the Ka thread

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Kace

Post by Kace »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:
wuk wrote:This shit is very good in a cold, calculated killer Mobb Deep kind of way, but I can't help but wish the album had one or two bangers on there.
i feel like "chamber" and "born king" are of the banger variety.

the born king beat is craaaaazy to me. so many quotables too.
Word. I still wanna hear Ka on Roc Marc beats though...
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

there are already a few examples of him on roc marciano beats
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

I know it will just be me, but damn this album is short.

Still loving it, but it's short as fuck. Gimme 40 mins at least fam, that's all I ask.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

Verge

Post by Verge »

Already got the vinyl in the mail today, loving the album so far.

Carlito Roc

Post by Carlito Roc »

I treasure the album. As a big Mr. Voodoo fan, I've always been partial to NE, KA and Charlemagne.

Saw them all perform at shows from the beginning w Jay Smooth to the old open mics to Wetlands and beyond.

I have so much good to say about this shit, but the condensed version is that he captured an element of B.ville that hasnt been captured (and dont really want to compare rappers), but hasnt been captured imo since smooth and trigger dropped broken language. That was a MAJOR record for those of us in Eastern Brooklyn who were paying attention.

With respect to the Jeru's, Bootcamps etc..

the cd's only ten bucks or so..cop that shit.

I havent even opened my vinyl yet because i'll probably have the cd on repeat in the whip for a good month or two. It's been a while since i've had an album to rock like that.
TCK Krew. You know how we do..

http://tckonbroadway.podbean.com/

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Verge wrote:Already got the vinyl in the mail today, loving the album so far.
hit him up on twitter or something and tell him, he was asking around if people got it yet and how it sounded

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Carlito Roc wrote:I treasure the album. As a big Mr. Voodoo fan, I've always been partial to NE, KA and Charlemagne.

Saw them all perform at shows from the beginning w Jay Smooth to the old open mics to Wetlands and beyond.

I have so much good to say about this shit, but the condensed version is that he captured an element of B.ville that hasnt been captured (and dont really want to compare rappers), but hasnt been captured imo since smooth and trigger dropped broken language. That was a MAJOR record for those of us in Eastern Brooklyn who were paying attention.

With respect to the Jeru's, Bootcamps etc..

the cd's only ten bucks or so..cop that shit.

I havent even opened my vinyl yet because i'll probably have the cd on repeat in the whip for a good month or two. It's been a while since i've had an album to rock like that.
say fucking word.

THIS is that "i can outsmart/outhustle/outscam/outwit/outrhyme you in 13 different ways" type shit I want to hear from a New York MC. Smoothe and Trigger did this, and KA does it too.

I don't want to listen to rappers that proudly advertise an image where they are happy to seem stupider than everyone in their audience :rofl:

KA is on that level. It's nice to return there.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

This is pretty much all I've been listening to since it dropped. Great album.
I like it more than Marcberg, and that shit was dope.

Carlito Roc

Post by Carlito Roc »

Blockhead, exactly.
i really hate comparing rappers on forums because i feel it sometimes devalues one of the brands, but sometimes its just discussing two things that happen to be really good.

word mindbender, its the real deal and you put it in perspective as well.

Verge

Post by Verge »

drizzle wrote:
Verge wrote:Already got the vinyl in the mail today, loving the album so far.
hit him up on twitter or something and tell him, he was asking around if people got it yet and how it sounded
I just sent him an email, thanks. I've been playing this every day since i got it. Impressive album and really there's nothing it sounds too much like, mad original.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Blockhead wrote:I like it more than Marcberg, and that shit was dope.
:ohsh:

It's fucking great, but nah.

And though the comparison is totally warranted and inevitable, I think we should avoid it and let GP stand on its own merits.

Pretty much this:
Verge wrote:I've been playing this every day since i got it. Impressive album and really there's nothing it sounds too much like, mad original.

Carlito Roc

Post by Carlito Roc »

Versive wrote:

And though the comparison is totally warranted and inevitable, I think we should avoid it and let GP stand on its own merits.

Pretty much this:
Verge wrote:I've been playing this every day since i got it. Impressive album and really there's nothing it sounds too much like, mad original.
see this proves my point precisely. How do you agree something is great then devalue someones preference?

Blockheads comparison wasnt a versus debate just a point of reference for folks who havent heard it yet. Its basically saying the Barkleys AND the Jordans are dope. Roti AND Beef Patties are dope. Pizza AND pasta are dope.

We're all basically getting a musical fix from the same crop of drugs. You cant tell someone that their high isnt adequate. Its a very moody and brooding album which will affect us all very differently, but apparently in a good way.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

^Word. Personally, I Like KA as a rapper more. I dunno if I'd say he's "Better" but , to me, he's more interesting. Also, this album works like few others a a consistent piece. Marcberg did too..but this album just seems like it's completely own thing.

Regardless, both albums are great so whatever.

Dap

Post by Dap »

had this on repeat for the last week or so. i think he might be a better rapper than roc marc. just IMO. his verse on iron age is just crazy to me

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

The chorus on Iron Age is crazy too, it's probably become my favorite song on there. Dope hooks throughout the album honestly...something that's really hard to do in hip hop.

Odnet

Post by Odnet »

Mindbender Futurama wrote: I don't want to listen to rappers that proudly advertise an image where they are happy to seem stupider than everyone in their audience.
:cheers:

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

I think what sets them apart is that KA shows more range as a rapper as far as topics go. I prefer Marc because of the off the cuff, no-set-topic style myself.KA uses it as well but seems to say alot more with it. KA's music is very laid back and i personally need some tougher sounding shit at times. Both albums are great, along with Everything's Berri.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Carlito Roc wrote:
Versive wrote:

Pretty much this:
see this proves my point precisely. How do you agree something is great then devalue someones preference?

Blockheads comparison wasnt a versus debate just a point of reference for folks who havent heard it yet. Its basically saying the Barkleys AND the Jordans are dope. Roti AND Beef Patties are dope. Pizza AND pasta are dope.

We're all basically getting a musical fix from the same crop of drugs. You cant tell someone that their high isnt adequate. Its a very moody and brooding album which will affect us all very differently, but apparently in a good way.
Dog, all I said was 'nah' accompanied by the ohshit icon. I wasn't trying to devalue his preference.

Versive

Post by Versive »

However, I will say that Iron Age is one of my favorite tracks on this album. So many quotables...

Carlito Roc

Post by Carlito Roc »

Word man. He's a walking quote machine. Ive always dug that raspy ad lib in the background. Sometimes there are 3 voices.

Brings me back to the Redman - Reggie Noble school of recording.

I barely know the words to the songs since I haven't taken it out of the whip n haven't opened the vinyl. Aside from all the video songs and Born King of course.

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

Born King is my favorite shit ever.

Re: Ka vs Roc Marciano

Ka is more meticulous. You can tell he puts serious thought into each couplet, down to the pauses, and he never wastes a word. Although, I suspect he's in a creative zone right now where he doesn't have to think too hard to come up with dope shit.

Roc is more just stringing together multis until he stumbles upon something hot and then builds on that momentum.

Both styles are dope.

SpecialAFFEX

Post by SpecialAFFEX »

This album is ridiculous.

LOVE IT!

Spoke to the man himself and he's a super humble dude.

Don't know where else to post this, can't start a new topic or anything, but anyway...

the MARS joint (Mega, Action, Roc Marci, Saigon)

http://strettoblaster.blogspot.com.au/2 ... dirty.html

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

Dunno why but KA's music reminds me of Quelle Chris like hell. Maybe its the minimal style beats or the Roc Marci affiliation, But I gets the same vibe when I listen to their music.

Made a playlist called "Monday Grief" with Quelle's "Blue Monday" & "Shotgun & Sleek Rifle" and KA's "Iron Works" & "Grief Pedigree." Pretty Good listening.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Dope album, KA and Roc should do an album together.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Jaz wrote:Dope album, KA and Roc should do an album together.
Read the thread Jaz, already in the works. Group's called Metal Clergy.

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

So...just for the record...I'm alone in wishing this was 5-6 minutes longer?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:So...just for the record...I'm alone in wishing this was 5-6 minutes longer?
buy the vinyl, it has a bonus track and is thus about exactly that much longer

but otherwise, you are indeed the only person to complain about the length.

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

drizzle wrote:
COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:So...just for the record...I'm alone in wishing this was 5-6 minutes longer?

What's good with the bonus track?

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

drizzle wrote:

Word. Not even "complaining" so much as noting, there is short album (40-50 mins IMO) and then there is "EP", anything around or under 35 minutes.

For my personal taste, this is really flirting with being an EP. Still very, very dope regardless. We did an interview with the guy last week, looking forward to posting it.

I like short albums but somehow this leaves me just a little short of that full meal. Marcberg was short too but not this short.

wuk

Post by wuk »

dude needs to leak some acapellas i honestly think he'd sound good over some sparse, minimal but hard hitting shit. like i can't really listen to this in my car at all.
ryebread mixes. <--------download