The Retro kids

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

The Retro kids

Post by Blockhead »

Hmm...
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q2hn4pnrOO8?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q2hn4pnrOO8?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I'm gonna just keep my mouth shut on this one but Im curious. Thoughts?

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Points for being thorough. Kinda just wish Juelz Santana rapped on this instead of these aspiring actors/performance artists/models/blow jobbers.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

So, bringing back the 80s went out of style in about what.....a few years. I'm wondering how long these trends of bringing back the 90s thing will last. They can rap though......
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Thun

Post by Thun »

Who is this supposed to appeal to, exactly? I would think that the Twin Hype blasting, cavaricci-clad, Iroc-Z driving Staten Island club hoppers of 1990 are probably paunchy Frank Sinatra fans by now.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Thun wrote:Who is this supposed to appeal to, exactly? I would think that the Twin Hype blasting, cavaricci-clad, Iroc-Z driving Staten Island club hoppers of 1990 are probably paunchy Frank Sinatra fans by now.
Yeah. My thoughts exactly. I used to see these guys walking around the village blasting Cool C out of a boom box. I was impressed with their dedication to the look but it seems a touch contrived. A BIG TOUCH.

Thun

Post by Thun »

backpackers: are you happy now?

truthaddict

Post by truthaddict »

What did I just watch?

zombie

Post by zombie »

lol. Blockhead likes this.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

zombie wrote:lol. Blockhead likes this.
:larry:

Thun

Post by Thun »

This video looks like a bunch of niggas tried to go to the Land Of The Lost but took a wrong turn and wound up inside Parker Lewis's trapper keeper.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

These dudes were all over SOHO a couple of years back. I work by Broadway and Houston and they would literally be outside every single day all dipped in 80's gear and flattops. A couple of them were cool, but I always felt like they just tried wayyy to hard for their own good. Like some of them were like 19 in 2007, which means there were like born in 1987, thus never had a clue as to what was really going on in the 80's. I tried to sell one of them my old Notre Dame Starter with the the mascot on the back, but he kept fronting on the price. I got $250 on ebay. lol

Thun

Post by Thun »

Maybe they're all the result of BDK-groupie one-night skeezes?

Solo45

Post by Solo45 »

Retro Kidz... New Era... :killacam:

Thun

Post by Thun »

These guys are higher on the social evolutionary scale than FOB AZN b-boys stuck in 1982 though, right?

Rob Sonic

Post by Rob Sonic »

OH GOD DAMNIT!
NICE CAT!

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

We need to take bets on how long this will last. They'll switch to the darker side of the 90s in no time. With the Timbs, crazy looking locks, chewsticks, and army jackets within next few years. Keeping it retro.

And if it goes back to the 90s, we'll see the re-occuring trend of nuccas getting robbed for their Starter coats. I'm waiting for them to do a video with the overalls and one strap look.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Digs Darklighter

Post by Digs Darklighter »

good grief

maclethal

Post by maclethal »

This is a couple years old. Initially, this started popping up on MTV2 almost EXACTLY around the time The Cool Kids started to bubble. I'd say 2007-2008 or so? When allllllll the magazines were on The Cool Kids nuts, when they were on tour with M.I.A. etc.

My guess was some 32 year old gay and/or Jewish A&R convinced the label that 1991 throwback vintage party rap was going to be the next big thing, and that throwing major label money behind it was necessary by all means.

Maybe trying to steal The Cool Kids success before it even happened?

Either way. The rest kinda unfolded how it... unfolded. Obviously the A&R got fired, and no one won.
A tuna that smells like pussy is better than a pussy that smells like tuna. -Anonymous

dubs

Post by dubs »

pradadon wrote:These dudes were all over SOHO a couple of years back. I work by Broadway and Houston and they would literally be outside every single day all dipped in 80's gear and flattops. A couple of them were cool, but I always felt like they just tried wayyy to hard for their own good. Like some of them were like 19 in 2007, which means there were like born in 1987, thus never had a clue as to what was really going on in the 80's. I tried to sell one of them my old Notre Dame Starter with the the mascot on the back, but he kept fronting on the price. I got $250 on ebay. lol
Employee wrote:dubs being the West Coast's ric, his thug is bonafide and justified.

Rob Sonic

Post by Rob Sonic »

What idiot dropped the ball here and had the Kids dress up like like D-Nice and not Turbo B?
NICE CAT!

zombie

Post by zombie »

dubs wrote:
pradadon wrote:These dudes were all over SOHO a couple of years back. I work by Broadway and Houston and they would literally be outside every single day all dipped in 80's gear and flattops. A couple of them were cool, but I always felt like they just tried wayyy to hard for their own good. Like some of them were like 19 in 2007, which means there were like born in 1987, thus never had a clue as to what was really going on in the 80's. I tried to sell one of them my old Notre Dame Starter with the the mascot on the back, but he kept fronting on the price. I got $250 on ebay. lol
:rofl:

truthaddict

Post by truthaddict »

Yall are just too old to get it. This is whats real in the streets right now yo. Get with the program.

zombie

Post by zombie »

Isn't that the main dude from Tiger Army