zombie

Post by zombie »

also what is enya rap

hilarious labels

wuk

Post by wuk »

zombie wrote:
someone else talked about it, nobody posted the video... hahaha

you are umadding so hard right now. just relax buddy everything will be ok its for the people that didnt catch it on tv hueh
or for the people who didn't catch it THREE POSTS ABOVE YOURS
i'm sorry i just hate it when people are wrong on the internet
ryebread mixes. <--------download

myself

Post by myself »

I guess i spend way too much time on Twitter, since I know about all these guys performing with El-P from his tweets. Or maybe I just don't follow many people and get TMI from a select few. I still really have no idea who this Nick guy is outside of El-P tweeting him all the time and he is "Nick from islands". I think a couple years ago they were talking about doing a "band"/project together- before El-P went down to Atl to produce a couple tracks for Killer Mike's Adult Swim album with various producers. Same goes for his GF and some other guests/collaborators people were wondering about.

I was also amused by some twitter reactions by fans of some lesbian singer named "LP" who were disappointed to turn on Letterman and see some new hipster-hop band called El-P, the confusion over "that one guy in El-P talking about Maurice Sendak", and "El-P- the new Village People."

zombie

Post by zombie »

wuk wrote:
zombie wrote:
someone else talked about it, nobody posted the video... hahaha

you are umadding so hard right now. just relax buddy everything will be ok its for the people that didnt catch it on tv hueh
or for the people who didn't catch it THREE POSTS ABOVE YOURS
i'm sorry i just hate it when people are wrong on the internet
oh my bad

zombie

Post by zombie »

myself wrote:I was also amused by some twitter reactions by fans of some lesbian singer named "LP" who were disappointed to turn on Letterman and see some new hipster-hop band called El-P, the confusion over "that one guy in El-P talking about Maurice Sendak", and "El-P- the new Village People."
...:rofl:

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

wuk wrote:
DLG wrote:I like the album, it's good, but I think overall after this and El' new album I'm honestly a little disappointed with his production for the first time ever.

Sounds like he's hit a comfort zone with that super hard drums + synth style and it doesn't sound to me like he's taking that many chances anymore.

usually when El did production on a whole album ever beat had it's own very clear identity, for the first time I feel like some of the beats on both these albums sound similar to other ones on the album and kind of retread the same sonic ground.
I'm quoting this from the Mike thread because I think it is more applicable here, but I agree. I'm a fan of both albums, but my one criticism would be the lack of diversity in his current production. It seems like his last couple of albums had a wider spectrum of sounds used and they were better for it.

Maybe it's intentional and speaks to the subject matter a bit, but some of the brighter moments that juxtapose the dark are missing. It could also be a lack of sampling, but I don't really know how El makes beats anymore.

i disagree completely, these beats on both albums are layered as fuck, theres so much going on, you need to give it time for the sounds to settle in and try to listen to the details within the beats and lyrics too, this is how all his albums are, just give it time , they are still very new/fresh albums to the ear

DLG

Post by DLG »

Neuro wrote:
wuk wrote:
DLG wrote:I like the album, it's good, but I think overall after this and El' new album I'm honestly a little disappointed with his production for the first time ever.

Sounds like he's hit a comfort zone with that super hard drums + synth style and it doesn't sound to me like he's taking that many chances anymore.

usually when El did production on a whole album ever beat had it's own very clear identity, for the first time I feel like some of the beats on both these albums sound similar to other ones on the album and kind of retread the same sonic ground.
I'm quoting this from the Mike thread because I think it is more applicable here, but I agree. I'm a fan of both albums, but my one criticism would be the lack of diversity in his current production. It seems like his last couple of albums had a wider spectrum of sounds used and they were better for it.

Maybe it's intentional and speaks to the subject matter a bit, but some of the brighter moments that juxtapose the dark are missing. It could also be a lack of sampling, but I don't really know how El makes beats anymore.

i disagree completely, these beats on both albums are layered as fuck, theres so much going on, you need to give it time for the sounds to settle in and try to listen to the details within the beats and lyrics too, this is how all his albums are, just give it time , they are still very new/fresh albums to the ear
they are definitely layered, that's not my problem. to me they lack a variety of sounds, and having their own, very clear identity. go back to ISWYD and look at it song by song. just about every track has very different drums on it and lots of different, more unique drum patterns, not to mention that every song is it's own entity sonically.

both of these new albums are pretty uniform in terms of just having big, hard as fuck drums and bassy, dark synths.

I miss shit like "Up All Night" and "Dear Sirs" that have drum patterns that are bugged out and really unusual for hip hop.

zombie

Post by zombie »

i actually like the unison of the album. to me it doesnt sound all the same like people claim it to be, but it does all work together.

thats not to say iswyd didnt accomplish this, but it did jump from different beats throughout the album. it wasnt consistent. this album was.

i dont know, i guess i just enjoy the consistency of this album.

iswyd was definitely good too. two really good albums.

and i'd rather have two differently good albums than iswyd1 and iswyd2

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

DLG wrote: I miss shit like "Up All Night" and "Dear Sirs" that have drum patterns that are bugged out and really unusual for hip hop.

i still hear that sort of stuff in the new

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

Neuro wrote:
DLG wrote: I miss shit like "Up All Night" and "Dear Sirs" that have drum patterns that are bugged out and really unusual for hip hop.

i still hear that sort of stuff in the new
stay down is a great example

myself

Post by myself »

I didn't listen to anything at all until I got it today. Well, I heard Drones Over Brooklyn way back when. I didn't watch Letterman, listen to any streams, leaks, anything.

I'm surprised at my own reactions so far. "Stay Down" is probably my favorite song, though that will probably change after a few listens. I found the back half of the album more enjoyable for some reason, in general. For me personally El-P has actually been less accessible on each subsequent release. Maybe because I'm weird.

I really liked the first 2:38 of "oh Hail No." It would probably be my favorite song if it ended there.

zombie

Post by zombie »

myself wrote: For me personally El-P has actually been less accessible on each subsequent release. .
what are you even saying here

myself wrote: I really liked the first 2:38 of "oh Hail No." It would probably be my favorite song if it ended there.
2:38 to 3:40 was the best part of the song tho`~

Dap

Post by Dap »

zombie wrote:
myself wrote: For me personally El-P has actually been less accessible on each subsequent release. .

myself wrote: I really liked the first 2:38 of "oh Hail No." It would probably be my favorite song if it ended there.
:lol: fo realz

myself

Post by myself »

zombie wrote:

I don't know. I guess I thought the general attitude was that El's music has become easier to digest from ISWYD to present. Maybe I'm just way off in my perception. His music has always had that "requires multiple listens" type quality, where I think either people do and they eventually love it or they don't care to go through the trouble. Maybe I'm wrong.

It seems to me personally, what I'm saying, is that through all his recorded material since Co Flow days to the present, the earliest provoked the most immediate "I love this shit" reaction, and as his career progresses the more I find myself needing to really listen and listen to get hooked. It's happening though. On first listen today there was a lot of shit that was just "meh" but I came around to the point of listening to some shit over and over and never wanting it to stop.

myself

Post by myself »

Dap wrote:
zombie wrote:

:lol: fo realz
Yeah, I might agree in a couple days.

zombie

Post by zombie »

i understand completely what you're saying then now.

and i agree.

it took me a little bit to get into iswyd, and c4c is taking me longer, but as i come around to it i love it even more, for entrapping me.

same with the killer mike album. i hated it at first. now i really like it. i put it up there with the other albums released this year that i like the most.

The ILLatino

Post by The ILLatino »

after purposely avoiding the leaks, I've had a chance to sit with this album a couple of times since Tuesday... and it's fantastic.

Loving the drums, harsh synths, all that shit. He's completely mastered his sound and style, and it shows.
http://www.twitter.com/the_illatino

RIP Josh
Galvatron78 wrote:I wanna put my head up Irina's skirt and say a Das Efx verse.

mishk

Post by mishk »

The ILLatino wrote:after purposely avoiding the leaks, I've had a chance to sit with this album a couple of times since Tuesday... and it's fantastic.

Loving the drums, harsh synths, all that shit. He's completely mastered his sound and style, and it shows.
What he said. The production and mastering on this album is perfection

Truly fuckin masterful

myself

Post by myself »

It took me around 3 days, but this is definitely my favorite album since the last time El-P released an album. Actually, it's probably my favorite El-P album. And the first time I listened I wasn't enthused at all.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OZptOs8Gu9k?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OZptOs8Gu9k?ve ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Holy shit.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

That's probably my favorite El-P video ever. Great stuff.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chiefbombpro

Post by chiefbombpro »

VOTY!
Philaflava wrote:all these new blog rappers should be tasered on the regular.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

got both this album and Killer Mike's in the mail today on CD. worth the $20.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

I prefer R.A.P. Music on the speakers and Cancer4Cure in the headphones (nh).

zombie

Post by zombie »

that video is great

The ILLatino

Post by The ILLatino »

I'm with you, Emp. RAP Music bangs in the whip.
http://www.twitter.com/the_illatino

RIP Josh
Galvatron78 wrote:I wanna put my head up Irina's skirt and say a Das Efx verse.

zombie

Post by zombie »

i think agree with that statement too

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Vid's great, at this point El's album is getting a lot more spins than Killer Mike for me. The immediacy of Mike's album made it amazing on first listen, but it had the same problems his music's always had for me, too immediate, too in your face, not witty enough. Mike definitely maximized his abilities on the album and I understand why people love it, but there's quite a few albums that have more value to me this year.

El's usually been too far the other way (abstract) to me, but he keeps that intact on C4C while being more direct and accessible than ever.