The U-God Game

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

truthaddict

Post by truthaddict »

Philaflava wrote:
DLG wrote:
Philaflava wrote: Can Ox = Vordul
can't really agree with this because they complimented each other perfectly. vordul's style on its own is too dense and subdued to be interesting for a full album and vast is too corny on his own, but together it's just enough of both styles to make it interesting for a full album.
You're prob right, but I suppose it's more a personal taste then. I will say I'm sure Vordul completely shits on Vast these days.
I would have to vote Vast off the island. Didn't someone on here make a version of Cold Vein where they cut out all the Vast verses? :lol:

truthaddict

Post by truthaddict »

Echo Leader wrote:T-Mo Goodie.
I don't think anyone is arguing this, but he is a better rapper than the strongest link in some of these other groups.

DLG

Post by DLG »

truthaddict wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
DLG wrote:
Philaflava wrote: Can Ox = Vordul
can't really agree with this because they complimented each other perfectly. vordul's style on its own is too dense and subdued to be interesting for a full album and vast is too corny on his own, but together it's just enough of both styles to make it interesting for a full album.
You're prob right, but I suppose it's more a personal taste then. I will say I'm sure Vordul completely shits on Vast these days.
I would have to vote Vast off the island. Didn't someone on here make a version of Cold Vein where they cut out all the Vast verses? :lol:
it was probably comedy. his solo albums are absolute trash, but I can't really get through a full vordul album, he doesn't keep my attention and everything just sounds way to similar to me.

they are a perfect fit together though imo, vast gives you just enough of a light-hearted, punchliney break from the noisy beats and vordul's dense, convoluted style.

truthaddict

Post by truthaddict »

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Philaflava wrote:MOP = Billy Danze
This just makes me mad...I guess Fame ended up being decent on the beats, but Danzini IS M.O.P. If you're not a big fan of Billy, I can't imagine you liking the group much.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Yeah I made the no-Vast version :myjah:

Brand Nubian - Jamar
Mob Figaz - Fed-ex
Goodie MOb - Gipp
Camp Lo - Chiba

Best I can think of is Sen Dog, dude always raps like he really needs to go to the bathroom.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

unclebengi wrote:
Philaflava wrote:MOP = Billy Danze
This just makes me mad...I guess Fame ended up being decent on the beats, but Danzini IS M.O.P. If you're not a big fan of Billy, I can't imagine you liking the group much.
I cosign this to the fullest.
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Comedy Quaddafi

Billy might be the MOP'est of the two but Fame has a much more fresh voice and is more witty.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

truthaddict

Post by truthaddict »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Yeah I made the no-Vast version :myjah:
:lol:
Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Goodie MOb - Gipp

Gipp is underrated.

Comedy Quaddafi

Was considering T-Mo, I like all of the Goodie rappers though.

Firm - Nature
- MB

iCONtheMicKing

Post by iCONtheMicKing »

The fact that this thread has not mentioned Pras and then dissed Fresh prince is absolutely laughable on 39 levels
Internet Rapper - http://ipullrank.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Psycho les is easily my favorite Beatnut. He may be the least skilled but he's the funniest by far.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Blockhead wrote:Psycho les is easily my favorite Beatnut. He may be the least skilled but he's the funniest by far.
His solo album from a few years back, Psychotherapy, had tons of hilarious lines on it. Great beats too.

However, Juju improved greatly as a rapper as the years went on. He has one of my favorite couplets of all time on Milk Me, "Don't ever try an approach in a physical manner, cuz the canon that I'm holdin ain't a digital camera."

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

Smitty wrote:
Blockhead wrote:Psycho les is easily my favorite Beatnut. He may be the least skilled but he's the funniest by far.
His solo album from a few years back, Psychotherapy, had tons of hilarious lines on it. Great beats too.

However, Juju improved greatly as a rapper as the years went on. He has one of my favorite couplets of all time on Milk Me, "Don't ever try an approach in a physical manner, cuz the canon that I'm holdin ain't a digital camera."
Those bars are ridiculously played and common. Although I would agree that JuJu is dope, but I also don't dismiss Psycho as much, cause he get down. But for proof of JuJu's above averageness, you definitely should've used a different couplet.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

KITFUNK wrote:
Smitty wrote:

Those bars are ridiculously played and common. Although I would agree that JuJu is dope, but I also don't dismiss Psycho as much, cause he get down. But for proof of JuJu's above averageness, you definitely should've used a different couplet.
Has someone else punned on Canon/cannon like that before? The rhyme itself is great to me, "physical manner" "digital camera", never heard those together before.

Julius Seizure

Post by Julius Seizure »

never question KITFUNK's knowledge of multis!

Req

Post by Req »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote: Firm - Nature
Not that it's particularly difficult, but Nature is a waaaaaay better rapper than Foxy Brown.
F.U. MOOLAH

Post by 907 »

The Lox - Sheek Louch

Sould of mischief - A plus?

Demigodz/ army of the pharaohs/ anything he has been a part of - Esoteric
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

SYM
The Overlord of Overthinking

Post by SYM »

Thun wrote:
Hair of the Dog wrote:
Thun wrote:
truthaddict wrote:Organized Konfusion - Prince Po
Wrong. Prince Po outshines Monch 50% of the time. One of the most balanced groups ever.
oh thats bold. I'll give you that Prince Po held his own and was rarely severely outshined, but he was at least slightly outshined on the majority of tracks. Pharoah's vocal presence > anything Prince Po brings to the table.
Wrong. Let's list all the tracks they both rap on and assess individually.
I agree with "one of the most balanced groups ever."

But I am siding with truthaddict on Monch verses at their most quotable. Prince Po verses at their best were instant quoatables, but especially on tracks where they both were not trading verse-for-verse, those quotables are not nearly as memorable as Monch's.

on a side note: almost makes me want to revisit Po's solo work to see if dude made anything better than The Slickness. if there's anything worth a mere listen after '04, rock a link to it. haven't heard, and am all ears.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

907 wrote:Demigodz/ army of the pharaohs/ anything he has been a part of - Esoteric
Labeling Esoteric the weak link of the crew would suggest there is actually good rappers in the group.

DLG

Post by DLG »

:lol:

Post by 907 »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:
907 wrote:Demigodz/ army of the pharaohs/ anything he has been a part of - Esoteric
Labeling Esoteric the weak link of the crew would suggest there is actually good rappers in the group.
Celph titled might not be an amazing rapper, but he is entertaining as hell. I liked a lot of the old Demigodz stuff with him, apathy, and louis logic, but esoteric was always awful.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

Hair of the Dog

Post by Hair of the Dog »

Thun wrote:
Hair of the Dog wrote:
Thun wrote:
Wrong. Prince Po outshines Monch 50% of the time. One of the most balanced groups ever.
oh thats bold. I'll give you that Prince Po held his own and was rarely severely outshined, but he was at least slightly outshined on the majority of tracks. Pharoah's vocal presence > anything Prince Po brings to the table.
son of a bitch. more balance: Organized Konfusion or Outkast?

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

:upload: That Cannibal Ox without Vast.

boobiez and buttz

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Camp Lo - Chiba
:larry: I'll put them up there with OK and OutKast for balance groupwise.

Best I can think of is Sen Dog, dude always raps like he really needs to go to the bathroom.
I get this, but Sen Dog still brings something to the table in Cypress.

Comedy Quaddafi

I like Chiba and I have nothing against Sen Dog. The purpose of the thread is to identify the weakest link in a group, don't take it personal.

And no. Nature is not better than Fox Brown.

Mooh, I'll up it sometime this evening.
- MB

Willie $krilla

Post by Willie $krilla »

How can their be a weak link in camp lo?

ogie

Post by ogie »

SYM wrote:
Thun wrote:
Hair of the Dog wrote:
Thun wrote:
I agree with "one of the most balanced groups ever."

But I am siding with truthaddict on Monch verses at their most quotable. Prince Po verses at their best were instant quoatables, but especially on tracks where they both were not trading verse-for-verse, those quotables are not nearly as memorable as Monch's.

on a side note: almost makes me want to revisit Po's solo work to see if dude made anything better than The Slickness. if there's anything worth a mere listen after '04, rock a link to it. haven't heard, and am all ears.
i liked the ep he did with d-strong last year. can't find a link and embed won't work.

http://youtu.be/joMIXRXSsKc

Brokewax

Post by Brokewax »

Req wrote:
Comedy Quaddafi wrote: Firm - Nature
Not that it's particularly difficult, but Nature is a waaaaaay better rapper than Foxy Brown.
:cheers:

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Julius Seizure wrote:never question KITFUNK's knowledge of multis!
I know right? Like there's poignant, meaningful, inspirational Juju lyrics out there I'm overlooking...