Top Ten Rappers In Canada by National Post

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Top Ten Rappers In Canada by National Post

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

http://arts.nationalpost.com/2010/10/20 ... in-canada/

Last week, BET put out their list of the top 10 rappers of the 21st century. Eminem was number one, followed in sequence by Lil Wayne, Kanye West, 50 Cent, T.I., Ludacris, Drake, Young Jeezy, Jadakiss and Rick Ross.

Inspired by the list, The Ampersand called some friends and put our heads together to think about how weג€™d rank the Canadian rap stars.

Here then, are the top 10 (fine, 11) rappers in Canada:

10. Michee Mee: Still no other female Canadian MC has carried the weight of Michee.

9. D-Sisive: Started as a battler. Still battling.

8. Buck 65: He raps about baseball. Enough said.

7. Saukrates / Maestro: Itג€™s a tie at number seven. These two are old school but Saukrates is killing it with his new song about Emily Haines. And without Maestro, thereג€™s no list.

6. Classified: Actually one of our truest hip-hoppers, Class has personality and rugged lyrics. If Canadian rappers were American, Classified would be from Brooklyn or the Bronx (instead of Nova Scotia)

5. Kג€™naan: Heג€™s colourful, charismatic, and a terrific writer blessed with a golden voice. His next move could be anything. Hereג€™s hoping he decides to stay rap.

4. Drake: Singlehandedly keeping Lil Wayne alive while heג€™s in prison, Drake is not only the most popular Canadian rapper of all-time, heג€™s also the smoothest, and nearly the best.

3. k-os: Gotta love his rock star approach and his lyrics. Who else drinks white wine in the morning when he must meet the press?

2. Kardinal Offishall: The big boss of the Canadian hip-hop game, Kardiג€™s been number one for so long that itג€™s only his recent pop moves with Akon that found him losing ground to Shad. Kardinal is still a serious MC, though. Thereג€™s nothing weג€™d like more than rocking to him retake his crown.

1. Shad: He had us convinced with his first Polaris-nominated record, The Old Prince. Then he dropped TSOL last year, and blew us away. TSOL just dropped in the U.S., where heג€™s currently touring with k-os. Kanye ג€“ get ahold of this man, before youג€™re opening for him.
:killacam:

not that some of these don't deserve to be on there, virtually all of them do.

but how much does the National Post know if they can't even spell "Michie Mee" properly? lol.

LOL @ reducing Buck 65 to a "baseball rapper". ugh.

Shad is one of the wittiest songwriters on planet earth.
Move on these squares like a chess piece, Iג€™m deadly
Even if you Supernatural, Iג€™m Craig G
Jesse James meets Jet Li
Killinג€™ these fakes at breakneck speed
I make your head steam like a pet peeve
Get your neck squeezed till the breath leaves
Got the finesse and the prestige
And more Mac(k) than ten tech geeks dissinג€™ XP
not even near his greatest, but one of my personal favorites...

:ohcanada:
Last edited by Mindbender Futurama on Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

at least they got #1 right.

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

#1 of all time should be Maestro Fresh Wes . He's yalls Kane and Lord Finesse.

Hair of the Dog

Post by Hair of the Dog »

"If Canadian rappers were American, Classified would be from Brooklyn or the Bronx (instead of Nova Scotia)"

....and if verne troyer weren't a little person, he would be a 6'4" 250 pound linebacker for the eagles...but instead hes just a little person.

Teddy C.D.

Re: Top Ten Rappers In Canada by National Post

Post by Teddy C.D. »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
http://arts.nationalpost.com/2010/10/20 ... in-canada/

Last week, BET put out their list of the top 10 rappers of the 21st century. Eminem was number one, followed in sequence by Lil Wayne, Kanye West, 50 Cent, T.I., Ludacris, Drake, Young Jeezy, Jadakiss and Rick Ross.

Inspired by the list, The Ampersand called some friends and put our heads together to think about how weג€™d rank the Canadian rap stars.

Here then, are the top 10 (fine, 11) rappers in Canada:

10. Michee Mee: Still no other female Canadian MC has carried the weight of Michee.

9. D-Sisive: Started as a battler. Still battling.

8. Buck 65: He raps about baseball. Enough said.

7. Saukrates / Maestro: Itג€™s a tie at number seven. These two are old school but Saukrates is killing it with his new song about Emily Haines. And without Maestro, thereג€™s no list.

6. Classified: Actually one of our truest hip-hoppers, Class has personality and rugged lyrics. If Canadian rappers were American, Classified would be from Brooklyn or the Bronx (instead of Nova Scotia)

5. Kג€™naan: Heג€™s colourful, charismatic, and a terrific writer blessed with a golden voice. His next move could be anything. Hereג€™s hoping he decides to stay rap.

4. Drake: Singlehandedly keeping Lil Wayne alive while heג€™s in prison, Drake is not only the most popular Canadian rapper of all-time, heג€™s also the smoothest, and nearly the best.

3. k-os: Gotta love his rock star approach and his lyrics. Who else drinks white wine in the morning when he must meet the press?

2. Kardinal Offishall: The big boss of the Canadian hip-hop game, Kardiג€™s been number one for so long that itג€™s only his recent pop moves with Akon that found him losing ground to Shad. Kardinal is still a serious MC, though. Thereג€™s nothing weג€™d like more than rocking to him retake his crown.

1. Shad: He had us convinced with his first Polaris-nominated record, The Old Prince. Then he dropped TSOL last year, and blew us away. TSOL just dropped in the U.S., where heג€™s currently touring with k-os. Kanye ג€“ get ahold of this man, before youג€™re opening for him.
:killacam:

not that some of these don't deserve to be on there, virtually all of them do.

but how much does the National Post know if they can't even spell "Michie Mee" properly? lol.

LOL @ reducing Buck 65 to a "baseball rapper". ugh.

Shad is one of the wittiest songwriters on planet earth.
Move on these squares like a chess piece, Iג€™m deadly
Even if you Supernatural, Iג€™m Craig G
Jesse James meets Jet Li
Killinג€™ these fakes at breakneck speed
I make your head steam like a pet peeve
Get your neck squeezed till the breath leaves
Got the finesse and the prestige
And more Mac(k) than ten tech geeks dissinג€™ XP
not even near his greatest, but one of my personal favorites...

:ohcanada:
Pretty shitty list. Shad is pretty dope from what I've heard so far, but number 1 should be Maestro Fresh Wes--he really IS the Kane of Canadian hip-hop. Michie Mee should be at least top 5, and Kardinall Offishall has no business being anywhere near number 2. K-OS is OK, definitely not number 3, K'Naan is OK but pretty overrated (and is dancing that fine line between pop and hip-hop with singing)... and why the fuck is Drake number 4?

The problem isn't that Canadians aren't good hip-hop artists, it's that a lot of Canadians are just terrible at judging their (our) own rappers. I never understood why Kardinall Offishall is such a big deal, Much Music hypes him up way too much.

TheBigSleep

Re: Top Ten Rappers In Canada by National Post

Post by TheBigSleep »

Kanye, get a hold of this man, before youג€™re opening for him.
Even they don't believe this.

Liger Woods

Post by Liger Woods »

no choclair? lol

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

No "Pimp of the Microphone" HDV?

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

you guys are really missing out on some jems. Harpoon Missile, for one, LOL
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thun

Post by Thun »

:mods:

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

Moka Only

truthaddict

Post by truthaddict »

Did the list really need to be this long?

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

mike eagle wrote:Moka Only
Take K-OS off, add Moke, and get rid of the tossed off insulting blurbs and you got a decent list from a national newspaper here.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

Makes me really wish that circa-2004 E-Dot album came out.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

Hair of the Dog wrote:"If Canadian rappers were American, Classified would be from Brooklyn or the Bronx (instead of Nova Scotia)"

....and if verne troyer weren't a little person, he would be a 6'4" 250 pound linebacker for the eagles...but instead hes just a little person.
:lol:
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

blameoner

Post by blameoner »

what is it to go gold there? 5k sold? 10k?

Req

Post by Req »

blameoner wrote:what is it to go gold there? 5k sold? 10k?
I think it's what the US is divided by 10 for the population differential, so 50K i guess
F.U. MOOLAH

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

i dont even know half of that list. Sauk is ill, but his material doesnt match how good he is really. Drake can rap if he want to but i dont wanna hear all that crooning. Moka Only is one of the most consistent cats around and his music has consistently gotten better. that shit he was dropping in the early 00s doenst fuck with his stuff from the last couple of years..

surprised i dont know more Canadian mcs but they gets no love in the us usually...whatever happened to Choclair? haha

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

:lock:

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

Moolah wrote::lock:
Before or after the Australian top 10 is posted ?

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

we need that Aussie top 10, 100% Dundee

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

The real news is that drake made a list of the best rappers of the 21st century? WTF??

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Smitty wrote:
mike eagle wrote:Moka Only
Take K-OS off, add Moke, and get rid of the tossed off insulting blurbs and you got a decent list from a national newspaper here.
I'd get rid of K'Naan instead; K-Os, I don't mind and would keep on the list. Moka Only should be on there. And I rate D-Sisive a little higher. And there's no Cadence Weapon? SMH......
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

A Kid wrote:we need that Aussie top 10, 100% Dundee
I got this

Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

CRASH DDZ wrote:
:lol: Moolah's been working hard to fit in on :phila: to abandon the bork lifestyle.

Vlad Analogue

Post by Vlad Analogue »

who's Shad?

Thun

Post by Thun »

ardamus wrote:
CRASH DDZ wrote:
:lol: Moolah's been working hard to fit in on :phila: to abandon the bork lifestyle.
Does that mean that you and Crash are working overtime to embrace the bork lifestyle?

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

Thun wrote:
ardamus wrote:
CRASH DDZ wrote:
Does that mean that you and Crash are working overtime to embrace the bork lifestyle?
Now you just wait a new bork minute there patna !

Justice was the only one I could think of tho.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Thun wrote:
ardamus wrote:
CRASH DDZ wrote:
Does this mean every time I make a comment now that you will chase me after me?

Shiftshock

Post by Shiftshock »

i think we can agree if it wasn't for drake. this list wouldve never been created. just sayin