Revisited: "A League Of Our Own Vol. 2"

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Employee
Fast Eddie

Revisited: "A League Of Our Own Vol. 2"

Post by Employee »

This showed up in my iPod rotation this morning.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Volume 1 was so good that it made it extremely difficult to produce Volume 2. That is why its vastly different in every way. Objectively speaking, it was a good little indie compilation at the time but I wasn't completely satisfied.

It's probably one of the reasons I always flirt with doing a V3, but it would just be impossible in this climate.

It's also very difficult for me not to be a little bias about the tracks because when you're involved with something you don't see it at all the way the average listener does.

Everything is a nice little glimpse of what the underground sounded in the mid 00s.

This will also probably be the only reply in this thread. CSB.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Philaflava wrote:It's probably one of the reasons I always flirt with doing a V3, but it would just be impossible in this climate.
Why? Given that it does take a while for those tracks to get done, it doesn't seem to impossible. Unless you'd want to hold it to a higher standard that what you put out before.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

You're an exception, but it's very difficult to gather rappers, tracks and really do things properly the way it requires for an album. Sure you can send out a few S.O.S.'s and drum up some buzz. Just take Joe Budden for example, he got at everybody for that "feature" mixtape. Slug, Elzhi, your name here, and just about all the replies were positive. Last week Budden said he isn't doing the album now because he has no desire to chase people anymore. Rappers are a unique breed, let's just keep it at that.

Take a look at the yearly PF posse cut. Everybody wanted to get down and only a handful sent me verses. The lack of money doesn't help motivate rappers and I get it. So it's a combination of things but trying to round up 12-15 quality tracks isn't an easy task.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Jason, what do I keep saying to you?

rap is out of control.

:ironmike:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

oracle21

Post by oracle21 »

the first one was so excellent that I agree creating a second one with that same propensity would be so difficult. The 2nd one was good though but the first one was exemplary. Can someone up the first one. I have the cd in storage.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

If I had the zip I would. All I got are a few cd's :lol:

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Philaflava wrote:You're an exception, but it's very difficult to gather rappers, tracks and really do things properly the way it requires for an album. Sure you can send out a few S.O.S.'s and drum up some buzz. Just take Joe Budden for example, he got at everybody for that "feature" mixtape. Slug, Elzhi, your name here, and just about all the replies were positive. Last week Budden said he isn't doing the album now because he has no desire to chase people anymore. Rappers are a unique breed, let's just keep it at that.

Take a look at the yearly PF posse cut. Everybody wanted to get down and only a handful sent me verses. The lack of money doesn't help motivate rappers and I get it. So it's a combination of things but trying to round up 12-15 quality tracks isn't an easy task.
Well, if you can hook up some pretty good promo outlets, I'm pretty sure quite a few artists on here would be down. I've been involved in projects where even $50 would shut up a rapper to do something so, right there.....there's no debating. Second to that, anything thats promotional is damn near gold for artists these days....especially those who want to get more of viral presence online and etc. Just something to think about.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Put that AthenA chick over that "Look At Me Now" beat and let that girl cook.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

I admittedly never heard the first one, but I downloaded the second off of iTunes before I ever posted here. I always liked the comp and agree it's a great snapshot of indieground rap at the time.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Employee wrote:Put that AthenA chick over that "Look At Me Now" beat and let that girl cook.
One of the best female emcees that never was.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

ardamus wrote:
Philaflava wrote:You're an exception, but it's very difficult to gather rappers, tracks and really do things properly the way it requires for an album. Sure you can send out a few S.O.S.'s and drum up some buzz. Just take Joe Budden for example, he got at everybody for that "feature" mixtape. Slug, Elzhi, your name here, and just about all the replies were positive. Last week Budden said he isn't doing the album now because he has no desire to chase people anymore. Rappers are a unique breed, let's just keep it at that.

Well, if you can hook up some pretty good promo outlets, I'm pretty sure quite a few artists on here would be down. I've been involved in projects where even $50 would shut up a rapper to do something so, right there.....there's no debating. Second to that, anything thats promotional is damn near gold for artists these days....especially those who want to get more of viral presence online and etc. Just something to think about.
Ard - I'm sure I could get a lot of people to be "down." It's the follow thru and deadlines that is always the issue.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Philaflava wrote:
ardamus wrote:

Ard - I'm sure I could get a lot of people to be "down." It's the follow thru and deadlines that is always the issue.
Ah, true. That headache is never fun to have.

Jaz
Ease Up

Re: Revisited: "A League Of Our Own Vol. 2"

Post by Jaz »

Employee wrote:Image

This showed up in my iPod rotation this morning.
http://www.discogs.com/Various-Philafla ... se/2275995

It's been years since I have heard this Emp, I don't have either on anything anymore, a hook up would be great :cheers: