1%
Geto Boys
2%
Boogie Down Productions
1%

Total votes: 149

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

Thun wrote:I'm gonna lock this thread if that "born into a culture of flyness" grimlok looking faggot keeps posting his inane opinions.

Then lock it muthafucka and for the record, homie never posted a picture of me. He tried to pass it off as me, but that ain't me u fuckin ho cake.

You give a degenerate forum poster a mod position and he starts acting all menstrual. Thun is the Allen Iverson of M2C. Word.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

Mark 563 wrote:
Big Breeze wrote:The point I'm trying to make is that Outkast had a strong central base of fans before it morphed into something out of its control. "SB/LB" is the culprit and most of those people who bought the album are not true fans.
What constitutes a "true fan"?
The true fans knew about them when "Player's Ball" came out as a single and "Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik" dropped the following year in '94. The true fans were the ones from SWATS and the rest of Georgia that were into some shit with some hard ass lyrics that weren't all bammer and shit.

Aethetical-Hades

Post by Aethetical-Hades »

Big Breeze wrote:
Thun wrote:I'm gonna lock this thread if that "born into a culture of flyness" grimlok looking faggot keeps posting his inane opinions.

Then lock it muthafucka and for the record, homie never posted a picture of me. He tried to pass it off as me, but that ain't me u fuckin ho cake.

You give a degenerate forum poster a mod position and he starts acting all menstrual. Thun is the Allen Iverson of M2C. Word.
:roll:

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

voted Tribe, cause im hella bohemian

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:you should count the wu solos like cuban lynx, ironman, liquid swords because they're exec produced by RZA plus almost exclusively his beats, and they heavily feature vocals by other wu members. it's arbitrary if you discount these just because it doesn't say wu tang on the cover. if q-tip had a self produced 'solo' that came out in the mid 90s with phife appearing on two thirds of the tracks i'd count that as a tribe album too.
By this logic the Dungeon Family should be counted as a group. All the Outkasts, the Goodie Mobs, the Cee-Lo solo albums.

Dungeon Fam wins.

Def Squad wins.

Native Tongues win.

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

Big Breeze wrote:
Mark 563 wrote:
Big Breeze wrote:The point I'm trying to make is that Outkast had a strong central base of fans before it morphed into something out of its control. "SB/LB" is the culprit and most of those people who bought the album are not true fans.
What constitutes a "true fan"?
The true fans knew about them when "Player's Ball" came out as a single and "Southernplayalisticadillacmuzik" dropped the following year in '94. The true fans were the ones from SWATS and the rest of Georgia that were into some shit with some hard ass lyrics that weren't all bammer and shit.
Your saying a 'true fan' is only somebody who has been a fan since day 1? That's the only 'true fan'? If you got into an act after their first single, you aren't a 'true fan'?

If that's the case, shouldn't the bar be set a little earlier? Like you're only a 'true fan' if you were into Outkast when 'A Laface Family Christmas' album dropped? Of even when they featured on a TLC single in '92?

It seems to me that your logic is flawed, blud.

Kilgore786

Post by Kilgore786 »

Wu Tang is for the Children...

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Geto Boys were so ridiculous in their prime.

Personally, Geto Boys.

step one

Post by step one »

if anything, this thread has been useful in exposing faggots with suspect taste in music.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Verge wrote:I know I'm old but I can't see how Organized Noize is better than Primo,
Bomb Squad, and Q-Tip. We are talking pound for pound here.
I feel you so I wouldnt say "better", but ONP are universally more appealing.
And the guy who isn't Andre does not size up (pause) to the second fiddle
cats in any of the other groups.
:larry:

So we got:
Trugoy
Phife
DMC
(EPMD were equal in skill IMO so there's no second fiddle there)
Havok
Malik B
Willie D/Bushwick Bill/Big Mike

I would wager Big Boi would be neck & neck w/any of those guys if not outshining them outright.

Thun

Post by Thun »

The Afronaut wrote:
Verge wrote:I know I'm old but I can't see how Organized Noize is better than Primo,
Bomb Squad, and Q-Tip. We are talking pound for pound here.
I feel you so I wouldnt say "better", but ONP are universally more appealing.

1. Who cares?
2. I'm not even sure that's true. Primo made beats for Christina Aguilera for christ sake. ATCQ's old hits are still hugely popular across a broad range of people. Nobody gives a shit about Outkast prior to "So Fresh and So Clean" anymore.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Thun wrote: 2. I'm not even sure that's true. Primo made beats for Christina Aguilera for christ sake.
ONE beat for CA doesnt mean Primo's production is universally appealing, and even if it did its not like "Aint No Other Man" was bigger "Waterfalls".
ATCQ's old hits are still hugely popular across a broad range of people.
Broader than Outkast's? C'mon.
Nobody gives a shit about Outkast prior to "So Fresh and So Clean" anymore.

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

so now we rank groups on universal appeal...magazine covers and fanbase skin color

awesome

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

clark bent wrote:so now we rank groups on universal appeal...magazine covers and fanbase skin color

awesome
Exactly what I was thinking. And to the idiot that says that Outkast's "true fans" knew about Outkast when they dropped P;ayer's Ball and their debut...your logic is horrible.

Thun

Post by Thun »

The Afronaut wrote:
Thun wrote: 2. I'm not even sure that's true. Primo made beats for Christina Aguilera for christ sake.
ONE beat for CA doesnt mean Primo's production is universally appealing, and even if it did its not like "Aint No Other Man" was bigger "Waterfalls".
ATCQ's old hits are still hugely popular across a broad range of people.
Broader than Outkast's? C'mon.
Nobody gives a shit about Outkast prior to "So Fresh and So Clean" anymore.
I have never met anyone under the age of 30 black, white, brown or whatever, male or female, who was familiar with Outkasts's first three albums.

Believe it or not, Tribe still has a pretty large cult following among younger music fans, a following that digs into their back catalog. The same is simply not true about Outkast.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Big Breeze - stop lying that this is you.

I'm not quite as fond of Peoples or Low End as a lot of youze fucken' guys, so this is gonna have to be a 3-way tie between De La, OutKast and Public Enemy for me. 3 incredible albums back-to-back before a flawed but pretty good 4th and a vast downfall with the 5th with the odd moment of brilliance thereafter.

I also don't see why Brand Nubian couldn't be in this since Wu-Tang are. Both have one genuine classic with a bunch of patchy albums following it, but as far as debuts go, One For All >>>> 36 Chambers. Shit, Step To The Rear and Wake Up are better than anything on the Wu debut.

UGK should've been in this too, actually. One of the few rap groups who actually improved, who have a bonafide classic in Ridin' Dirty and a pretty consistent all-round discography.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

clark bent wrote:so now we rank groups on universal appeal...magazine covers and fanbase skin color

awesome
Message board posters are some fucking hacks huh? We are truly a strange group of people.

vermillion wrote: Exactly what I was thinking. And to the idiot that says that Outkast's "true fans" knew about Outkast when they dropped P;ayer's Ball and their debut...your logic is horrible.
That's cool and all, but my intentions when I come into threads is to provide you with low self esteem to where you question your relevance to society.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

Thun wrote:I have never met anyone under the age of 30 black, white, brown or whatever, male or female, who was familiar with Outkasts's first three albums.

Believe it or not, Tribe still has a pretty large cult following among younger music fans, a following that digs into their back catalog. The same is simply not true about Outkast.
Your are too stuck in your East Coast faggotry to believe anything you said about first 3 albums, even if you really believe what you said.

I could give a fuck about impact and long lasting effect. If that was the criteria, than Outkast definitely won't win. I simply care about who made the better music, and Outkast comes across as the overall winner.

Tribe is dope and I definitely grew up off of their music, but Outkast has made better music by a slight margin.

Oh yeah y'all, this is IDAL. If he swears this is me, then I swear this is him. Peep the wigger ensemble.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

awesome
Ease up. Thats not what I meant at all.

I was responding to Kast versus PE & Gangstarr specifically.

I believe that neither one of these groups had as strong a following as strong as Outkast's due to the fact that nationwide peeps (regardless of coastal bias) were feeling this shit from SPCM on. Thats what I meant by universal.

Not saying PE and GS got NO love in the South, but yall are buggin to ignore the impact Outkast had at the outset...East coast peeps especially werent trying to hear nothing from the South...and its still somewhat like that today when the South comes up for a lot people "Nobody from the south can spit besides Outkast"...I hear that shit all the time.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Thun wrote:I have never met anyone under the age of 30 black, white, brown or whatever, male or female, who was familiar with Outkasts's first three albums.

One reason I find this hard to believe is because Outkast has made music post 98...How do people under 30 get into Tribes back catalog w/out even knowing who the hell they are?

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

i dunno but somehow we do it
ppl younger than me like tribe even

popeye... u ever check the back of liquid swords? See the track 'hellz wind staff?' well it's not on there, it's on wu tang forever. so a song they recorded for liquid swords ended up on the group album. they took songs from the same recording session and put them on either group or solo albums. and like someone mentioned, are 'duel of the iron mic,' '4th chamber,' 'guillitine swords,' 'winter warz' not wu tang songs?
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

My step-brother is twenty-five and has downloaded every single piece of new rap music. He's never heard of Tribe. Neither have his friends. Tribe will be perpetually forgotten. They like the shit when you play it for them, but they couldn't give a fuck about learning more.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

The Afronaut wrote:

awesome

I believe that neither one of these groups had as strong a following as strong as Outkast's due to the fact that nationwide peeps (regardless of coastal bias) were feeling this shit from SPCM on. Thats what I meant by universal.

Not saying PE and GS got NO love in the South, but yall are buggin to ignore the impact Outkast had at the outset...East coast peeps especially werent trying to hear nothing from the South...and its still somewhat like that today when the South comes up for a lot people "Nobody from the south can spit besides Outkast"...I hear that shit all the time.
Consider that Gangstarr and Public Enemy also lacked the fag appeal that attracted new Outkast fans when that double album hit.

Thun

Post by Thun »

The Afronaut wrote:

One reason I find this hard to believe is because Outkast has made music post 98...How do people under 30 get into Tribes back catalog w/out even knowing who the hell they are?
Some groups just have staying power, especially in colleges. Outkast will have that staying power, but their first three albums are all but forgotten. 99% of their fanbase think Outkast is one rapper and debuted with "Hey Ya." Granted, Tribe's cult fanbase is smaller, but they tend to be more informed about their older work. Sorry.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Employee wrote:My step-brother is twenty-five and has downloaded every single piece of new rap music. He's never heard of Tribe. Neither have his friends.
Did they attend college?

clark bent

Post by clark bent »

The Afronaut wrote:

awesome

i dont give a flying fuck who had more impact...who everyones favorite group from a particular part of the country is or who people btwn the ages of 24-27 recognize most...i care who put out superior music and imo tribe destroys outkast in the only category that matters

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Thun wrote:
Employee wrote:My step-brother is twenty-five and has downloaded every single piece of new rap music. He's never heard of Tribe. Neither have his friends.
Did they attend college?
LOL. None. These guys will be couch surfing the remainder of their natural lives.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

clark bent wrote:i dont give a flying fuck who had more impact...who everyones favorite group from a particular part of the country is or who people btwn the ages of 24-27 recognize most...i care who put out superior music and imo tribe destroys outkast in the only category that matters
What category is that again?
Thun wrote:Some groups just have staying power, especially in colleges. Outkast will have that staying power, but their first three albums are all but forgotten. 99% of their fanbase think Outkast is one rapper and debuted with "Hey Ya."
99%? Thats pretty extreme.

When you say "all but forgotten" who are we speaking about? The soccer moms who ONLY like "Hey Ya" or people who may have been paying at least casual attention to hip-hop in the last 10 years.

I would guess that the college people youre describing would fall into the latter category right? If so, is it really that big a jump to say that they are at least aware of Aquemini?
Granted, Tribe's cult fanbase is smaller, but they tend to be more informed about their older work. Sorry.
Isnt that a moot point when ALL of their work is considered "older" now though?

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote: popeye... u ever check the back of liquid swords? See the track 'hellz wind staff?' well it's not on there, it's on wu tang forever. so a song they recorded for liquid swords ended up on the group album. they took songs from the same recording session and put them on either group or solo albums. and like someone mentioned, are 'duel of the iron mic,' '4th chamber,' 'guillitine swords,' 'winter warz' not wu tang songs?
Yeah, sure, so what?

I Get Around is produced by Shock G and has Shock, Money B and Tupac on it. By any measure it's a Digital Underground song. That doesn't mean Tupac's catalog (or even Strictly) should be counted for D.U.

Again, if you want to play that game Dungeon Family shits on the Wu catalog.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Thun wrote:Primo made beats for Christina Aguilera for christ sake.
Yeah, but that was really one of Primo's best productions in years for him. He needed to not be lazy, which he became after GURU left. Dude made 2 bar loops with a signature kick and drum texture. If we were lucky we'd get a 4 bar loop. Primo made good music for Christina Aguilera.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;