Total votes: 79

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Round 2: The Cold Vein vs. Funcrusher Plus

Post by Philaflava »

Cannibal Ox - The Cold Vein

vs.

Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus
Last edited by Philaflava on Wed Nov 07, 2007 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

I'd rather vote in a who's the better poster - Jen or SYMantiks? poll than vote for either of these swirling 'n' twirling pieces of unlistenable shit.

birdboogie

Post by birdboogie »

The two off beat rappers on Cold Vien are less off beat than the two offbeat rappers on Funcrusher plus.

DLG

Post by DLG »

in before the dipset chique white people who have never heard a coltrane album make more "off-beat" comments.

LONDON

Post by LONDON »

their both underground classics, bonafield, both groundbreaking in lyrics, production, but for some reason I've got to run wit Cold Vein, true stories
"get this money by all means necesssary"

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

ive never heard cold vein and funcrusher has a few good songs

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

cold vein easily imo

citizen

Post by citizen »

cold vein has more soul

iron galaxy is easily the second best song ever made

RacquetballGangsta

Post by RacquetballGangsta »

the cold vein is like funcrusher plus on steroids
twitter.com/deweydimbabwe
www.stonesthrow.com/vex

nett ist der kleine bruder von scheiße

JaH BLaZe

Post by JaH BLaZe »

cold vein

bringinoutbangerz
The Homer

Post by bringinoutbangerz »

When Symantiks posts nothing its a beautiful use of negative space

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

company flow

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

clark bent wrote:ive never heard cold vein and funcrusher has a few good songs
That's exactly where I'm coming from too. I've heard plenty of Yak Ballz tracks on the radio, and the only one that I ever liked was "Homepiss". I never saw the point in purchasing this full-length, despite the hype.

"Funcrusher Plus" has it's moments. It's easy to hate on El-P, but his pre-2001 production was remarkable, and he was above average on the mic early on (I'd say up until late 98/early 99).

marinville

Post by marinville »

DLG wrote:in before the dipset chique white people who have never heard a coltrane album make more "off-beat" comments.
good analogy, douche.

by your logic mindbender is a visionary.

voted for bone thugs.

citizen

Post by citizen »

Roy Johnson wrote:
That's exactly where I'm coming from too. I've heard plenty of Yak Ballz tracks on the radio, and the only one that I ever liked was "Homepiss". I never saw the point in purchasing this full-length, despite the hype.

"Funcrusher Plus" has it's moments. It's easy to hate on El-P, but his pre-2001 production was remarkable, and he was above average on the mic early on (I'd say up until late 98/early 99).
i seriously hope you are not going to substitute hearing a few yak ballz songs for listening to the cold vein

thats like saying no ive never heard illmatic but i have heard some infamous mob songs on the radio

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

citizen wrote: i seriously hope you are not going to substitute hearing a few yak ballz songs to listening to the cold vein

thats like saying no ive never heard illmatic but i have heard some infamous mob songs ob the radio
I've heard a shitload of Yak Ballz tracks, though. Kevin Beacham always used to play that stuff on the "Time Travel" show (Chicago, 1995-2002).

citizen

Post by citizen »

Roy Johnson wrote:
citizen wrote: i seriously hope you are not going to substitute hearing a few yak ballz songs to listening to the cold vein

thats like saying no ive never heard illmatic but i have heard some infamous mob songs ob the radio
I've heard a shitload of Yak Ballz tracks, though. Kevin Beacham always used to play that stuff on the "Time Travel" show (Chicago, 1995-2002).
do yourself a favor then

BigCat8

Post by BigCat8 »

Roy Johnson wrote:

You do realize that Cold Vein is a Cannibal Ox album, right?

RIGHT?!?

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

RacquetballGangsta wrote:the cold vein is like funcrusher plus on steroids
Co-sign.

Cold Vein was when El-P was at the top of his game, and Vordul Mega and Vast Aire complement each other perfectly, like the fucking Batman & Robin of underground rap.

Funcrusher Plus is a dope album as well, but it has a few skip tracks on it, whereas I listen the Cold Vein beginning to end every time. One of the most unique albums ever.

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

BigCat8 wrote: You do realize that Cold Vein is a Cannibal Ox album, right?

RIGHT?!?
Yeah. Ain't Yak Ballz involved on that album? Or maybe I'm thinking of something else.

I never liked Vast Aire, though. His voice sucks, and his flow is even worse. The only Atoms Family stuff that stood out to me was the late 90s Alaska material, and the 20,000 remixes for "Nothing Really Happens" by Wind & Breeze.

I've heard it all at one time or another. The Atoms Family hooked Kevin Beacham up with all of their demos & he played that shit to death. The whole crew came down for a show back in early 2000 & they freestyled for like 45 minutes straight. Vast Aire was unbelievably bad, which goes without saying (of course).

citizen

Post by citizen »

you seem like a cool guy, but apparently you have very little idea about what the cold vein is, yak is not involved at all and i wouldnt necessarily compare to other atoms fam stuff

marinville

Post by marinville »

the cold vein is the only thing either of those rappers involved have ever done that is any good at all. you cant really say vast sucks on everything you've ever heard so you dont wanna hear the cold vein, thats backwards. everyone knows vast sucks on everything else, its a given. the cold vein is good. its like saying you dont wanna hear illmatic because nas was wack on hip hop is dead.

its should go without saying that I could give a shit if you ever hear it. I'm not trying to be like: oh my god, go dl that shit now. I'm just saying: contrary to all logic, its a good listen.

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

marinville wrote:the cold vein is the only thing either of those rappers involved have ever done that is any good at all. you cant really say vast sucks on everything you've ever heard so you dont wanna hear the cold vein, thats backwards. everyone knows vast sucks on everything else, its a given. the cold vein is good. its like saying you dont wanna hear illmatic because nas was wack on hip hop is dead.

its should go without saying that I could give a shit if you ever hear it. I'm not trying to be like: oh my god, go dl that shit now. I'm just saying: contrary to all logic, its a good listen.
You guys made me feel like an asshole, so I went ahead and downloaded it.

I'm familiar with these tracks via Time Travel: Iron Galaxy, Straight Off The D.I.C., Atom (although not the album version, maybe the original or a remix), and Ridiculoid.

I like some of the beats, but I'm definitely not a fan of Vast Aire.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

citizen wrote:
thats like saying no ive never heard illmatic but i have heard some infamous mob songs on the radio
it's really not though.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

citizen

Post by citizen »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
citizen wrote:
it's really not though.
it was a bit of an exageration

Thun

Post by Thun »

Lock thread.

D. James

Post by D. James »

Paragraph President wrote:Lock thread.
Do you still own both albums?

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

D. James wrote:
Paragraph President wrote:Lock thread.
Do you still own both albums?
LOL.

I've never heard Funcrusher Plus in its entirety, but I like some of the singles and that DJ Premier remix of that song off it a lot.

"Stress Rap" is phenomonal and has one of the beats this side of 2000, but the rest of Cold Vein is good, not great.

BigCat8

Post by BigCat8 »

Icesickle wrote:I've never heard Funcrusher Plus in its entirety, but I like some of the singles and that DJ Premier remix of that song off it a lot.
:upload:

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

BigCat8 wrote:
Icesickle wrote:I've never heard Funcrusher Plus in its entirety, but I like some of the singles and that DJ Premier remix of that song off it a lot.
:upload:
pretty sure such a thing doesn't exist..
he put 8 steps to perfection on that one mixtape tho