Pharoahe Monch

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Small Pro

Post by Small Pro »

after not digging his last album and figuring i wouldnt like any p. monch solos not named "internal affairs", i gave this a listen today and was pleasantly pleased. i WAS dissapointed by the samiyam song, and some of the first couple tracks are a tad too epic sounding, but as the album progresses it settles down. m-phazes especially impressed me on the production side of things, but exile's beat. whooo.

Doogs

Post by Doogs »

Thun wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
Thun wrote:
Philaflava wrote:Everytime Thun references higher education I immediately think of Donald Trump and his incessant Wharton name drop in every interview.
Are triple digit IQs now the exclusive domain of the elite? I thought it was a pretty low bar to be honest.
It's a matter of valedictorian.
For argument's sake, I'd day everyone here smarter than .... I dunno, Smithee has at least a 101 IQ.

The main issue was bothering to listen the album more carefully than a half-interested skim on computer speakers.
:arrow:

Thun

Post by Thun »

Doogs wrote:
Thun wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
Thun wrote:
Philaflava wrote:Everytime Thun references higher education I immediately think of Donald Trump and his incessant Wharton name drop in every interview.
Are triple digit IQs now the exclusive domain of the elite? I thought it was a pretty low bar to be honest.
It's a matter of valedictorian.
For argument's sake, I'd day everyone here smarter than .... I dunno, Smithee has at least a 101 IQ.

The main issue was bothering to listen the album more carefully than a half-interested skim on computer speakers.
:arrow:
You've got to be fucking kidding me.

Haitian Jack

Post by Haitian Jack »

album is slappin pretty tuff. im trying to hear monch + alchemist tho. monch needs an album like that and alc is always making beats for cats who spit game is subpar

aeokq

Post by aeokq »

This is much better than I thought it would be to be honest. Yet it is still lacking imo, it could use a few certified bangers like someone else said earlier in the thread. But there aren't any really shitty songs, a bunch of listenable songs that may grow on me. Not that impressive but decent...which unfortunately nowadays is considered a good album. I thought 'Desire' sucked really bad and suffered from R&B soft beats, but at least that had two bangers in "Push" and and "What It Is."

Thun

Post by Thun »

Monch needs left field production to bring out his creative side. He will disappoint over traditional bangers more than likely.

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

Thun wrote:Monch needs left field production to bring out his creative side. He will disappoint over traditional bangers more than likely.
How about left-field bangers then? i.e. Black Milk's "The Matrix", which he murdered and sounded great next to Sean P. I would love to hear Monch over some El-P, Black Milk (if he was on his Tronic steez), Ratatat, the Rza, Flylo.

Not because it will be better, per se, I just want to hear a Monch album where he is focused on the rhymes and someone else creates the atmosphere. His last several projects seem very intimate, and have his fingerprints all over them. That's cool, I'm just a fan who is ready to hear Monch on some hired gun shit and hear him have a Vaudeville Villain moment.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

Thun

Post by Thun »

COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:
Thun wrote:Monch needs left field production to bring out his creative side. He will disappoint over traditional bangers more than likely.
How about left-field bangers then? i.e. Black Milk's "The Matrix", which he murdered and sounded great next to Sean P. I would love to hear Monch over some El-P, Black Milk (if he was on his Tronic steez), Ratatat, the Rza, Flylo.

Not because it will be better, per se, I just want to hear a Monch album where he is focused on the rhymes and someone else creates the atmosphere. His last several projects seem very intimate, and have his fingerprints all over them. That's cool, I'm just a fan who is ready to hear Monch on some hired gun shit and hear him have a Vaudeville Villain moment.
Word.

iCONtheMicKing

Post by iCONtheMicKing »

Some of the beats are boring or really just can't keep up with his dynamic delivery but Monch is still spitting fire on this record.

How y'all can complain about this but praise someone like Tyler...I'll never understand.
Internet Rapper - http://ipullrank.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thun

Post by Thun »

Never understand or refuse to come to terms with?

iCONtheMicKing

Post by iCONtheMicKing »

Thun wrote:Never understand or refuse to come to terms with?
Yawn. I'm guessing you're implying that I'm jealous of young bol's success. I got a 401k now I couldnt give less of a fuck. Earl can rhyme. Tyler is a hack.

Pharoahe Monch is better than everyone.
Internet Rapper - http://ipullrank.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Tyler's a hack? Even Mindbender isn't delusional enough to say that.

Thun

Post by Thun »

iCONtheMicKing wrote:
Yawn. I'm guessing you're implying that I'm jealous of young bol's success.
Actually, no. But you protest too much, now that you mention it.

iCONtheMicKing

Post by iCONtheMicKing »

Thun wrote:
iCONtheMicKing wrote:
Yawn. I'm guessing you're implying that I'm jealous of young bol's success.
Actually, no. But you protest too much, now that you mention it.
Whatever nigga. Free Earl.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Cool.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Album is $2.99 at Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/W-A-R-We-Are-Rene ... -1-catcorr

Get it. Not a perfect album but it's easily worth 3 bucks.

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

^^^ dope...copped.

Solo45

Post by Solo45 »

I like it. Not a perfect album, But you cant deny the talent. Also I think if he remade "Internal Affairs" instead of what hes doing now, People would still find something to complain about.

"Evolve" is my shit.

ric

Post by ric »

listened for the first time the other day while heading to work. shit was dope. rilly nice. i really like what pharoahes done with his later career.

Fury's Flavour

Post by Fury's Flavour »

Philaflava you know you are an idiot, don't you?

axel foley

Post by axel foley »

Thun wrote:But that's a REALLY bitchy point to harp on, because the few rappers nowadays who demonstrate genuinely mature insight on social and political issues in their lyrics are not celebrated or even acknowledged on this forum at all
mind sharing?

Thun

Post by Thun »

axel foley wrote:
Thun wrote:But that's a REALLY bitchy point to harp on, because the few rappers nowadays who demonstrate genuinely mature insight on social and political issues in their lyrics are not celebrated or even acknowledged on this forum at all
mind sharing?
Da Vinci, L'Roneous, Skip Coon, A.G., Cloudy October, $amhill, Homeboy Sandman, and Willie The Kid all fit this description to me and are mostly ignored around here. Granted, these guys aren't exactly well promoted or celebrated anywhere else, so I'm not blaming this forum.

Jasiri X, Toki Wright, and NYOIL tackle similar themes in a far less subtle manner, so their rhetoric can be heavy handed. But they are all good at rapping so some of their music is dope to me.

There are other artists like Has-Lo, Malcolm and Martin, and Curly Castro who attempt to deliver insightful lyrics on social issues, but I don't find either their politics or their music to be appealing. But others may well disagree.

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

nice to see Jasiri's name pop up on here

Thun

Post by Thun »

A Kid wrote:nice to see Jasiri's name pop up on here
Does he have an actual album out? All I've ever seen were youtube videos and the occasional mp3.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

"Let My People Go" is my joint off this album. I feel like he kinda loses it near the end of the track but his approach and execution on the song overall still my makes it my fave from W.A.R.

Hobus Maguire

Post by Hobus Maguire »

Thun wrote:
A Kid wrote:nice to see Jasiri's name pop up on here
Does he have an actual album out? All I've ever seen were youtube videos and the occasional mp3.
http://jasirix.bandcamp.com/album/american-history-x

Not sure what constitutes an "actual album" these days, but it's 12 tracks. There's some other joints on that page as well... No "Just A Minstrel" though, which is probably my favourite song from him.
The Afronaut wrote:"Let My People Go" is my joint off this album. I feel like he kinda loses it near the end of the track but his approach and execution on the song overall still my makes it my fave from W.A.R.
Yeah, that's my easily favourite track too. Gotta agree with what you said though, it definitely jumps the shark at the end where he starts telling kids to pull their pants up. :lol: