General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

DJ Revolution murks Khaled, Whoo Kid, DJ Clue

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

from WWW.XXLMAG.COM

DJ Revolution Speaks On DJ Clue, Whoo Kid, Khaled

Semantik over at Cratekings.com has a good interview up with DJ Revolution, where the legendary (but still relevant) DJ has some interesting things to say about the current state of DJ culture. There are a couple interesting quotes, in particular, when asked about how the role of the DJ has changed, Rev
says:

ג€œWhen the MCג€™s decided to cast off the DJ, the DJ had no other choice, but to make a living so he started hustling and doing other thingsג€¦. Then it broke off into subculturesג€¦ youג€™ve got your turntablists and you developed superstars in that category like Q-bert, The X-Men, Babu, The Beatjunkies, and myself. Then on the other side youג€™ve got your Clues, and the Whoo Kids, and the people who arenג€™tג€™ really doing shit, but are claiming to do shit. Not that I donג€™t have any respect for these guys, I can always respect somebodyג€™s hustle, but thatג€™s all they really are is hustlers. However you can make your money is all good, but youג€™re not what you claim you are, youג€™re just a hustler.ג€

Iג€™m loving the fact that a reputable DJ actually came out and addressed the DJ ג€œhustlerג€ ethos in hip-hop. It could be perceived as somewhat high-minded on his part, and itג€™s not like heג€™s hating on them, but it is true that a lot of these DJs are just great self-promoters. Nothing more really. In reality, theyג€™re overrated and donג€™t have much talent beyond sucking some ג€œhotג€ rapper off for an exclusive. That is why the DJ is dead. Still, people perceive these DJs as something theyג€™re not, which is, yaג€™know, a guy who can play records and maybe even rock a party.

But then he goes on to talk about how this works with some DJs (*cough* Khaled *cough*) purporting to be producers.

ג€œ[Producers] need to make their records. Letג€™ just take DJ Khaled for an example. The dude doesnג€™t produce and he doesnג€™t DJ, but heג€™s on the radio and TV acting like a producer and a DJ, but heג€™s notג€¦. heג€™s just an A&R. He pays people money to make a record and puts his name on it. Now, thereג€™s nothing wrong with that, but youג€™re just an A&R, youג€™re just a guy who put a project together. Everyone perceives him as this guy that just puts records together.ג€

Wow. First off, I think because Khaled is about ג€œunity and love,ג€ and heג€™s overall just a pretty gregarious fellow, nobody calls him out for the bullshit he tries to pull with his DJ/producer title. I mean, I like Khaled, but cג€™mon, his albums are really just an extension of his brand. On his new LP, We Global, he only has production credits on 1 song, and even that track, itג€™s so ridiculously musical that I doubt he was all that involved in the technical side of it. Everything else is more executive production, which is really just glorified A&R work.

I think the moral of this post is, letג€™s just keep it real and acknowledge that a large portion of the real prominent DJs in hip-hop are overglorified self-promoters who market themselves as something theyג€™re not.

Does DJ Revolution have a point, or is he just a salty hater?
:copy:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Everything he said is undeniably true but he'll get written off as "bitter" because he's not as large as the people being criticized.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Combo7 wrote:Everything he said is undeniably true but he'll get written off as "bitter" because he's not as large as the people being criticized.
nobody with a respectable amount of truth and reasonable dignity in them would call Revolution bitter.

I'm not.

dude's bitchslapping fools with the facts. gotta love it whenever it happens in hip hop.

i don't give a fuck that DJ Revolution isn't "as 'big' as "DJ" Khaled" :rofl: . Revolution is the real deal, and Khaled is a gimmicky businessman. i thought the dude actually spun some records in Miami, but if he doesn't... I'll laugh at his loud, annoying ass even more now. Ace Hood is going to flop, and so is Khaled's "We Tha Best Music" label. It's based all on hype and nonsense, and won't last long if there's no REAL ART inside it.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Combo7 wrote:Everything he said is undeniably true but he'll get written off as "bitter" because he's not as large as the people being criticized.
True but someone was gonna say this shit one of these days........
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

He's going to get called a hater.

Its the new "your mother" response for post 1994.

godmc

Post by godmc »

a&r khaled's video blogs are a true testament to his complete dipsittery. it was awkard to watch a retarded guy make a fool out of himself.
Last edited by godmc on Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

yeah, but as long as there are some people NOT calling him hater... fuck them fools who do!

if someone broke tells the truth... it's still the truth, whether they are broke or not!

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

If Khaled responds, more people may look in Revolution's direction and wonder who is he if they haven't been schooled on him. If he doesn't, only a few people will read this comment. Sucks because its something that hasn't been discussed these days as far as Djs are concerned.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

RAZAH CUTZ

Post by RAZAH CUTZ »

Revolution is kickin straight truth.....but because he's actually a real hip-hop head/DJ/Artist, most of the younger kids will take this just as blind hate....They don't know bout alll the work he's put in out west with Sway, and that remarkable radio show....they are alien to his work and his talent....

The fact is however that he knows more about the game than most because he's involved in it from all angles...he works in radio, so he undoubted understands the huge amount of bullshit politics that occurs there, but he's also is an artist, a DJ and owns his own company and has for well over a decade.

So if you look at this intelligently there is no one more qualified to call Khaled out on his false titles than DJ Revolution....

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

Well I don't care what he says about DJ Khaled, but he'd better not talk smack about the ubiquitous DJ Khaleed!

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

I miss Rev's old column "Below 12 degrees" where he pretty much said a lot of things that needed to be aired out in the DJ community. He didn't pull any punches at all.....

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Bravo DJ Revolution

cuntface

Re: DJ Revolution murks Khaled, Whoo Kid, DJ Clue

Post by cuntface »

whoever wrote this summary of rev's statements just sounds like a giddy keep-it-realist happy that someone fairly well known echoed his opinion
Mindbender Futurama wrote:
a lot of these DJs are just great self-promoters. Nothing more really. In reality, theyג€™re overrated and donג€™t have much talent beyond sucking some ג€œhotג€ rapper off for an exclusive. That is why the DJ is dead. Still, people perceive these DJs as something theyג€™re not, which is, yaג€™know, a guy who can play records and maybe even rock a party.
:copy:
really? clue can't even play records. be serious. i would personally never pay money to see clue dj but i'm sure he can put a needle on a fucking record

sun ra
Wifey Material

Post by sun ra »

people who know rev personally, know also that he's serious in whatever he does and he wouldn't say that just to get attention, like he needs more LOL

I hate these days mixtapes, with their songs, coverart, dj's and everything. he's completely right with everything there.

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

we da best

who?

we, nigga

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Piff Tannen wrote:we da best

who?

we, nigga
it's more like "WHEEEEEE, NIIIYUGGGGGEEYAAAAHH"