Brother Ali - Truth Is Remix - Voting (5/11-5/18)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Vote for your favorite remix

Equalibrum
40%
Pensive
10%
Per Abdul
35%
Red Scare
2%
Rosario
2%
Tayo
1%
T.E.C.K.
10%

Total votes: 280

ROSARIO

Post by ROSARIO »

haah yea it was a good derailer.

Reflection

Post by Reflection »

there's no need to make this thread uglier than it already is.
I found this thread to be both beautiful and charming!

:phila:
"This tastes nothing like creme of asparagus soup!"

Z2

Post by Z2 »

I think that everyone saw this kind of thing coming. If I remember correctly, early in this contest's life people were predicting that this very thing would happen.
To add to that, Philaflava promoted campaigning, so I don't see why all the fuss isn't going more towards the organizers than the contestants.
The judges at RSE should have the last word imo.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Z2 wrote: To add to that, Philaflava promoted campaigning, so I don't see why all the fuss isn't going more towards the organizers than the contestants.
Yes, we're all for people getting behind their work and campaigning. We're not for people attempting to sign-up multiple times for shill voting. We want the votes to count.
The judges at RSE should have the last word imo.
No, actually the winner of the poll wins. Plain and simple. If anything I'm the only one who is monitoring the process and regulating if need be.

goldenstateofmind

Post by goldenstateofmind »

Philaflava wrote:
No, actually the winner of the poll wins. Plain and simple. If anything I'm the only one who is monitoring the process and regulating if need be.
i think what he was trying to say is that the way the system this is working in is a little backwards. there are alot of people complaining about so and so's beats not making the finals...what could have fixed this and what i think should have went down was to have a poll amongst the contestants (no voting for yourself obviously) for the finalists, then have the dudes at rhymesayers call the winner. would have cut down on all this beef over campaigning and bs votes, at least.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

goldenstateofmind wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
i think what he was trying to say is that the way the system this is working in is a little backwards. there are alot of people complaining about so and so's beats not making the finals...what could have fixed this and what i think should have went down was to have a poll amongst the contestants (no voting for yourself obviously) for the finalists, then have the dudes at rhymesayers call the winner. would have cut down on all this beef over campaigning and bs votes, at least.
There would have been bickering regardless. No matter how we would have done it somebody would have said "what happened to ______?" or claimed somebody was shammin' the votes.

RSE hand picked these beats along with myself from 37 to 7. We felt this represented the best of the bunch and yes I didn't have say in all 7, but collectively this is what we got.

I don't mind the campaigning. It's good for the finalist. It's good for the site. It's good for Brother Ali. The most important thing RSE stressed was giving too many options. We wanted this to be clean, simple and effective not overwhelming and spread out.

thekeentwo
Lisa Bonet With Talent

Post by thekeentwo »

As the :phila: Turns

you're doing a fine job gloss.

contest is great and thread is hilarious. it's a win/win.

DaSeptaKon

Post by DaSeptaKon »

:naswtf: Why can't I get the flash isht to show, Allow HTML is on and all. Any help?

thekeentwo
Lisa Bonet With Talent

Post by thekeentwo »

what browser do you have? it works in IE, firefox and safari i believe.

if not there is a zip file of all the finalist beats in another thread.

go septa.

DaSeptaKon

Post by DaSeptaKon »

Thanks man, any chance you are Keen One from off Bucktown in WP.

perabigail

Post by perabigail »

some things have happened recently that have reflected badly upon us and damaged the integrity of the contest, and for this we apologize. someone out of our camp obviously got a little too excited and made an unecessary comment. we had no intentions of this sort at all.

however, whether it's eq or us (i believe we are the only ones 'campaigning' at this point) that you are talking about in regards to
I think it's a little foul that a certain finalist is signing up MULTIPLE times to vote

i have to believe that it is not the "finalist" doing this but probably an overzealous friend or fan who took it step too far. this isn't philaflavas fault, but with the voting system as it is, it's pretty easy for some dipshit to abuse it.

we're just as bummed about all the bs as anyone else, but there won't be anymore coming from our side. i hope all is still well with the contest.

thekeentwo
Lisa Bonet With Talent

Post by thekeentwo »

DaSeptaKon wrote:Thanks man, any chance you are Keen One from off Bucktown in WP.
no idea who that is.

dumbfoundead

yoyo

Post by dumbfoundead »

voted for equilibrium.

redposse

Re: yoyo

Post by redposse »

dumbfoundead wrote:voted for equilibrium.
+ 1

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Looks like its down to just 2 players in the final 3 days. Good luck and may the best remix win.

readyrock

Post by readyrock »

Definitely feeling the cello on the TECK mix, but it seems it is not to be.

seezmeezy

Post by seezmeezy »

the contest is itself flawed because it is statisically and logically improbable for an "outsider" to win. an outsider's victory would marginalize philaflava's role in the contest.

fine.

popularity in this contest is relative to presence on this site. in response to the inherent advantage being used by the more popular contestants, the less popular contestants need to make up ground by registering votes under different emails. while this may not be in the spirit of the contest, it is most certainly in its law.

fine.

philaflava has offered each of these producers a great opportunity that no one else took the time and energy to make available. if you don't like how this contest is being run, run your own.

t.e.c.k! is my preference because he is my producer/biological father. short of killing a baby, i would do whatever it takes to make daddy proud.

i leave you with this-
be honest with yourself when answering this one: if the less popular contestants weren't using every advantage available, what is the point of even entering the contest?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

The only regular Philaflava member in the finals is Red Scare. The rest are relatively new or unheard of to the majority of us. See post count and registeration date.

But yeah this contest is not all about the best. I mean the 7 were choosen by the judges and just the judges. In the grand scheme, those selected won because they got RSE hearing their shit. Ali, Slug, Ant all heard these remixes and the chance to win the prizes, well that's just a bonus.

The is contest is suppose to be fun, not the end all.

readyrock

Post by readyrock »

i leave you with this-
be honest with yourself when answering this one: if the less popular contestants weren't using every advantage available, what is the point of even entering the contest?
Even if you claim that the outcome of this contest can be determined by outside voting and therefore disproportionately rewards better organizers rather than the better producers, I still don't see how that justifies shill accounts.

It's all about getting your name out there anyway...it's not really a victory if you won off fake votes. Those yahoo accounts aren't going to come to your next show.[/quote]

seezmeezy

Post by seezmeezy »

my bust on not checking the stats of the users. while they render my point moot for the most part, i still feel that philaflava is getting more shit flung their way than they deserve.

i couldn't agree more with the notion that it's for fun. i am having fun. i just told a co worker, "hey asshole- your life is depressing because you sit here and actually do work. my life is fulfilling because i get paid to think about rap music. point meezy."

Can-U

Post by Can-U »

Philaflava wrote:The only regular Philaflava member in the finals is Red Scare. The rest are relatively new or unheard of to the majority of us. See post count and registeration date.

But yeah this contest is not all about the best. I mean the 7 were choosen by the judges and just the judges. In the grand scheme, those selected won because they got RSE hearing their shit. Ali, Slug, Ant all heard these remixes and the chance to win the prizes, well that's just a bonus.

The is contest is suppose to be fun, not the end all.
tayo is on here a lot too he just doesnt post. I'd also say he's probably the most popular producer from board members who vote on here. I dont think the contest is flawed in that only a board member will win. because in reality thats not true. I think it takes away from the integrity of who had the best remix by campaigning but hey music is pretty much all subjective anyway so let the hustle decide it i suppose.

penny

Post by penny »

I think the REAL pleasure for any of these finalists is in knowing that they MADE the finalists, and that Slug, Ali, Ant, or any combination of the guys, are the ones that got them there... I mean come on, how often does someone get to say that?

..while the odds are stacked against the newcomers, so to say, as far as popularity, reputation, posts, etc... I think its a great opportunity for them to work their 'hustle' and self-promotion skills, I mean, thats where it all starts, right..?

Since none of the "multiple votes" described earlier were actually counted in the current tally, unfair play can't really be a viable issue at this point, so I'm over it. I don't suspect foul play from either finalist, I think they are just working they're asses off.
I don't mind the campaigning. It's good for the finalist. It's good for the site. It's good for Brother Ali.
good luck, play fair, and HAVE FUN.. I'll be seeing you alls on the board now
i'm the primary breadwinner in this relationshit

qenetic|storm

Post by qenetic|storm »

yeah. i voted for eq as well. the vibe of the beat was on point
to the vocals. nice work.

glitchwillis

Post by glitchwillis »

i gotta say i'm super torn here... between equalibrum and t.E.C.K. its a tough choice. both are super talented and deserve to be featured on the rhymesayers site. I'm gonna have to listen to both of these a few times before i make my final decision.

CasOne

Post by CasOne »

so close soooo close. who's it gonna be??

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

How many of these one-post wonders will stay after the 18th? :killacam:

thekeentwo
Lisa Bonet With Talent

Post by thekeentwo »

six.

glitchwillis

Post by glitchwillis »

Philaflava wrote:How many of these one-post wonders will stay after the 18th? :killacam:
gotta say... if i'd known this site was around prior to being pointed towards this poll, i would have been on it long before. in fact, if i had known about the contest i might have actually submitted a rmx myself. you'll probably see this one-post wonder again.

goldenstateofmind

Post by goldenstateofmind »

i signed up just to vote, but this forum is just dope enough for me to stick around for a while

Z2

Post by Z2 »

Philaflava wrote:How many of these one-post wonders will stay after the 18th? :killacam:
Mind if I stay till the 19th?