Which group had the most influence on hip-hop music?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Which group had the most influence on hip-hop music?

U.G.K.
6%
De La Soul
26%
Mobb Deep
11%
OutKast
26%
Company Flow
5%
Ultramagnetic MC's
19%
Organized Konfusion
2%
Eightball & MJG
No votes
Diplomats
5%
The LOX
1%

Total votes: 101

Hair of the Dog

Post by Hair of the Dog »

The Afronaut wrote:
DJ Primate wrote:
dilla7 wrote:im suprised epmd is not on the list
This isn't about the most influential group of all time.

It's the most influential group on the list.

Reading!
Fine. Since everybody seems to know who the most influential group of all time is...who is it? Just so we can get that out of the way...
La Coka Nostra

Thun

Post by Thun »

Versive wrote:
Thun wrote:I'm not really seeing how De La's influence is so great, though. Beyond a very narrow swath of the current underground, who did they influence? Tribe was way more influential.
Personally I hear a lot of De La's sound(s) in the music of Kanye West, The Roots, Common, Mos Def, Camp Lo, Doom, Del, Aceyalone, so many artists...
Ehhhhhhhhhh, there's a back and forth influence with all of them...

artMajor

Post by artMajor »

verted kast

Versive

Post by Versive »

Philaflava wrote:Ultra influenced OK and De La. They also influenced 99.9% of the most underground hip-hop, including Co Flow.
Agreed, but I think that when you look at the current hip-hop landscape (I know, I sound like an asshole), the elements of De La and Outkast's styles that are mostly their own respective creations are more prevalent than the elements of their styles that were directly influenced by Ultramagnetic.

If you took this same poll like 8 years ago when Diplomats were the biggest group out and Def Jux was running the independent rap scene, I would've voted Ultra without a moment's hesitation (assuming, of course, that I knew what I was talking about back then).

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

The Afronaut wrote:Since everybody seems to know who the most influential group of all time is...who is it? Just so we can get that out of the way...

The Firm

dubs

Post by dubs »

I think Junior M.A.F.I.A is not getting enough credit for their influence on hip hop, IMO honestly though, right?
Employee wrote:dubs being the West Coast's ric, his thug is bonafide and justified.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

this question can easily be answered via mathematical facts aka statistics:

U.G.K. 3% multis
De La Soul 4% multis
Mobb Deep 3% multis
OutKast 6% multis
Company Flow 45% multis
Ultramagnetic MC's 2% multis
Organized Konfusion 8% multis
Eightball & MJG 3% multis
Diplomats 55% multis
The LOX 40% multis

Your answer, my dear sirs, is The Diplomats.
Nets 2022

stems

Post by stems »

So what's the consensus on Public Enemy?

step one

Post by step one »

stems wrote:So what's the consensus on Public Enemy?
one of the most important easily but not the most influential. no ones ever really managed to duplicate their style/content. its easier for rappers to adopt elements of ATCQ/Jay Z/Kool G Rap than it is for them to try and mimic Chuck D.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

ObeseJesus

Post by ObeseJesus »

Kast

Versive

Post by Versive »

step one wrote:
stems wrote:So what's the consensus on Public Enemy?
one of the most important easily but not the most influential. no ones ever really managed to duplicate their style/content. its easier for rappers to adopt elements of ATCQ/Jay Z/Kool G Rap than it is for them to try and mimic Chuck D.
As far as rapping goes I agree, however, the Bombsquad's production style has been emulated time and time again by everyone from El-P to Kanye. They're highly influential.

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

clark bent wrote:i feel like people are making incredible reaches just to keep a thread going

i dont think anyone on this list was overly influential

im as dinosaur as they come and would love to pick ultramag but they are such a trendy golden age pick when it comes to influence but i they are so overrated

if i had to pick someone from this list it would be company flow who i dont really care for but jesus they had a pretty big say over the indy scene that would follow them
I might be wrong so correct me if I am, but I could honestly say that Company Flow fall under the Ultramagnetic Branch, so wouldn't that make them more influential or does it just go to who was the direct influence?

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

The LOX
"I spit that thug shit nigga, MOTHERFUCK singing"

MF ZACK

Post by MF ZACK »

couldn't chose between UMC or De La Soul...so I just went with De La Soul

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

Employfree wrote:
Huldrich Bullsh!t wrote:funny that many people here say De La were heavily influenced by Ultra or wouldnt exist without ultra.

Kool Keith said in an interview he doenst like De La
and i think more of the influence came directly from the JBs.
without taking anything away from Ultramagnetics early greatness
How does Keith's dislike of De La negate Ultramag's influence on De La?
it doesnt necesarilly negate it. nor did i state that.
in the kool keith interview he gave he said they were taking it too far away from real rap. so in his mind they weren't influenced by Ultra, or at least not significantly. again this is only keiths opinion. still i found it funny

Thun

Post by Thun »

Huldrich Bullsh!t wrote:
Employfree wrote:
Huldrich Bullsh!t wrote:funny that many people here say De La were heavily influenced by Ultra or wouldnt exist without ultra.

in the kool keith interview he gave he said they were taking it too far away from real rap. so in his mind they weren't influenced by Ultra, or at least not significantly. again this is only keiths opinion. still i found it funny
In a Source interview in 1994 he was asked about his thoughts about De La and he said he liked their music and considered them to be a group that was influenced by Ultra.

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

Thun wrote:
Huldrich Bullsh!t wrote:
Employfree wrote:

In a Source interview in 1994 he was asked about his thoughts about De La and he said he liked their music and considered them to be a group that was influenced by Ultra.
i was looking for that interview and didnt find it. maybe i was confusing things although im still pretty sure that i didnt.
Keith surely is a weird person so its not unlikely he said that shit in the interview just to fuck around. i was definitely :naswtf: when i read it especially because of the reason he gave. that they were too leftfield for him