Buck 65 wants to save music (I think heג€™s including Hip Hop)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Employee
Fast Eddie

Buck 65 wants to save music (I think heג€™s including Hip Hop)

Post by Employee »

http://www.steadybloggin.com/buck-65-wa ... g-hip-hop/
I, like a lot of people, believe that intellectual property and especially music (like all other artforms) has value. I also know that itג€™s very hard to stop the dissemination of intellectual property once its in a digital form.

So, what if a song was treated like, say, a painting? What if it was sold by the artist just once at a high value? The artist gets paid up front (for once) and after that, nature takes its course.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

interesting.

who pays the first high price, though? :killacam:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

my guess is the canadian government.

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

I believe Sufjan Stevens did this for one of his songs, which the owner only allowed certain people to ever hear.
some blog wrote:Want to hear Sufjanג€™s song ג€œThe Lonely Man of Winterג€ aka the song that will never be uploaded? If you live in or near Brooklyn, NY then you are in luck. Alec Duffy, the winner of The Great Sufjan Song Xmas Xchange contest in 2007, is hosting Hoi Polloiג€™s Sufjan Stevens Winter Song Exclusive Listening Sessions:

We would like to invite you to our Brooklyn home for an exclusive listening session of this gorgeous song, with hot beverages and cookiesג€¦ Weג€™ll be holding the sessions every Wednesday through February 25th. There will be sessions at 4 pm, 6 pm and 8 pmג€¦ There is limited availability of four people per session.

Annie Scott, a playwright and actress based in NYC, attended one of the first listening sessions. She posted an article about the saga of The Secret Sufjan Stevens Song.

Originally, Duffy planned ג€œa holiday show for 2008 in which the song will figure prominently,ג€ but held off due to lack of funds. Fans on the Sufjanfans.com forum proposed recording the holiday show and posting it to YouTube so that those unable to travel to New York would have an opportunity to hear the song. Duffy disapproves, so plans for a 2009 holiday show are now up in the air.

So far the fans have responded to the exclusive listening sessions and proposed holiday shows with disappointment. One fan says, ג€œnot everyone has the meansג€ to travel to New York and calls them ג€œsnooty little tea parties.ג€

Kinda seems shitty, doesn't it?
Last edited by Smooth Lou on Wed May 05, 2010 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nathan Blaze

Post by Nathan Blaze »

Lou, that is actually pretty fucking awesome.

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

odium-LSC wrote:my guess is the canadian government.
:lol:

Smooth Lou
The Mayor

Post by Smooth Lou »

Nathan Blaze wrote:Lou, that is actually pretty fucking awesome.
Yeah, you'd think so, until some random jagbag buys the new Ghostface with daddy's credit card and decides you can only come listen to it if you crawl to his house on your knees, Santa Muerte style, from wherever you live.

sneed

Post by sneed »

Thats's what Matthew Barney does. He sells his films like pieces of art and then the owner is basically free to do with them as they see fit.

The Iron Sheik
Loves Watching Lean On Me

Post by The Iron Sheik »

it's a brilliant idea

Verge

Post by Verge »

Smooth Lou wrote:
Nathan Blaze wrote:Lou, that is actually pretty fucking awesome.
Yeah, you'd think so, until some random jagbag buys the new Ghostface with daddy's credit card and decides you can only come listen to it if you crawl to his house on your knees, Santa Muerte style, from wherever you live.
Basically. Shit's wack.
"Listening tea parties" is some extremely faggish priveleged sounding shit.

zombie

Post by zombie »

buck 65 is just giving people something to think about before they steal music, but this really is just a stupid way of getting his point across.

Thun

Post by Thun »

If Dids is willing to max out his credit cards on unreleased Sage Francis songs, this could be a brilliant rape ploy.

Cowy

Post by Cowy »

Which would hold more auction value: the entire Sebutones catalog, or a napkin used by Pdiddy?
Last edited by Cowy on Wed May 05, 2010 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ROSARIO

Post by ROSARIO »

thats some faggot mozart and beethoven shit...private listens :roll:

Stoop Kid

Post by Stoop Kid »

ROSARIO wrote:faggot mozart and beethoven
:lol:

jaao

Post by jaao »

Smooth Lou wrote:I believe Sufjan Stevens did this for one of his songs, which the owner only allowed certain people to ever hear.
some blog wrote:Want to hear Sufjanג€™s song ג€œThe Lonely Man of Winterג€ aka the song that will never be uploaded? If you live in or near Brooklyn, NY then you are in luck. Alec Duffy, the winner of The Great Sufjan Song Xmas Xchange contest in 2007, is hosting Hoi Polloiג€™s Sufjan Stevens Winter Song Exclusive Listening Sessions:

We would like to invite you to our Brooklyn home for an exclusive listening session of this gorgeous song, with hot beverages and cookiesג€¦ Weג€™ll be holding the sessions every Wednesday through February 25th. There will be sessions at 4 pm, 6 pm and 8 pmג€¦ There is limited availability of four people per session.

Annie Scott, a playwright and actress based in NYC, attended one of the first listening sessions. She posted an article about the saga of The Secret Sufjan Stevens Song.

Originally, Duffy planned ג€œa holiday show for 2008 in which the song will figure prominently,ג€ but held off due to lack of funds. Fans on the Sufjanfans.com forum proposed recording the holiday show and posting it to YouTube so that those unable to travel to New York would have an opportunity to hear the song. Duffy disapproves, so plans for a 2009 holiday show are now up in the air.

So far the fans have responded to the exclusive listening sessions and proposed holiday shows with disappointment. One fan says, ג€œnot everyone has the meansג€ to travel to New York and calls them ג€œsnooty little tea parties.ג€

Kinda seems shitty, doesn't it?
Man, those people with their cookies and Sufjan Stevens song. They're probably the most insufferable pukes imaginable. I'd like to go to one of these listening sessions to smash their apartment up.

But yeah, Buck's idea is alright, new ideas are good.

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

This is a moronic idea because ownership of a song is pointless if no one can hear it, and worthless if everyone can hear it.

Maybe the artist will sell a chunk of the publishing? If I buy a song or album for whatever ludicrous sum you think music is worth, you had better believe I expect to get full publishing, royalty, and licensing rights. Fuck it, I want songwriting and executive producer credit too. Only on Planet Canada could such a dopey idea be conceived, where people would simply be altruistic enough to plop down new car money on some music, share it with the world, and kick money back to the artist for airplay.

How about instead of making music in your sinister, cavernous vault and releasing it periodically to auctioneers at Sotheby's, you get the fuck off your ass and perform your precious music for the fans? If you think it's worth a high price, charge $5,000 for tickets. If people are as down with supporting the arts you say, then you should live lovely on two shows a year.