Azealia Banks

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

Sounds more like Missy Elliot with multis than Nicki Minaj to me.

Wack.. and I'm pretty open-minded.

BARRY LURKIN

Post by BARRY LURKIN »

Thun wrote:She's not that cute
LARRY DAVID IS SQUINTING.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:Sounds more like Missy Elliot with multis than Nicki Minaj to me.

Wack.. and I'm pretty open-minded.
:rofl:

yeah.

when it wasn't wack, it was weak, to me.

the bar for rappers is really low these days.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

BARRY LURKIN wrote:
Thun wrote:She's not that cute
LARRY DAVID IS SQUINTING.
:copy:

i'd like to see her & nicki dis/touch each other
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Rob Banks

Post by Rob Banks »

I don't know how some of you guys peep shit like this and COMPLETELY ignore otherwise doper lesser-known shit. The older I get the more I realize how important the marketing is and how unimportant the music is...
I like Philly basketball, Boston baseball, and New York rap.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

ayo bro. i don't know what you mean by marketing but i just saw this shit on youtube. you and a couple aging pedos tryna play like you gotta have an ulterior motive to like this shit. the song sounds dope it's really not that complicated.
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Rob Banks wrote:I don't know how some of you guys peep shit like this and COMPLETELY ignore otherwise doper lesser-known shit. The older I get the more I realize how important the marketing is and how unimportant the music is...
me too, man.

EVERYTHING ON EARTH is about marketing and promotions.

the rap game turned into a VIP Asshole where basically only co-signs matter.

people dont care about music. they care about popularity.

it's weird, cause dudes on this board who i really respect are saying this girl is dope, and i'm like "really? what the fuck though"

brother man, this why i continue to say: RAP IS OUTTA CONTROL :P

:icedit: can't front, i thought you were down with her for a second, Rob. last name, and all. I know it's stupid. :rofl:
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Rob Banks wrote:I don't know how some of you guys peep shit like this and COMPLETELY ignore otherwise doper lesser-known shit. The older I get the more I realize how important the marketing is and how unimportant the music is...
Family is suppose to stick together brah.

Rob Banks

Post by Rob Banks »

Philaflava wrote:
Family is suppose to stick together brah.
Yeah well if an Ant Banks thread gets started, I'll be sure to get vocal...

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

:rofl: word.

Azealia is a cool name, but her name is more original than her music is :P

still waiting for someone to flip the script for female rappers

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

She is both "dope and lesser known". Doesn't even have an album out and isn't exactly all over the ready yet? People care about rappers who have sucked ass for years now, Mobb Deep, Sean Price, Nas, and whoever else should have quit a long time ago. You should direct your outrage at that instead.

Fuck is with this attitude some of you people have? You don't have some magic abacus that can calculate the dopeness of a rapper so fall back with that shit. And stop being old. Old faggots.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

david111

Post by david111 »

she's not 'lesser known' she's doing a record w/ the dude who did production for fucking Adele & every hipster press outlet has given highly enthusiastic encouragement for this garbage.

Rob Banks

Post by Rob Banks »

If I had the choice to be 31 and listen to Gang Starr or be 22 and listen to Azealia Banks, I'd take...

Being 22 and listening to Azealia Banks. But that's only because of how much I want to be 22 again. But in real life, if you're 22, you can listen to whatever music you want to... so why choose Azealia Banks?

By the time you're 22, you may already be a college graduate. You should be making more responsible decisions in regard to your taste in music.

I'll admit I'm 31. And I'd rather listen to Masta Ace than A$Ap Rocky.

I mean if you're into Azealia Banks, that's cool. But if you're saying you're a rap fan, and I'm a rap fan, and you're telling me she's "dope", then what's that make Public Enemy? 10,000 x dope! Are they the greatest shit on the planet? Are they on par with water? Oil?

I'm just saying, let's not confuse what's truly dope with what hipsters, not tough black guys, and NME says is cool. Right now.

step one

Post by step one »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:
Fuck is with this attitude some of you people have? You don't have some magic abacus that can calculate the dopeness of a rapper so fall back with that shit. And stop being old. Old faggots.
The 'you're just old' angle got played out a long time ago.

The idea that anyone over 30 is out of touch and couldnt possibly have an informed opinion on this kind of thing is ridiculous.

This is just shitty music that no one will care about in 18 months.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

any mixtape of her or something?

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:
Req wrote:It's a bit creepy to see 35+yr old men critically analyzing music made by teenagers for teenagers.

Like fuck, imagine when you guys were kids listening to your Public Enemy records and ur dad would come in telling you how terrible the shit sounds. You've essentially become your parents.

Except you Jaz, you've become your pedo uncle.
Shes 20 and I think she appeals mainly to people in their 20's. The production she choses is pretty contemporary, Lunice, Jacques Greene and Machinedrum are hipster / snobstep heavyweights and I think this has a lot to do with her sucess. I think a lot of people who listen to her don't really listen to rap.

You might wanna jump out a window after reading this

http://theremixbaby.tumblr.com/post/131 ... s-212-9-10
Michelle Myers: In her second and third verses, Banks crafts much of her lyrics out of the ג€œooג€ and ג€œuhhג€ vowel sounds found in native Manhattanג€™s realest area code. What ensues is a relentless stream of assonance: ג€œkool-aid dude,ג€ ג€œblue bayou,ג€ ג€œdoo-rag too, son,ג€ ג€œthe new one too, huh,ג€ ג€œyou know you were too once.ג€ And like any good drama student, she puts those vowels to work, stretching them, pulling on them, playing in them. Of course, itג€™s all a build up to that delightfully nasty ג€œimma ruin you, cuntג€ punchline, which Banks delivers as if it were already Impact text on an image macro. Banksג€™ lyrical skill wouldnג€™t matter much if she werenג€™t also positively oozing with personality. Luckily, she spits with the kind of mirthful insolence that I imagine music-crit bros hear in Tyler, the Creator. Except sheג€™s way better at rapping.
[10]

An addendum:

Obviously Azealia Banks is not the first or the best rapper to use assonance and internal vowel rhyme this way. I hope my blurb doesnג€™t make it seem like Iג€™ve never heard rapping before. Iג€™m fully aware that most ג€˜goodג€™ (god whatever that means amirite) rappers play with phonemes, both vowel and consonant, in a similar manner. But Azealiaג€™s use of assonance struck me for two reasons. First, she sustains a very high level of internal rhyme based on the same few sounds (say ג€œ212ג€ and then say ג€œruin you cuntג€) for two whole verses. Which is impressive although Iג€™m not interested much in ג€˜impressiveג€™ rapping. I own a Twista album. I got it. But all the assonance, especially when combined with Azealiaג€™s bitchy flow (the verses are, fundamentally, just a stream of rudely-posed questions), simply makes the rapping fun to listen to regardless of the actual substance of what sheג€™s saying. A lot of rappers just donג€™t get this shit. Iג€™m not a hip-hop geek and I know some people will disagree with me on this one, but, in my opinion, you can rap about the dumbest, most useless shit ever as long as you sound hot on the track. The other effect of the the assonant lyrics, is that Azealia ends up holding her mouth in a ג€œooג€ position a lot, which, in the snobby drawl she affects sounds more like an ג€œeww.ג€ Azealia puts that ג€œewwג€ sound to work. I know I said that in my original blurb, but I donג€™t really know how else to explain it. Itג€™s a concept I learned doing Shakespeare showsג€”you give respect to the sounds, let them resonant through your body, and they will work for you, they will help you be truthful in your circumstances. The sounds are honest. So Azealia Banks filters the tone of the rapping through the actual sounds sheג€™s rapping. Without ever needing to say it or even perform it, she reads as disgusted, bored, and condescending. She raps like a classically trained actor (and about oral sex and talkin shit at that!), and I mean that in a good way.
this makes me feel so shitty about the world. kill this person now
Nets 2022

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

step one wrote:This is just shitty music that no one will care about in 18 months.
Thats about 80% of rap music right now, but thats not really the point I think CQ was trying to make.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Isn't CQ like 29?

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Thun wrote:Isn't CQ like 29?
Makes him an
old faggot
if so :lol:

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

why the fuck you guys keep bringing up age? fucking WACK.

what, Jay-Z can't listen to this and/or have an opinion on it, cause he's 41?

GTFOH, dickheads.

fuck her age, fuck my age, fuck your age, but mostly: fuck this wack rap age

I don't think she's that good as a rapper. PERIOD.

whether she's a guilty pleasure or you're some apologist simp, play her if you like her. some don't. it's the same for every fucking artist alive.

don't say "you guys don't like her cause you're old." shut your second asshole, kid. :rofl:

like I was saying about Nicki Minaj a year ago: Azealia Banks doesn't seem ready yet. Needs to work on her personality and find her own voice, to me. She isn't atrocious, but I am not digging what she's doing.
basically, word to Reggie Noble.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:why the fuck you guys keep bringing up age? fucking WACK.

what, Jay-Z can't listen to this and/or have an opinion on it, cause he's 41?

GTFOH, dickheads.

fuck her age, fuck my age, fuck your age, but mostly: fuck this wack rap age

I don't think she's that good as a rapper. PERIOD.

whether she's a guilty pleasure or you're some apologist simp, play her if you like her. some don't. it's the same for every fucking artist alive.

don't say "you guys don't like her cause you're old." shut your second asshole, kid. :rofl:

like I was saying about Nicki Minaj a year ago: Azealia Banks doesn't seem ready yet. Needs to work on her personality and find her own voice, to me. She isn't atrocious, but I am not digging what she's doing.
basically, word to Reggie Noble.
:didntread: :didntread: :didntread: but I was quoting somehting that CQ said.

step one

Post by step one »

Mindbender and david111 both make very valid points.

The worlds about to end :megaman:

Comedy Quaddafi

The "old" thing is usually the last go-to resort in discussions like these. Mostly a joke. I'm 24 btw, neither here nor there.

david: Didn't know shes getting exposed that fast, I don't really read hipster blogs.

step one: Let's see in 18 months. I think you're very wrong.

RZN: You wrote something very similar about Lil B once.
Mindbender Futurama wrote:like I was saying about Nicki Minaj a year ago: Azealia Banks doesn't seem ready yet. Needs to work on her personality and find her own voice, to me. She isn't atrocious, but I am not digging what she's doing.
She doesn't really need to work on anything, regardless of what you think of her. Maybe in your personal criterias for being a "dope mc", but I doubt that matters to her or her fans.
Rob Banks wrote:By the time you're 22, you may already be a college graduate. You should be making more responsible decisions in regard to your taste in music.
LOL. It's that serious?
I mean if you're into Azealia Banks, that's cool. But if you're saying you're a rap fan, and I'm a rap fan, and you're telling me she's "dope", then what's that make Public Enemy? 10,000 x dope! Are they the greatest shit on the planet? Are they on par with water? Oil?

I'm just saying, let's not confuse what's truly dope with what hipsters, not tough black guys, and NME says is cool. Right now.
I think there are different ways to asess different rappers in different time-periods. PE is one of the greatest groups ever, in any genre of music, this girl will never be on that level, she'll never make something timeless and powerful like Shut Em Down or Fight The Power, but I think she has a refreshing sound that I prefer to a lot of contemporary female rappers and I see potential in her. There, ya happy now?
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

step one

Post by step one »

at best its just textbook elementary level rap over skinny jeans beats.

I still dont see why you wouldnt rather listen to something else.

Panama

Post by Panama »

Not a fan

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote:like I was saying about Nicki Minaj a year ago: Azealia Banks doesn't seem ready yet. Needs to work on her personality and find her own voice, to me. She isn't atrocious, but I am not digging what she's doing.
She doesn't really need to work on anything, regardless of what you think of her. Maybe in your personal criterias for being a "dope mc", but I doubt that matters to her or her fans.
fair enough. yeah, if people want some super cute, uber-cool and watered-down version of Nicki Minaj for 2012, here it is.

you can like her music, i ain't trippin off that. but if anyone wants to try and make her sound like "she's original" and "bringing something new to the game", then i'll laugh directly in your face. her fans won't care about the fact she's stylebiting like crazy. She can totally make a lane for herself doing this, our culture is full of clones these days.

"if i dont like it, i dont like it, that don't mean that i'm hating" - uncommon sense

Nicki Minaj is about to get sophomore slumped. Azealia Banks should make the new female rapper template for 2012, instead of upgrading/stealing the formula from the 2010 female rapper template.

Rob Sonic

Post by Rob Sonic »

That 212 song is one of the better songs I've heard in like 8 years.
NICE CAT!

david111

Post by david111 »

'212' just made pitchfork's top ten lol

Comedy Quaddafi

I liked her before she was on Pitchfork's top 10 :smugkid:
- MB

DJCommunist

Post by DJCommunist »

as usual i can side with step one on this....gahbage