MC's/groups who should have blown up more?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

blessingindisguise

MC's/groups who should have blown up more?

Post by blessingindisguise »

ג€œit might blow up but it wont go popג€ De la soul

1. P.A. ..straight no chase and my life your entertainment were both dope albums. Somehow they always seemed one hit away from being big. It didn't help Goodie mobb ג€œstill standingג€ and Outkast's third classic album ג€œAquemeniג€ were dropped the same year from the same city taking a lot of shine.

**Recommened listening: ג€œstraight no chaseג€ and ג€œmy life your entertainmentג€

2. Dirty...Same thing with PA though in my opinion didn't have as dope production. Repping Alabama they have a solid catalouge just that one hit from capturing the Public imo.

**Recomended listening: ג€œKeep it pimp and gangstaג€ and ג€œHood storiesג€

3. Reed dollaz- was killing mixtapes like 3 years ago with heavy punches and lyricism. He was suppose to blow cause Cassidy was fading away and State property weren't popping like they were. Now the Philly focus mainly on Meek millz.

** Recommended listening: Any of his mixtapes.

4. Papooseג€”had all the skill and the content but maybe too many mixtapes. Even had a Kool g rap co-sign. Plus his deal with Jive fell through and he kept putting out mixtapes instead of saying fuck it and drop an album after getting exposure on Busta rhyme ג€œtouch itג€ remix and Jennie ortega's pop song. He was a victim of the time when snap bullshit was popular.

** Recommended listening ג€œa moment of silenceג€ and ג€œWar and peaceג€

5. Natureג€”after blazing verses on Noreaga ג€œbanned from tvג€ and the Firm platinum selling album he was suppose to blow. Not to mention a Nas co-sign. His first album was ight. Trackmasters and Lord jamar laced him but something was missing. Then the disaster Wild gremlinz dropped and people stopped caring.

** Recommended listening ג€œfor all seasonsג€

6. Cuban linxג€”ג€œ24kג€ should have been released but I heard Fat joe blackballed him after they had beef. Shame it had some bangers on there like ג€œMen of businessג€, the late great big pun tunnel banger ג€œtoe to toeג€, and touching ג€œflowers for the deadג€. Ladies were feeling him and he had a lot of exposure with Terror squad and even his song ג€œStill Telling liesג€ got some spins on rap city back in the day. What a waste.

** Recommended listening ג€œ24kג€ and ג€œChain reactionג€

7. RBX---Had he not gone against what made him have a following on "The chronic" and went in a more east coast direction on RBX files he woulda sold more units. Plus stayed on Death row records he woulda been alright. He took too long between albums. How can u get signed to Death row and Aftermath and still don't drop is beyond me.

**Recommended listening "RBX files" various guest appearances on "Chronic"

8. Juiceג€”Phila already had a post on this but it was a shame he waited so long to drop his album. After some dope 12' singles including the heartfelt ג€œSincerelyג€ and ג€œIn the trenchesג€, a verse on Binary star, and serving Eminem during Scribble jam he was poised for greatness. Still he's one of the best Chi-town MC's to come out of the windy city.

** Recommended listening ג€œ100 percent juiceג€ and ג€œtip of the icebergג€

add on

starks

Post by starks »

disagree with everyone on that list

papoose? fucking l-o-l

step one

Post by step one »

definitely some questionable names on that list but
starks wrote: papoose? fucking l-o-l
Not liking him is fair enough but you cant deny that after signing a million dollar deal with jive and getting features and co-signs all over the place he shouldve blown up.

also
blessingindisguise wrote: How can u get signed to Death row and Aftermath and still don't drop is beyond me.
Really?
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Thun

Post by Thun »

step one wrote: also
blessingindisguise wrote: How can u get signed to Death row and Aftermath and still don't drop is beyond me.
Really?
Couldn't you say the same thing about Jive?

Thun

Post by Thun »

Oh, and the Outsidaz. Lock thread.

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

every rapper in history

Dap

Post by Dap »

i agree with juice. i mean he would never have any mainstream appeal but i think he should be have been a lot bigger than he is

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Thun wrote:Outsidaz. Lock thread.

self

Post by self »

lodeck

Thun

Post by Thun »

self wrote:lodeck
No.

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

i'll second Juice...what actually happened to dude? last thing i remember was the album with the handful of cash on the cover..then some black wall street cat stole his name and that was the end of it..

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I agree with P.A.
That album was dope and it came out when the south was really killing shit. I always thought it woulda taken off on some level.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Blockhead wrote:I agree with P.A.
That album was dope and it came out when the south was really killing shit. I always thought it woulda taken off on some level.
Outkast affiliates not named Goodie Mob are not allowed to blow up.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Thun wrote:
Blockhead wrote:I agree with P.A.
Outkast affiliates not named Goodie Mob are not allowed to blow up.
Tell that to the Youngbloodz , Slimm Calhoun and...oh wait...forget it.

Rob Banks

Post by Rob Banks »

Cosign on Da Outsidaz.

How about Camp Lo- should they not be bigger?

Dirty Face Angels, Question Mark Asylum, Real Live...

self

Post by self »

Thun wrote:
self wrote:lodeck
No.
i would be the guy to mention lodeck ay... might have had a mild case of the borks
fair enough though. still though i think he was dope enough to be as big some of his contemporaries(atoms,defjux other indy rap rap) during say the early to middle 2000's

I agree with you on the outsidaz 4 sure
what happened there...

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

i think the outz just smoked alot of weed

at least that what it always seemed like..they stayed high and let their time pass them by

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Echo Leader wrote:
Thun wrote:Outsidaz. Lock thread.
I might narrow down to Young Zee, but yeah.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

I thought Ray Cash was going to get somewhat big.

Camp Lo was a good call. Ski's production alone should have made them bigger. I think people were confused by their attire, it was very rhinestone cowboy meets homothug

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

ALASKA wrote:Camp Lo was a good call. Ski's production alone should have made them bigger. I think people were confused by their attire, it was very rhinestone cowboy meets homothug
I always wished Camp Lo and Hangar 18 wouldve done a joint together. Ive always felt there were parallels between the two groups. :megaman:

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

ERULE

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

I heard that dude Juice for the first time the other night, and shit BLEW MY FUCKING MIND :ohsh:

self

Post by self »

The Afronaut wrote:
ALASKA wrote:Camp Lo was a good call. Ski's production alone should have made them bigger. I think people were confused by their attire, it was very rhinestone cowboy meets homothug
I always wished Camp Lo and Hangar 18 wouldve done a joint together. Ive always felt there were parallels between the two groups. :megaman:
THIS

The Rapping Coffin

Post by The Rapping Coffin »

Fabo.

Spaceship Man should have been a smash.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Thun wrote:Outsidaz.
yes.

and Nature, hell yes. Whatchu talkin bout Willises? dude was as nice as Nas AND AZ in his prime.

you know you gotta add AZ to the list.

word the fuck up to the person who said ERULE. that guy was a superstar long before his time.

also Self Scientific.

Saafir.

Thirstin Howell the Third.

Bubba Sparkxxx (seriously, dude could rap)

Elzhi

Tech N9ne (it's finally happening)

Twista

The Indelibles

Pharoahe Monch

Sha Stimuli (painfully slept on)

this list could go on forever
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thatkidnero

Post by thatkidnero »

step one wrote:definitely some questionable names on that list but
starks wrote: papoose? fucking l-o-l
Not liking him is fair enough but you cant deny that after signing a million dollar deal with jive and getting features and co-signs all over the place he shouldve blown up.
That's more of an example of just how wack he was/is.

I thought Field Mob were gonna get something going when they signed with Luda.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

How the FUCK E. Mackey didn't blow up off of this shit a few years back is beyond human comprehension.

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/wfIK-W99Fps?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/wfIK-W99Fps?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

If that isn't a radio smash, I don't know what is.

Also, I would have bet money that Wes Fif would be big by now. BOB snaked his ass.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Juggaknots

Me Still

Post by Me Still »

Natural Elements

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

twista went platinum & had a #1 billboard hit. how much bigger could he have gotten?

bubba sparxx also went gold & had a top 10 billboard hit