roc marc shulda been solo off the jump

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Haitian Jack

roc marc shulda been solo off the jump

Post by Haitian Jack »

i like un or u out but marcberg got me thinkin bout wat if that had been a solo. them other rappers was cool but rilly that album had too much wasted lines & wasnt none of them marcianos.

panty_inspector

Post by panty_inspector »

roc used to roll with trife too but roc is not nicer than trife, imho

Haitian Jack

Post by Haitian Jack »

panty_inspector wrote:roc used to roll with trife too but roc is not nicer than trife, imho
link?

I Smell Like Un Kasa

Post by I Smell Like Un Kasa »

I always thought Dino Bravo was a more than capable mc. His style compliments Roc's pretty well.
Prepare yourself now for the six man wedding!

Haitian Jack

Post by Haitian Jack »

I Smell Like Un Kasa wrote:I always thought Dino Bravo was a more than capable mc. His style compliments Roc's pretty well.
he wuz good but it wulda been better if he showed up later. basiclly im sayin that un album shulda been a roc marc joint then do the un thing.

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

Haitian Jack wrote:
I Smell Like Un Kasa wrote:I always thought Dino Bravo was a more than capable mc. His style compliments Roc's pretty well.
he wuz good but it wulda been better if he showed up later. basiclly im sayin that un album shulda been a roc marc joint then do the un thing.
Nigga, No.

Haitian Jack

Post by Haitian Jack »

Tired & Broke wrote:
Haitian Jack wrote:
Nigga, No.
marcberg>>>un or u out

Odnet

Post by Odnet »

I liked the emcees in the UN a lot. Marcberg is dope as fuck but I liked the UN album more. I think a big reason is because there are hardly any "groups" with more than two emcees and it was dope to hear a gang of motherfuckers on that raw shit.

Haitian Jack

Post by Haitian Jack »

Odnet wrote:I liked the emcees in the UN a lot. Marcberg is dope as fuck but I liked the UN album more. I think a big reason is because there are hardly any "groups" with more than two emcees and it was dope to hear a gang of motherfuckers on that raw shit.
end of tha day that albums inconsistant & marcberg is the opposite imo

nestle quik

Post by nestle quik »

I like the album's beats alot and think the emcee's are kinda boring aside from marciano.

Odnet

Post by Odnet »

I like "Marcberg" a lot but the production is way more simplistic and just not as good as the UN production, in my opinion. But I think the UN album is the best album of the decade.

"Marcberg" is easily one of the best albums of the year, though.

Edit for actual discussion because this album should be talked about:

What are you feeling the most off of "Marcberg", anyway? "Jungle Fever" and "Pop" are amazing tracks.

Haitian Jack

Post by Haitian Jack »

Odnet wrote:I like "Marcberg" a lot but the production is way more simplistic and just not as good as the UN production, in my opinion. But I think the UN album is the best album of the decade.

What are you feeling the most off of "Marcberg", anyway? "Jungle Fever" and "Pop" are amazing tracks.
snow, ridin around, jungle fever, raw deal, thugs prayar

GoodLook

Post by GoodLook »

Odnet wrote:I like "Marcberg" a lot but the production is way more simplistic and just not as good as the UN production, in my opinion. But I think the UN album is the best album of the decade.

I agree, he couldve gave all those samples to a real producer and made solid beats out of them, they were good samples that he chose and had a lot of potential. But he sounds better over Pete Rock and Large Pro shit and the guy DOA. He also needs to step up his hook game. Great album but it was missing a few things. UN or U Out is a classic though.

Haitian Jack

Post by Haitian Jack »

so javascript:emoticon(':phila:') prefer un or u out to marcberg? i cant cosine that even tho i like the un joint its too much filler mcing on there to top rocs solo

Thun

Post by Thun »

I'm digging the Marcberg album but as IDAL and now many others have notes, Marc belongs in a group. He's the standout no doubt, but he's best among his peers.

Haitian Jack

Post by Haitian Jack »

Thun wrote:I'm digging the Marcberg album but as IDAL and now many others have notes, Marc belongs in a group. He's the standout no doubt, but he's best among his peers.
i can vibe wit him bein better in a group but i just aint thinkin that group is tha un. if roc, raekwon and boss money wanna form a group im all for it lol. them other dudes wuz cool especially dino brave but i feel like the end product wuz kinda watered down but marcberg is hittin all the way thru. i fucks with that un joint like i said mostly im just suprised niggas wuld rather un or u out over this rite here
Last edited by Haitian Jack on Fri May 14, 2010 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DLG

Post by DLG »

I agreed with the beats sounding very remedial and boring, it's the main reason why I'm not going back to the album too much.

Thun

Post by Thun »

DLG wrote:I agreed with the beats sounding very remedial and boring, it's the main reason why I'm not going back to the album too much.
That sucks, because rap is the genre where subtlety and uniformity sometimes produce something better that the sum if it's parts. In my opinion, this is the case with Marcberg. Hopefully when I finish my write up I will change your mindnsomewhat.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

It's a Cormega album minus the beats.

nickwoj

Post by nickwoj »

i feel like this is the best rap album since hell hath no fury.
un or u out was cool but this album has an amazing feel to it. it's nostalgic yet next level.

Renessis

Post by Renessis »

Roc obviously had a vision with this album, and it was executed well, otherwise it wouldn't have a "sound" as I think we can all agree it does.
This pretty much just the start of 2010.
On the Arch Druids LP, he's got a track with Ra Rugged the Man..c'mon now!

edit:

When I turn the party out then pull the shottie out
Stretch your body out it look foggy out

DLG

Post by DLG »

Thun wrote:
DLG wrote:I agreed with the beats sounding very remedial and boring, it's the main reason why I'm not going back to the album too much.
That sucks, because rap is the genre where subtlety and uniformity sometimes produce something better that the sum if it's parts. In my opinion, this is the case with Marcberg. Hopefully when I finish my write up I will change your mindnsomewhat.
went back to it this morning. I can see what you mean if you look at it from that perspective. The beats have a hypnotic feel to them that compliments his rhyming.

I'm new to him though, only heard him on the last P Brothers album, what UN albums should I check?

Haitian Jack

Post by Haitian Jack »

DLG wrote:
Thun wrote:

went back to it this morning. I can see what you mean if you look at it from that perspective. The beats have a hypnotic feel to them that compliments his rhyming.

I'm new to him though, only heard him on the last P Brothers album, what UN albums should I check?
they only got one & its called u n or u out

Brokewax

Post by Brokewax »

strength and honor is ill too

nickwoj

Post by nickwoj »

DLG wrote:
Thun wrote:

honestly, i think if you're not floored by the effortless style of this album at first listen you'll probably never get what's so sick about it. and that's not a diss, just sayin it might not be your style.

Verge

Post by Verge »

nickwoj wrote:
DLG wrote:
Thun wrote:

honestly, i think if you're not floored by the effortless style of this album at first listen you'll probably never get what's so sick about it. and that's not a diss, just sayin it might not be your style.
Yeah, this album is a true banger. Like someone said, Roc had a vision for this album and he succeeded with that. That's most likely why he did all the beats. He knew what he was doing. I'm sure he could've had Pete Rock or Large Pro at his disposal for this if he chose, but he didn't and the result is a completely cohesive album.
These are the kind of albums that rap has been missing. A full album with a vision, all put together by one person. And knocks.
Can't wait for Thun's write up on it.
:cheers:

H.E.

Post by H.E. »

Been listening to this all evening.
Album of the year this far.

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

Marc is more than capable of making damn good albums in a solo career, but I think he fits better in the contex of a group. The UN album was one of my favortes of this decade, so maybe tha's why I think so. I compeltely agree with Thun about the subtleties and sometimes less is more. Marcberg is a good album, but I could only hope that he made an album earlier in his career.

scotth34

Post by scotth34 »

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=9R1C0MD4

Here are the Instrumentals to Marcberg if anyone wants

ROSARIO

Post by ROSARIO »

This

Rocs solo shit is missing dinos touch on hooks, and the UN shit would have been even better than what it is(which aint that much cause that shit still gets play 6 years later) if it was just Roc and Dino on that superproducer sound.

Dino and Roc need to do an album together.(unless they have an ive missed it)