Do u support or soak up anything these days

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

blessingindisguise

Do u support or soak up anything these days

Post by blessingindisguise »

Look, We all know folks here are particular and jaded. I can't front So am I. When a song is posted peeps ravage and critique the hell out of it.

We seen alot come in the game and a whole lot go with little to no success. We also seen folks keep track of progress and give props where props do. But with so many folks spitting/producing i was wondering does anybody support anymore? Anybody give a download or cop a song off itunes/bandcamp?

Anybody Let albums/mixtapes soak in or just dispose of them after a listen or so?

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

I've bought more albums digital or physical already this year than I did all of last year.

As for soaking in an album...I rarely do that anymore. I think it's the digital age. Back when I had a cd player that i'd carry every where with me, i'd pretty much listen to an entire album and pay attention to it. Now we all have ipods filled with 30+gigs....We all pretty much just quickly skim through a project and take one or two songs from an album and most of the time never listen to the project in it's entirety again.
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thun

Post by Thun »

I let albums soak in if they show promise from the start. That doesn't happen often, though. However, I have been showing a lot more support for "best of" compilations of certain artists.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I'm terrible about this. If it's a new artist, I listen to the first verse of the first few songs. If they show promise, I got through the album looking for beats I might like. Then i take those and put them on my Ipod and give them a thorough listening.
If it's an artist I know of already, I just look for the good beats right off the bat.
I can't remember the last time I sat through a whole album without skipping shit though.

Lid

Post by Lid »

right now, only dude is action bronson

Conscious
The Anti-Hater Liberator

Post by Conscious »

I download (buy) new stuff I like every month. Also tell people about artist I like and support them by sharing their info with people that would also download, purchase their material and attend events.
http://bondfireradio.com #thefutureofradio

zombie

Post by zombie »

I think over the years I've soaked less and less music, groups, etc.

I guess music is getting weaker and weaker or cornier and I don't care much for it. Plus there is too much dumb shit out right now that's diluting everything else that might have potential to be great and gets overlooked (as in, I'll overlook it).

I used to be excited for albums coming out and I haven't felt that way in a while.

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Post by GM Dizzy Skillespie »

Thun wrote:I let albums soak in if they show promise from the start. That doesn't happen often, though. However, I have been showing a lot more support for "best of" compilations of certain artists.
so you're a soccer mom?

axel foley

Post by axel foley »

Probably played the following albums 20-40 times front to back this past year:

Sir Lucious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
Bastard
Earl
K.R.I.T. Wuz Here
Returnof4eva
Trunk Muzik
Pilot Talk 1 & 2
Flockaveli

I copped the first two and would've copped Pilot Talk 2 if I found it in stores. I usually throw music on when I'm around the house. If it catches my ear, I'll rip it to CD and play it in the whip for 2-3 weeks straight. It's a combination of replay value and sheer laziness. If it's extra dope, I'll share it with whoever I think will appreciate it. If it's an indie artist, I'll try to catch them when they come through. I'm not a fan of big ass venues so I'll probably never see Kanye again unless he's playing at a festival.

Also, I come to rely on :phila: more so than blogs these days when it comes to finding new acts to check. :cheers:

zombie

Post by zombie »

How anyone can listen to wocka or wiz kalifa is totally beyond me.

You all must be listening to these dudes ironically or something.

Thun

Post by Thun »

GM Dizzy Skillespie wrote:
Thun wrote:I let albums soak in if they show promise from the start. That doesn't happen often, though. However, I have been showing a lot more support for "best of" compilations of certain artists.
so you're a soccer mom?
Are you retarded?

Thun

Post by Thun »

axel foley wrote:
Also, I come to rely on :phila: more so than blogs these days when it comes to finding new acts to check. :cheers:
For real? I love this forum and all but it's a good 6-8 months behind on most good things and jocks tons of average shit, as a whole.

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

so you're a soccer mom?
:lol:

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Escobar305 wrote:
so you're a soccer mom?
:lol:
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Thun

Post by Thun »

Someone explain the joke.

Conscious
The Anti-Hater Liberator

Post by Conscious »

zombie wrote:How anyone can listen to wocka or wiz kalifa is totally beyond me.

The first three tracks on Flockaveli are the best on the album. They're solid songs...

Thun

Post by Thun »

Conscious wrote:

The first three tracks on Flockaveli are the best on the album. They're solid songs...
:ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: / :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh: :ohsh:

Doogs

Post by Doogs »

:megaman:

i hardly check for new music, personally

:megaman:

Conscious
The Anti-Hater Liberator

Post by Conscious »

Thun wrote:
Conscious wrote:

One of the main reasons off the bat people can't stand Wocka is they don't know what he's saying... but of course that is not the only reason.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Conscious wrote:
Thun wrote:
Conscious wrote:

One of the main reasons off the bat people can't stand Wocka is they don't know what he's saying... but of course that is not the only reason.
this exchange is poty so far
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

Thun wrote:I let albums soak in if they show promise from the start.
Same here. I look for that same feeling I've always had from the day I started listen to Hip Hop of a song catching me from the first few seconds and leading me into more goodness. That's a more rare feeling nowadays.

It comes down to harder digging and filtering when dealing with this new digital era. I still listen to my favorite radio shows to put me onto something I might be missing as well as good blogs like PhilaFlava.

I was just listening to this album by Magestik Legend at bandcamp this morning, I will definitely buy this album. The main producer is up and coming and someone who I always check for if his name is associated, his name is Astronote and is from France.

http://magestiklegend.bandcamp.com/albu ... y-dj-flash
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rob Banks

New Music

Post by Rob Banks »

I rarely check for new music unless it's recommended to me. I pretty much stay in my room and listen to old Wu and Da Outsidaz.

Fury's Flavour

Post by Fury's Flavour »

I rarely buy a new album unless it comes from one of my favorite artists.

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

I really like listening to albums. I don't do the MP3 shuffle thing. I don't download much in the way of mixtapes. I am not in as much of a hurry as most people on here I guess. It's actually fun to me to try and fully absorb an artist, even if they dont end up stuck in my rotation. Last year I did that with Blu and Elucid. Right now, I have early Aceyalone and Sonic Sum on my list...which is kinda what spurred my Movements You Missed post.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

If an artist has a proven track record and/or his album is highly recommended by a trusted tastemaker, I'll give it an attentive listen.

If those conditions have not been met and I'm just somewhat intrigued by a youtube single or whatever, I'll give the album a dry run on laptop speakers. If I like three or more songs, I'll listen to the album again on headphones or in the whip.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

The last rap album I purchased was Roc Marciano. The only rap albums that came out in the past year or so that I listened to more than once were Roc Marciano, Roots, Rick Ross, Curren$y. Everything else has been garbage as far as I am concerned. Still have to listen to KRIT yet.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I don't let them soak in, but if it's really good I'll revisit it and play the hell out of the album. Like others have said, Roc Marcy is a perfect example. Usually I'll find a few tracks I really like on an album, burn them, and revisit the whole album later on.

If it's an album that everybody is talking about, I immediately ignore it. Old habits I can't shake and I rather enjoy something on my time, at my pace when I know the rest of the world isn't hyping it up.

I do support albums, not it has to really be worth it. More than likely, I'll buy an album after I've downloaded it and listened to it for weeks or months. If it was worthy of a purchase, then I'll support it.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

if the album shows promise.. i'll listen to it at least 2 times all the way through. and plenty of albums from 2011 i've listened to tons more times all the way through

maybe only 1 or 2 of them have been rap records tho

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

I listen to albums fully and appreciate and buy them as much as I ever did. If you think there's nothing worth that effort you either don't know where to look or you have really shitty taste ; )

Max B, Jarren Benton, Jacka, Chili Chil, Dro, KRIT, Trae g-Side, Currensy, Fiend, K-Rino, Pusha T, Yela, Rittz, J-Stalin, Starlito, just to name a few, have all put out quality products worthy of your full attention and money, in recent times.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

i always listen to albums in album form track 1 til the end

i have a shit ton of albums and i always let most of them soak in

and if they dont pass the soak-in listen , then ill put those ones on the back burner for a later time

i got different albums for different moods, sometimes i'll not enjoy some rap because im not in the mood, doesnt mean its not good, cause when i am in the mood for it; it'll be my favorite shit