Resonant Filters (general question)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Resonant Filters (general question)

Post by Galvatron78 »

in plain English....Exactly what do they do? Why are they so important? Do they effect sampling? And by the way Liquid was right back in the day.....I ended up trading my EPS16+ turbo for an ASR-10. LOL. I've had it for 4 months and i love it.

cornsnake

Post by cornsnake »

Taken from messaging at Columbia University

"On Monday 23 February 2004 18.35, Alex Raider wrote:
> [skip : what is resonant filters] (((((that shits funny---how do we say English?)))))
>
> > Same thing as a resonance in electronics or even a wine glass.
> > Just a peak in the frequency response.
> > A two-pole IIR resonantor for example...
> > kinda like a bandpass....
>
> Wow.
> I suppose I can implement resonant filters using IIR?

Yes. Doesn't really matter what kind of filter you're using; the point
is that there is a feedback loop that makes the filter resonate.

Pump up the resonance (feedback strength) and you've got an
oscillator. :-)"

now 84's thoughts

I might be wrong but I think what you're effectively talkin about is similar if not the same to an EQ with tight Q and high gain--- such that it resonates in your selected frequency range.

This won't have anything to do with sampling but as the Ensoniqs have powerful guts you'll probably be able to get similare results playing with the different pole combinations on the internal filters-- there is no internal eq but you can cheat by using the filters.
Prof - Figured Out prod by 84 and Dillon<embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf ... and-dillon" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object>

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

Thanks i understand now......messing around with the effect right now....it's pretty good.

cornsnake

Post by cornsnake »

those filters are power, nahhhhmean!
Prof - Figured Out prod by 84 and Dillon<embed allowscriptaccess="always" height="81" src="http://player.soundcloud.com/player.swf ... and-dillon" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="100%"></embed> </object>

Renessis

Post by Renessis »

Resonant filters are a foundation of hiphop beats imo.
low pass your bassline, lay a resonant filter on the 60hz or 80hz or what have you and..voila..Large Pro/Nick Wiz shit..

Now find the frequencies that resonate within the key of the song...

cornsnake

Post by cornsnake »

Renessis wrote:Resonant filters are a foundation of hiphop beats imo.
low pass your bassline, lay a resonant filter on the 60hz or 80hz or what have you and..voila..Large Pro/Nick Wiz shit..

make it RING out!!!

Speaking of - - whats up with some nick wiz shit---- i've heard pieces i liked here and there---- do we have an album or something. anyone?

ZiekeFons

Post by ZiekeFons »

I'm not really getting this, but if i understand it correctly its that you take the right frequency.. Gain it and put a tight Q to it..

Why would you do this??

cornsnake

Post by cornsnake »

find the frequency and accentuate with a tight q and gain that is either the fundamental of the key that your beat is in or being creative bump up another frequency that might be the third above that or something more ingenious. its the same thing as cutting out shit you don't want except opposite; highlight shit you DO want.

buck out get retarded

CHANCE RANDOM

Post by CHANCE RANDOM »

cornsnake wrote:buck out get retarded

Galvatron78
Splack Morris

Post by Galvatron78 »

Renessis wrote:Resonant filters are a foundation of hiphop beats imo.

After looking at the diagram in manual this made perfect sense.......thanks bruh i can't wait to test it out....now if only I could construct a decent beat. LOL