Your Favorite Ice Cube Album

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

step one

Post by step one »

Lethal Injection isnt a bad album, its just not as good as the ones that came before it. The only thing Im not keen is that over long version of Bop Gun, otherwised its solid. Just had a lot of tough competition the year it dropped.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

thekeentwo wrote:
Blockhead wrote:I question the sanity of anyone who does not choose one of the first two albums. And, Keen, you know I love you like I love my dick size but "Lethal Injection" is a straight up bad album.

Personally, it's very close but I gotta go with DC over AMW by a hair.
bad? bad? really?

like ungood?

cockhead
cmon son
love u more boo boo
Yes. It's bad as in not at all good. I literally do not like a single song off that album. Cube fell off as a rapper and the recycled P-funk beat bullshit was the worst.

Freezy Pazzy

Post by Freezy Pazzy »

Philaflava wrote:And I know I sound like a broken record, but I truly believe no other rapper has had the type of back-to-back-back classics as Cube. These are flawless classics that are just far and away better than your average 90s or 00s "classic records." Not Nas, Jay, or for Escobar305, Rick Ross. Nobody has had the type of back-to-back-to-back classics like Cube as a SOLO artist.
Word.
And people gotta realize he was only 19 years old when he recorded "Amerikkka's most wanted"... 19 fuckin' years old... I see Rappers nowadays almost twice that age who still don't have a single classic LP in their catalog. That's crazy.

step one

Post by step one »

Freezy Pazzy wrote:people gotta realize he was only 19 years old when he recorded "Amerikkka's most wanted"... 19 fuckin' years old...
I was about 11 when it came out so it didnt seem like a big deal but looking back now thats crazy.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Didn't know he was 19. When you compare his debut to Tylers you kinda realize just how disposable todays music really is.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Philaflava wrote:Didn't know he was 19. When you compare his debut to Tylers you kinda realize just how disposable todays music really is.
:lol:

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

Freezy Pazzy wrote:
Philaflava wrote:And I know I sound like a broken record, but I truly believe no other rapper has had the type of back-to-back-back classics as Cube. These are flawless classics that are just far and away better than your average 90s or 00s "classic records." Not Nas, Jay, or for Escobar305, Rick Ross. Nobody has had the type of back-to-back-to-back classics like Cube as a SOLO artist.
Word.
And people gotta realize he was only 19 years old when he recorded "Amerikkka's most wanted"... 19 fuckin' years old... I see Rappers nowadays almost twice that age who still don't have a single classic LP in their catalog. That's crazy.
:ohsh: respect.

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

Philaflava wrote:
Escobar305 wrote:
kanye has
Never change who you are.
i'm not denying cube's run from being unfuckwitable but kanye's run from college dropout to graduation is damn near perfection.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Cube was 21 when AMW dropped and 20 when it was recorded(born in 1969). Not that it really makes a difference or anything, just being a factual nitpicker.

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

big dropped ready to die at 22 nas dropped illmatic at 21. both better albums

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Escobar305 wrote:big dropped ready to die at 22 nas dropped illmatic at 21. both better albums
Extremely debatable.

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

Escobar305 wrote:big dropped ready to die at 22 nas dropped illmatic at 21. both better albums
ready to die isnt even half as good as amerikkkas most wanted. gtfoh

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Huldrich Bullsh!t wrote:
ready to die isnt even half as good as amerikkkas most wanted OR Death Cert. gtfoh

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Illmatic
Death Certificate
Amerikka's Most Wanted
The Predator
Ready To Die

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I'd put Predator below Ready to die.

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

Ready to die and life after death >>>>> whatever else you can name folks

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

ROFLLLLLLLL

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

i like death certificate & ready to die both more than illmatic

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

DC is classic.......

Req

Post by Req »

Huldrich Bullsh!t wrote:
I know Escobar isn't winning any popularity contests around here but this statement is bollocks.
F.U. MOOLAH

Freezy Pazzy

Post by Freezy Pazzy »

Philaflava wrote:Didn't know he was 19. When you compare his debut to Tylers you kinda realize just how disposable todays music really is.
Blockhead wrote:Cube was 21 when AMW dropped and 20 when it was recorded(born in 1969). Not that it really makes a difference or anything, just being a factual nitpicker.
Yep, Blockhead is right, he was 20 during the recording process. Some songs were written when he was 19 though, because according to a dope article on Waxpoetics (Issue #41) and recently confirmed by Sam Sever (Which was supposed to submit tracks for AMW), Cube had tons of notebooks full of lyrics. Some were meant for Eazy-E, some for NWA's sophomore LP, and some for a then elusive solo LP.
But what I meant, and I totally agree with Gloss on this precise point, is the fact that I don't see ANY 20 years old artist right now which could compete lyrically with Cube at the same age.
"Death Certificate" dropped when he was 22... How many 22 years old rappers do you know that could write & conceptualize such an incredible piece of art? Personnally, I can't even answer that question.
This guy was more mature at 20 than most artists during their entire career.

Huldrich Bullsh!t

Post by Huldrich Bullsh!t »

Req wrote:
Huldrich Bullsh!t wrote:
I know Escobar isn't winning any popularity contests around here but this statement is bollocks.
im not a real biggie fan and think its very overrated

it starts out strong with the first tracks until ready 2 die but the second half is mostly filler. the what is great
respect is annoying, juicy me & my bitch big poppa are listenable but also very corny and i would be good without them.

suicidal thoughts is the worst Lord Finesse beat i've heard. its utterline boring and unbelievable is unbelievably unspectacular for a 94 Dj Premier beat. both aint wack but very underwhelming

its just a very overrated album by a rather overrated artist and can not seriously compare to Amerikkkas most wanted or Death Certificate

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

everything typed in that post is pretty crazy. suicidal thoughts is incredible. unbelievable is hype. juicy & big poppa are just "listenable"? lol

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

I respect the fuck out of AMW for what it is, but honestly rarely or never find myself in the mood to put it on. The lyricism is phenomenal but going just off of what I would prefer to listen to - DC.

step one

Post by step one »

Willing to bet Escboar hasnt actually heard AMW or DC and even if he had he'd still think Hypnotize and Big Poppa were better than anything Cube has ever been involved in ever because its on Bad Boy and they have mad gold and platinum plaques, yo!

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Willing to bet Escobar's first Cube album was his Greatest Hits.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Haven't listened to Lethal Injection in lord knows when. Might give it another shot (no pun intended).

chiefbombpro

Post by chiefbombpro »

Gotta go with DC, by a hair. His first three are top notch though. Best thing on LI is the intro and Really Doe.

Also, I'm willing to bet Escobar doesn't own any Cube albums.
Philaflava wrote:all these new blog rappers should be tasered on the regular.

Req

Post by Req »

Huldrich Bullsh!t wrote:unbelievably unspectacular for a 94 Dj Premier beat. both aint wack but very underwhelming
dude you cant be serious.

when that bassline drops and you hear LIVE FROM BEDFORD STUYVERSANT/ THE LIVEST ONE all you're thinking is "oh man, underwhelming"

srsly?
F.U. MOOLAH

Statikmatik

Post by Statikmatik »

In order

Amerikkkas Most Wanted
Predator
Kill at Will
Death Certificate
Lethal Injection....

That's where it stops for me