Remix album: D-Sisive, Eternia, Moka Only, Mindbender, Epic

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Employee wrote:
Blockhead wrote: It happened to me on my last album cover (also involving monkeys) and we switched shit around a little just as a precaution , knowing how sensitive people can be about this kinda shit.
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: / :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

And you actually went along with that shit?

Isn't one of art's many purpose to offend, unintentionally or otherwise?
Well, what happened was we had two choices for the cover and went with one over the other. The one we didn't choose ended up on the inside and putting it on the cover wasn't worth the possible confusion it might cost. You have no idea how much bullshit someone can get over things like this so being careful about it is just saving yourself from possible confusion and people reading into something wrong. Especially when the thing they would be reading into would be simply some decorative shit that, in the long run, doesn't matter. Huge sell out , right?
In the end of the day, it was an album cover that has no impact on the music itself. It wasn't a gut wrenching choice that i was artistically torn about. I love the cover I decided on.

Is the purpose of art to offend? I'm sure in some cases but not an instrumental album that will mostly be bought by beat nerds and girls.
But in the case of PFAC, then yes. that was 100% built to offend.

DoogieHowitzer

Post by DoogieHowitzer »

Well, from the reaction I'm getting, perhaps you chose wisely...

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

It would be some cracka from :ohcanada:

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Blockhead wrote:
Employee wrote:
Blockhead wrote: It happened to me on my last album cover (also involving monkeys) and we switched shit around a little just as a precaution , knowing how sensitive people can be about this kinda shit.
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: / :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

And you actually went along with that shit?

Isn't one of art's many purpose to offend, unintentionally or otherwise?
Well, what happened was we had two choices for the cover and went with one over the other. The one we didn't choose ended up on the inside and putting it on the cover wasn't worth the possible confusion it might cost. You have no idea how much bullshit someone can get over things like this so being careful about it is just saving yourself from possible confusion and people reading into something wrong. Especially when the thing they would be reading into would be simply some decorative shit that, in the long run, doesn't matter. Huge sell out , right?
In the end of the day, it was an album cover that has no impact on the music itself. It wasn't a gut wrenching choice that i was artistically torn about. I love the cover I decided on.

Is the purpose of art to offend? I'm sure in some cases but not an instrumental album that will mostly be bought by beat nerds and girls.
But in the case of PFAC, then yes. that was 100% built to offend.
No, I don't think you're a sell out. I do think you're faggy for buying into the weaknesses of other people's perceptions of reality. But hey, you make beats all night and sleep all day. I'm a message board queer.

You win.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

:leon:
It's all about picking your battles.
The older I get , the less I give a fuck about dealing with pointless headaches bought on by other peoples inability to "get it". Especially when it's about some detail I simply don't care THAT much about.

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

Music by cave light, eh?

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

KhillA wrote:Music by cave light, eh?

:omgracist:

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

:lol: at faggot ass employee defending this shit for 3 pages just because mindbender is affiliated. what a herb.

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

DoogieHowitzer wrote: Yeah, one monkey has an afro and an afro pick. Another has blond hair.
probably a weave.

wuk

Post by wuk »

While I am sure there isn't any actual racist intent behind this picture, it is just so clearly and obviously something most intelligent folks would never consider for the cover of a hip hop record.

Perhaps in Canada this doesn't have the same connotations as here, like how they still sell sambo dolls in Japan, or how Australians don't see anything wrong with performing Jackson 5 songs in blackface.

The intent does not have to be racist for it to be wrong. I'm sure whoever behind this record is cool people, but the cover is a mistake. If Asher Roth or even Eminem or somebody put this out as his record cover, he would be murdered by the media. It's not a good look in the USA.

I am going to download the free tracks though.
ryebread mixes. <--------download

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote::lol: at faggot ass employee defending this shit for 3 pages just because mindbender is affiliated. what a herb.
a) Show me where I defended this project based exclusively on the grounds it features Mindbender. Prove it.

b) You stay glued to my nuts with so much regularity I confuse you with my left hand.

c) The cover isn't "racist" or "bigoted" by any definition.

d) These forums are filled with jokes about AIDS, gays, cripples, bitches, retards, faggots, Icesickles, whites, blacks, latins, asians, religion etc.

e) You're genuinely dumb.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

thekeentwo wrote:
Balzac wrote:hahahhahhaha, what a joke

hey, where was your righteousness when the gorillaz album(s) dropped

a lot of their art is now racist if you follow the guidelines presented in this thread.
i have never listed to said album

:smugkid:
yo-signed

Del played hisself? :wtf:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rob Sonic

Post by Rob Sonic »

cover defs took me a back, maybe it says something about the cover or me or society or pancakes, whatever the artist should not be concerned what anyone thinks, they know their intention.
NICE CAT!

DoogieHowitzer

Post by DoogieHowitzer »

Word up... What he ^^ said...

The artist is not concerned. I think we were just surprised by this interpretation of the cover.

EndsAll

Post by EndsAll »

Doogie, never once have you truly gotten off the reality of this situation....

http://www.workturkeymusic.com/

"Joshua" or Dirty Sample is all about Apes and considers hisself an ape of slang proportions.....IE: "2 Blue Apes" project....

He's all about the monkeys, man.....

Someone asked how my little monkey was referring to my son (I'm black).....People all around said person were taken back by this..... The guy who asked turned red and insisted he was not making a racist connotation..... I knew he wasn't at all, so I let it be. It was the inclusion of other people's opinions that the whole racist connotation even came about. Had the convo just been him asking and me answering, no one woulda been screamin Phoenix!!!! ;)

Bottom line: People look for shit to bash alla the time. Especially here! or message boards period while they can play the role of Al Sharpton when they really look like Alfred E. Newman....pfffffft....'the f*ck outta here...

I am black.
I live in the US.
One of our tracks (That has the word Monkey in it even) remixed is featured on said disc.....
I know Doogie.
I know Dirty Sample.
They are not and were not making a racist connotation what so ever....
I think things must be more easy going in Canada than in uptight Amerikkka.
Amerikkkans always looking for a f*ckin seperation or quarrel for no reason.

Shame on you Noah for skunking Doogie, someone who always got ya back just because ya likkle message board community decided to take a political sh!t on a project Doogie was nice enough to involve you in. THAT is where the real sucker shit lies right now. Everyone else here (except for maybe Keene) is on some jokester sourcasm yo....

Why do people still promote on message boards like it's real promo.
Ya asking for this type of sh!t everytime.
IF? you really wanna escalate and build further Doogie, do yaself a favor and stay off message boards. To present your works in a manor that expresses a quest for escalation you gotta play the role.
I don't see Russell defending Def Jam on boards....... But I do see El P, Sage, Slug, etc...Those days are over for NEW(ER) people trying to get to where they already took shit!

The day and age of staying constantly connected to fans is dead.
Get ya snob on and be a real celebrity.
People will view you as such.

Now no more monkey business, kiddies.

:omgracist:

Squeeze.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Most intelligent thing I've read in the whole thread.

Req

Post by Req »

Icesickle wrote:
I could understand how someone who has not taken a university course in Film Sociology and Canadian Modern History would not be able to spot the obvious racist imagery or Quebec's aggressive agenda to be awarded self-sovereignty.
F.U. MOOLAH

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

DoogieHowitzer wrote:The cover is an interpretation of the intro track in which The Dirty Sample, who is often represented on his album covers and other artwork as a silverback gorilla, takes on this persona in this dream where he he is able to party with the rest of the monkeys in his pack... The monkeys are meant to be monkeys. No need to get so Freudian. It's just Planet of the Apes. The intro, played out as a dream, repeats the sample "Joshua partied with the monkeys" and contains monkey sound effects, all of which inspired the direction of the cover. It's a hip hop album so it's a hip hop party.
Oh I get it. It's a borky canadian rap fan having a dream that he parties with the black people.

Makes sense now.

:lock:

Also, any faggot making a genre of music invented in the U.S. that they are marketing to a U.S. audience on a U.S. site turning around and saying that Americans are too sensitive is an epic faggot. Nobody is catching feelings, just telling you that you are the fag you are.

EndsAll

Post by EndsAll »

Dawgs, ya reachin for no reason (reach around even!).

And wrong, at Syracuse University I took a class entitled "History & Politics of Blacks in Film"....... Amongst other socio-political film courses...
Not that this convo needs "to go there".....

Everything from "Birth of a Nation" to "Cooley High"....

But, "nice try, better luck next time".....

Squeeze.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Icesickle wrote:
Leave it to this faggot.

Do you have any self-worth, mother fucker?

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

I am a fairly racist kinda guy and I like the cover.

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

EndsAll wrote:Shame on you Noah for skunking Doogie, someone who always got ya back just because ya likkle message board community decided to take a political sh!t on a project Doogie was nice enough to involve you in. THAT is where the real sucker shit lies right now.
this is very on point

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Employee wrote:
step one wrote:
DoogieHowitzer wrote:Quit looking for hidden meanings in everything... As Freud once said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
yeah but when the cigar is being smoked by a monkey with a 40oz in the other hand and an afro pick in his hair its just :omgracist:
Was the artist who drew the black character in your signature black or white? Frankly, I find it offensive and it is clear that all you're interested in doing is mocking black people.
You dumb fuck. Nobody is saying that people can't draw cartoons of people who are a different race. They're saying it's a faggy canadian :wtf: move to draw black people as monkeys. You're a fucking idiot if you're drawing black people as monkeys and not expecting people to pause. You're a fucking idiot if you're drawing Jewish people as rats and not expecting people to pause.*

Nobody is calling dude a racist, but being aloof to these things is epically Canadian.

(Before you say it, Maus was mice, not rats, not offensive, and the Nazis as cats made the distinction and what was being done beyond clear).

Balzac wrote:
EndsAll wrote:Shame on you Noah for skunking Doogie, someone who always got ya back just because ya likkle message board community decided to take a political sh!t on a project Doogie was nice enough to involve you in. THAT is where the real sucker shit lies right now.
this is very on point
Why? Because he's not coming up with hairbrained defenses for a cover he'd never seen before and wasn't involved with? Maybe dude shouldn't say anything at all, but this point is beyond stupid.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

PopeyeJones wrote:
Employee wrote:
step one wrote:
DoogieHowitzer wrote:Quit looking for hidden meanings in everything... As Freud once said, "Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar."
yeah but when the cigar is being smoked by a monkey with a 40oz in the other hand and an afro pick in his hair its just :omgracist:
Was the artist who drew the black character in your signature black or white? Frankly, I find it offensive and it is clear that all you're interested in doing is mocking black people.
You dumb fuck. Nobody is saying that people can't draw cartoons of people who are a different race. They're saying it's a faggy canadian :wtf: move to draw black people as monkeys. You're a fucking idiot if you're drawing black people as monkeys and not expecting people to pause. You're a fucking idiot if you're drawing Jewish people as rats and not expecting people to pause.*

Nobody is calling dude a racist, but being aloof to these things is epically Canadian.

(Before you say it, Maus was mice, not rats, not offensive, and the Nazis as cats made the distinction and what was being done beyond clear).
Are you this stupid in real life too?

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

^^Bobbing and weaving with unrelated not-quite-pithy quips again?

You made a half-assed, laughably retarded comparison. Get over it.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

PopeyeJones wrote:^^Bobbing and weaving with unrelated not-quite-pithy quips again?

You made a half-assed, laughably retarded comparison. Get over it.
Like I said, are you this stupid in real life too?

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

PopeyeJones wrote:
Balzac wrote:]
this is very on point
Why? Because he's not coming up with hairbrained defenses for a cover he'd never seen before and wasn't involved with? Maybe dude shouldn't say anything at all, but this point is beyond stupid.
noah is obviously being a yes man here.
anyone even slightly familiar with the dirty sample knows he's all about monkeys and has had monkey themed releases in the past. its not a new thing. throwing someone under the bus just to catch a few pats on the back on :phila: is a weak look

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Noah23: FAGGOT.

DoogieHowitzer

Post by DoogieHowitzer »

PopeyeJones wrote:
Employee wrote:
step one wrote:

I think the problem here is people assuming that just because the characters on the cover are monkeys that they have to be black... To me, and I would dare say to many others who saw the cover and didn't suddenly have this epiphany of racism, there is no automatic correlation between monkeys and black people.

As Balzac pointed out, those of you who have a problem with this cover should also feel the same way about the use of monkeys to characterize the Gorillaz. And I also agree with EndsAll that to even come to the conclussion that there is any racism in this cover is reaching far and wide to find something to complain about.

And to EndsAll, I hear what you're saying about promoting on message boards, but these days you have to take advantage of every outlet you can... I've also gone the more traditional route, too, with a banner ad on this very site, as well on others, plus print advertising and the regular massive promo mailing.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

You mother fuckers just got pwned by a guy from the same country as Mr. Hat Collage.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y46T3qS2zXs&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y46T3qS2zXs&hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>