DJ Premier Speaks on Issues with Canibus on Live From HQ

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Wicked
Location: Bay Area, CA >www.MHzRadio.com< >mixcrate.com/wicked< >wicked22@aol.com<

Post by Wicked »

BusinessMan wrote:Man, some people are acting like Primo was giving this beat away for free and Canibus refused, he was charging 40G's!

Let me guess, those of you complaining about Canibus decision also nod out listening to your $300 subpar Dr. Dre Beats headphones while wearing your I heart NY shirt?
Actually, it was half up front and the other half when everything is complete so the beat would have actually cost $80k.

And that's hilarious what you said about those Beats by Dr. Dre headphones. hahaha Those things are a piece of shit for the amount of money spent. For $300, I could get headphones 10x better, but of course, all thses little name brand figgits wanna feel cool with their Beats by Dr. Dre headphones. I laugh at every clown I see with those.
"Wicked = Genuinely loves Hiphop and respects it because he grew up during the time when it wasn't full of southern mongoloids and Lil Wayne rappers. From his mixes you can tell he knows his shit. The problem is, when you are a smart dude preaching to a bunch of fucking morons, you end up getting singled out as the douche."

BusinessMan

Post by BusinessMan »

Wicked wrote:
BusinessMan wrote:Man, some people are acting like Primo was giving this beat away for free and Canibus refused, he was charging 40G's!

Let me guess, those of you complaining about Canibus decision also nod out listening to your $300 subpar Dr. Dre Beats headphones while wearing your I heart NY shirt?
Actually, it was half up front and the other half when everything is complete so the beat would have actually cost $80k.

And that's hilarious what you said about those Beats by Dr. Dre headphones. hahaha Those things are a piece of shit for the amount of money spent. For $300, I could get headphones 10x better, but of course, all thses little name brand figgits wanna feel cool with their Beats by Dr. Dre headphones. I laugh at every clown I see with those.
$80k, ouch.. Dudes gotta put this in prespective, that's the same price Premo was charging Aaliyah, meaning that's what a premo beat was worth to her at that point in her career. I would love to hear someone try to justify the same costs for a Canibus track :lol:

and yea, the Dr. Dre Beats are terrible headphones for that price.. But they look cool right? Right?
Get Money Bitch!

Wicked
Location: Bay Area, CA >www.MHzRadio.com< >mixcrate.com/wicked< >wicked22@aol.com<

Post by Wicked »

BusinessMan wrote:$80k, ouch.. Dudes gotta put this in prespective, that's the same price Premo was charging Aaliyah, meaning that's what a premo beat was worth to her at that point in her career. I would love to hear someone try to justify the same costs for a Canibus track :lol:

and yea, the Dr. Dre Beats are terrible headphones for that price.. But they look cool right? Right?
haha Yeah man, as long as they look cool!!! hahahaha *shaking head*

And shit, if I'm payin for ANYTHING, I'm gonna want it my way or no thanks... Especially if I have an album budget and I'm droppin $80k on ONE beat. Sure, it's gonna be a certified banger cuz it's Primo, but still.

I will say though, looking back now, having that one Primo banger wouldn't have made much of a difference anyways. I mean, the album is cool and has some dope joints I like a lot, but overall it was a big disappointment. And if he spent that $ on the Primo beat, his album might have been worse cuz he would have had less money to pay other producers. Who knows. haha

Whatever the case, this whole Canibus vs. DJ Premier thing is lame and should be done with already. The finger needs to be pointed more in the direction of the bloggers who make it seem like it's more then it really is with their crazy headlines. Cats like Gim @ djpremierblog.com originally posted that Vlad TV clip properly... His headline was simply "DJ Premier Speaks On Disagreement With Canibus" cuz that's really all it was... Preem thought the beat he made was perfect for Canibus and Canibus didn't agree to they ended up not doing a song together. That's it.
Last edited by Wicked on Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Wicked = Genuinely loves Hiphop and respects it because he grew up during the time when it wasn't full of southern mongoloids and Lil Wayne rappers. From his mixes you can tell he knows his shit. The problem is, when you are a smart dude preaching to a bunch of fucking morons, you end up getting singled out as the douche."

Thun

Post by Thun »

Didn't Canibus's first single go gold? They were banking on the album selling. They gave him a budget large enough to purchase at least a few top of the line beats. I could personally care less whether or not Canibus liked the Primo beat or thought it worthy of 80k, but in retrospect, from our point of view, an investment in a Primo beat might have paid off in the long run, because that song would probably still be generating interest. As it is, nobody gives a fuck about anything on Canibus's first LP and it is his best work.

But maybe I'm just brain damaged because I sold my house to buy a warehouse full of Beats By Dre headphones.

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

BusinessMan wrote:
Wicked wrote:

$80k, ouch.. Dudes gotta put this in prespective, that's the same price Premo was charging Aaliyah, meaning that's what a premo beat was worth to her at that point in her career. I would love to hear someone try to justify the same costs for a Canibus track :lol:

Speaking for myself, I just think Canibus is an idiot to get so heated about what Premier said. And to record a diss song is just idiotic. And then to tack that irrelevant rant on the end about something wholly unconnected to the issue of hand, smacks of mental illness.

As far as people's reactions, I think it is more about Canibus having a legacy of poor beat selection. When you have a legacy like that, and people find out you turned down a beat that went on to become a legendary song...they are going to clown. It's the same reason Portland got clowned for picking Sam Bowie over Jordan, even if the choice made some type of sense at the time, in retrospect it looks like a blunder of epic proportions.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

Wicked

Post by Wicked »

Thun wrote:an investment in a Primo beat might have paid off in the long run, because that song would probably still be generating interest. As it is, nobody gives a fuck about anything on Canibus's first LP and it is his best work.
Maybe? But at the same time, all people would do is download the damn song for free somewhere anyways. Do you really think all kinds of people would be running out to hunt down the first Canibus LP/CD or even that 12" single (if it became one)? hahaha Nope.

And for the record, I still spin shit from the first Canibus album... "Get Retarded" (Prod. by Salaam Remi), "How We Roll" (Prod. by Clark Kent), "What's Going On", "Second Round KO", and "Niggonometry". That's 5 songs which is still cool...

Thun

Post by Thun »

I can't hear you, I'm listening to commercial rap on Beats By Dre headphones.

still illiterate

Post by still illiterate »

So I'm the only guy not digging the Devils Pie beat?

Wicked

Post by Wicked »

still illiterate wrote:So I'm the only guy not digging the Devils Pie beat?
Probably. I personally have always enjoyed that beat/song.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Possibly.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

i think canibus' album with stoupe is on par with his first if not better, especially if you can get past his even more blatant yet unjustified ego

but i'm a whore for music. stoupe drove that album.
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5kGAifrFalg?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5kGAifrFalg?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/b5x5QDu5RZs?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/b5x5QDu5RZs?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/IylmUguS9Ns?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/IylmUguS9Ns?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ymiarqotiP4?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ymiarqotiP4?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

yes, emcee-wise, this song is so fucking self-indulgent it's kinda disgusting, but if you can listen to canibus in the vein you might listen to a lil b, i think this song works on that level and mystical/ethereal/free mason illuminati vibe and braggadocio vibe

and the real truth is, this three beats in one beat is one of the great rap music masterpieces.

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/8iUWGhnqBxM?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8iUWGhnqBxM?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>
Nets 2022

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

Wicked wrote:
Probably. I personally have always enjoyed that beat/song.
great song.
i'm glad d'angelo was the one who ended up with that beat.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Devil's Pie beat, lyrics, vocals are perfect. It might be literally impossible to improve upon it.
Last edited by Thun on Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

^^^agreed with thun.
i just went and peeped it again (been a while) after reading this thread.
song is the shit.

Wicked

Post by Wicked »

sean wrote:i just went and peeped it again (been a while) after reading this thread.
song is the shit.
Yup! I spin that 12" when I'm spinnin out in Bars & Lounges all the time... Or if I'm spinnin @ a Club, I'll spin it if I'm the opening DJ.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Thun wrote:Devil's Pie beat, lyrics, vocals are perfect. It might be literally impossible to improve upon it.
agreed.

to add: d'angelo's singing on this jawn is nearly impossible to mimic well, he's got so much godamned free-flowing soul in his inflections
Nets 2022

still illiterate

Post by still illiterate »

I still check for Canibus, I think he's a great MC, but it's pretty clear he's a paranoid guy. He literally thinks that people conspire against him. Back when it was LL blacklisting him, people thought there may have been validity to it, but at this point, I think he has broken from reality to a degree. not unMindbender-like.