Aesop Rock - Skelethon

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

its hard to pick "the best" aesop album

they all have different vibes from one another to me

each on their own steez

with that said, None Shall Pass is probally the most well rounded, with a combination of all the elements from previous albums and adding something new as well

DLG

Post by DLG »

wouldn't doubt it, Aes loves Danny (nh) and Brown is a self-professed Def Jux fan as well

iCONtheMicKing

Post by iCONtheMicKing »

hell yes.
Internet Rapper - http://ipullrank.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Hair of the Dog wrote:
Employee wrote:Rumored Danny B. & Ace Rizz collabo on Skelethon.
for realsies or are you just playing?
It's real (the rumor is). It doesn't seem unrealistic either.

self

Post by self »

what employee just said

zombie

Post by zombie »

Brougham33 wrote:<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9tjK_ATiF5s?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9tjK_ATiF5s?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
this is not good.

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

zombie wrote:
Brougham33 wrote:<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/9tjK_ATiF5s?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/9tjK_ATiF5s?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
this is not good.
Yeah, good thing it's not an actual song with a beat and everything so it doesn't matter at all.
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

zombie

Post by zombie »

son, I wasnt talking about lack of a beat tho

SonnyCookout

Post by SonnyCookout »

My fav is still Labour Days
Last edited by SonnyCookout on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hair of the Dog

Post by Hair of the Dog »

of the albums mentioned.......None Shall Pass > Labor Days > Float > Bazooka Tooth .I think his production has come a long ways since Bazooka Tooth which was my biggest problem with that album.

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

samdoom wrote:
COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:Bazooka Tooth is Aesop's best record and the one where he made it clear he was on his own path. It's like the second season of the wire that way, confusing and annoying at first but then later you see how completely necessary it was.

Plus it had the best artwork, beats and rhyming.
:larry:

no way Bazooka Tooth is his best record. Also, pretty sure Aesop Rock was on his "own path" from the jump. Lastly, season 2 of the wire can't hang with seasons 1, 4 and arguably 3. all of this is imho, of course. :megaman:
The Wire analogy is a separate point. By being willing to jump to a totally different plot line and setting in season 2, the Wire showed that it was going for something more than what one might have imagined after the first season. It is not the best season, but it is the season that confused and disappointed me at first, then led me to weebay.gif once I realized what was really going on.

As an artist, it takes guts to hope your audience is willing to follow you somewhere totally different when they are satisfied with what you started out serving them.

As to Bazooka Tooth...if Aesop Rock had made another Labor Days type of record at that point, and I like LD a lot, but had he made another dark and muddy, depressed, navel-gazing, clinically depressed hip-hop mumblecore album...it still would have been good (cuz the boy can rap and gets good beats), but that would have been it for him. He would have Vinnie Paz'd himself or ended up looking like Cage, trying to push some pitifully transparent reset button on his career ten years down the road.

Instead he made a jarring, sparkly, everything-but-the-kitchen sink energizer battery of an album that alienated a bunch of his fans, who still to this day try and downplay a record that they never really gave a chance. But without BT, I don't think he ever would have come into his own as the type of artist he is now, who can pretty much do whatever he wants and we will be like, "oh aiite".

Nobody who was an AR fan was expecting BT to sound like that when it dropped. Not after Float and Labor Days and Daylight all kinda had the same vibe, ethos and general ambience.

You might not like the album very much (I think it's the shit) but that album is what separated him from a lot of his peers at the time and is part of why he is still a vital artist. A willingness to go against the grain, even when everything is going good and you could keep doing what you did the last time and everyone would love it.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Not saying I 100% agree with all of the above, but well said nonetheless.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Float is the best album Aesop Rock has dropped.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Employee wrote:Float is the best album Aesop Rock has dropped.
Didn't you say you never heard "None shall pass"? I think you should peep that shit.

self

Post by self »

Blockhead wrote:
Didn't you say you never heard "None shall pass"? I think you should peep that shit.

Dunnnnleavy

Post by Dunnnnleavy »

i never liked aesop rock until "none shall pass"
When people think of Providence, Rhode Island they typically think of organized crime

Rachel Hobozal
Saved By The Bellhop

Post by Rachel Hobozal »

zombie wrote:son, I wasnt talking about lack of a beat tho
In other words you're not an Aesop fan. Cool. Did you click on the wrong thread little buddy?
Gloss continues to funnel Kia's semen into his kike mouth.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

The Afronaut wrote:Not saying I 100% agree with all of the above, but well said nonetheless.
agreed. you definitely made some good points about his willingness to go against the grain, but I don't think that Labor Days and Float were that similar. I also think Fast Cars doesn't get as many mentions as it should, because that was a quality EP as well. I personally think BT is his weakest overall album, but I respect your point about it representing his willingness to change up his style, albeit a style that has always been, for the most part, entirely his own, regardless.

cormano

Post by cormano »

COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:
samdoom wrote:
COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:Bazooka Tooth is Aesop's best record and the one where he made it clear he was on his own path. It's like the second season of the wire that way, confusing and annoying at first but then later you see how completely necessary it was.

Plus it had the best artwork, beats and rhyming.
:larry:

no way Bazooka Tooth is his best record. Also, pretty sure Aesop Rock was on his "own path" from the jump. Lastly, season 2 of the wire can't hang with seasons 1, 4 and arguably 3. all of this is imho, of course. :megaman:
The Wire analogy is a separate point. By being willing to jump to a totally different plot line and setting in season 2, the Wire showed that it was going for something more than what one might have imagined after the first season. It is not the best season, but it is the season that confused and disappointed me at first, then led me to weebay.gif once I realized what was really going on.

As an artist, it takes guts to hope your audience is willing to follow you somewhere totally different when they are satisfied with what you started out serving them.

As to Bazooka Tooth...if Aesop Rock had made another Labor Days type of record at that point, and I like LD a lot, but had he made another dark and muddy, depressed, navel-gazing, clinically depressed hip-hop mumblecore album...it still would have been good (cuz the boy can rap and gets good beats), but that would have been it for him. He would have Vinnie Paz'd himself or ended up looking like Cage, trying to push some pitifully transparent reset button on his career ten years down the road.

Instead he made a jarring, sparkly, everything-but-the-kitchen sink energizer battery of an album that alienated a bunch of his fans, who still to this day try and downplay a record that they never really gave a chance. But without BT, I don't think he ever would have come into his own as the type of artist he is now, who can pretty much do whatever he wants and we will be like, "oh aiite".

Nobody who was an AR fan was expecting BT to sound like that when it dropped. Not after Float and Labor Days and Daylight all kinda had the same vibe, ethos and general ambience.

You might not like the album very much (I think it's the shit) but that album is what separated him from a lot of his peers at the time and is part of why he is still a vital artist. A willingness to go against the grain, even when everything is going good and you could keep doing what you did the last time and everyone would love it.
Post of the year.

zombie

Post by zombie »

Cleanhobo wrote:
In other words you're not an Aesop fan. Cool. Did you click on the wrong thread little buddy?
The conclusions you f*gs come to so quickly these days...

Nah, I'm a fan, just not of what I heard in that vid

sorry lil guy :(

RoKnew

Post by RoKnew »

zombie wrote:
Cleanhobo wrote:
The conclusions you f*gs come to so quickly these days...

Nah, I'm a fan, just not of what I heard in that vid

sorry lil guy :(
Serious question, what's with the self-censorship of "f*gs" and "f*ggot" earlier in this thread?

wuk

Post by wuk »

f*g f*ggot whoa cool it autocorrects
ryebread mixes. <--------download

zombie

Post by zombie »

i dont cuss its against my religion

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

:arrow:

gentlejones

Post by gentlejones »

RoKnew

Post by RoKnew »

wuk wrote:f*g f*ggot whoa cool it autocorrects
What the hell? What kinda shit is that?

Did Emp's fondness for the word get this site flagged as a hate group site or something?

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

gentlejones wrote:
I never fucking wrote that.

I RECANT
I RECANT
I RECANT

ogie

Post by ogie »

i can't believe its been 5 years since none shall pass came out. that's his best. bazooka tooth second. i hope there's more pirate songs on this.

Versive

Post by Versive »

^Agreed.

None Shall Pass
Bazooka Tooth
Labor Days
Float
Music for Earthworms

One of the only artists who gets better with each LP.

COOLEH is dead on about Bazooka Tooth. That album is what cemented him as one of my favorite rappers. I was a big fan of Labor Days and the Daylight EP, but that shit was nuke when it dropped. He'd hinted at the vibe a little bit on Bracket Basher from Daylight EP. For that matter, each of his EPs has served as a nice bridge between albums. But yeah, Bazooka Tooth killed everything.

None Shall Pass brought it back to life, killed it with greater percision, then raped it. And cemented him as one of my favorite producers.