Recent RZA Material?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

BusinessMan

Recent RZA Material?

Post by BusinessMan »

Am just listening to some Grooveshark radio and some RZA came on, which made me realize I haven't really heard anything major from him since 8 diagrams (probably something else which I'm forgetting).

Has he been completely immersed in the cinema game or is there some noteworthy material I'm missing out on?
Get Money Bitch!

Versive

Post by Versive »

In before the ridiculously unfounded, ignorant "RZA is the most overrated rapper ever" posts.

He has tracks on Chamber Music and Legendary Weapons, which are basically Wu-Tang compilations in the vein of Wu Meets Indie Culture.

The 3rd Bob Digi album, Digi Snacks, came out after 8 Diagrams, but it's not too good - definitely not on the level of the other 2.

Also he's released some songs in this series
http://wuwednesday.com/

BusinessMan

Post by BusinessMan »

Versive wrote:In before the ridiculously unfounded, ignorant "RZA is the most overrated rapper ever" posts.

He has tracks on Chamber Music and Legendary Weapons, which are basically Wu-Tang compilations in the vein of Wu Meets Indie Culture.

The 3rd Bob Digi album, Digi Snacks, came out after 8 Diagrams, but it's not too good - definitely not on the level of the other 2.

Also he's released some songs in this series
http://wuwednesday.com/

Oh yea, I forgot about Digi Snacks, had a couple good tracks but I agree it wasn't as good as the other two.

I'll check out CM and LW, however I enjoy his solo material for entirely different reasons than the group material. Kinda how I like 13 Assassins for different reasons than Ichi the Killer.
Get Money Bitch!

step one

Post by step one »

He did some stuff with Kanye. Fuck knows what that sounds like. He hasnt done anything amazing in a very long time though.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

i'm a huge wu stan and would never say he is underrated, but even i gotta admit that aside from a few songs here and there he's mostly lost his touch. his head seems more in his movie and hanging out with russel crow than in the music

i'd love for him to return to form, i'd love for him to stop fucking around with lazy shit and fruitless rock side projects and just produce some proper grimy shit for Rev Burke who's going wasted as his protege. but that's not very likely to happen
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

One thing I feel cheated out of was a proper Rza album while he still had his magic touch, an lp with tracks like Wu Wear, Tragedy, and others with more material in that style.

But he morphed into Bobby Digi at the time and, well, fuck it.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Re: Recent RZA Material?

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

BusinessMan wrote:Am just listening to some Grooveshark radio and some RZA came on, which made me realize I haven't really heard anything major from him since 8 diagrams (probably something else which I'm forgetting).

Has he been completely immersed in the cinema game or is there some noteworthy material I'm missing out on?
He did a really incredible track for Kendrick Lamar called "Reagan Era" that dropped real recently. It is also Kendrick Lamar's best song, so definitely worth checking out.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

shadowmaster wrote: But he morphed into Bobby Digi at the time and, well, fuck it.
i would not be mad at all if he was still doing shit comprable to the first bobby digital album

BusinessMan

Post by BusinessMan »

drizzle wrote:i'm a huge wu stan and would never say he is underrated, but even i gotta admit that aside from a few songs here and there he's mostly lost his touch. his head seems more in his movie and hanging out with russel crow than in the music

i'd love for him to return to form, i'd love for him to stop fucking around with lazy shit and fruitless rock side projects and just produce some proper grimy shit for Rev Burke who's going wasted as his protege. but that's not very likely to happen
Yea this is kinda similar to my thoughts, I was kinda hoping that I was just out of touch with what he was really up to, but it seems I was pretty spot on. It does look like he's much more focused on his movie stuff and heading in that direction as opposed to getting back in touch with his roots. I don't blame him for expanding his horizon, but I do wish he'd bust out that dusty SP1200 (well maybe not quite that far back lol) and give us some more of that good shit.

EDIT: I'm getting a strong urge to watch Throne of Blood
Get Money Bitch!

step one

Post by step one »

shadowmaster wrote:One thing I feel cheated out of was a proper Rza album while he still had his magic touch, an lp with tracks like Wu Wear, Tragedy, and others with more material in that style.

But he morphed into Bobby Digi at the time and, well, fuck it.
This. A RZA album in 95/96 wouldve been amazing (assuming that like all the other Wu solos, the rest of the Clan featured heavily)

BusinessMan

Post by BusinessMan »

COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:
BusinessMan wrote:Am just listening to some Grooveshark radio and some RZA came on, which made me realize I haven't really heard anything major from him since 8 diagrams (probably something else which I'm forgetting).

He did a really incredible track for Kendrick Lamar called "Reagan Era" that dropped real recently. It is also Kendrick Lamar's best song, so definitely worth checking out.
Thanks for that! Just checked it out, incredibly dope.
Get Money Bitch!

BARRY LURKIN

Post by BARRY LURKIN »

GEORGE LUCAS.

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

BusinessMan wrote:
COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:

Thanks for that! Just checked it out, incredibly dope.
One of my favorite songs this year. You're welcome.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

people dont seem to recognize that RZA invented a sound that is normal to hear now, its everywhere in rap and beyond so it doesnt stand out like it used to

wu tang invented underground rap

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

did mothefuckers not like "Birth of a Prince"?????

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

fuck didn't he produce the majority of "No Said Date" too? It's not like he's really that far out of touch. I hold on to hope he will be back and focused once his movie bombs.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

birth of a prince is dope but its still half of a bob digi album

there hasnt been a full rza album without bobby

Versive

Post by Versive »

I like to believe that he's had The Cure locked in the vaults for 10+ years and will drop it out of nowhere in 2012 and it will be the best rap album of all time.

That's what I like to imagine anyway.

The Afro Samurai Resurrection OST also dropped post-8 Diagrams and was dope.

Drizzle, you're spot on about the need for a RZA produced Revrand Welium Burck album. Also, I consider the first Bobby Digital album a classic that ranks up there with Liquid Swords, OB4CL, etc.

:wutang:

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Expecting RZA will be all over the soundtrack to his upcoming martial arts flick.

step one

Post by step one »

Versive wrote:II consider the first Bobby Digital album a classic that ranks up there with Liquid Swords, OB4CL, etc.
:larry:

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Versive wrote: The Afro Samurai Resurrection OST also dropped post-8 Diagrams and was dope.
Both of the Afro Samurai soundtracks are great.

Would not only like to hear more of Reverend Burke (who's on both volumes, I think) but would love to hear more Stone Mecca. They are on some other shit.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

step one wrote:
Versive wrote:II consider the first Bobby Digital album a classic that ranks up there with Liquid Swords, OB4CL, etc.
C'mon man, it's out there but it's still a very solid record. Maybe not on the same level as LS or OB4CL, but definitely top tier as far as what was dropping out of the Wu camp at that point in time.

Different strokes though.

:wutang: :wutang: :wutang:

Versive

Post by Versive »

Echo Leader wrote:
step one wrote:
C'mon man, it's out there but it's still a very solid record. Maybe not on the same level as LS or OB4CL, but definitely top tier as far as what was dropping out of the Wu camp at that point in time.

OB4CL and LS to a lesser extent have inspired millions of imitations (some successful, some not so much) over the years. Bobby Digitial in Stereo remains inimitable for the most part. Not that this makes it better that the other two, but there is something to be said for the record in that regard.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Versive wrote:
Echo Leader wrote:
step one wrote:

OB4CL and LS to a lesser extent have inspired millions of imitations (some successful, some not so much) over the years. Bobby Digitial in Stereo remains inimitable for the most part. Not that this makes it better that the other two, but there is something to be said for the record in that regard.
I'm with you man (nhjic).

:leon:

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

versive makes a good point re: bobby bobby bobby, that style was too singular and weird to imitate

BARRY LURKIN

Post by BARRY LURKIN »

SECOND ONE WAS BETTER BUT.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

lol no

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

drizzle wrote:lol no

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

I recently revisited Bobby Digital and found it held up better than I thought it would. It's definitely unique. I almost made a post asking if it was the best MC/Producer album. I forgot the others that I was considering, and RZA rhymes less as the album goes on, but it's definitely a contender for the best. Really works well as an album. I Digital Bullet a lot too, not as much as the first one, but it's damn good.

Versive

Post by Versive »

The songs toward the end of Digital Bullet, where RZA starts getting overtly philosophical -- Be a Man, Righteous Way, Build Strong, Sickness -- represent some of his best solo work as far as I'm concerned.

Still, Bobby Digital in Stereo is better on the whole, way more cohesive, and the beats and rhymes just hit harder.