Rap Books You Would Buy

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

B. Ware tha Siniq

Rap Books You Would Buy

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

Was thinking about rap journalism and writing recently and some of the books about rap that I've read and enjoyed over the years. Got me thinking about how many untold stories there are and how little really solid biographical and historical work has been done on specific artists, groups, movements, etc.

So...

What are some rap books you would pay if well researched and written?
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gurped Out

Post by Gurped Out »

If well researched and written I would buy books on the history of Queensbridge, Texas, New Orleans, Project Blowed/Goodlife, and the Bay Area. Thats just off the top though.

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

I really like the late 80's, early 90's groups out of NYC. Tribe, De La Soul, Brand Nubian, Jungle Brothers, Ultramagnetic MC's, etc. Would love to read more about that specific period and place in hip-hop.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Third Coast is pretty good with regards to the South in general. I haven't read the whole thing, and it's not exhaustive, but the sections on Atlanta/Dungeon Family are pretty solid. I know it covers NO and Texas, but I haven't read all of those parts. When I do I'll let you know what I think.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

I'd like to read specific histories of record labels like Rap-A-Lot or No Limit.

I'd also like a 'Yo! MTV Raps' book done in the style of that excellent 'I Want My MTV' book that came out last year.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

B. Ware tha Siniq

Yohan wrote:I really like the late 80's, early 90's groups out of NYC. Tribe, De La Soul, Brand Nubian, Jungle Brothers, Ultramagnetic MC's, etc. Would love to read more about that specific period and place in hip-hop.
Have you read Check The Technique? More specific to albums than the period specifically, but it covers most of those groups and their inception as well as the process of creating their "classic" albums (although I don't always agree on the author's selection of those albums, but that's all subjective).

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

I'd love a good book on the harlem scene specifically, something that ties in to both the music and the uptown culture in general. There's a whole world up there that goes overlooked, people forget anything exists above like 140th.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
Yohan wrote:I really like the late 80's, early 90's groups out of NYC. Tribe, De La Soul, Brand Nubian, Jungle Brothers, Ultramagnetic MC's, etc. Would love to read more about that specific period and place in hip-hop.
Have you read Check The Technique? More specific to albums than the period specifically, but it covers most of those groups and their inception as well as the process of creating their "classic" albums (although I don't always agree on the author's selection of those albums, but that's all subjective).
Yup, have it, read it, love it. I would love more material on those groups though. God knows they deserve it.

I'm also a fan of analyzing music. The shit Thun (rip) used to do at the Troy blog appealed to me, a young bork, who wasn't always hip to some things from that particular period of time.

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

drizzle wrote:I'd love a good book on the harlem scene specifically, something that ties in to both the music and the uptown culture in general. There's a whole world up there that goes overlooked, people forget anything exists above like 140th.
Good one. Would love to read that book. From Azie Faison and Pretty Tone Capone to Dipset. Idea is gold.

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

i've read J-Zone's book and "The Big Payback". Good reads. guess I need to look into the third coast.

shadowmaster

Post by shadowmaster »

I'd probably buy a book that had in depth interviews with rappers and producers who usually aren't covered in books, the ones who were more in the background.
Kool Keith: I wore a straw hat with a feather to the last Source Awards. When I got to Madison Square Garden everybody was looking at me. When I got back home I seen everybody and their mother in their video wearing a fuckinג€™ straw hat with a feather in it.

Tim Dog: ג€œWhat Kool Keith gonna wear? Iג€™m gonna do that shit in my video. Iג€™m gonna wear that shit really quick. Whatג€™s Tim Dog gonna wear?ג€

HomeSkillet

Post by HomeSkillet »

Speaking of what was that book on the Supreme Team? I forget the name but I read it and it was good, not necessarily straight hip hop because of the gang being the main subject matter but it was good. fuck it was like 8 or 10 years ago when I read it. I think some skinny jew boy wrote it.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

It would require crazy access (nh @ access), but a behind-the-scenes (nh @ behind-the-scenes) look at Aftermath would be ridiculously compelling (nh @ ridiculously compelling).

Obviously the success stories would be interesting for obvious reasons, but also knowing the stories of the artists who were signed and then shelved and the politics behind those decisions would be just as great.

PEACE

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

I find most hip hop-themed books to be limp-wristy.

Jeff Chang's was good. That 33 & 1/3 or series (or whatever the fuck it was called) was cool.

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

anybody read (no) mailice's book?

Reggie
Jennie C is a Fucking Asshole

Post by Reggie »

The most indispensable book about hip-hop's beginnings is Yes Yes Y'all by Charlie Ahearn. But I'd like to read a book or a decently long article about the novelty rap scene of the early 1980s.

Kiran187

Post by Kiran187 »

A history on Outkast and Organized Noize
A history on Roc-a-fella
An autobiography of Nas
Wu-Tang: The Early Years (93-98)

Kiran187

Post by Kiran187 »

peanut butter wrote:It would require crazy access (nh @ access), but a behind-the-scenes (nh @ behind-the-scenes) look at Aftermath would be ridiculously compelling (nh @ ridiculously compelling).

Obviously the success stories would be interesting for obvious reasons, but also knowing the stories of the artists who were signed and then shelved and the politics behind those decisions would be just as great.

PEACE
This would be ill.

Kiran187

Post by Kiran187 »

Escobar305 wrote:anybody read (no) mailice's book?
I read a couple exerpts online and it looked ok but I don't anybody who has read the entire thing. I just wonder how much is autobiographical of his life up to his conversion and how much is preaching, if any?

B. Ware tha Siniq

I think there should be a full on in-depth biography of MC Hammer.

Ma$e would be great too.

Rappers who make a ton of money and find god and then keep trying to come back are just fascinating to me in general, especially if they blow through like 20 million dollars in the process.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

drizzle wrote:I'd love a good book on the harlem scene specifically, something that ties in to both the music and the uptown culture in general. There's a whole world up there that goes overlooked, people forget anything exists above like 140th.
I don't think people that aren't from NY really appreciate the differences in culture between the uptown/bronx and brooklyn scenes imo. It is stark. A book needs to be written on this subject.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Gregg Popabitch wrote:
I don't think people that aren't from NY really appreciate the differences in culture between the uptown/bronx and brooklyn scenes imo. It is stark. A book needs to be written on this subject.
Yeah - a really good breakdown of the dynamics, nuances, rivalries between boroughs in NYC in general, and how they have played out in hip hop would be essential.

The whole Brooklyn vs. Uptown dynamic is something that I think very few who haven't lived in NYC understand. The way Queens is generally viewed by New Yorkers not from Queens, the dynamics between LI residents and 5 borough residents, the fact that Staten Island is like a little constipation produced turdlet. And Manhattan as a borough in general, Harlem and LES are very under documented in terms of their role, rappers, producers, etc.

panty_inspector

Post by panty_inspector »

wouldnt mind books on shit that the Founding Fathers doc talk about, queens and brooklyn sound system shit. I heard that DJ Plummer ended up a Unix hacker by the time flash and them were out.

also. id read a grandmixer dxt bio

panty_inspector

Post by panty_inspector »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:
yes

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

your life and hip hop brain is incomplete without reading THE BIG PAYBACK by DAN CHARNAS. :bow:

a godly b-boy book.

there are so many. RZA's two books are essential. the ' :wutang: Manual' is the best.

'Check the Technique' and 'Rakim Told Me' are obvious choices.

and honestly, people talk shit cause they don't know shit... but anyone who knows their shit knows that 'The Gospel of Hip-Hop' by KRS-One is a special document, and will stand the test of time

also don't sleep on 'From Pieces to Weight', cause that's 50 Cent's best book

the '50th Law' was alright, but not even near '48 Laws of Power' in terms of :copy:

rapping while reading is fun-(for)-da-mental :liljon:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

step one

Post by step one »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
and honestly, people talk shit cause they don't know shit... but anyone who knows their shit knows that 'The Gospel of Hip-Hop' by KRS-One is a special document, and will stand the test of time
This is possibly the most ridiculous book ever and its incredibly badly written.
I got given a copy as a present a few years ago and I couldnt make it past the first few pages.

Ronin Ro's book on Death Row is good from what I remember.
The Public Enemy biography 'Dont Rhyme For The Sake Of Riddlin' is worth a look aswell.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

step one wrote:
This is possibly the most ridiculous book ever and its incredibly badly written.
I got given a copy as a present a few years ago and I couldnt make it past the first few pages.

The Public Enemy biography 'Dont Rhyme For The Sake Of Riddlin' is worth a look aswell.
yes, and no fucking way.
it's obtuse. it's enormous. it's complex. but it's insightful and enlightened, as well. there are things i totally disagree with, but then there are things that are absolutely amazing and eternally wise. JUST LIKE THE HOLY BIBLE. KRS-One didn't fuck up. that's about as good as it needs to get for a hip hop religion book to begin.
he talks about how hip hop is based on LOVE, and love for the community you are born in, and how hip hop is a vehicle for you to empower yourself and others around you, with the elements of the culture of hip hop, and how this process of evolution is a religious experience.
if you don't get that, you don't fucking get hip hop, and you AREN'T hip hop. if you are a traitor to your community, then you are NOT hip hop, even if you are involved in the culture 24/7.
Haitian Jack isn't your homeboy.

i haven't read all the Gospel of Hip Hop, but I also haven't read all the Qu'ran, either. Both have things to teach, and things to avoid. Like all good books.

yeah, Ronin Ro's Death Row book is fuckin great. (he also wrote a pretty damn good book on Prince that I recommend, if you are into legends)

Biggie's book 'Unbelievable' is solid. that's the first place i read that Tupac Shakur was supposed to be the only guest on 'Ready to Die' :killacam:

Jay-Z 'Decoded', of course. it's half cop-out, half autobiography, half tutorial.

Jamie Lowe's 'Digging For Dirt' was hated on by lots of people, but it's kinda impressive in her outsider-trying-to-get-in approach to uncovering the truth about ODB. She speaks openly about the possible schizophrenia that Rusty might have suffered from, and gives details that few others have suggested were possible reasons why Osirus lost it when he was on Rocafella. I liked some of the book.

'Life and Def' by Russell Simmons is decent.

'50 x 50' is a great document of Curtis Jackson's rise. They have the original lyric sheet to 'Candy Shop', and it's crazy how it looks like pure chicken scratch, but 50 pushed it to what it became. Dude is bout it bout it.

Eminem's 'The Way I Am' is maybe the best Eminem document ever, to see into his mind. He doesn't tell his origin story much, but has other deep confessions. Also you see his rhyme writing process very clearly... it's crazy fragments moulded into the rap verses we hear. Shit is intrepid, gawd :cheers:

and those upcoming books by Nas and Common should be AMAZING.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

step one wrote:

yes, and no fucking way.
it's obtuse. it's enormous. it's complex. but it's insightful and enlightened, as well. there are things i totally disagree with, but then there are things that are absolutely amazing and eternally wise. JUST LIKE THE HOLY BIBLE. KRS-One didn't fuck up. that's about as good as it needs to get for a hip hop religion book to begin.
he talks about how hip hop is based on LOVE, and love for the community you are born in, and how hip hop is a vehicle for you to empower yourself and others around you, with the elements of the culture of hip hop, and how this process of evolution is a religious experience.
if you don't get that, you don't fucking get hip hop, and you AREN'T hip hop. if you are a traitor to your community, then you are NOT hip hop, even if you are involved in the culture 24/7.
KRS-One states in that book that anyone who is "true hip-hop" should participate in a day called "December 32nd," where for the final 12 hours before the new year, one shouldn't eat or drink anything and fast as a sacrifice to hip-hop.

I'll stick to my standard Catholic Bible, thank you. At least Proverbs reads like a Raekwon/Scarface collaboration.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

B. Ware tha Siniq

and thread got real.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:
KRS-One states in that book that anyone who is "true hip-hop" should participate in a day called "December 32nd," where for the final 12 hours before the new year, one shouldn't eat or drink anything and fast as a sacrifice to hip-hop.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo