. no low end, just some pretty beefy bass drum.
aw man did you just upload a WAV? yer killin me, smalls!!

torchETB

Post by torchETB »

presented in the order in which they played on my iTunes:

ardamus - there are plenty of things i like about your beat. the MPC-style chops at jump remind me of wanting so bad to get an MPC into my workflow. i really dug the use of samples to get you from one segment into the next. i do think that for a one-minute clip you should have made the segments shorter and brought the song to different places. the break you layered over your intro at the third bar had some good movement to it. i wanted to hear it used some more. the drums that carried the rest of the song had more fuzz than bump, and while i don't mind fuzzy drums, i think they could benefit from putting drums under them that hit. if you've never doubled up your drums (so two or more different drums fire as one), that's certainly a great technique for combining otherwise compromised sounds to really get your drums thicker.

citizen - chop and sequence, chop and sequence. i dig it. i also like the layers of subtle drawn-out sounds upon which you're stacking your more rhythmic elements. drums are soft and subtle, and it works. i was waiting for the direction to shift, though, as if you were working on a prelude to a grand swell.

deviant - great textbook sample opening. nice and jazzy. but there was a dissonant feeling to those accent samples you threw in every few bars, except for the "so..." which worked nicely. not sure what i would do with the other samples; maybe some EQ on the other vocal sample, and either EQ or re-pitch or both on the big strings sample. overall i enjoyed the laid back feel that you achieved, and suggest more airy jazzy drums (a sampled drum loop would do well here) with more dynamics to really pull the beat and the sample loop together.

qwalms - goddamn that's a nice first drum beat over a creative layering of the low flute (which reminds me... did i forget to use that flute? i was all about it). it moves, it's EQ'ed all to pieces, and it's dirty. your samples provide a really good texture on top of the backbeat, but i wasn't thrilled about the loud keys. if i were to have those in the song, i'd have moved them back in the mix with some attenuation and reverb. otherwise a great vibe and well executed.

e-styles - the hard panning of the guitar and viola was just plain nuts. that worked out well. i like the beat that comes in at 0:41, but not for what you laid out in the beginning. and squaring the piano at around 1:03 ruined the crystalline quality for me. but maybe that's what you were going for. and did you change the pitch of the samples yourself, halfway into the track? if so, that's pretty frickin impressive. you have an interesting style.

asphyx - more hard panning, different application, excellent results. drums take a back seat and in this case i think it was a good choice. my camp would probably say that this beat has that haunting quality that ends up in most of my tracks. you and red scare should have allowed some silence after your respective joints, added a reverb tail, and left us all sitting there flipping out. reverb tails are your friend (see: left-panned single elec piano notes).

TPA - your knack for sweeps and layering is enviable. that's that soundscape documentary soundtrack shit. i really liked it. the snare hits kinda bothered me because i wanted to pinch them together. i was expecting more. longer, more change and movement into different segments, just more stuff.

red scare - i won't even get into it. i have nothing to say to you. (good job, by the way.)

i'ma feel like a dick if there's anyone i left out.

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

okay...people have until tomorrow to submit their track. early tomorrow when i wake up i am going to start the poll. I'm assuming that we're only waiting on Planit though.

also, if people could refrain from giving feedback until i start the voting thread, that would be cool. not that its not hugely appreciated anyway, but i think it will make the vote thread a bit more interesting to hear people's feedback then, once all the tracks are submitted

Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Holy shit wtf! I thought we had a week or more on this. Didn't know it came this fast. I have mine done, just gotta mix it right...which I won't have time to do until I get home from all this other outside shit I have to do.

Don't ex-clude me, I'll have mine posted. Probably won't be until about 10pm or something. but I will. Hopefully there's no issues with that. 1ne

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

^haha, no problem

citizen

Post by citizen »

aight if i do some more on mine and resubmit by tonight?

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

^sure

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

TPA came with some different shit. I'm interested to hear some vocals over it. Nice melodic tone over some crisp drums.

QWALMS brought some heat, too. Got some hard hitting back a nice groove. Sounds like it should be less muffled but other than that good job.

Haven't heard everyone else's but I will check them out.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Corpz

Post by Corpz »

i missed the damn battle.... ima listen to everyones shit when i get home tho..

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

torchETB wrote:
QWALMS wrote:meh. no low end, just some pretty beefy bass drum.
aw man did you just upload a WAV? yer killin me, smalls!!
haha, my bad. didn't even think about it. mp3 compression is that one that's killin' me.

e-styles

Post by e-styles »

torchETB wrote:e-styles - the hard panning of the guitar and viola was just plain nuts. that worked out well. i like the beat that comes in at 0:41, but not for what you laid out in the beginning. and squaring the piano at around 1:03 ruined the crystalline quality for me.
thanks! damn, i would say exactly the same things describing my track. because i just sent what i had to not miss the deadline.. so i will finish it properly and re-upload it.
Last edited by e-styles on Sat May 12, 2007 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Brazen

Post by Brazen »

Apologize for the tardiness:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6VWQF6IZ

I had one more break and two more drops I was gonna do to bring in another instrument but it's allll good lol. Maybe it's a better idea to be straight forward with it anyway. Hope y'all enjoy. Listen...

e-styles

Post by e-styles »

Can-U

Post by Can-U »

i'm waiting for some fuckin planit, c'mon

Corpz

Post by Corpz »

:naswtf: we can still submit??
i was just gonna come here on some "heres my track even tho its not in the battle" shit... I even named my beat "Late Damnit"... here it is tho...

http://www.sendspace.com/file/0wq86q

ima start downloadin everyones beats now.

citizen

Post by citizen »

here, didnt get a chance to change it any

http://www.sendspace.com/file/n5620c

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

In all honesty, my shit's not gonna be done till Sunday. I exaggerate how quickly I can do things, and I haven't had a lot of time outside of work lately. So just post the poll, and I'll submit mine with my next beat update (in the near, near future) because I like where it's going.

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

you heard the man.. start the poll!

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

i hate to leave Planit out of the poll, 'cause I think he stands a good chance of winning, but I also think it would be unfair to everyone else if we waited any longer.

So I'm gonna start the poll in a few minutes

good luck y'all

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Can you throw me in late?

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

yeah sure

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

You the man.