Aesop Rock - Skelethon

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EzLu29eopIU?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EzLu29eopIU?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Cysed. Trying to avoid listening to these snippets though.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

shout out to anyone 35ish and not dressing like they are homeless
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Versive

Post by Versive »

battlecatmeowstab212 wrote:
DLG wrote:
Hair of the Dog wrote:
Versive wrote:None Shall Pass, Felt 3, around then.
I definitely noticed an improvement then, but I feel like Hail Mary Mallon and these snippets have been a step above
agree none shall pass was a pretty perfectly produced album, but it's mostly blockhead blacking out on that one.
This reminds me, how was that Aesop produced Murs ep?
? I never even heard of this. Somebody clue me in.

ric

Post by ric »

capable_keL wrote:shout out to anyone 35ish and not dressing like they are homeless
HAHAHA

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

blockhead on point about that zzztop joint

:bow:

DLG

Post by DLG »

capable_keL wrote:shout out to anyone 35ish and not dressing like they are homeless

zombie

Post by zombie »

looks like josh brolin post chemotherapy

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Noz complaining about that Underground list and mentioning his favorite Aes album is Appleseed made me revisit it. I forget cause his sound seems to always change production/delivery every album, but his lyrics and whole style were fully developed even back then, it is kind of scary that he put that shit out when he was so young. Also forgot that he pretty much produced everything on there. Although I think my two favorite tracks on there 1000 deaths and Sick Friend were done by Block and Omega One.

DLG

Post by DLG »

i listen to appleseed and float a lot more regularly than labor days and bazooka tooth

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

DLG wrote:
:lol: He doesn't look homeless though. Whigz always got a place to stay.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

DLG wrote:i listen to appleseed and float a lot more regularly than labor days and bazooka tooth
go back to 2002

DLG

Post by DLG »

burn sauce

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

that's right, blocky

a homeless guy wouldn't wear a game worn christian laettner throwback. the census says i'm the head of a black household and my fellow whites cheer whigga.

what type of whigga would listen to aesop?

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

capable_keL wrote:
what type of whigga would listen to aesop?
A strange one?

It's all good Kel, I know you're the last true whigga alive (Chump Change might disagree but he's to busy at war).

That laettner Jersey though....

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

thanks homie

i even got a pair of sandals now, wear 'em around the house. we all just people

sun ra
Wifey Material

Post by sun ra »

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/lNJ9 ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/v/lNJ9 ... 3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

is all I've been waiting for.

Versive

Post by Versive »

I guess a lot of people really enjoy hip-hop artists sitting down and discussing their songs and the meanings behind them and all that -- Aesop's doing it in these vids; el did it in that magazine article that came out right around when C4C dropped; young god of BSBD does it to a lesser extent on this forum -- but personally, I prefer when artists say absolutely nothing about the songs, except maybe for literal facts, i.e. "we recorded this here on this date with these people, etc." like the kind of shit we get in those Complex magazine retrospectives.

Hearing about the meaning of a song before you listen to an album is like hearing about the meaning of a book before you read it. It takes away from the overall enjoyment.

Plus, when an artist says "this is what this means, this is exactly what I was talking about" it leaves less room for personal interpretation. Of course, you can think somethign means whatever you want, but you're less likely to look at something in a new, different way when the meaning is already spelled out for you. The whole point of listening to music, reading a book, looking at a painting, etc. is to experience and figure it out and enjoy it in your own way.

I'm all for artists engaging their fans and all that, but I'm purposely not watching these videos.

sun ra
Wifey Material

Post by sun ra »

Versive wrote:I guess a lot of people really enjoy hip-hop artists sitting down and discussing their songs and the meanings behind them and all that -- Aesop's doing it in these vids; el did it in that magazine article that came out right around when C4C dropped; young god of BSBD does it to a lesser extent on this forum -- but personally, I prefer when artists say absolutely nothing about the songs, except maybe for literal facts, i.e. "we recorded this here on this date with these people, etc." like the kind of shit we get in those Complex magazine retrospectives.

Hearing about the meaning of a song before you listen to an album is like hearing about the meaning of a book before you read it. It takes away from the overall enjoyment.

Plus, when an artist says "this is what this means, this is exactly what I was talking about" it leaves less room for personal interpretation. Of course, you can think somethign means whatever you want, but you're less likely to look at something in a new, different way when the meaning is already spelled out for you. The whole point of listening to music, reading a book, looking at a painting, etc. is to experience and figure it out and enjoy it in your own way.

I'm all for artists engaging their fans and all that, but I'm purposely not watching these videos.
Are you sure?

Meaning insists on getting in the way, it's a kind of pollution of deep felt experience. We all think we want to know that meaning but that's just another surface ;)
For instance - you can meet someone and fall in love with them and spend your time finding the meaning, or spend your time feeling it deeply.. they are very different.. Good art is like a lover that blows you away.

I tend to not examine the artist's intentions so closely and contemplate my own response more, but everyone should believe in his own sensibilities. Continually examining an artist's intentions through an already biased lens is a waste of time.. If more people would trust the eccentricity of their personal-taste, art and everything it involves could be a lot more interesting.

I remember when None Shall Pass came out and all the hate. I think he did good with these videos - most of his listeners are too dumb anyway to get the meaning, and some of them don't even have the patience to play a 30 sec song and they start judging.

That beat is ill. Will cop this right away.

Versive

Post by Versive »

sun ra wrote:
Versive wrote:I guess a lot of people really enjoy hip-hop artists sitting down and discussing their songs and the meanings behind them and all that -- Aesop's doing it in these vids; el did it in that magazine article that came out right around when C4C dropped; young god of BSBD does it to a lesser extent on this forum -- but personally, I prefer when artists say absolutely nothing about the songs, except maybe for literal facts, i.e. "we recorded this here on this date with these people, etc." like the kind of shit we get in those Complex magazine retrospectives.

Are you sure?

Meaning insists on getting in the way, it's a kind of pollution of deep felt experience. We all think we want to know that meaning but that's just another surface ;)
For instance - you can meet someone and fall in love with them and spend your time finding the meaning, or spend your time feeling it deeply.. they are very different.. Good art is like a lover that blows you away.

I tend to not examine the artist's intentions so closely and contemplate my own response more, but everyone should believe in his own sensibilities. Continually examining an artist's intentions through an already biased lens is a waste of time.. If more people would trust the eccentricity of their personal-taste, art and everything it involves could be a lot more interesting.

I remember when None Shall Pass came out and all the hate. I think he did good with these videos - most of his listeners are too dumb anyway to get the meaning, and some of them don't even have the patience to play a 30 sec song and they start judging.

That beat is ill. Will cop this right away.
:lol: Not the response I expected. I'm not saying all I do is sit around studying music, trying to figure out what it means. That's why I also said experience and enjoy it in your own way. Personally, I like to listen to aesop rock while naked, drinking warm diet cokes and mowing the lawn on a cold winter morning.

I totally agree with the emboldened part. That's more or less why I don't watch/read these types of things. Fuck the artist's intentions.

Thread is now officially art school. Hi.

sun ra
Wifey Material

Post by sun ra »

Versive wrote:I'm not saying all I do is sit around studying music, trying to figure out what it means.
I did that for quite too long.. and some music/art requires more involvement than mere imagination, and of course, there is a larger meta world about art/music than the world of art istelf. Now I can't help but suspend thoughts and aesthetics and thinking about my own stuff.
Versive wrote:Fuck the artist's intentions.
You wouldn't talk like that if you weren't in the audience now.

Ok, I'm better off here, before Employee gets in. :lol:

sun ra
Wifey Material

Post by sun ra »

Brougham33 wrote:<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EzLu29eopIU?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EzLu29eopIU?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Cysed. Trying to avoid listening to these snippets though.
:ohsh:

Versive

Post by Versive »

sun ra wrote:
Versive wrote:Fuck the artist's intentions.
You wouldn't talk like that if you weren't in the audience now.
Fair enough. I might though.

DLG

Post by DLG »

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

DAAAAAAAMN
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

DLG

Post by DLG »

here's a youtube embed

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KZvE7dQ-C5o?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KZvE7dQ-C5o?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

honestly, the video is cool for what it is, but the fact that the song itself has such a cool story that has nothing to do with what's going on in the video seems like a missed opportunity to me.

plus I hate trying to listen to the lyrics and getting interrupted by a karate chop sound effect.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

lolololol there's a song in this?
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude

Post by Dat_Triflin_Ass_Dude »

DLG wrote:
honestly, the video is cool for what it is, but the fact that the song itself has such a cool story that has nothing to do with what's going on in the video seems like a missed opportunity to me.

plus I hate trying to listen to the lyrics and getting interrupted by a karate chop sound effect.
u were listening to the lyrics?

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

DLG wrote:here's a youtube embed

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KZvE7dQ-C5o?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KZvE7dQ-C5o?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

There are elements of truth to this
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KdAArKxB0eI?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KdAArKxB0eI?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>