The Official Watch The Throne Thread

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Unless it's the same singer from the eighties, I've never heard of this Sabrina chick.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

It's a given WTT is destined to be a smash from cul de sacs to cutty spots. But it's one of the most memorable and embarrassing spectacles of 2011. Remember "Renegades"? I do and WTT is a painfully extended version of whatever that was supposed to be. A few spectacular beats drenched in only the kind of greenbacks that can by them. Drowned out by the pathetic machinations of Jay-Z wistfully trying to recapture his double-time glory days. Kanye plays his inferior, surface-wit peddling, hype man and should win a Grammy for that reason alone. A "deluxe" exercise in yacht measuring in which the protege halfheartedly chases the tired father of his feminized style. "Entertainment Weekly" can handle the adoration-soaked track-by-track breakdown for the real heads.

This is not HAM. This is Carl Buddig.

Peace,
Employee

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

HipHoppin wrote:Lil Wayne supposedly firing back at Jay-Z for the lyrics on H.A.M.:

<object width="560" height="345"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PEwZOvHyBgc?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PEwZOvHyBgc?ve ... en_US&hd=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="345" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
Cool verse.

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

as much as i hate kanye and dont care for jay right now, i enjoyed WTT..i'll keep playing it out until i hate it, or until it gets cold out.

Rob Banks

"Watch The Throne" Most Important Album In Hip Hop

Post by Rob Banks »

So I'm in the supermarket today and I see a copy of Respect Magazine. Jay-Z and Kanye are on the cover and the caption reads: "Watch The Throne is the most important album in hip hop history. And we can prove it!" Now I didn't crack the magazine open to look at the evidence (although I am kind of interested in the methodology he used to reach that conclusion), but I'm almost POSITIVE that Watch The Throne ISN"T the most important album in hip hop history... It's not even good, and I'm a fan of both Jay and Kanye. I hate Elliott Wilson- I think the dude is a dickriding cornball. In my opinion, it almost borders on irresponsible journalism. I know the advantages of using your little sell-out rag to slurp up to Jigga and Yeezy in hopes that they one day either artist will acknowledge you or your shitty magazine's existence (by the way neither artist contributed to this "cover story'), but for some reason 14 and 15-year-old kids pick this shit up and believe the shit the writers are spewing the same way I did with the Source when I was in high school fifteen years ago. Is it really in anyone's best interest to have a generation of hip hop listeners walking around in five years believing that the most important album in hip hop HISTORY is Watch The Throne?!?! How much am I gonna wanna smack those motherfuckers in the face? Am I alone here? Is it possible that Watch The Throne is not the most important album in hip hip history? If it's so great, how come I've only listened to it three times?
I like Philly basketball, Boston baseball, and New York rap.

vinylpops

Re: "Watch The Throne" Most Important Album In Hip

Post by vinylpops »

Rob Banks wrote:So I'm in the supermarket today and I see a copy of Respect Magazine. Jay-Z and Kanye are on the cover and the caption reads: "Watch The Throne is the most important album in hip hop history. And we can prove it!" Now I didn't crack the magazine open to look at the evidence (although I am kind of interested in the methodology he used to reach that conclusion), but I'm almost POSITIVE that Watch The Throne ISN"T the most important album in hip hop history... It's not even good, and I'm a fan of both Jay and Kanye. I hate Elliott Wilson- I think the dude is a dickriding cornball. In my opinion, it almost borders on irresponsible journalism. I know the advantages of using your little sell-out rag to slurp up to Jigga and Yeezy in hopes that they one day either artist will acknowledge you or your shitty magazine's existence (by the way neither artist contributed to this "cover story'), but for some reason 14 and 15-year-old kids pick this shit up and believe the shit the writers are spewing the same way I did with the Source when I was in high school fifteen years ago. Is it really in anyone's best interest to have a generation of hip hop listeners walking around in five years believing that the most important album in hip hop HISTORY is Watch The Throne?!?! How much am I gonna wanna smack those motherfuckers in the face? Am I alone here? Is it possible that Watch The Throne is not the most important album in hip hip history? If it's so great, how come I've only listened to it three times?

Rob Banks

Post by Rob Banks »

More to the point, the love this album is getting fucking bewilders me!
I like Philly basketball, Boston baseball, and New York rap.

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

The love this album is getting should not bewilder anyone, given the artist's respective track records, and Kanye's critical role.

I don't have a problem with this stadium rap - its spot is forged in my ipod - great for working out. Not so great for the hitting da bong with homies doe.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Re: "Watch The Throne" Most Important Album In Hip

Post by Philaflava »

vinylpops wrote:
Rob Banks wrote:So I'm in the supermarket today and I see a copy of Respect Magazine. Jay-Z and Kanye are on the cover and the caption reads: "Watch The Throne is the most important album in hip hop history. And we can prove it!" Now I didn't crack the magazine open to look at the evidence (although I am kind of interested in the methodology he used to reach that conclusion), but I'm almost POSITIVE that Watch The Throne ISN"T the most important album in hip hop history... It's not even good, and I'm a fan of both Jay and Kanye. I hate Elliott Wilson- I think the dude is a dickriding cornball. In my opinion, it almost borders on irresponsible journalism. I know the advantages of using your little sell-out rag to slurp up to Jigga and Yeezy in hopes that they one day either artist will acknowledge you or your shitty magazine's existence (by the way neither artist contributed to this "cover story'), but for some reason 14 and 15-year-old kids pick this shit up and believe the shit the writers are spewing the same way I did with the Source when I was in high school fifteen years ago. Is it really in anyone's best interest to have a generation of hip hop listeners walking around in five years believing that the most important album in hip hop HISTORY is Watch The Throne?!?! How much am I gonna wanna smack those motherfuckers in the face? Am I alone here? Is it possible that Watch The Throne is not the most important album in hip hip history? If it's so great, how come I've only listened to it three times?
Read the first sentence but all of this is the mind of Elliot Wilson who is beyond this new mag. It's about the dollars, holla.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

if you have any interest in listening to two white guys analyze this record for 2 hours.. jesse thorn (the sound of young america) was the guest on jensen karp's get up on this podcast to discuss the record. they're both obvs hip hop fans.. but don't really offer a ton of insight you couldn't find by reading threads like this one. they are engaging enough radio personalities tho.. and 88-keys & bun b both offer their thoughts as guests, which are the highlights

http://smodcast.com/episodes/w-jesse-th ... al-guests/

KickTheChair

Post by KickTheChair »

I tried listening to this in headphones,by the sixth track I began to feel restless and a tad disgusted,so I got through four more songs on my speakers-then I had to stop.I like the first track though,I would listen to it again,but I would just be reminded of the other songs,so I'm sure I can live without it.

I was not suprised,nor enraged by my reaction to what I've heard.It's pretty much what you'd expect,considering their recent work.

WTT,in no way justifies the hype and ranges from mediocre to average and can probably be tolerated if your not actually focusing on it while you listen.

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

jay hints at another throne album
ג€œIt depends on how this thing finishes up,ג€ Jay said in reference to his and Kanyeג€™s current Watch the Throne Tour. ג€œWe ג€” I say ג€˜weג€™ because Iג€™m in Throne mode ג€” weג€™re in a great place creatively. You might see a Jay, then Kanye and a Throne album next year. You know, weג€™re really in a great place creatively. We really found our zone.ג€
slow down jay you killin em

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

they NEED to do a second album.

normally i would say no, but fuck yeah they need to make an album that's actually GOOD and maybe even CLASSIC like some of their old ones.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

let that bitch breathe

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

these stupid ass ninjas didn't even perform 'Murder to Excellence' on the WTT tour.

LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAME
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

axel foley

Post by axel foley »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:these stupid ass ninjas didn't even perform 'Murder to Excellence' on the WTT tour.
they did.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Re: The Official Watch The Throne Thread

Post by Employee »

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

:lol: that video is like 2 months old
Employee wrote:Unless they are each guaranteed huge paydays from WTT2, that album will never see the light of day; much less be worked on (nh @ "be worked on").
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

I do lack the trained ear of Magneto so, yes, it is not impossible that I missed news of this hitting the street when it did.

Also: "devastating :copy:" + "meta-devastating :copy:"

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

And I really didn't think, genuinely, that there would be a sequel given Kanye's public menstruation festivals, also the lack of collaborations with each other on their newest respective shits, and the title of Kanye's album followed shortly by Jay-Z's of an equally absurd title.

That's the price for livin' a wyte lyfe, though.

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

I'm pretty sure you being white has nothing to do with that hilariously asinine line of logic. I'll just chalk that line up to your creepy obsession with race baiting.
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

And I'll chalk your obsession with me up as a creepy fascination of yours.

:stalker: