Blaxploitation beat battle voting thread

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

The Red Scare

Blaxploitation beat battle voting thread

Post by The Red Scare »

Thanks to all the participants, and especially to Jimmy HiffHoffa for providing the awesome soundtracks.

If anyone still wants to submit a beat, post it ASAP!

The contestants:

ardamus
deepfriedjello
Nacho Vidal
The Phat Anorexic
QWALMS
The Red Scare

To vote, list your 3 favorites in order. First place gets 3 points, second place 2 points, third place 1 point. The person with the most points wins. Voting will last until Friday.

Good luck!

Zipped folder of all 6 beats:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/dc1fag

Or......

Ardamus: http://www.zshare.net/audio/4533108f72e079/

deepfriedjello: http://www.zshare.net/audio/453313746c0970/

Nacho Vidal: http://www.zshare.net/audio/4533217e7a2300/

The Phat Anorexic: http://www.zshare.net/audio/45332164bc3315/

QWALMS: http://www.zshare.net/audio/453323777c3748/

The Red Scare: http://www.zshare.net/audio/45332419883410/
Last edited by The Red Scare on Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Nacho Vidal

Post by Nacho Vidal »

Hey Red. It'd be more voter friendly to post each track individually as a zshare link. What you think?

That way people who don't have a vested interest in the outcome of the battle might still peep the tracks and weigh in. Joe Random isn't gonna wanna download an 18 meg file just to vote in a battle he hasn't participated in.
"Word is bond, I am the baddest...and all the honeys out there, word is bond, you know my status"

Nacho Vidal

Post by Nacho Vidal »

Deepfried Jello - Hmm. Strange. I see what you tried to do, but everything seemed placed kinda randomly and the panning was overdone and unnecessary at times. This isn't without merit, but I don't feel like it was executed all that well.

Ardamus - Dammit, your drums could make anything sound sick. Lots of energy as usual. This track feels like someone gave you 3 or 4 pre-chopped two-second wav segments and you did with it what you could, which is dopeness. But with the range of samples given I feel you coulda done more.

Red Scare - Beat is very well done, but doesn't go down well with the vocals, imo. Might sound better if you speed it up a little. To me, it feels as though Mos re-spit this for the remix, but used the original vocals and had a hard time fitting them to this new beat. Once that classical strum drops out of the mix though, this is lovely.

QWALMS - Easily my favourite. The reverb on the drums works really well. I love how you flipped this otherwise mediocre sample. Nothing bad to say here.

Phat Anorexic - Qwalms murdered this sooo bad, it's hard to compare yours. Still a decent effort.

Nacho Vidal - The sample I chose was kinda limiting but I think I did okay. That's for you all to decide.

Can i vote for myself? If not, this is my lineup.

First place - QWALMS
Second place - Ardamus
Third - Red Scare
"Word is bond, I am the baddest...and all the honeys out there, word is bond, you know my status"

twob

Post by twob »

Can I get mine in later today? Didn't have much time to bounce down and upload shit when I did get home yesterday.

If not, well, next time.
how about you ease up on the hotdogs?

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

deepfriedjello --- This got some a good swinging kind of movement to it. It feels like where the part where the horns come in at first should have something else back up. I like the fact you built up the track but it feels like those guitars could've been used earlier in the track. Those drums are dope though. Good stuff.

Nacho Vidal --- Nice intro. and flip of the Nas acapella was tight. That humming voice kind of doesn't do it for me. If there was an effect on the voice, I'd dig that a bit more. Other than that, its good stuff.

The Phat Anoxrexic --- The way you did the drums for some reason makes me think of something Dilla would do. The way it would drag a bit but stay on beat. The guitar's a bit to repetitive for me for the main part at first so I'm glad you flip the organ part later in the track. Great development on this track.

QWALMS --- Good lord this shit is tight as hell. Those horns came in strong and the drums are crazy. I really don't have anyhing to critique on this one. Matter of fact, I'd say for the posse cut.....this might be a winner.

The Red Scare --- The original felt it needed a remix. To me, this track is almost there and I could tell getting Mos Def's vocals match was a bitch :lol:. I like this track because its real chill and mello; good quality drums and the samples sound crisp as hell. From your past stuff from before that I've heard its my least favorite and I'll still like this one.

1st - QWALMS
2nd - Phat Anorexic
3rd - Nacho Vidal
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

torchETB

Post by torchETB »

"First place gets 1 point..."

awesome
Galvatron78 wrote:I'm that nigga that dont even eat long french fries so that gay shit is out of the question.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

torchETB wrote:"First place gets 1 point..."

awesome
:grin: i just noticed that

Nacho Vidal

Post by Nacho Vidal »

You know what? I'm listening again, this time on "shitty pc speakers" as opposed to headphones before, and Ardamus' shit is the shit. I really didn't give him enough credit before in my comments. This track is infectious.

Phat Anorexic had a ill break-down at the end of his track too.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Nacho Vidal wrote:You know what? I'm listening again, this time on "shitty pc speakers" as opposed to headphones before, and Ardamus' shit is the shit. I really didn't give him enough credit before in my comments. This track is infectious.

Phat Anorexic had a ill break-down at the end of his track too.
nah its all good. the point is that you liked the beat.

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

damn, when was this due? i just got back into town, ill try to make a beat tonight, but damn. my bad yo

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Piff Tannen wrote:damn, when was this due? i just got back into town, ill try to make a beat tonight, but damn. my bad yo
you too late :lol:

get in the horror battle though

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

party ardy - it really is the shit. it's got a strong feel to it, real neck snapper shit. as always, the drums take the commanding lead, though i thought the other elements could have been brought up in the mix.

jello - i like what you did here, a lot actually. the subtle phaser adds a nice touch the the guitar sample. there's just too much open space though, not enough movement. this almost sounds like a madlib type beat cd effort. shit is cool.

anorexic - i told ya, boy. :grin: shit is tight. i really like your chops. get a tad repetitive, but so does mine. heh. definitely feel what ardamus is saying about the dilla-esque drums, which are the strong point to me in this one. great guitar chops, and the vocal sample is dope as fuck, brings it together for sure. the transition to the organ was a real abrupt and it sounds a bit out of key to me. otherwise a dope beat.

nacho - this one is fucking dope. the beat has a real classic feel. i'm always a big fan of an element getting repeated on 16th notes, and the string stab here is no different. definitely an emcee-friendly beat. one of my favs.

scare - man, this is dope. i really like how you matched the guitar parts so well and had the strings behind it. way sick. i would have much preferred to hear this as a standalone instrumental, though. i think the verse took away from the beat.

1) scare
2) ardy
3) nacho

good battle everybody. can't wait for the next one. chyea!

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Hopefully everyone's had a chance to download "24 Hours to Live" to listen to my beat and declare me the immediate victor.

Will get around to listening to these and voting by today or tomorrow. Can't wait!

Kid Wave

Post by Kid Wave »

Maybe it's just me but aren't remixes vs. instrumentals a little unfair ?

deepfriedjellol

Post by deepfriedjellol »

Ardamus: i knew it was gonna bang when i heard the first sample chopped as a build - love how the vocal sample was flipped and used percussively - very dope, fluidly done

deepfriedjello: yeah, i was baked the entire time - hahahah

Nacho Vidal: love the build, love the use of the sample without drums, when the drums finally dropped i was lovin it, until the whoooaaa came in - that bugged me on the record, it gives me the heeby jeebies in a creepy "im your favorite pedo bear" kind of way - but besides the whooaaa, tight fucking shit

The Phat Anorexic: loop-ed and layer-ed for sure - not too impressed with the organ coming in - caused me to open my eyes all three times i listened to it - but damn if those drums aint piss me off in their titsness

QWALMS: easiest my favorite here - took samples from two or three different spots and just made it KNOCK - i havent been following the posse cut debacle, but this is just monstrous
actually downloaded this to keep it around

The Red Scare: loved the strings, loved the guitars - not too keen on the arrangement with mos's spits - but as an instro, this would knock

1st - QWALMS
2nd - ardy
3rd - phatty

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Kid Wave wrote:Maybe it's just me but aren't remixes vs. instrumentals a little unfair ?
nah not really......i mean, we could take a vote on that and see if its unfair but i don't think it is

torchETB

Post by torchETB »

ardamus wrote:
Kid Wave wrote:Maybe it's just me but aren't remixes vs. instrumentals a little unfair ?
nah not really......i mean, we could take a vote on that and see if its unfair but i don't think it is
I don't know if unfair is the word. It's another ballgame, though. Not every beat in these battles is suitable for vocals, though many of those do bang. And vice versa.

We're all smart kids here; hopefully when we're listening to these joints we're taking into account that some of the producers here are not into a standalone opus, but rather leave some room in their tracks for hot raprap. And vice versa.

(edit: i'ma try to drop my feedback later. until when can i do that?)
(edit: must be typo day)
Galvatron78 wrote:I'm that nigga that dont even eat long french fries so that gay shit is out of the question.

The Red Scare

Post by The Red Scare »

Well apparently making mine a remix is only hurting my chances.

In the other thread we agreed that it was fine if people wanted to add vocals. I think it makes things more interesting. If a beat is made for an emcee, I'd prefer hearing it that way.

Anyway, my feedback is on the way.

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Yeah, next time, let's not have acapellas thrown onto the beats unless it's a remix competition. It's distracting, and I think it hurts the entry sometimes, such as in Red Scare's case. Good music is good music, and if something is intended for an emcee, the people who vote here will be smart enough to figure that out.

Ardamus - Quite a tasty little banger. Could've benefited from being a shade slower. The chops feel like they're falling on top of each other occasionally. But the drum work is crazy, and the whole thing feels good.

Deepfried - Hmmm... definitely has strengths, but the progression just feels very awkward. There's not enough happening in the intro to keep it interesting for as long as it happens. And I'd probably like this a lot more if the snare was different. But there are parts that're ridiculously smooth.

Nacho - Solid beat. Definitely feels grand. I just wish you left all of the vocal shit off of it, from the O'Reilly sample to the acapellas. I just want to hear the beat. Not to mention the vocal sample overpowers the vocals. The drums could be a little thicker, too. Other than that, shit is swell.

Qwalms - Very heavy. Great intro, great drop. Dunno if it would suit a posse cut like everyone says. And that guitar sample occasionally sounds out of place. Or at least you're abusing it a little. But I like how much space this beat feels, I like how hard it hits, etc. Good stuff.

Anorexic - Gets a little repetitive, but I like the swing to it a lot. And the change between the organ and the guitar is pretty nice. Some smooth-ass shit, for sure. I like the way the samples occasionally trail a little, too. This is probably my favorite beat of the bunch.

Red Scare - The string movements are lovely, but frankly, the beat feels a little corny, and Mos Def does not help that. Nothing wrong with it, I just sort of feel like I'm listening to the Verve Pipe. Coolio would kill it for sure. And it certainly moves. Just doesn't scream like a lot of your shit.

1st - Anoerxis
2nd - Ardamus
3rd - Qwalms

Edit: Switched Ardy's and Qwalms' positions at the last second. Sorry, Qwalms, I had to go back to really be fair about it.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

ardamus: i like this one, the chops are effective and it'd be easy to rap to.

dfj: you avoided the obvious part of the sample, thats good. i like the tambourines a lot and the high pitch guitar with the organs. not a big fan of the beat made with stab kinda sounds. sometimes you overdo the skipping and panning i feel.

nacho: i used this sample and tried to make it westcoast. the vocals are slightly odd but its aight. you coulda did a bit more with the bass perhaps. x sounds better than nas on this.

phat: i like this loop a lot and how you did the drums. the organ part is more dull than the first i think,

qwalms: i like the sound of the drums and the horns that come in. not a fan of the slinky sound. i like where it develops later where theres more horn sound.

red: interesting and very cinematic. you blend the guitar in smooth and back mos perfectly.

1) red
2) qwalms
3) phat
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

Captin Planit wrote:Edit: Switched Ardy's and Qwalms' positions at the last second. Sorry, Qwalms, I had to go back to really be fair about it.
no reason to be sorry, doggie. do what you have to do.

dox of poorly drawn peopl

Post by dox of poorly drawn peopl »

haven't listen to these enough to vote.

but i'm loving qwalm's right now. out of curiosity, did you makes this on the mpc? i remember a little while ago you said you copped one.
the poster formerly known as dead jesus
http://www.myspace.com/justinsayles

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

QWALMS got this one already. Fuck it, I'm calling it how I see it.

torchETB

Post by torchETB »

ardamus wrote:QWALMS got this one already. Fuck it, I'm calling it how I see it.
or, you have that live feed and you're not sharing.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

torchETB wrote:
ardamus wrote:QWALMS got this one already. Fuck it, I'm calling it how I see it.
or, you have that live feed and you're not sharing.
nah man, i'm going by the points system from what i'm seeing so far :lol:

deepfriedjellol

Post by deepfriedjellol »

haha
you bastards and your feeds

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

dox of poorly drawn peopl wrote:haven't listen to these enough to vote.

but i'm loving qwalm's right now. out of curiosity, did you makes this on the mpc? i remember a little while ago you said you copped one.
nope. not that familiar with it yet. school's been fucking heavy lately, midterms and all that goodness. haven't had the time to devote much effort into it. but i hope to change that sooner than later.

LiQuiD6

Post by LiQuiD6 »

Qualms got this imo......drums are on point...big sounds....lots of samples.....its not the easiest joint to spit on but it has that organized noise type vibe off it....meaning theres a whole bunch of shit goin on that really doesnt fit...but somehow it does....its a soundscape that works....

red scare is next.....imo the idea is pretty much there.....the way you chopped up that guitar lick up is fire....the bass line kinda killed it for me.....i think it was the sound and programming...and how up front it is and doesnt provide the beat with any movement since the drums are so simple....usually if the drums are simple i like to hear more from bass....and if the drums are heavy then i make the bass take a backseat....in here it felt like both of em kinda took a break and didnt wanna stand out.....that said the sample layering is on point...and thats
what really stood out for me...

nacho is my 3rd...i actually liked the way he flipped that sample....its pretty overused and everyone and thier mother is shopping that shit....but he flipped it in a way i havent heard before.....prolly coulda took the 2nd spot if the drums were harder...cause they were thin as all hell.....matter of fact that snare sounds like it came off an old emu machine...some 8 or 12 bit shit....love the bass line.....just wish the drum sounds and programming came together....

i was supposed to be in this shit and i forgot all about it...i actually had the beat pretty much done which i easily could have finished.....just never thought about it till i came to the site today

heres what i did just for the fuck of it:
http://www.zshare.net/audio/456905794f788c/
Last edited by LiQuiD6 on Wed Oct 31, 2007 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best hip hop producer you never heard of:

www.myspace.com/liquid6dustmightz

Martin

Post by Martin »

qwalms no question.

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

LiQuiD6 wrote: heres what i did just for the fuck of it:
http://www.zshare.net/audio/456905794f788c/
good to know i won by default. :lol: