Kanye West - Dark Twisted Fantasy

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

DLG wrote: Outkast has been doing the long instrumental interlude in the middle of a rap song thing for a while, though, I mean, kanye's not reinventing the wheel.

That instrumental build up into the chanting at the end of B.O.B. is one of the greatest musical moments ever for me.
Yeah, at the end of the song. That's why I brought up Shock G too.

In any case, it sounds familiar, but it's not on Aquemini as far as I remember.

I'm probably just brainfarting, though.

DLG

Post by DLG »

nah, I'm just saying that Outkast, as poppabitch and gloss mentioned, fuck with different structures as well and are the kings of that shit in mainstream rap, if you don't count dudes like El-P or dem anticon g'z.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

^^^ Yeah, agreed re: outkast. I'm getting lost in the myopic focus of a needlessly particular thing, which probably is a bad example to begin with.

:cheers:

DLG

Post by DLG »

after listening to the album a shit load of times very closely walking to work and at the gym for a couple days, I pretty much agree with what alaska said, the album falls off for me quite considerably after "Runaway."

ric

Post by ric »

gotta count el p, at least for Ill Sleep When Youre Dead. havent heard the megamixxx stuff. im a little :owens: about that

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

CDQ/No DJ of "That's My Bitch"

http://usershare.net/l8y5b7mc2z31

Apathwhy

Post by Apathwhy »

DLG wrote:That instrumental build up into the chanting at the end of B.O.B. is one of the greatest musical moments ever for me.
cosigned. when the choir comes in. OMMFG

Apathwhy

Post by Apathwhy »

I love big boi, roots, and roc marciano, but.

this is ALBUM OF THE YEAR. DAMN. WOW.

Hell of a Life is insane. ya'll crazy.

Nav

Post by Nav »

Apathwhy wrote:
DLG wrote:That instrumental build up into the chanting at the end of B.O.B. is one of the greatest musical moments ever for me.
cosigned. when the choir comes in. OMMFG
B.O.B. is my personal top10 beat ever.

"That's my bitch" is fucking crazy. Q-Tip brough banging back. Beat of the year poll needed.

"Q-Tip is also involved in the production of the Kanye West - Jay-Z forthcoming album, Watch the Throne". :cheers:

DLG: Comparing this to Thriller/The white album/Illmatic is just dumb. And so is 10/10. That being said this is still one of the best albums of the last n years, especially production wise.

Which Jellyfish album is the best ?

Also it's funny as it seems that almost every person has another song as their favourite. Poll #2.
Resolved Question
Does Biggie Smalls hate HipHop???

"Shoulda been a cop, Fukc Hiphop"

I've been wondering what he meant by this.
Additional Details
Rap sucks, HipHop is better

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
Naw, he likes hip hop and rap. He was just referring to if he hadn't started rapping he would've been a cop.
So he's cursing it, not that he doesn't like it, just for the sake of it.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Apathwhy wrote:
That Black Sabbath gimmick was corny as fuck to me though on the hook. The beat I could tolerate but the hook destroys the song for me.

DLG

Post by DLG »

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

pradadon wrote:
Apathwhy wrote:
That Black Sabbath gimmick was corny as fuck to me though on the hook. The beat I could tolerate but the hook destroys the song for me.
I totally feel you on that. It's not enough to ruin the rest of the song for me, but it is highly annoying.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Machiventa

Post by Machiventa »

step one wrote:
Philaflava wrote:The album is dope. I'm playing this more than any other release these past months, yet I struggle to accept Kanye as an emcee. Why?
could be down to the way he elongates the final word in each sentence and has a really awkward flow.
That's my main problem with this album. It's fucking atrocious on Dark Fantasy with that toooooooys/noooiiiiose part. And the intro is one the most annoying things I've ever heard in my life and I would find myself embarrassed if someone heard me listening to it.

All you guys loving this album like little girls do beiber songs really shows how gay you all are. :lol:

jokes

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Brougham33 wrote:http://www.usmagazine.com/moviestvmusic ... m-20102211
Us: Kanye West is similar to you in that he's the producer everybody wants to work with in the last decade....

QJ: How man? No way. Did he write for a symphony orchestra? Does he write for a jazz orchestra? Come on, man. He's just a rapper. There's no comparison. I'm not putting him down or making a judgement or anything, but we come from two different sides of the planet. I spent 28 years learning my first skill. I don't rap. It's not the same thing. A producer has to have some sort of skills that enable him to be a producer. It's totally different to know what to do with 16 woodwinds you know from piccolos down to bass clarinet. It's a whole different mindset. No comparison. None.

Us: What do you think of him?

QJ: I don't think about him much. He's a great rapper, but there are a lot of good rappers.
Fuck chopping samples, I got 16 woodwinds.
This shit is funny. Honestly it can be said about just about any hip-hop producer though...however it is funnier because it's pointed at Kanye.

Truth.

Post by Truth. »

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KQNsnlj6aW0?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KQNsnlj6aW0?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

christopher walken

Post by christopher walken »

I am ghey for Pusha T's verse on "Runaway". That is all...

vinylpops

Post by vinylpops »

As anyone with a pulse and an Internet connection will tell you, we are in the midst of the Yeezyocalypse. Today is the dawn of Armageddon and already My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy has received more critical fellating than any record since Kid A dropped a decade ago. My feeble voice of dissent in this whole spectacle will be akin to shouting into a hurricane. Iג€™m content with that.

Based on the acclaim heaped upon this 68-minute behemoth, one could hardly be faulted for thinking that weג€™ve been blessed with a Whatג€™s Going On for our era, a landmark artistic achievement that will become more cherished and timeless with each passing year. Debating the albumג€™s importance, even on its date of release, is an exercise in folly; the pundits and tastemakers have covered that ground for us already. What matters is the emotional resonance that exists between MBDTF and you, the listener. For me, that connection is about as intimate as an undiscovered life form in another galaxy.

Not that any of this should come as a shocking revelation. Kanye Westג€™s music lost all relevance to me years ago. I tolerated him in the past because I felt his shortcomings as a musician were compensated by his candor as a human being. As a rapper, his lyricism (Iג€™m being generous here) was clunky and awkward at best, but you could forgive his flat punchlines and pedestrian rhyme schemes because he was clearly having a good time and seemed to genuinely believe in what he was doing. But somewhere around Graduation I jumped ship, and didnג€™t even bother to rubberneck past the electro-plop train wreck that was 808s. Like most listeners, I have to relate to an artist at some level in order to appreciate and enjoy their work and it generally starts with likability, which Mr. West lost somewhere around the time that Rolling Stone cover hit the newsstands. Now I regard him as little more than a media whore, an attention-grabbing blowhard devoid of reason, taste, or modesty.

Look, I renounced my faith in hip hop years ago, so Iג€™ll spare you some weak-assed attempt at placing MBDTF within its context, or even that of contemporary pop musicג€™s. My ears may not be as sharp as they were ten years ago but they can still recognize a forward-thinking envelope-pusher when they hear one, and Iג€™m here to tell you that this ainג€™t one of them. Kanye West isnג€™t breaking the mold of the Assembly-Line Pop Artist here. Heג€™s not spearheading a musical revolution. Grandiose does not equal groundbreaking (see: Arcade Fire, The). Itג€™s critical as experienced listeners that we recognize the distinction between the two. (You want a taste of the future? Itג€™s called Nuclear Evolution: The Age of Love and it was released last year by Sa-Ra Creative Partners. Only about six people bothered to give it a listen.) Scores of bands and artists have raised the bar for pop music in the past half-century but theyג€™ve done it with style, class, and intelligence. I hear exactly zero of those characteristics in this record.

MBDTF is an exhausting experience, one of those headaches that begins throbbing behind your retinas and eventually extends to the base of your skull. There is no subtlety to it; from its introductory moments, itג€™s a full-on sonic assault for over an hour. Everything is maximized to battering-ram intensity. Somewhere around ג€œPowerג€ the ear canal eventually succumbs to the aural gang-rape and begins to discern its ugly, contemptible features through the layers of digital distortion: auto-tuned abortions (ג€œHell of a Life,ג€ ג€œLost in the Worldג€), tasteless tip-of-the-hats to ג€œdouchebagsג€ and ג€œassholesג€ (ג€œRunawayג€), bizarre altered-universe appearances from RZA-as-mongoloid (ג€œSo Appalledג€) and an irritating mid-pass-filter-Raekwon (ג€œGorgeousג€), numerous song lengths that expire three to four minutes past their sell-by dates, and piano etudes that sound like they were penned by an eight-year-old (ג€œAll of the Lightsג€). Itג€™s a mess, a kaleidoscopic nightmare overflowing with too much of everything and steered off the edge of the cliff by Kanyeג€™s unchecked ego, misguided ambition, and limitless resources.

Kanye West and his music perfectly encapsulate everything that is fundamentally wrong with pop music and pop culture right now. Itג€™s the reason why I occasionally gnash my teeth in my sleep, why I refuse to watch television anymore, and why my gaze never strays from my shopping cart when Iג€™m standing in the checkout line at the market. Itג€™s unwarranted and self-made celebrity; itג€™s endless, narcissistic self-isolation on a Facebook page. Its bloated, glitzy splendor is the equivalent of a gated subdivision full of vacant McMansions. Itג€™s everything Iג€™m trying to eliminate from my life in 2010: unnecessary noise and excess.
:rofl:

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

ardamus wrote:just heard that Chain Heavy w/Talib Kweli and Consequence. Q-Tip on the beat. that shit should've been on the album.
I dont know if it wouldve fit on the album per se, but this shit is dope as hell minus Consequence. Just wasnt feeling him using "chain" every other line...worked on "Gone" but not as much here.

Anyway, "Chain Heavy" is dope and its a shame it wasnt added as a bonus track or something.

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Post by GM Dizzy Skillespie »

vinylpops wrote:
As anyone with a pulse and an Internet connection will tell you, we are in the midst of the Yeezyocalypse. Today is the dawn of Armageddon and already My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy has received more critical fellating than any record since Kid A dropped a decade ago. My feeble voice of dissent in this whole spectacle will be akin to shouting into a hurricane. Iג€™m content with that.

Based on the acclaim heaped upon this 68-minute behemoth, one could hardly be faulted for thinking that weג€™ve been blessed with a Whatג€™s Going On for our era, a landmark artistic achievement that will become more cherished and timeless with each passing year. Debating the albumג€™s importance, even on its date of release, is an exercise in folly; the pundits and tastemakers have covered that ground for us already. What matters is the emotional resonance that exists between MBDTF and you, the listener. For me, that connection is about as intimate as an undiscovered life form in another galaxy.

Not that any of this should come as a shocking revelation. Kanye Westג€™s music lost all relevance to me years ago. I tolerated him in the past because I felt his shortcomings as a musician were compensated by his candor as a human being. As a rapper, his lyricism (Iג€™m being generous here) was clunky and awkward at best, but you could forgive his flat punchlines and pedestrian rhyme schemes because he was clearly having a good time and seemed to genuinely believe in what he was doing. But somewhere around Graduation I jumped ship, and didnג€™t even bother to rubberneck past the electro-plop train wreck that was 808s. Like most listeners, I have to relate to an artist at some level in order to appreciate and enjoy their work and it generally starts with likability, which Mr. West lost somewhere around the time that Rolling Stone cover hit the newsstands. Now I regard him as little more than a media whore, an attention-grabbing blowhard devoid of reason, taste, or modesty.

Look, I renounced my faith in hip hop years ago, so Iג€™ll spare you some weak-assed attempt at placing MBDTF within its context, or even that of contemporary pop musicג€™s. My ears may not be as sharp as they were ten years ago but they can still recognize a forward-thinking envelope-pusher when they hear one, and Iג€™m here to tell you that this ainג€™t one of them. Kanye West isnג€™t breaking the mold of the Assembly-Line Pop Artist here. Heג€™s not spearheading a musical revolution. Grandiose does not equal groundbreaking (see: Arcade Fire, The). Itג€™s critical as experienced listeners that we recognize the distinction between the two. (You want a taste of the future? Itג€™s called Nuclear Evolution: The Age of Love and it was released last year by Sa-Ra Creative Partners. Only about six people bothered to give it a listen.) Scores of bands and artists have raised the bar for pop music in the past half-century but theyג€™ve done it with style, class, and intelligence. I hear exactly zero of those characteristics in this record.

MBDTF is an exhausting experience, one of those headaches that begins throbbing behind your retinas and eventually extends to the base of your skull. There is no subtlety to it; from its introductory moments, itג€™s a full-on sonic assault for over an hour. Everything is maximized to battering-ram intensity. Somewhere around ג€œPowerג€ the ear canal eventually succumbs to the aural gang-rape and begins to discern its ugly, contemptible features through the layers of digital distortion: auto-tuned abortions (ג€œHell of a Life,ג€ ג€œLost in the Worldג€), tasteless tip-of-the-hats to ג€œdouchebagsג€ and ג€œassholesג€ (ג€œRunawayג€), bizarre altered-universe appearances from RZA-as-mongoloid (ג€œSo Appalledג€) and an irritating mid-pass-filter-Raekwon (ג€œGorgeousג€), numerous song lengths that expire three to four minutes past their sell-by dates, and piano etudes that sound like they were penned by an eight-year-old (ג€œAll of the Lightsג€). Itג€™s a mess, a kaleidoscopic nightmare overflowing with too much of everything and steered off the edge of the cliff by Kanyeג€™s unchecked ego, misguided ambition, and limitless resources.

Kanye West and his music perfectly encapsulate everything that is fundamentally wrong with pop music and pop culture right now. Itג€™s the reason why I occasionally gnash my teeth in my sleep, why I refuse to watch television anymore, and why my gaze never strays from my shopping cart when Iג€™m standing in the checkout line at the market. Itג€™s unwarranted and self-made celebrity; itג€™s endless, narcissistic self-isolation on a Facebook page. Its bloated, glitzy splendor is the equivalent of a gated subdivision full of vacant McMansions. Itג€™s everything Iג€™m trying to eliminate from my life in 2010: unnecessary noise and excess.
who wrote this?

starks

Post by starks »

all i know is that was salty as hell and sa-ra blows dick

vinylpops

Post by vinylpops »

GM Dizzy Skillespie wrote:
vinylpops wrote:

who wrote this?
One of the guys from Passion of the Weiss. Don't think it was Jeff.

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

it took 14 pages before the backlash I am surprised....

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

I'm not reading through 14 pages, but has Devil in a New Dress been mentioned as the best song of the year? Album is incredible, but this song is on another level.

omen1

Post by omen1 »

kanyeeeee

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

Not sure if I posted in this thread yet but this album is good. Not sure if it's one of the best albums, but definitely one of the better ones. Production is great for the most part and Kanye is better or as good as he's ever been. Album is kind of inconsistent to me. Album really drops off towards the end for me. I don't really like the last 3 tracks, outro , All of the lights (plus it's interlude) or Monster that much. All the other tracks are dope though. Can't help but think that the album would have been better if I didn't watch the Runaway video or checked for the Good Friday tracks. Also because tracks like The Joy were obviously better than most of the album and I also would have liked it if Power somehow incorporated some of the elements of the remix including when the beat transitions into the piano.

EDIT: What's the story behind this sounding exactly like So Appalled but coming months before?

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QqW9EUp8OVQ?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QqW9EUp8OVQ?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

So if this came out months before how did he reference the TSA debacle that started a couple weeks ago? Is his name Marty?

Thun

Post by Thun »

vinylpops wrote:
vinylpops wrote:

who wrote this?
It's a really poorly written, hysterical review. Did you quote because you agree with it?

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:I'm not reading through 14 pages, but has Devil in a New Dress been mentioned as the best song of the year? Album is incredible, but this song is on another level.
honestly, I think Dark Fantasy, All of the Lights, and Power Remix (I know it's not on the album but it's one of the best rap songs I've heard this year) are better.

The Frankest

Post by The Frankest »

So Appalled is an old song, a snippet's been out for well over a year. Btw, I'm working on a remix, an improvement to this new version.... No more Swizz Beats, some improvements to the beat and also more of the RZA :wutang: Gonna be ill, putting it up on TR136 next month so be on the fucking lookout.

Still punishing dude for changing plans without saying, so I'm not fucking with the album on principle.... But skimming through it, Dark Fantasy (the intro) did match the early hype. The whole album on that sharp tip and more Premo, Pete Rock and Q-Tip as a Kanye homage to the boom bap era? I'm pouring out liquor over here.... shouts to Power, Gorgeous and Devil In A New Dress though. Other than that, guess I could go back next year and see what I missed.

vinylpops

Post by vinylpops »

Thun wrote:
vinylpops wrote:
vinylpops wrote:

who wrote this?
It's a really poorly written, hysterical review. Did you quote because you agree with it?
What isn't poorly written on blogs? Blogs are published first drafts.

Does a ROFLburger mean you agree with something now? I thought it was hilarious.

It's pretty obvious he is one of those that gets disgusted with positive mob mentality reviews and praise for an album and has to take his disagreements to another level with cynical comedy writing. Shit is :roll:, but at least he had some good one liners.