The All-Inclusive Odd Future Thread + Music

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

starks

Post by starks »

DLG wrote:just noticed that in his verse on "Oldie" frank says "I'm high and I'm bi, wait I mean I'm straight"
and later "down in Muscle Beach pumping iron and bone" lol

DLG

Post by DLG »

<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-9acXZHROQE?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-9acXZHROQE?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

starks wrote:
DLG wrote:just noticed that in his verse on "Oldie" frank says "I'm high and I'm bi, wait I mean I'm straight"
and later "down in Muscle Beach pumping iron and bone" lol
he's got a line on "i believe" about marriage not being between a man and woman but between love and love

i know....

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

feeling both those frank songs from channel orange posted.

so did this shit leak?

all the songs appear to be on youtube already

DLG

Post by DLG »

it's available on itunes since last night I think so it probably leaked

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Earls verse sounds a little out of place, flows nice, but it sounds like he's trying something different w/ the delivery, not sure I like it.

Apathwhy

Post by Apathwhy »

album is so fucking good. gonna bump it for awhile.

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

yeah this is real good

a worthy nostalgia follow up

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

I hope this comes out :pause: on orange wax.

AXEWOUNDFISTER
OG FISTOLA

Post by AXEWOUNDFISTER »

DaBonks

Post by DaBonks »

This is really amazing.
Pink Matter is so good, maybe my song of the year atm.

Generally the songs individually are not stronger than neither Novacane nor Swim Good for me, but as a whole it is much better than Nostalgia, ULTRA.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Both those guest verses are pretty dope to me. Andre 3000 is pretty much the only rapper alive who can make some soft ass girl rap listenable.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

This album is fucking amazing.

Bad Religion is absolutely outstanding.

Guun

Post by Guun »

DaBonks wrote:Generally the songs individually are not stronger than neither Novacane nor Swim Good for me, but as a whole it is much better than Nostalgia, ULTRA.
Definitely agree with this.. early favorites are Crack Rock and Lost..

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:This album is fucking amazing.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Guun wrote:
DaBonks wrote:Generally the songs individually are not stronger than neither Novacane nor Swim Good for me, but as a whole it is much better than Nostalgia, ULTRA.
Definitely agree with this.. early favorites are Crack Rock and Lost..
yeah, i cosign this sentiment somewhat. None of the songs on this album is better than novacane but this album....fuck.

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

pitchfork review : 9.5

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/168 ... el-orange/
Frank Ocean is airborne, looking around, taking it all in. "Up above the birds, I saw the sky like I never seen before," he whispers on his major-label debut, Channel Orange, as avian chirps surround him. "You thought I was above you." The 24-year-old has quickly proven himself to be among the most gifted singer-songwriters of his generation; he's got the type of voice, wit, charm, smarts, and ineffable humanity that's always hoped for, but never promised. And he's got every reason to think he's above the vividly realized lost souls that slouch, preen, and weep throughout his album. But that's not how Frank Ocean works. His lofty gaze is powerful, but not all-powerful. "What's a god to a non-believer who don't believe in anything?" he sang on Watch the Throne's "No Church in the Wild". He's so good at questioning that answers can't help but bubble up in the wake of his words.

Along with Ocean's empathy for his characters is a sense of repose-- he's been there, he's weathered it, and he's come away with his Zen-like calm intact. On Channel Orange, this serene deadpan is splashed with crackling emotion, as though he's alternately narrating and starring in his own Magnolia-style cross-wired-heartbreak epic. It's all there on proper opener "Thinkin Bout You", where he battles his own brain while reminiscing about a first love. He tells himself white lies in the verse before flipping to a falsetto that could make D'Angelo sweat for the endless wound of a chorus: "Do you not think so far ahead?/ Cause I've been thinkin bout forever."

When Ocean dropped an early take of "Thinkin Bout You" on his Tumblr last summer, it was quickly followed by a version from perfectly competent Roc Nation signee Bridget Kelly, who claimed Ocean originally wrote the song for her. The fact that Ocean's take dwarfs Kelly's both artistically as well as in terms of popularity is telling. After languishing as a behind-the-scenes writer for pop stars including Brandy, John Legend, and Justin Bieber, with "Thinkin Bout You" Ocean doubled down on the out-of-nowhere success of his unique and brilliant 2011 mixtape, Nostalgia, Ultra., marking his territory as a performer in his own right. And while he's now primarily writing songs for himself, his time toiling in L.A. studios gave him the experience to create a piece as accomplished and varied as Channel Orange, which swings from Stevie-style keyboard breeziness to 1990s bap&B to mystic psych rock to crunching 8-bit funk without thinking twice.

The "Thinkin Bout You" mix-up was telling for another reason, too. As written, it's by-and-large a unisex composition, and the line, "my eyes don't shed tears, but boy they pour when I'm thinkin bout you," didn't seem especially revealing since Ocean wrote the song for a woman. In light of the letter he published earlier this month, in which he stated that his first love, at age 19, was with a man, that line-- and others on the album-- gains some personal and historical context. For a culture that accurately prides itself on sonic progression, hip-hop and R&B can be woefully conservative when it comes to sexuality. This is changing, and Frank Ocean is helping it to change, and if his revelation inspires others to understand themselves or the world more fully, then that could be one of Channel Orange's finest legacies. But it will not be album's only legacy.

Aside from its bravery, Ocean's letter was, in itself, stunningly written. Its beautiful ambiguities had people reacting with sensational headlines, and then amending those sensational headlines, and then thinking about how and why they personally reacted to such sensational headlines. More questions; more answers. After realizing he was in love with a man, Ocean "reminisced about the sentimental songs I enjoyed when I was a teenager. the ones I played when I experienced a girlfriend for the first time. I realized they were written in a language I did not speak." And, whether consciously or not, Channel Orange's language is admirably-- and skillfully-- inclusive. Rather than getting listeners to comb through the lyrics for certain words or references, Ocean mixes things up so well-- and coats the entire affair with heavy doses of disorienting surreality-- that petty pronoun policing is rendered completely useless as deeper meanings reveal themselves at the same time.

While pop is currently in the golden age of exacting self-reflection-- an often beguiling phenomenon spurred on by the internet's infinite mirror-- Ocean is interested in a more selfless pursuit. "As a lifestyle, you always being the focal point is innately unhealthy," Ocean recently told The New York Times. "I like the anonymity that directors can have about their films. Even though it's my voice, I'm a storyteller." Those tales are as wide-ranging as they are engrossing, always benefitting from Ocean's eye for detail and specificity. There are sly California class observations in the vein of Joan Didion or Randy Newman, where latchkey "Super Rich Kids" can't see past their own one-percent "Sweet Life". But once again, Ocean isn't just sniping easy targets; "why see the world when you got the beach?" he asks, a Rorschach test of a hook that leaves its levels of bliss or cynicism wholly up to the listener.

There are plenty of the addicts on the back half of the album: the fiend at the center of "Crack Rock" whose family "stopped inviting you to things" and "won't let you hold their infant," or the poisoned relationship between a dealer and his mule on "Lost". On the record's most harrowing cut, "Bad Religion", Ocean is crippled by love and left searching for life's answers in the back of a cab-- the string-bleeding ballad finds the singer offering his most impassioned plea yet: "This unrequited love/ To me it's nothing but a one man cult and cyanide in my styrofoam cup/ I could never make him love me."

While Channel Orange is stuffed with one-of-a-kind details and characters, its overall scope is grand, as is Ocean's. Tape-hiss interludes bind these very hi-fi songs together with a musty analog quality, and a couple of tracks seem to end mid-sentence, leaving you no choice but to keep going. And there's a timeless philosophy involved here, one of hard-won acceptance and the acknowledgement that love and sex and loss will always draw legends to them. How else to explain "Pyramids", a 10-minute time warp that goes from ancient Egyptian wonders to modern strip clubs and essentially reincarnates one of the most storied female rulers in history as a six-inch-heeled woman of the night. But still, the song doesn't read as an indictment of the last 2,000 years as much as yet another attempt to cleverly level the playing field.

"holding my head. keeping it g [...] whatever 'keeping it g' means to me. i've sorta zoned in on my own definition." Frank wrote that on December 27, 2011-- the same day he wrote the "first love" letter he published last week. Both missives, along with Channel Orange itself, carry the same spirit of confident, open-minded redefinition; he's living in his own world, but also fascinated with what's around him. Currently, his Twitter bio reads: "i don't know anything. & neither do you." In Frank Ocean-speak, that's not a statement of ignorance but rather one of wisdom.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

yeah this album pretty good. "Crack Rock", "Super Rich Kids", and "Pyramids" are my joints so far.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

wuk

Post by wuk »

Blockhead wrote:Both those guest verses are pretty dope to me. Andre 3000 is pretty much the only rapper alive who can make some soft ass girl rap listenable.
will andre just make a fucking rap album already
ryebread mixes. <--------download

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Frank Ocean got muthafuckas talkin' now.
http://www.sohh.com/2012/07/slaughterho ... _59_r.html
Last edited by ardamus on Thu Jul 12, 2012 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DaBonks

Post by DaBonks »

wuk wrote:
Blockhead wrote:Both those guest verses are pretty dope to me. Andre 3000 is pretty much the only rapper alive who can make some soft ass girl rap listenable.
will andre just make a fucking rap album already
This.

And also, did y'all hear about Andre stopping Big Boi from being on Pink Matter too? I would normally be mad, but that track wouldn't benefit from a verse from Mr. Left Foot. Something about Dre not wanting an Outkast record on somebody else's album. That's a fine explanation, if they would make some damn Outkast records for them self!

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

^^^
wasn't there an issue with big boi even being able to put songs he did with andre on his own album? record label reasons.

they probably wouldn't allow them to appear on the same tracks outside of whichever label owns outkast.

DLG

Post by DLG »

Rapper Lil Scrappy believes gay men like Frank Ocean are the "doorway to AIDS"
best quote ever

ape9

Post by ape9 »

Frank's album is way dope. goes hard.. (No Ocean)

Kace

Post by Kace »

From what I've heard so far, really great album.

But why do so many people think the song "Bad Religion" is about the unrequited love of an actual man?

Didn't Frank Ocean already 'come out' for his atheism earlier in songs like No Church In The Wild?
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

Dids

Post by Dids »

ardamus wrote:Frank Ocean got muthafuckas talkin' now.
http://www.sohh.com/2012/07/slaughterho ... _59_r.html
And for the first time ever SOHH's comments are nearly indistinguishable from breitbart.com.

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

DLG wrote:<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-9acXZHROQE?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-9acXZHROQE?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
DOPE

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

no word on the release date

GhostDog

Post by GhostDog »

Frank's new album is pure fire. Dope as hell. Not sure if I'll hear a better R&B album this year.

I agree that there's not a really a "Swim Good", but overall, I think this better than Ultra.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Balzac wrote:no word on the release date

:cheers:

Hodgy is that dude. Got the right idea for doing this shit.