Who's making loot in the beat game?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

blessingindisguise wrote:Blockhead what about royalties? I don't mean to pry but Aesop rock's albums did very well don't u get royalties from that?
of course. it varies from album to album (he did most of "bazooka tooth" so i get less for that album where as i see more money from "labor days" royalties) but i get a little % of the royalties as well as publishing money.
the thing about being a musician (especially a producer) is that you make money in chunks and there is rarely any fluidity to it. i've gone months (like 5 months at a time) without making a penny and then made almost all my yearly salary in one month. it's certainly taught me to be very careful with my money.

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

Employee wrote:
sean wrote:ant didn't quit his job until he started touring with me.
Seriously?
yeah man.

i mean, he could've if he wanted to, but he would've been stretching his money. he liked the weekly checks, and the security.
also consider that the highest selling album for us back then was the one that we co-released with epitaph, so we were splitting with them first, and then splitting with self.

nowadays, we could both live off of royalties, cause the back catalog sells fine, and the new joints do well.
but those royalty checks are quarterly. and it ain't easy to budget life like that when you have a mortgage or two and a car note.
touring is a daily paycheck.

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

Blockhead wrote: the thing about being a musician (especially a producer) is that you make money in chunks and there is rarely any fluidity to it. i've gone months (like 5 months at a time) without making a penny and then made almost all my yearly salary in one month. it's certainly taught me to be very careful with my money.
this is something anyone who makes music needs to learn.

young nova

Post by young nova »

philaflava is on point here. Takes awhile for ppl to give u decent pub shares as well.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Employee wrote:
Thun wrote:Let's not also forget that people tend to have extremely different ideas about what it means to "not need a day job."

There's no way, for example, that Oddisee is living above the poverty line on beats alone.
Troof.
Thats why I included tours and guest appearances. I know for a fact he grinds though......
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

ape9

Post by ape9 »

I just booked some fools for studio time at my crib for some extra loot on the side.. they buy wack beats from my homie Yosef Una (BTW Yosef Una makes really dope beats for more serious rappers) and I record them for a low cost..

I don't charge much due to the fact I don't know how to mix or master well.. besides most of the kids who buy beats from my homie and want me to record them are just some wack chicano rappers who decided they wanted rap a month ago...

also Japan buys a lot my wack ass music and I get royalties (hardley anything) from tunecore by way of Itunes, amazon ect... anway thats how my homie and I get extra pennys from this rap game.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

most "indie" producers are

a) not married
b) drive a used car or take the train
c) have no mortgage

their expensives are cell phone and yearly train card. if they have rent 9 times out of 10 they room with another person but a lot live in the basement of their parents cribs.

so again it all goes back to lifestyle. if you can survive on shit like that then year you might not need a day job or have to work real hard.

but people are severely naive in thinking cats that have their records on the shelves of fat beats are making a killing.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Philaflava wrote: but people are severely naive in thinking cats that have their records on the shelves of fat beats are making a killing.
word. this is a huge misconception of indy musicians. people assume you have money cause you put out records. there are tons of major label artists that barely can make ends meet and eventually have to retire and get a real job.
i remember when i was in my late teens i went to see a show featuring the indelible mc's. after the show i saw j-treads walking alone to the train and i recall thinking "shit, he takes the train! he's famous!" when in reality he had probably not made a penny off rapping at that point.
i mean, i was clueless tot hat kinda shit back then but looking back it's funny to even conceive that just cause i had heard of him and was a fan, he had loot.

chillhood

Post by chillhood »

Blockhead wrote:
Philaflava wrote: but people are severely naive in thinking cats that have their records on the shelves of fat beats are making a killing.
word. this is a huge misconception of indy musicians. people assume you have money cause you put out records. there are tons of major label artists that barely can make ends meet and eventually have to retire and get a real job.
i remember when i was in my late teens i went to see a show featuring the indelible mc's. after the show i saw j-treads walking alone to the train and i recall thinking "shit, he takes the train! he's famous!" when in reality he had probably not made a penny off rapping at that point.
i mean, i was clueless tot hat kinda shit back then but looking back it's funny to even conceive that just cause i had heard of him and was a fan, he had loot.
you are actually Blockhead ?
http://wardolphin.blogspot.com/
come here and press [>
http://lifeasashortyshouldntbesorough.blogspot.com/
http://last.fm/user/chillhood

experience scientifical m(ethod) a(llowing) d(emential) ne(cessities) s(poiling) s(ouls)

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

:rofl:

senorhaha

Post by senorhaha »

Blockhead wrote:
i think most of us thought that way when we where shortys, and then we grew up and saw how truely depressing the majority of the indy sceen is

if i had only known that i would grow up to see some of my favorits artists bummy as fuck begging me for a square or cronic tryn to kick it, i think i might have attempted to stay in school haha

ape9

Post by ape9 »

chillhood wrote:
Blockhead wrote:
you are actually Blockhead ?
and Sean is Slug from Atmos.... WOW :err:

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

and Employee is from Boo-Ya-Tribe, deal widdit.

chillhood

Post by chillhood »

ape9 wrote:
oh his sn is Sean ? I knew the rapper from Atmosphere posts here but I totally didn't memorize his sn...
lol @ the post right above
http://wardolphin.blogspot.com/
come here and press [>
http://lifeasashortyshouldntbesorough.blogspot.com/
http://last.fm/user/chillhood

experience scientifical m(ethod) a(llowing) d(emential) ne(cessities) s(poiling) s(ouls)

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Philaflava wrote:and Employee is from Boo-Ya-Tribe, deal widdit.
you sure he's not one of the mountain brothers?

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Blockhead wrote:
you sure he's not one of the mountain brothers?
If so then we finally know what he looks like

http://www.philaflava.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=94621

Peep the Youtube video.

ape9

Post by ape9 »

chillhood wrote:
ape9 wrote:
oh his sn is Sean ? I knew the rapper from Atmosphere posts here but I totally didn't memorize his sn...
lol @ the post right above

Do you know who I am? if you don't you shouldn't be on postin on :phila:..

Narcissistic: Moderate

intuition
Uh, I rap too!

Post by intuition »

quit quoting chillihood.

Mansfield Status

Post by Mansfield Status »

I don't make a living off of selling beats, that isn't even really a big interest of mine. I turn down more people than I sell to. I started a quality control type deal and I focus on making music I can listen to more so than I can get paid for. I make WAY more money selling records than beats anyway. i always have. It would be nice to sustain an income off of selling beats but the standard has risen above the hustle crowes and access immortals of the world.. i'm working with much more respectable acts on a trade of service more so than a paycheck..

chump change
The Mayor

Post by chump change »

Mansfield Status wrote:I don't make a living off of selling beats, that isn't even really a big interest of mine. I turn down more people than I sell to. I started a quality control type deal and I focus on making music I can listen to more so than I can get paid for. I make WAY more money selling records than beats anyway. i always have. It would be nice to sustain an income off of selling beats but the standard has risen above the hustle crowes and access immortals of the world.. i'm working with much more respectable acts on a trade of service more so than a paycheck..
so basically you are a fuckin idiot that still gettin sold "exposure"...

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Mansfield Status wrote:I don't make a living off of selling beats
Why have you claimed to since the first day you started posting here?
Mansfield Status wrote:that isn't even really a big interest of mine.
Yet you routinely tout your non-existent resume and get obliterated by Alias.
Mansfield Status wrote:I turn down more people than I sell to.
Mansfield Status wrote:I started a quality control type deal and I focus on making music I can listen to more so than I can get paid for.
Mansfield Status wrote:I make WAY more money selling records than beats anyway.
So eBay full-time and raping the dying corpse of hip hop part-time or whenever the Ramen is running low?
Mansfield Status wrote:It would be nice to sustain an income off of selling beats but the standard has risen above the hustle crowes and access immortals of the world
Translation: They stopped paying you.
Mansfield Status wrote:.. i'm working with much more respectable acts

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

intuition has a point.. but even if they're making hip hop none of those low end theory guys are really "rap producers"

Julius Seizure

Post by Julius Seizure »

young nova

Post by young nova »

Mansfield Status wrote: i'm working with much more respectable acts on a trade of service more so than a paycheck..
so apparently i get paid for not making beats at all but u actually make beats and dont get paid shit....sounds like if anyone is an intern its u :killacam:

Thun

Post by Thun »

Employee wrote:
Mansfield Status wrote:I don't make a living off of selling beats
Why have you claimed to since the first day you started posting here?
Mansfield Status wrote:that isn't even really a big interest of mine.
Yet you routinely tout your non-existent resume and get obliterated by Alias.
Mansfield Status wrote:I turn down more people than I sell to.
Mansfield Status wrote:I started a quality control type deal and I focus on making music I can listen to more so than I can get paid for.
Mansfield Status wrote:I make WAY more money selling records than beats anyway.
So eBay full-time and raping the dying corpse of hip hop part-time or whenever the Ramen is running low?
Mansfield Status wrote:It would be nice to sustain an income off of selling beats but the standard has risen above the hustle crowes and access immortals of the world
Translation: They stopped paying you.
Mansfield Status wrote:.. i'm working with much more respectable acts
:lol:

Kno@qn5.com

Post by Kno@qn5.com »

You guys are sleeping on dopeboy money. If you have the right type of beats and aren't morally opposed I can tell you a handful of spots/studios in Atlanta you can sell a shitload of beats per night to 'the next big rap mogul'.

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

I wanna say Exile lives off of beats..but what the hell do i know?

ayentee

Post by ayentee »

mike eagle wrote:I wanna say Exile lives off of beats..but what the hell do i know?
at any rate, it seems like an extremely hard way to live. ive toyed with the idea but i just dont have the heart to sell beats off to people i dont know or dont trust to make something decent
lyricist/beat-maker/gamer/hermit

thekeentwo
Lisa Bonet With Talent

Post by thekeentwo »

Kno@qn5.com wrote:You guys are sleeping on dopeboy money. If you have the right type of beats and aren't morally opposed I can tell you a handful of spots/studios in Atlanta you can sell a shitload of beats per night to 'the next big rap mogul'.

:killacam:

:megaman: