LL Cool J earns a :naswtf: , and who's the GOAT?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

LL Cool J earns a :naswtf: , and who's the GOAT?

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

okay... you got the longevity trophy, and you made a good two dozen timeless bangers... but trying to respectfully son Nas is :naswtf: :naswtf: :naswtf:

LL Cool J speaks to The Associated Press:

On 50: Working with 50 was inspiring. You have to realize I had no reason to be hungry. When you're the best at something for a long time, and you make albums in a couple months and they're still going gold or selling a million records ... and you're making a living in films and stuff, it affects the music. But watching 50 crouch over that notebook and seeing him bounce back and forth in the studio, that inspired me and made me hungry again.

On Jay-Z impacting Exit 13: As far as him leaving, it's not really relevant because I was already working on my record anyway. It was nothing he would have been able to do to stop it. It would have been what it was going to be either way. And I don't think he would have wanted to stop it.

On 25 years in the rap game: I don't have a rap artist in front of me to look at to say, "OK, what do you do when you're in your 25th year of your rap career?" Because most of the guys that are my age, they've only been out for 12 years, or 13 or 14 years max. The guys that people call veterans in hip-hop are like new guys to me. Let's take a guy like Nas. I love Nas; I respect Nas. He's from Queens and I love him, but Nas is like a new cat to me. You know what I'm saying? It's incredible to me, but I respect him as a legend and I respect him as a man. ... I just to make hot records; I want to give people hot music, and I just have to lead the way.
:jayz: x :omggay:

he's not nearly as relevant as he thinks he is.

just cause you put out music and it sells doesnt mean your music is part of what keeps the art form alive.

i respect the fuck outta LL, but let's get real now. the dude pretends he's a rapper that other rappers have on their radar as someone to fear, like his MCing is Lil Wayneish in 2008... which is pure :lol:

nothing on that new album is like 'Rampage' or even 'I'm Bad'. Its just not as shitty as 'Headsprung' or 'Zoom' :cookiecookie:

I still say Nas is the G.O.A.T. in hip hop history. :copy:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drobizhek

Post by drobizhek »

:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

LL > Nas

thebigk

Post by thebigk »

Nas > LL for me

RAZAH CUTZ

Post by RAZAH CUTZ »

He wasn't even tryin to son him man....

just pointing out that everyone calls Nas a veteran, but to him, he's still kinda like a young guy becaus he's been in the game for so long....

I can undersatnd where he's coming from with that....

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

RAZAH CUTZ wrote:He wasn't even tryin to son him man....

just pointing out that everyone calls Nas a veteran, but to him, he's still kinda like a young guy becaus he's been in the game for so long....

I can undersatnd where he's coming from with that....
I think he was playing both sides of the fence. I mean, I truly respect LL's time in the game, I got my first album in 1985 and it was his. But he's pretending that his time in the game on a major label is more important than anything else, when he hasn't released nearly as much music as Nas, and his importance to legendary lyricism is nowhere NEAR Nas's, on a real level.

LL Cool J isn't in many people's arguments these days about who's the best MC.

LL Cool J's BEST SONG EVER can't fuck with one of Nas's Top 25 songs.

plus Nas is like 35 years old and LL is 40. James Todd is buggin.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Funk Docta Bombay
Head Cynic In Charge
Location: Fuck You, Fuck You, You're cool, and fuck you I'm out.

Post by Funk Docta Bombay »

Nas>LL easily

But I'd rather hear Radio than any Nas album after It Was Written.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Rakim>Nas and LL

BlingRhames

Post by BlingRhames »

thread is gayer than a Wham and Menudo double bill, but I can't help it. I have to point out that you're out your crackshit mind if you think anything you said has anything to do with what you quoted.

All dude said is that he's been in the game longer than anyone else, and last I checked that's not really something to brag about if you're trying to sell records.
Sebastian gets busy wrote:look there is still a chANCE THIS WAS A GIRL

Seduce

Post by Seduce »

Stop responding to Mindbender posts. Everyone please.

Drastik

Re: LL Cool J earns a :naswtf: , and who's the GOAT?

Post by Drastik »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
just cause you put out music and it sells doesnt mean your music is part of what keeps the art form alive.
I'm pretty sure that's the textbook definition of hip-hop relevance, idiot.

and...
BlingRhames wrote:you're out your crackshit mind if you think anything you said has anything to do with what you quoted.
"Anything posted/said by Drastik is false and should not be taken seriously."

HomieDontPlayDat

Post by HomieDontPlayDat »

thread is super retarded. when did radio come out, 84? illmatic came out in 94. that is 10 years, mindbender. therefore, he is simply pointing out that while nas is a 'veteran', his first record came out 10 years after ll's.

ugh.

:lock:
Kalel wrote:I know a thing or two about fine ass pinot noirs

step one

Post by step one »

Mindbender Futurama wrote: LL Cool J's BEST SONG EVER can't fuck with one of Nas's Top 25 songs.
not really. Mama Said Knock You Out (the song not the album) for starters stands up to anything Nas has done and if you want to take it to the clubs, Doin It definitely> Oochie Wally

Dr. Fluffingoodz

Post by Dr. Fluffingoodz »

didnt sound like he was trying to son him at all..Im goin to cop the new LL today

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

step one wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote: LL Cool J's BEST SONG EVER can't fuck with one of Nas's Top 25 songs.
not really. Mama Said Knock You Out (the song not the album) for starters stands up to anything Nas has done and if you want to take it to the clubs, Doin It definitely> Oochie Wally
Mama Said Knock You Out is awesome, but really... put it up against Nas's Top 10, LL is gone.

Put it against Nas's Top 25? Maaaybe it can hang.

I know my LL. But I also know my Nas.

LL isn't on Nas's level of rap in soooo many ways. All LL has on Nas is the tat on his arm and them biceps, LOL

step one

Post by step one »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
Mama Said Knock You Out is awesome, but really... put it up against Nas's Top 10, LL is gone.

Put it against Nas's Top 25? Maaaybe it can hang.

I know my LL. But I also know my Nas.

LL isn't on Nas's level of rap in soooo many ways. All LL has on Nas is the tat on his arm and them biceps, LOL
Agree that Nas is definitely the best MC/artist overall but LL has some serious joints in his catalogue. He just doesnt have a healthy good:bad ratio.
If LL made more stuff like 'The Truth' (seriously slept on) or 'Ill Bomb' instead of shit like those Amerie & JLo collabs he'd keep some credibility

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

step one wrote: If LL made more stuff like 'The Truth' (seriously slept on) or 'Ill Bomb' instead of shit like those Amerie & JLo collabs he'd keep some credibility
and less money

chump change
The Mayor

Post by chump change »

i remember going to the houston rodeo for "hip hop night" 2 or 3 years back and LL rocked a crowd of 75,000.... dude was humpin barstools and had bitches throwing bra's/panties and shit running around the arena.. out of all the hip hop concerts i've ever been to it was hands down the loudest.. you could hardly hear shit over women screaming...

don't front on that old g.. he blows nas out the water as far as impact on hip hop and is still more relevant if you are being honest about it...

Thun

Post by Thun »

LOL @ faggot ass canuck offbeat cosmos dwelling new jack bitchmade space tranny Mindbender downplaying LL's emceeing ability, influence, and legacy. That's a fucking joke.

step one

Post by step one »

naturalborn103 wrote:
step one wrote: If LL made more stuff like 'The Truth' (seriously slept on) or 'Ill Bomb' instead of shit like those Amerie & JLo collabs he'd keep some credibility
and less money
but seeing as he's already made a shitload of money he's in a similar position to someone like Jay Z where he could do the club/ladies joints and also drop some more concept/battle/street stuff. He doesnt seem to want to stray too far from his comfort zone, whereas Nas is more about trying different things (albeit with varying degrees of success)

chump change
The Mayor

Post by chump change »

step one wrote:
naturalborn103 wrote:
and less money
but seeing as he's already made a shitload of money he's in a similar position to someone like Jay Z where he could do the club/ladies joints and also drop some more concept/battle/street stuff. He doesnt seem to want to stray too far from his comfort zone, whereas Nas is more about trying different things (albeit with varying degrees of success)
hence is ll's ability to stay relevant....

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Thun wrote:LOL @ faggot ass canuck offbeat cosmos dwelling new jack bitchmade space tranny Mindbender downplaying LL's emceeing ability, influence, and legacy. That's a fucking joke.
lets get real, dipshit.

I finally seen LL Cool J for the first time ever, in concert, about 2 months ago. Dude said "throw your hands in the air" about 45 times. He was a robot on autopilot for some of the show. He was hype, but still wasn't THE GOAT MC.

I've seen Nas perform at least 5 times. That shit is like CHURCH if you are there with some real Nas fans who know the words. The lyrics said are truly important, and excuse my rudeness, but i'd certainly suggest that Nas knows what time it is in the grand scheme of life more than LL.

LL aint creating nothing like Sly Fox or the Nigger album, not musically or with his movies. Even LL's "Jay-Z dis" on his Exit 13 album is SOOO LAME that it BARELY registers. It's two bars, over hyped, and a snore.

and who the fuck are you to say anything to ME? what have you done in your fucking hidden-from-Phila, pathetic life to judge me how you just did?

exactly. ha!
~~~
I digress.

honestly guys... Def Jam is probably the main thing that ever kept LL relevant. the way they market him in NYC and America, just enough to sell to the "99% of his fans wearing high heels" :ironmike:

he stopped releasing "relevant" rap right after Pink Cookies. Seriously. After that, he was just essentially preaching to the converted, not winning much new fans.

I'll give him something for that Canibus blip, though he got beheaded. Ripper Strikes Back was meh, and 4321 was great, mostly thanks to Method Man and Redman and Canibus... and yeah Ill Bomb was the shit... but besides that, LL barely has any ESSENTIAL new rap music out there, after like 1999, LOL.

Nas has LOTS of ~essential~ songs. After 25 years, I'd still say LL Cool J doesn't have a song like 'Doo Rags'.

provoked15

Post by provoked15 »

^^^ how the fuck are you comparing to Nas and LL...

Next your gonna put Warren G next to T-Pain.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/msRXXms_qQA&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/msRXXms_qQA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

provoked15 wrote:^^^ how the fuck are you comparing to Nas and LL...

YOU ARE A FAGGOT.

provoked15

Post by provoked15 »

Employee wrote:

YOU ARE A FAGGOT.

please get off my sack.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/msRXXms_qQA&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/msRXXms_qQA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

provoked15 wrote:
Employee wrote:

YOU ARE A FAGGOT.

please get off my sack.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

ALL LL COOL J SAID WAS THAT NAS IS YOUNGER THAN HE IS. But if were comparing they're comparable. Both absolutely belong in the top 5 all-time. And theres no way Nas will be able to make hits as deep into his career as LL has (and will continue to).

Exit 13 is a good album btw.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:ALL LL COOL J SAID WAS THAT NAS IS YOUNGER THAN HE IS. But if were comparing they're comparable. Both absolutely belong in the top 5 all-time. And theres no way Nas will be able to make hits as deep into his career as LL has (and will continue to).

Exit 13 is a good album btw.
You lost me here.

Seriously.

LOST ME. FUCKING LOST ME.

Req

Post by Req »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:And theres no way Nas will be able to make hits as deep into his career as LL has (and will continue to).
cosigned, but considering what's required/sacrificed to make a 'hit' these days, would you really want him to?
F.U. MOOLAH