VH1 Hip Hop Honours last night

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

step one

VH1 Hip Hop Honours last night

Post by step one »

VH1 brought down the house tonight at the 5th annual "VH1 Hip Hop Honors" as the best of the best in hip hop royalty came together for one legendary night to honor the ones who came before them and transformed the genre into a true cultural phenomenon.

Taped at the Hammerstein Ballroom this evening (Thursday, October 2) in New York City and hosted by Tracy Morgan, the music and influence of each of the honorees was recognized through performances by classic artists in collaboration with today's hottest new talent. This year, "VH1 Hip Hop Honors" paid tribute to Cypress Hill, De La Soul, Naughty By Nature, Slick Rick and Too $hort.

The Cypress Hill tribute kicked off the night with an introduction by Freddy Rodriguez. Fat Joe, Jim Jones and Gym Class Heroes drove the crowd insane with the group's hit songs "The Phuncky Feel One," "I Ain't Goin' Out Like That," and "Insane In the Membrane." Cypress Hill lit up the stage with performances of "DJ Scratch Intro," "How I Could Just Kill A Man," and "(Rock) Superstar."

Actress Joy Bryant introduced the second tribute of the night, honorees De La Soul, who took it way back with performances from Estelle, Mos Def, Chuck D, Flavor Flav, Cee-Lo and EPMD. They tore the roof off with the group's biggest hits, "A Roller Skating Jam Named 'Saturdays,'" "Stakes Is High," "Potholes In My Lawn," and "Ego Trippin.'" Topping off the performance, De La Soul broke it down true old school style reminding the crowd that they can still get down, breaking out in a medley of old school rhymes from "Me, Myself and I" to a remix of "Buddy!"

The show continued on a "slick" note with hits that defined Slick Rick's solo career. Legendary rapper MC Lyte kicked off the tribute with "The Ruler's Back." The crowd went crazy when Busta Rhymes and Spliff Star took the stage performing the "The Show" which brought everyone to their feet. They led into a true hip hop medley with the legendary Biz Markie and Ghostface Killah singing "La Di Da Di." Finally Eve took the stage with her rendition of the eclectic hip hop chart topper "Mona Lisa." Slick Rick then took to the stage performing "Hey Young World" and "Children's Story."

Next, in honor of R&B legend Isaac Hayes, a medley of artists took the stage to salute the icon. Mos Def took the stage first, outfitted in dark shades, setting it off with the hit theme song from "Shaft." Next British sweetheart Estelle performed a remix of "I Love You," and Cee-Lo kept the crowd grooving with "The Look of Love." Next on stage, Scarface dazzled the crowd with "My Mind Is Playing Tricks On Me." Closing out this special tribute was Chuck D with "Black Steel In The Hour of Chaos."

Hip hop entrepreneur and producer Luke Campbell took the stage to introduce Too $hort. Luke talked about how he set the stage and paved the way for Too $hort to become the artist he is today. Also paying homage to Too $hort, Kid Rock gave a thrilling performance of "Life Is Too Short." Lil John got low with "Shake That Monkey" followed by a duet with Bun B of the electric "Blow the Whistle." After an intro performance of "The Ghetto" by Scarface, Too $hort got the crowd on their feet with "Gettin' It" and "Money In The Ghetto."

Bringing the show to an unforgettable end, Wyclef Jean, Juelz Santana and Big Boi ripped the stage with the all-time favorites, "No Woman No Cry," "Everything's Gonna Be All Right," and the monster hit "O.P.P." Naughty By Nature closed the show as only they could do, performing "Uptown Anthem" and "Hip Hop Hooray."

MIKEY

Post by MIKEY »

Hip hop entrepreneur and producer Luke Campbell took the stage to introduce Too $hort. Luke talked about how he set the stage and paved the way for Too $hort to become the artist he is today. Also paying homage to Too $hort, Kid Rock gave a thrilling performance of "Life Is Too Short." Lil John got low with "Shake That Monkey" followed by a duet with Bun B of the electric "Blow the Whistle." After an intro performance of "The Ghetto" by Scarface, Too $hort got the crowd on their feet with "Gettin' It" and "Money In The Ghetto."
:evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: / :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

MIKEY

Post by MIKEY »

Wait, I might've been a bit harsh there.

After all, he did bone Pam Anderson.

iCONtheMicKing

Post by iCONtheMicKing »

check for your boy on tv in the front row dancin wit a fly puerto rican jawn and otherwise acting like an overzealous hiphop fan.

boom.

-iCON
Internet Rapper - http://ipullrank.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

whos joy bryant?

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

clark bent wrote:whos joy bryant?
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

maclethal

Post by maclethal »

MIKEY wrote:Wait, I might've been a bit harsh there.

After all, he did bone Pam Anderson.

Slow down.

Dude has been around for a very long time.
A tuna that smells like pussy is better than a pussy that smells like tuna. -Anonymous

MIKEY

Post by MIKEY »

What's your point?

B. Ware tha Siniq

MIKEY wrote:What's your point?
His point is that Kid Rock is an OG inspiration to all mid-western whig-rap and as such you should respect his hustle, or else Mac Lethal will run you down with his Unicorn.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

I think Kid Rock has been on every one of the VH1 Hip Hop Honors. Not to mention his debut came out on Jive in 91 I think and was produced by Too Short and D-Nice.

step one

Post by step one »

Brougham33 wrote:
I think Kid Rock has been on every one of the VH1 Hip Hop Honors. Not to mention his debut came out on Jive in 91 I think and was produced by Too Short and D-Nice.
wasnt he DJing at one of them cutting up some old breaks?

arlene
Crazy Alice

Post by arlene »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
His point is that Kid Rock is an OG inspiration to all mid-western whig-rap and as such you should respect his hustle, or else Mac Lethal will run you down with his Unicorn.
omg

A Dirty Lurker

Post by A Dirty Lurker »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
Dayum!
My supersonics leave ya mute like Maggie Simpson.

Julius Seizure

Post by Julius Seizure »

A Dirty Lurker wrote:
B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
Dayum!
haha the dude scoping her ass in the background is saying the same thing

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

Joy Bryant was Saigon's girl before he was a rapper.

Another reason why Saigon >>>>>>>>>

Oh, Hip Hop Honor always dissappoints.
"I spit that thug shit nigga, MOTHERFUCK singing"

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

clearly vh1 is the barometer of hip hop honorability

just remember, oh boy >>>> troy (no trendy revitalism/dinosaurism))
Nets 2022

Mo Cheeks

Post by Mo Cheeks »

I think this sounds kind of dope

it always seems Busta tears the house down on these type of things

Shup Diddy
Nigga, Shup

Post by Shup Diddy »

Mo Cheeks wrote: it always seems Busta tears the house down on these type of things
Nigga gaining so much weight he prolly hardly fit in the house

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

VH1 is gay.

Kid Rock is worthless.

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

Has this aired? If so, does anyone have a torrent for this, please?

B. Ware tha Siniq

Mark 563 wrote:Has this aired? If so, does anyone have a torrent for this, please?
I think it airs Monday.

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
Mark 563 wrote:Has this aired? If so, does anyone have a torrent for this, please?
I think it airs Monday.
Thanks.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

iCONtheMicKing wrote:check for your boy on tv in the front row dancin wit a fly puerto rican jawn and otherwise acting like an overzealous hiphop fan.

boom.

-iCON
that's wassup.

represent for me until i get there, brotha

worrd to hip hop
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

iCONtheMicKing

Post by iCONtheMicKing »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
iCONtheMicKing wrote:check for your boy on tv in the front row dancin wit a fly puerto rican jawn and otherwise acting like an overzealous hiphop fan.

boom.

-iCON
that's wassup.

worrd to hip hop
I could never do justice to your fanaticism.
word on the street is that i'm in the preview they show on tv... :lol:
Internet Rapper - http://ipullrank.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

iCONtheMicKing wrote:

boom.

-iCON
that's wassup.

worrd to hip hop
if you still love hip hop, you are on my level, brother.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thun

Post by Thun »

iCONtheMicKing wrote:

boom.

-iCON
that's wassup.

worrd to hip hop
if you still love hip hop, you are on my level, brother.
Shut the fuck up already.

provoked15

Post by provoked15 »

Have any of you caught kid rock live dj'ing?

Dudes definitely talented.
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/msRXXms_qQA&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/msRXXms_qQA&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

So has this aired already? Timezones are a bitch.

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

it's on tonight at 10pm new york time.
i think that might be 4am your time.

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Too bad. Can't watch cuz tomorrow is kinda important.

Any of you know where I can download audio/video afterwards? I actually enjoy watching the hip hop honours.