Pusha-T
1%
Nas
7%

Total votes: 118

david111

Post by david111 »

step one wrote:
david111 wrote:t.i. is a better rapper with more dimension & personality than either thornton brother
Just wanted to quote this to highlight how retarded it is.

I like a handful of TI's songs (mainly down to the beats) but he's th definition of a generic southern rapper. I havent heard anything by him that can compete with Malice or Pusha as far as flow or wordplay goes.
:roll: you really have no idea what you're talking about. have you actually heard trap muzik? be serious. the thornton's flows are generic ny-influenced monotones, nothing about their rap styles are in any way unique. t.i. was a blend of jay lyricism and pac concepts with the southern T-Rock doubletime. T.I. on the "Never Scared" remix >>>
david111 wrote: jay doesn't belong in this conversation.
This is just a fucking stupid statement. Did you only discover rap in 2005?
only someone who discovered rap in 2005 would think that jay's biggest impact came during this decade and not in the 90s. his best records dropped in the 90s, period. sure, lil wayne showed his influence later on in a (successful) effort to cross over & a hundred post-blueprint new jacks discovered him this decade, but his definitive & most creative & influential period was the late 90s.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I'm a big fan of the Trap Muzik album and think T.I. is definitely underrated by a lot of purist types as a rapper. Especially on Trap Muzik. "No more talk" is my go to joint when trying to explain this to people who front.

That said, i still feel that Pusha-T, on the first two Clipse albums, is a better rapper than T.I. ever was. The only thing T.I got on him was his variety of topics and knowing how to make good mainstream shit.

step one

Post by step one »

david111 wrote:
only someone who discovered rap in 2005 would think that jay's biggest impact came during this decade and not in the 90s. his best records dropped in the 90s, period. sure, lil wayne showed his influence later on in a (successful) effort to cross over & a hundred post-blueprint new jacks discovered him this decade, but his definitive & most creative & influential period was the late 90s.

Some would say his best records dropped in the 90s (which isnt what the topic is about) - Id actually say he was consistent from 96 up to 05 - but he didnt start to be seen as an influence on other rappers until the 00s.

The majority of people didnt give a fuck about Wayne until 06ish onwards so I dont see how 5 years of popularity on a larger scale can qualify him for 'most important of the decade'.

For the record I've heard all the TI albums and although theres a few standouts on each one I've never understood why he's held in such high regard. He can come with some good accessible mainstream music but as a rapper/lyricist he's very much an also ran.

Also, you dick ride southern rap way too much.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

david111

Post by david111 »

or maybe you dont respect it nearly enough / dont get it? lol @ 'dick riding' the south, you only think that bcuz you're on ny dick -- the rest of the u.s. caught on almost ten years ago

the idea that t.i. is an 'also ran' is ... entirely crazy. hes an incredible lyrical rapper, with classic verses, and is respected nationally as a great rapper. maybe you dont realize because his flow is smoother & slurred, less conventional than pusha t's, but and 'i got it 4 cheap' wishes it was as good as t.i.'s '02-'03 mixtape run

and yes, people did care about lil wayne prior to '05, the sqad up tapes are >>> anything jay released this decade -- the people who only cared about him later in the decade are the same ones you're criticizing for liking t.i.'s pop moves

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Oh shit I didn't know acthepd returned.

RoKnew

Post by RoKnew »

Blockhead wrote:That said, i still feel that Pusha-T, on the first two Clipse albums, is a better rapper than T.I. ever was. The only thing T.I got on him was his variety of topics and knowing how to make good mainstream shit.
Thats arguable, either way. Pusha probably got better wordplay but T.I is more versatile with content and delivery. T.I. is pretty good with incorporating fast and slow raps into the same verse, I don't know if I ever heard Clipse switch their delivery up much.

The Rapping Coffin

Post by The Rapping Coffin »

david111 wrote:or maybe you dont respect it nearly enough / dont get it? lol @ 'dick riding' the south, you only think that bcuz you're on ny dick -- the rest of the u.s. caught on almost ten years ago

the idea that t.i. is an 'also ran' is ... entirely crazy. hes an incredible lyrical rapper, with classic verses, and is respected nationally as a great rapper. maybe you dont realize because his flow is smoother & slurred, less conventional than pusha t's, but and 'i got it 4 cheap' wishes it was as good as t.i.'s '02-'03 mixtape run

and yes, people did care about lil wayne prior to '05, the sqad up tapes are >>> anything jay released this decade -- the people who only cared about him later in the decade are the same ones you're criticizing for liking t.i.'s pop moves
Agree with all of this. But to be fair it's hard to say Jay wasn't influential and then casually mention the Sqad tapes. He might as well have called himself Jay-Z jr or Angelous on those tapes.

ILL SEER

Post by ILL SEER »

david111 wrote:
just because you think his best records were in the 90s, it doesn't follow that he couldn't still be the most influential rapper post 2000.

and its ridiculous to assert he had more influence in the 90s, he controlled Def Jam and captured the attention of millions of grandmothers and publicschoolers both after 2000.

post 2000 Jay Z has been emulated more than any other rapper.

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

david111 wrote:
Escobar305 wrote:And lol at Internet buzz. Hhnf received acclaim from just about every major publication
thats like a key element of having 'internet buzz' -- most publications continue to make coverage decisions based on that thus your collective obsession with asap rocky

trap muzik is 100x better than hell hath no fury. t.i. is a better rapper with more dimension & personality than either thornton brother, born out by pusha t's dishwater bland solo career. that record was neptunes fanboyism reaching fever pitch. the idea that 'ride around shining' or 'trill' are on the level of 'long live the game' is hilarious

lol at trap muzik being 100x better than hhnf. your delusional. pusha from i got it 4 cheap until hhnf was quite possibly the best pound for pound rapping at that given moment.

trap muzik on its best day isn't even fucking with lord willin so stop it

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

RoKnew wrote:
Blockhead wrote:That said, i still feel that Pusha-T, on the first two Clipse albums, is a better rapper than T.I. ever was. The only thing T.I got on him was his variety of topics and knowing how to make good mainstream shit.
Thats arguable, either way. Pusha probably got better wordplay but T.I is more versatile with content and delivery. T.I. is pretty good with incorporating fast and slow raps into the same verse, I don't know if I ever heard Clipse switch their delivery up much.
It's certainly not a definitive opinion. Personally, I think Pusha is a better rapper. I agree that T.I. is more versatile but so it someone like busta rhymes. Pusha does only one thing, but he's one of the best at that thing (at least at one point in his career). To me, that counts for something

On a side note, I think one of the things that makes T.I kinda special is that he's more influenced by NY shit than people assume. He just happens to have a thick ass accent to cover it up.

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/v3UnI8DrtJE?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/v3UnI8DrtJE?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

>>>>>>>>

david111

Post by david111 »

Blockhead wrote: On a side note, I think one of the things that makes T.I kinda special is that he's more influenced by NY shit than people assume. He just happens to have a thick ass accent to cover it up.
i agree with this. i always thought jay-z was the obvious template he was aiming for in the mid-00s, albeit with a more pac-expressive style.

escobar i said got it 4 cheap wasn't comparing with t.i.'s mixtapes, 'in da streetz' tapes were a big deal & rebuilt his career after the debut was a relative flop

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

david111 wrote:
Blockhead wrote: On a side note, I think one of the things that makes T.I kinda special is that he's more influenced by NY shit than people assume. He just happens to have a thick ass accent to cover it up.
i agree with this. i always thought jay-z was the obvious template he was aiming for, albeit with a more pac-expressive style
Yup. Deep down in T.I. there is a guy who has spit some lyrical miracles.
I'd bet money he rhymed "time-travilin'", "unravelin'"and Javalin" at some point in his earlier years.

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

david111 wrote:
i agree with this. i always thought jay-z was the obvious template he was aiming for in the mid-00s, albeit with a more pac-expressive style.

escobar i said got it 4 cheap wasn't comparing with t.i.'s mixtapes, 'in da streetz' tapes were a big deal & rebuilt his career after the debut was a relative flop
:roll: lmfaooooooooo im done man

i'm not you >>>>>>>>>> long live the game

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/iT6TOz9xM4A?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/iT6TOz9xM4A?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

:copy: :copy: :copy: :copy: :copy:

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

my list would go

kanye
jay/andre
camron
pusha

in terms of importance this past decade

EichTurner

Post by EichTurner »

Weezy
illegal mind shoe lace

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

I really was swayed by dudes arguments re insight. Maybe we should all give him another thorough listen?

step one

Post by step one »

david111 wrote:or maybe you dont respect it nearly enough / dont get it? lol @ 'dick riding' the south, you only think that bcuz you're on ny dick -- the rest of the u.s. caught on almost ten years ago
Not sure where you got the idea Im 'on ny dick' - I do listen to southern rap and have done since the early Rap A Lot days, I just dont have sub/dom fantasies of wrestling Big Kuntry in a tub full of jelly like you do.
david111 wrote:the idea that t.i. is an 'also ran' is ... entirely crazy. hes an incredible lyrical rapper, with classic verses, and is respected nationally as a great rapper. maybe you dont realize because his flow is smoother & slurred, less conventional than pusha t's, but and 'i got it 4 cheap' wishes it was as good as t.i.'s '02-'03 mixtape run
I know TI is respected as a rapper - he's not an incredible lyricist though. The thread topic isnt about your favourite rappers anyway.
david111 wrote:and yes, people did care about lil wayne prior to '05, the sqad up tapes are >>> anything jay released this decade --
I know people cared about Wayne pre 05 but his "importance" wasnt on any significantb scale back then. You might have enjoyed the Squad Up tapes more than Blueprint or Black Album but if you think they were more important you should probably seek medical attention.
david111 wrote:the people who only cared about him later in the decade are the same ones you're criticizing for liking t.i.'s pop moves
Really? because Im pretty sure from 07-2010 everyone still cared about him. Maybe not in your insular blogger universe where anything that 'other people' are enjoying is old news though.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

odium-LSC wrote:I really was swayed by dudes arguments re insight. Maybe we should all give him another thorough listen?
<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rmr3bWUra-A?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rmr3bWUra-A?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_YRDacAQy4o?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_YRDacAQy4o?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AVomhr0f7Bw?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AVomhr0f7Bw?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Block might be right, top 3 seems fitting.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

david111 wrote:t.i. is ... an incredible lyrical rapper, with classic verses, and is respected nationally as a great rapper.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Trap Muzik >>> HHNF. Trap Muzik was incredibly influential too. And I'm in no way a huge TI fan either.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

blastmaster wrote:Trap Muzik >>> HHNF. Trap Muzik was incredibly influential too. And I'm in no way a huge TI fan either.
I can agree with that. I will even go a step further and say that TI makes better albums than Clipse. However, I think the Pusha is a better rapper than TI.

step one

Post by step one »

Cash Rulz wrote:
blastmaster wrote:Trap Muzik >>> HHNF. Trap Muzik was incredibly influential too. And I'm in no way a huge TI fan either.
I can agree with that. I will even go a step further and say that TI makes better albums than Clipse. However, I think the Pusha is a better rapper than TI.
They both make better albums than Jadakiss but he's a better rapper than both of them. Weird huh?
As far as influencing other rappers in the last 10-15 years Jada is up there.

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

Trap muzik isn't even fucking wih lord willin so just stop it. :arrow:

Thun

Post by Thun »

I never "got" how the Clipse are great rappers. Can someone articulate and logical break that one down for me? I'm slow I guess.

T.I. is influenced by Slick Rick and has a better flow and slurs his words so I have a harder time understanding his quasi-christian redemption bullshit. So far he wins in my book.

RoKnew

Post by RoKnew »

david111 wrote: and yes, people did care about lil wayne prior to '05, the sqad up tapes are >>> anything jay released this decade -- the people who only cared about him later in the decade are the same ones you're criticizing for liking t.i.'s pop moves
David I usually agree with most of what you post on this board but you sayin those Sqad up tapes are doper than Blueprint or Black Album?

Req

Post by Req »

RoKnew wrote:
david111 wrote: and yes, people did care about lil wayne prior to '05, the sqad up tapes are >>> anything jay released this decade -- the people who only cared about him later in the decade are the same ones you're criticizing for liking t.i.'s pop moves
David I usually agree with most of what you post on this board but you sayin those Sqad up tapes are doper than Blueprint or Black Album?
in David111's world of gay, the lyrical stylings of Nutt & Gutta >>>>> one of the greatest rappers of all time at arguably his emceeing peak.
F.U. MOOLAH

step one

Post by step one »

Thun wrote:I never "got" how the Clipse are great rappers. Can someone articulate and logical break that one down for me?
Im sure someone could but you'd just dismiss it and say its not as good as Grand Puba on Step To The Rear so it'd be a waste of time.

(Id say they were good rather than great but the point remains)

Thun

Post by Thun »

step one wrote:
Thun wrote:I never "got" how the Clipse are great rappers. Can someone articulate and logical break that one down for me?
Im sure someone could but you'd just dismiss it and say its not as good as Grand Puba on Step To The Rear so it'd be a waste of time.

(Id say they were good rather than great but the point remains)
Yo, you forgot to tearfully mention that I wrote an analysis of a Das Efx b-side.