Rappers you once liked but no longer care about (NH)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Verge

Post by Verge »

MF Grimm
Was so ill in the 90's, but barely has a joint or two on any of his last like 8 albums. MAtter fact, imo, he never dropped a full dope LP. Scars and Memories was awesome but it was more like a best of unreleased type LP.

DLG

Post by DLG »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:
The Afronaut wrote:
DLG wrote:also add tame to the list. until he hooks up with some good producers.
I hate to agree with this...but dammit youre right.
Tame's been recording an album with this dude Nick Jackelson, and what I've heard of it sounds dope. The whole thing is being made analog and there's a concept song where Tame is a pirate. That's not a metaphor, he actually raps as a pirate. It's him completely going off the dust head deep end conceptually, and the beats play to all of his strengths. I'd hold out for this.
:naswtf:

could be amazing or the worst thing ever.

Verge

Post by Verge »

DLG wrote:
The Afronaut wrote:
DLG wrote:also add tame to the list. until he hooks up with some good producers.
Tame's been recording an album with this dude Nick Jackelson, and what I've heard of it sounds dope. The whole thing is being made analog and there's a concept song where Tame is a pirate. That's not a metaphor, he actually raps as a pirate. It's him completely going off the dust head deep end conceptually, and the beats play to all of his strengths. I'd hold out for this.

That shit will be rofls either way.
I didn't read the rest of the thread, but honestly I was gonna say Artifacts, too. Neither Tame nor especially El have done anything remotely near the quality of their collaborative LPs.
I know a lot of people here ride for Tamer D, but I still have yet to hear what I would consider a front to back, slammin album.

supnick

Post by supnick »

Verge wrote:MF Grimm
Was so ill in the 90's, but barely has a joint or two on any of his last like 8 albums. MAtter fact, imo, he never dropped a full dope LP. Scars and Memories was awesome but it was more like a best of unreleased type LP.
his verse on no snakes alive is :bow: status tho

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Verge wrote:MF Grimm
I quite liked that ...Gingerbread Man album, not really feeling his latest album though.

Da Publisher

Post by Da Publisher »

Req wrote:Streets Disciple (sup Publisher, lol)

btw
lol

And like The Frankest said I also give his later work more credit personally

You can put together a dope mix from 2001-2010 from unreleased, album tracks to guest features

thryle

Post by thryle »

Evidence, Prodigy, GZA

truthaddict

Post by truthaddict »

Ice Cube. He still surprises me with something good every few years, but I am not really expecting much.

Verge

Post by Verge »

thryle wrote:Evidence, Prodigy, GZA
Yeah, GZA has dated himself or just played himself. I think most everyone agrees that he's so damn lazy sounding on the mic now, that most of his shit ain't worth checking.(nh) But I did like some joints off that last album.

Prodigy, nah, I'll still check for him when he drops an LP. That HNIC 2 had some bangers. And I believe a lot of the ones I liked were keyboard beats, which I usually hate, but they pulled it off.

Evidence has always bored me to death. This is another one I think most heads agree about. Great beats, always, just puts me to sleep on the mic. I remember being pretty surprised back when they started playing their(dilated) videos on BET. Peace to him though, always bangin out the dope beats, at least.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Verge wrote:
DLG wrote:
The Afronaut wrote:

That shit will be rofls either way.
I didn't read the rest of the thread, but honestly I was gonna say Artifacts, too. Neither Tame nor especially El have done anything remotely near the quality of their collaborative LPs.
I know a lot of people here ride for Tamer D, but I still have yet to hear what I would consider a front to back, slammin album.
Couple things...is Nick Jackelson the same person he just put out that Cheech Wizard (cant remember if that was the actual title) ep with?

Also, When Rappers Attack was a pretty dope record front to back in my opinion.

Verge

Post by Verge »

No idea, man, sorry.

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

Slug.
I <3 Employee.

Stoop Kid

Post by Stoop Kid »

Myjah wrote:Slug.

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

rappers still make albums?

i don't think i've gotten an album with raps on it for about a year.

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

Stoop Kid wrote:
Myjah wrote:Slug.

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

Verge wrote:
thryle wrote:Evidence, Prodigy, GZA
Yeah, GZA has dated himself or just played himself. I think most everyone agrees that he's so damn lazy sounding on the mic now, that most of his shit ain't worth checking.(nh) But I did like some joints off that last album.
I always felt that laziness I've started to hear is due to the overall climate of hip hop lyricism reaching new lows in regards to skill, there just aren't as many mind blowing MCs like GZA around anymore. I remember he said something similar to that himself in an interview with halftimeonline.com.

I can imagine if you're an MC with mad skills and there's not much other artists around to be inspired or challenged by, hip hop can get boring quick.

If one of my favorite MCs skills or output lowers over time, I'm not one to get mad unless they've clearly sold out in some form. I realize even if you're an artist life moves on and as you grow older more important things come into play that require you're attention like family. When I think of all the female MCs that disappeared, I realize they probably took time out to pay attention to their family or children.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mayhem

Post by mayhem »

Xzibit comes to mind. I think after he hooked up with Dr. Dre and went the commercial route he totally lost all credibility not to mention hosting Pimp My Ride basically killed his rap career.
Heeeey youuu guyyys - Goonies

Verge

Post by Verge »

mayhem wrote:Xzibit comes to mind. I think after he hooked up with Dr. Dre and went the commercial route he totally lost all credibility not to mention hosting Pimp My Ride basically killed his rap career.
word. I was completely checking for his music when I first heard Paparazzi, but as time went on, yeah, what you said.

skizm

Post by skizm »

I'll 2nd Xzibit.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

would thun's list be as long as his ignore list (and include some posters in it)?
Nets 2022

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

mad old threads popping up

fat joe
fabolous
atmosphere
sage
mf doom(last 2 projects kinda saved it)
jurassic 5
talib kweli
bun b
jean grae
royce da 5'9''
Jay Z
The Game
Lloyd Banks
Immortal Technique
Diabolic
Stimuli
Cunninlynguists
Skyzoo
Red Cafe aka commercial skyzoo
Casual
Lupe Fiasco
Jay Elec..actually i dont know if i ever liked dude
Del
Lauryn Hill
Rah Digga
Murs
Black Rob
Aesop Rock
Xzibit
Evidence/DP
Strong Arm Steady(Stoney Jackson is a dope LP)
just about anyone Dj Premier-affiliated..NYGz, Shug, etc.

im sure i could double this list easily, :owens:

Praverb

Post by Praverb »

I will have to say Royce Da 5'9"

Kace

Post by Kace »

Jay Electronica. After it became known that he stole all those songs and he never put out any new ones ever again.

Thun

Post by Thun »

All rappers except the ones from Odd Future

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Yeah, everyone.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Thun wrote:All rappers except the ones from Odd Future
don't lie you know you're pitching rutgers a basedistenliasm class for next semester
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

MF ZACK

Post by MF ZACK »

Jay Elect, cause he's taking too long.
as far as Kanye goes, I'd rather him just put out beat tapes. He's really just saying the same shit over and over nowadays.

Boom Bap King

Post by Boom Bap King »

Some of these artist still have it in them somewhere..they just lost their hunger. Cats are scared to go back and look at what made the special to begin with..they on some moving forward stuff but moving forward ain't working.that's why rae won with cuban linx 2 he went back into that chamber or frame of mind..if some of these cats would do that they would make classic material again.
Golden Era State of Mind

vinylpops

Post by vinylpops »

Nas, Royce 59 and Murs.