Curren$y - Pilot Talk

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Curren$y - Pilot Talk

Post by Icesickle »

Here's the video for the first single off the album, which is scheduled to drop this summer. Creative Control does a nice job, as usual.

<object width="448" height="374"><param name="movie" value="http://videos.onsmash.com/e/ugi96EGhyQ3 ... ram><param name="allowFullscreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://videos.onsmash.com/e/ugi96EGhyQ3nCngj" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" allowScriptAccess="always" width="448" height="374"></embed></object>
Last edited by Icesickle on Wed May 19, 2010 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Stoop Kid

Post by Stoop Kid »

fa SHOOOOO

perlman

Post by perlman »

I thought this was supposed to drop yesterday
If I had a hammer/I'd build a city on stilts

Stoop Kid

Post by Stoop Kid »

Curren$y has the best taste (nh) in cars.

supnick

Post by supnick »

can't wait

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

heard this the other day. Currensy rips it. Hated French Montana.

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b0lnnUFDfEk&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b0lnnUFDfEk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

craig

Post by craig »

bump. looking forward to this album. is it still supposed to drop tues. or has it been pushed back again? i've been searching for news about the release date but i haven't found anything concrete.

jazzmatazz23

Post by jazzmatazz23 »

awesome!!!!

supnick

Post by supnick »

tuesday as in today tuesday?

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

it says june 22 if you do a web search

Dudeman

Post by Dudeman »

I think I read on nahright or some ish that it got pushed back to August
dudeman

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Looks like July 13th.

Complex:

"Example"
Produced by: Ski Beatz

Complex says: We didn't actually hear the first track on the album, which probably was because of some of the f**kery that went down at the DD172 listening. Starting to play the album while people are still downstairs watching Curren$y perform? Check. Dame Dash high as hell and not being able to properly introduce his artist before the preview starts? Check. Starting the album off without announcing the songs? Check. A paranoid Dame threatening to send goons over to writers with laptops? f**k outta here. Especially considering your camp leaked half of the album yourself. We f**k with Spitta, but Dame takes an L for that. No shots.

"Audio Dope 2"

Complex Says: The first thing that stands out is the beat. It's a repetitive, but catchy loop with heavy bass. We didn't really catch the verses too well, but it's hard to focus when there's so many hoes and so much weed smoke in the airג€”both in the song and at the listening. Not that we're complaining. s**t knocks regardless.

"King Kong"

Complex Says: If you haven't heard this jam of a lead single yet, then you're clearly tripping (and not off of what Spitta's on). The drums are bigger than King Kong himself and Curren$y's flow and confidence is at its best: "Wannabe pilots get swatted out the sky..."

"Seat Change" f/ Snoop Dogg

Complex Says: Spitta and Snoop bring that smooth s**t and talk about a girl who "wants to ride with a G" but messes up her chances. It's laid back with a heavily rock-influenced sound, courtesy of guitar riffs and thumping drums. Snoop brings a whiny flow and solid verses. Not really the smokers' anthem you'd expect with these two on the track, but definitely something to cruise to.

"Breakfast"
Produced by: Mos Def

Complex says: Mos Def supplies a beat that knocks, with horns that ride throughout and a hint of a jazz swing. Don't worry though, Curren$y doesn't switch it up at all, and still talks that pilot s**t, bragging about "New Orleans this morning, New York this evening" and creepin' with side chicks. The album version is updated from the song used for the video, with new ad-libs here and there from Mos.

"Roasted" f/ Trademark & Young Roddy
Produced by: MonstaBeatz

Complex says: The beat is busy but serves as a solid platform for the three spitters. There's old school synths, subtle keys, and hard drums. There's talk of smoking to relieve stress, and Spitta not sweating 'em, "Olympic swimming in b**ches, Michael/Leon Phelps." Young Roddy, with his high but gritty voice (think Lil Boosie meets Curren$y) finishes the track.

"Skybourne" f/ Smoke Dza & Big K.R.I.T.

Complex says: On this smooth track, Spitta gets some help from Big K.R.I.T., whose Southern flow matches perfectly with the light flute and heavy drums. The third verse is handled by Smoke DZA, who assists Curren$y with more weed talk and lines like, "They lie, money really grows on trees." Damn, can we get a few branches off that?

"The Hangover" f/ Mikey Rocks

Complex says: This track about partying your troubles away might be the weakest song on the album, coming close to bringing the entire mood of the album down. We can see where the title came from: you know that groggy feeling and headache you'd happily do without? Yeah, that's this song.

"The Day" f/ Mos Def & Jay Electronica

Complex says: After Curren$y confirmed last year that he, Mos, and Jay Elec had recorded six songs together under the group name Center Edge Territory, the Internet's ears perked up. Thankfully, their first record does not disappoint. Everyone goes in and adds their own signature flow, with Jay boasting, "Tell the boys they run is up." That's real talk: if a group album really is on the horizon, it's about to be a wrap for these other dudes.

"Prioritize" (Beeper Bill) f/ Nesby Phips
Produced by: Nesby Phibs

Complex says: Both the song and video have been out since March, but unlike those early released tracks you skip when the album drops, this never gets old. Whether it's the incredible beat, the ill hook (a line from Big Boi's verse off "Aquemini"), or the contrasting flows of these two MCs, there's no shortage or reasons to play this again...and again.

"Chilled Coughphee" f/ Devin The Dude

Complex says: You don't have to be a genius to know what these two will rap about when they get on a track together. Devin takes the lead and delivers in his signature laid-back, sing-songy flow over a beat laced with a soulful guitar and a piano. Curren$y does his thing as well, and the track mightily fulfills its "Weed Dedicated Cut" position.

"Address" f/ Stalley

Complex says: Another record that dropped early, "Address" could easily be seen as the best record on the album. If you've never heard of Stalley, this'll help you get familiar.

"Life Under The Scope"
Produced by: Ski Beatz & Michael Sterling Eaton

Complex says: Released in November of last year, "Life Under The Scope" still gets played 'til this very day. His weed lit and his glass chilled, Curren$y can take a puff and toast to an impressive third album.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

the songs from this album he did at the brooklyn bowl on monday were fucking fantastic

the kid is also a surprisingly good live performer, and did really really well with a live band that was basically just playing whatever the fuck they wanted for the songs that weren't from the album.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

supnick

Post by supnick »

that's what i'm talking about

Tariq's Dilemma

Post by Tariq's Dilemma »

So hyped for this. Curren$y's last few mixtapes, hell all of em actually, have ridiculous replay value.

Love that dude doesn't rap about drug dealing. doesn't rap about killing people. Doesn't have any tattoos and rocks no chains yet he raps about eating gourmet snacks and playing NBA 2k for dreamcast

Gurped Out

Post by Gurped Out »

Really looking forward to this dude makes good albums

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Too many guests and not enough Monstabeatz on paper. At least Trademark made it.

Tariq's Dilemma

Post by Tariq's Dilemma »

Glad Nesby Phips is on this. Of the one Wiz mixtape I have had, Nizby's verse on "Supply" was the best thing on the whole tape.

starks

Post by starks »

so excite

Dudeman

Post by Dudeman »

blastmaster wrote:Too many guests and not enough Monstabeatz on paper.
its for the best. those dudes trying to sing on every hook was no good.
dudeman

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

blastmaster wrote:not enough Monstabeatz on paper..
:larry: ski is in renaissance mode right now, and based on teh past year i'd rather hear him do this than something with camp lo
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Post by GM Dizzy Skillespie »

Curren$y in the past few weeks has become my favorite rapper.

I'm so fucking hyped for this record.

King Kong is a dope track.
he's got some awesome guest appearances and producers on this record... it just feels like it will be a good fucking listen.

varick pyr

Post by varick pyr »

Tariq's Dilemma wrote:So hyped for this.

point blank

Post by point blank »

supnick wrote:
that's what i'm talking about
it leaked

http://usershare.net/mookiewilson/zc095bshytxp

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Post by GM Dizzy Skillespie »

point blank wrote: