Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

ayentee

Post by ayentee »

needs more autotune
lyricist/beat-maker/gamer/hermit

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Thun wrote:Send all the money you want, dude.
LMAO. i ain't sending NAAN penny for this song's creation, i already gave energy and contributed a portion of $1200 to Haiti as part of a show a few weeks ago

Wyclef is truly losing his mind, that's all i know for sure.
ayentee wrote:needs more autotune
:rofl:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

:rofl: that shit was pretty hilarious.
surprised i had absolutely no idea in the world who over half of the people singing were..

the autotune segment was awesome.. then the worst group rap in history. :lol: brilliant

L.J.T.

Post by L.J.T. »

Very weird and hilarious that Nipsey Hussle is in that video. Don't see him singing along though.

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

L.J.T. wrote:Very weird and hilarious that Nipsey Hussle is in that video. Don't see him singing along though.
:naswtf: I didn't see him in there but then again, I was skipping ahead pretty consistently. what time was he on?

Jaz
Ease Up

Re: We Are The World 2010: rap remake

Post by Jaz »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Glny4jSciVI&co ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Glny4jSciVI&co ... edded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

a motherfucker shut down his website cause of this song? damn, homie.

http://rahrahrah.posterous.com/feb-12th ... dudes-shut

peace to Haiti

RAP IS OUT OF CONTROL

what an embarrassment, this is fucking awful.

Employer

Post by Employer »

L.J.T.

Post by L.J.T. »

odium-LSC wrote:
L.J.T. wrote:Very weird and hilarious that Nipsey Hussle is in that video. Don't see him singing along though.
:naswtf: I didn't see him in there but then again, I was skipping ahead pretty consistently. what time was he on?
Yeah I skipped around a lot but managed to catch him I guess, between 6:15 - 6:30 you can see him for sure. In the back row

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

i definitely caught him the first viewing.

jamie foxx is a douche

Larry Lover

Post by Larry Lover »

Hasn't there been many parodies or people making fun of the first We Are the World for its corniness? I don't understand why they made a second one. Aside from making a social statement, who is this directed to? Who would actually buy this on i tunes? I'd rather give money and get nothing in return than pay the 99 cents for this shit.

Dusty Fingers

Post by Dusty Fingers »

LOL this is ridiculous.
And if you're yelling out YOLO, I'm calling you a homo...

step one

Post by step one »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
LMAO. i ain't sending NAAN penny for this song's creation, i already gave energy and contributed a portion of $1200 to Haiti as part of a show a few weeks ago

:roll:
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Brougham33 wrote:
Rewatched it to see Nicole Sherizxjerwhatever

Yup! Damn Faith let herself really go.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Was that Toni Braxton or Prince?

Can't tell what's worse, this or the dunk contest.

Dids

Post by Dids »

Brougham33 wrote::rofl: then :larry: then finally :err:.

Rewatched it to see Nicole Sherizxjerwhatever

Yes. She is amazing.

Way the fuck too many people who can't sing on this.

Somehow Kanye wasn't the worst part, which is amazing, and Celine Dion might have been the best?

tayoisnt

Post by tayoisnt »

there's not very much that can pull me from my firm commitment to lurkdom, but this kind of mess will do it.

i get that this site isn't the audience for this song. i get that the population here has a vested interest in being disdainful of the people who produced this record and will be enamored of it. more to the point, i get that the currency that folks operating in this space trade in are mouthfuls of arbitary cynicism. i get it.

but, are you really that commited to a masturbatory world view to intentionally, practically, actively write off an effort that, if it's only half as successful as the original, generate and provide enough money/resources to save thousands of lives? maintaining a sense of moral/mental superiority is more valuable to you than just, at least, not disrespecting the attempt to protect these victims?

are y'all really that...careless?

i was in haiti briefly to participate in the handover of 12 thousand pounds of medical supplies to 3 NGO's in particular and a planeload of aid workers to different orgs spread around the area. during that time, i got to see perhaps the best staffed and supplied hospital-tent facility in the country immediately adjacent to the PAP airfield. the ratio of medical professionals to the injured and ill was 1 to 37.

any ICU you - and i do mean you - will ever spend any time in will have a ratio of 1 to 1, maybe 1 to 2 on a particularly crappy day. this was 1 to 37. spinal fractures, tetanus infections, amputees. one brother was in a coma. in a tent, under a piece of tarp, with an iv drip hanging from a loose, frayed piece of rope strung from one end of the tent to the other. again, that was maybe the best staffed space in the country.

i also know that my experience was just a splinter of a sliver of an isolated slice of outreach and support. which means that there's clearly no reason that anyone here, as a fat clump of long dedicated net obsessives, shouldn't have access to a reasonable understanding of what's happened to haiti and what's required for haitians.

so, do what you feel is appropriate. react in a way that reassures your worldview, keeps your identity solid and stable and superior. or try something a little less small. whatever. i hope you spend as much time donating and acting and helping as much as you do with this cheap nonsense.

be safe. do better.
got more records than god.

www.myspace.com/tayoisnt is where i show how i use 'em.

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

tayoisnt wrote:there's not very much that can pull me from my firm commitment to lurkdom, but this kind of mess will do it.

i get that this site isn't the audience for this song. i get that the population here has a vested interest in being disdainful of the people who produced this record and will be enamored of it. more to the point, i get that the currency that folks operating in this space trade in are mouthfuls of arbitary cynicism. i get it.

but, are you really that commited to a masturbatory world view to intentionally, practically, actively write off an effort that, if it's only half as successful as the original, generate and provide enough money/resources to save thousands of lives? maintaining a sense of moral/mental superiority is more valuable to you than just, at least, not disrespecting the attempt to protect these victims?

i was in haiti briefly to participate in the handover of 12 thousand pounds of medical supplies to 3 NGO's in particular and a planeload of aid workers to different orgs spread around the area. during that time, i got to see perhaps the best staffed and supplied hospital-tent facility in the country immediately adjacent to the PAP airfield. the ratio of medical professionals to the injured and ill was 1 to 37.

any ICU you - and i do mean you - will ever spend any time in will have a ratio of 1 to 1, maybe 1 to 2 on a particularly crappy day. this was 1 to 37. spinal fractures, tetanus infections, amputees. one brother was in a coma. in a tent, under a piece of tarp, with an iv drip hanging from a loose, frayed piece of rope strung from one end of the tent to the other. again, that was maybe the best staffed space in the country.

i also know that my experience was just a splinter of a sliver of an isolated slice of outreach and support. which means that there's clearly no reason that anyone here, as a fat clump of long dedicated net obsessives, shouldn't have access to a reasonable understanding of what's happened to haiti and what's required for haitians.

so, do what you feel is appropriate. react in a way that reassures your worldview, keeps your identity solid and stable and superior. or try something a little less small. whatever. i hope you spend as much time donating and acting and helping as much as you do with this cheap nonsense.

be safe. do better.
Cool story bro.

Thun

Post by Thun »

tayoisnt wrote:there's not very much that can pull me from my firm commitment to lurkdom, but this kind of mess will do it.

be safe. do better.
Oh. Well your post just changed everything. Now all the aid will reach all the victims, and this song will accomplish world peace. Thank god you posted that, man.

Digs Darklighter

Post by Digs Darklighter »

:winter:

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

be safe. do better.
It's a gay ass song irrespective of its cause. This thread is not going to curtail the donations that will pour in as a result of it. Slow down.

Dusty Fingers

Post by Dusty Fingers »

:rofl: :rofl: shat mi pantalones
And if you're yelling out YOLO, I'm calling you a homo...

uncle_ruckus_redux

Post by uncle_ruckus_redux »

jamie foxx said help haiti rise from the rubble. I don't know how that can happen, aint that an oxymoron? that's like telling a zombie to rise from the grave (ZOMBIE NIGGA WAS ALREADY DEAD-HAITI WAS ALREADY RUBBLE. EVEN before the earthquake caUse niggas was too busy shaking chicken bones and out sourcing their urban development to shango rather than a REAL construction company)

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

be safe. do better.
No one said anything about the amounts of money it will generate for Haiti, we are all very happy about that and I hope it makes millions, what happened in Haiti was a tragedy and it's very sad to hear about all the lives lost and so many people displaced, props to you being part of a handover of medical supplies, this thread is just about the song and the fact that it is awful and that's it.

LoDeck

Post by LoDeck »

be safe. do better.
equally, there is no merit in guilt-tripping people into respecting some
trite re-remake of some corny music piece for the sake of humanity.

something terrible happens on planet earth every moment:
Liberia, Iraq, Wacka Flocka, Rwanda, Sri Lanka, Midwest...

Precious celebrities donating 2 minutes of time to sing a cheesy 4-liner is so inspirational and philanthropic!
LL Cool J's fiery flow will surely help re-build Haiti into a paradise it once was.

:roll:

tayoisnt

Post by tayoisnt »

Right. And the cynicism shuttlebus keeps on trucking. Shocking and brilliant in equal measure.

I really thought that my tiny, reasonably shrill post could expedite all haiti-centric philanthropy,
save the universe and restore some shine to your gnarled world view.

I know you got my original point. 'Course you did. You're smarter than most everyone else, pop
icons and the goofheaded proles that sweat 'em. That notion is the center of gravity holding this
community together, reasonably tightly at that.

That's actually the most disappointing thing, what this community has decided not to do under these
circumstances. Far as I can tell, this thread is the most intentional conversation concerning haiti that's
happened on the site. Lowball smackyap about a corny song, a month after the immediate disaster.
Could've, say, set up a voluntary paypal stream for a special STLT90's edition dedicated to a particular
aid org with less proportionate effort than it would've taken to clown clef and 'em or resent and respond to me.

In case there was any confusion, that is the point. Your sense of priority, feeling reassured and smug
about what a good tune is absolutely supercedes helping victims avoid dying. That's horrible and small
and, at the same time, entirely fine. Whatever works. That said, the deal's clear.

Lodeck - didn't realise the ubiquity of human suffering renders all efforts to reduce it immaterial.
Also, if noticing the foolishness in worrying more about whether a record is corny versus what it can,
should and will accomplish to look after folks is guilt-trippy, then so be it. Call me your fiancee and
move on. *shrugs*

You're smarter than this. I know it, you know it. Hopefully you'll adjust. I'm done. Deuces.
got more records than god.

www.myspace.com/tayoisnt is where i show how i use 'em.

LoDeck

Post by LoDeck »

tayoisnt wrote:Right. And the cynicism shuttlebus keeps on trucking. Shocking and brilliant in equal measure.

Lodeck - didn't realise the ubiquity of human suffering renders all efforts to reduce it immaterial.
Also, if noticing the foolishness in worrying more about whether a record is corny versus what it can,
should and will accomplish to look after folks is guilt-trippy, then so be it.
You're smarter than this. I know it, you know it. Hopefully you'll adjust. I'm done. Deuces.

human suffering is horrible. so is this song. can we agree on that at least?
T, i respect what YOU have done with your efforts, no question.
But why is worrying about a record being corny foolish?
Why should I suddenly drop my integrity like its a pretense and applaud
this publicity stunt?
If Quincy reached out to Haitian artists and produced a great
piece about the tragedy, it would be honorable.
If Jaime Foxx gave out grants to Haitian film students to go and make
films about how they live and then showed them at festivals around the
world, I'd be the first to give props.
If Toni Braxton handmade a blanket and sold it on ebay for charity, it would be something...
But this shit makes me sick and ADJUSTING to me, would be immoral like IF clef's charity really is a shady (i aint passin judgement, i just heard the speculations.)
Hope this cynicism brings a change for the better. Its probably our last weapon.

Drastik

Post by Drastik »

uncle_ruckus_redux wrote:jamie foxx said help haiti rise from the rubble. I don't know how that can happen, aint that an oxymoron? that's like telling a zombie to rise from the grave (ZOMBIE NIGGA WAS ALREADY DEAD-HAITI WAS ALREADY RUBBLE. EVEN before the earthquake caUse niggas was too busy shaking chicken bones and out sourcing their urban development to shango rather than a REAL construction company)
:lol:

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

be safe. do better.
Fact is, there's no way that this song, in 2010, can generate a tenth of what the original did. The original dropped in 1985. The only way to hear it was to buy it or wait until the video played on MTV so you could record it on your betamax.

The original generated over 63 million for charity.

remember this?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/h7qBq7cJg_s&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/h7qBq7cJg_s&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

all-star remake of "whats going on?" to raise funds for the deadliest attack ever on US soil?

it sold 228,000 copies.

This we are the world rehash will be considered a success if it sells 600,000

If it does? thats fan-fucking-tastic. But how much did it cost to produce?

Sure the artists donated their time, but the recording engineers, mastering house, video shooting and editing? Those people arent milionaires and Im sure their time wasn't donated. When you subtract that from whatever monies the song will generate, what will be left?

enough to justify this faux celebrity fuckery? no.

You say this site's worldview is masturbatory. I say this grab-any-celebrity-we-can-find, autotune-for-the-cause, lets-pretend-people-still-buy-music act is as self-aggrandizing as it gets. This isnt people coming together to make a difference. This is the music industry trying to stay relevant by reminding the nation that it used to mean something.

It means well, but its a dying monster trying to suck its own dick one more time.

And its really fucking obvious.

So those of us who have half a brain will talk shit about it and call it what it is. And it has nothing to do with apathy for the people of Haiti. It has everything to do with people who wont stand for having their intelligence insulted by good intentions, tragic pictures, and archival mj footage layered over a bad remake of a mediocre pop song.

Thun

Post by Thun »

tayoisnt wrote:Right. And the cynicism shuttlebus keeps on trucking. Shocking and brilliant in equal measure.

I really thought that my tiny, reasonably shrill post could expedite all haiti-centric philanthropy,
save the universe and restore some shine to your gnarled world view.

I know you got my original point. 'Course you did. You're smarter than most everyone else, pop
icons and the goofheaded proles that sweat 'em. That notion is the center of gravity holding this
community together, reasonably tightly at that.

That's actually the most disappointing thing, what this community has decided not to do under these
circumstances. Far as I can tell, this thread is the most intentional conversation concerning haiti that's
happened on the site. Lowball smackyap about a corny song, a month after the immediate disaster.
Could've, say, set up a voluntary paypal stream for a special STLT90's edition dedicated to a particular
aid org with less proportionate effort than it would've taken to clown clef and 'em or resent and respond to me.

In case there was any confusion, that is the point. Your sense of priority, feeling reassured and smug
about what a good tune is absolutely supercedes helping victims avoid dying. That's horrible and small
and, at the same time, entirely fine. Whatever works. That said, the deal's clear.

should and will accomplish to look after folks is guilt-trippy, then so be it. Call me your fiancee and
move on. *shrugs*

You're a fucking faggot dude, for real.

Tragedies happen every cot-damn day. Yet this is the first time you've shown up at this MUSIC FORUM to berate us for talking more about music? And why? Because your faggot ass had a bunch of faggot revelations during your royal crown-sponsored helicopter tour of Haiti.

We're terrible, petty people because you can't shake a few grisly images out of your head as you sit in repose in an air-conditioned House of Assembly trying to figure out where to house former Guantanamo detainees or how to best spend your Bermuda Housing Corporation bribes.

Fuck outta here.

Dids

Post by Dids »

Participation ribbons are for 3rd grade. That a meaningful cause motivated people to make this record doesn't magically make it better or immune to criticism. These are professionals who put out a record that's fucking embarrassing.

Frankly- I would find it a bit more insulting that a bunch of people half-assed their way through something like this than anything else. You've already put more care and thought into your posts than they did into making the record.

That people here are able to disassociate the reasons for why a song was made from the actual music doesn't make them insensitive, it makes them halfway smart.