G-Side Calls It Quits

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

B. Ware tha Siniq

Re: G-Side Calls It Quits

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

Balkongen Loungin' wrote:I read somewhere that most of the Euro-pop/rave Jackie samples is stuff that's on his label Universal, which is why he can get away with rapping over taTu, Scatman John etc.
possible... but he's also not putting those out on projects he's trying to sell. They could get him for touring or building his buzz off of it at some point, but they probably wouldn't do that until he's bigtime anyway. But if that work is under the Universal umbrella maybe that makes it easier for him. I know he said in my interview with him that "Yeah Dats Me" was originally his song, but he gave it back to Krit because Krit could get it cleared easier on Def Jam than he could on Universal. Not one of my favorite Krit beats so that's probably not bad anyway given that Krit is going to give him a replacement track in exchange.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote:
Larry2times wrote:
B. Ware tha Siniq wrote::leon:
Agree with most of what Drizzle said there too but wanna note Yelawolf and Burn One are most of what make the two H.I. highlights (My Aura & Whos Hood) great to me. Not to discredit BB combining Triggaman and Ahmad Jamal on the latter, which was was inspired

I was agreeing with The Artist Formerly Known as IDAL on Jackie Chain. I respect the appreciation of H.I., but was always more of a Starshipz & Rocketz guy myself.
As was I. teamaznslater

Im especially pro-Jackie cos his fondness for rapping over euro trance standards means he a chance of blowing up in my country and I might get to see a rapping irl thats not Wu/rhythmless caucasians/rawkus also rans

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

did you mean to type "raping"?

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

I was gonna blame it on a classic typo faux pas but I wouldnt put it past most these headspinning, begoatteed ofays that they cant stop, wont stop. I know for a fact OG rawkus also ran El P is pro mouth rape.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Larry2times wrote:
Tommy Bunz wrote:Starships and Rockets was leaps better than anything else they ever did.
Definitely - Strictly Business, G SIDER & Swangin >>>> any of their later shit. Their pre-hype debuts slept on too.
My favorite BB/GSide song

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

first st single from the ep is up now

http://st2lettaz.bandcamp.com/
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

upon first inspection of this single,

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Songs cool

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

I like it. Like that he's doing something different - from G-Side material - even if it's the same something different a lot of others are doing this year.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

point blank

Post by point blank »

going to the show tues...kinda hoping Deniro fills in for the G-Side songs

BadLT

Post by BadLT »

B. Ware tha Siniq wrote: even if it's the same something different a lot of others are doing this year.
Exactly. After the BTNH tribute you can expect a Memphis nod, on the 8Ball & MJG tip.

illuminati_guy

Post by illuminati_guy »

DLG

Post by DLG »

free post

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

that didn't last long

http://www.npr.org/blogs/MicrophoneChec ... a-new-song
For about five years, we at NPR Music have been listening to G-Side, a rap duo from Huntsville, Ala., and the group's in-house production pair the Block Beattaz. Some of us rocked 2008's Starshipz & Rocketz until the tape popped, reveling in the sequined sound and mostly level-headed lyrics that alternate between the gruff and drawled deliveries favored by Clova and ST 2 Lettaz, respectively. We followed the four core musicians and their crew of contributors (collected under the Slow Motion Soundz umbrella) as they worked in various iterations and guested throughout the south, making songs that use tried-and-true materials to arrive at deliriously odd destinations. They're like your loony great aunt who still mixes patterns better than anyone else you know. One of the Block Beattaz made "," which flipped Weezer's "," and ST stole the show on G-Mane's "," which itself lifts 8Ball & MJG's "."
G-Side performs at SXSW.

They kept getting better, and finding wider audiences. In 2010 we booked them for the party we put on every year at SXSW, and . We've , their songs and . And then, last September, after eight years of moving closer to the mainstream, G-Side abruptly broke up.

Over the next 13 months, all parties stayed active. ST dropped an EP almost immediately after the breakup and an album later in the winter. Clova formed a new collective that released 100 songs in 25 days last fall and put out a mixtape this spring.

Last week, just as suddenly, we heard from the group's manager, Codie G. G-Side was back together, putting in time in the studio. A new album, called Gz to Godz, is being prepared for early next year.

In a phone call from Area 51 Studios in Huntsville, Clova and ST describe the fracture of their bond as something personal — it wasn't a business decision. ST's words are: "We were both growing, and we went and tried to find our own identities as men, just in the world." Codie G sounds understanding when he talks about this time. "They both tried solo careers," he says. "Any artist would want to do that, I guess." Nobody blew up.

"There was never a big fallout or a fight," ST says. "It was always copacetic." So copacetic that they were still calling each other on their birthdays, only five days apart, late last month. "In that vibe," he says, "we just got to talking." Those conversations led to a question from Clova: "You ready to clock back in?" When ST responded in the affirmative, "it was all daps and hugs," he says. That evening they wrote "Forever." Two weeks later, here it is.
Listen: G-Side, 'Forever'
Cover for Forever

Artist: G-Side

The song sounds different from older G-Side/Block Beattaz songs. It's choppier and more metallic, and the throttle is open wider. It's still out there, though, opening with almost a minute of Leonardo DiCaprio in The Beach. This was on purpose. "It can't be familiar to anything that you're hearing right now," says ST. "I think the music that comes out this time is gonna be a lot doper. It's gonna be little bit more creative, because we both kind of found out who we were as men and as artists. So we get in there and we talk the records out more than we used to."

I asked G-Side how their coworkers reacted to the news of the reunion. "I think he was more happy than we was, for real," says Clova about CP, one half of the Block Beattaz. "Felt like he was getting his child back, like your child been at a detention center for like a year-and-a-half and now your child coming back home." And I asked about their families. "My mom found out today," says Clova. "She called me crying, she was so happy."

"G-Side is definitely a family business. It was moms, dads, uncles, cousins, sisters, brothers, everybody is what made it happen," says ST. "Before MTV and before overseas, and before all of that, it was home. And I think that's what I missed most about being in the group, is it was like being away from home. Being away from the house you get homesick."

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

Full new album streaming here

01. ‘Resurrection’ – 0:01
02. ‘G Side Back’ – 0:56
03. ‘Statue’ – 2:26
04. ‘I Do’ Ft Mic Strange – 6:02
05. ’2004′ Ft Joi Tiffany (Keys by Branson Edwards) – 10:42
06. ‘Dead Fresh’ Ft Kristmas & Grilly (Co-Produced By StackTrace) – 15:01
07. ‘Higher’ Ft Joi Tiffany (Keys by Branson Edwards) – 19:11
08. ‘Bassheadz’ Ft G Mane (Co Produced by Blaque) – 22:44
09. ‘Gold’ Ft Ink – 27:41
10. ‘In Luv With Jhene Aiko’ – 32:10
11. ‘Elbow Smash’ – 36:11
12. ‘Muffins’ – 40:20
13. ’1 Thing’ – 44:40
14. ‘Create’ Ft Codie Global – 47:20
Last Words – 51:47

Kinda like it more than their last 2. It's more consistent and more relaxed and they don't rap about going to europe on every verse, and doesn't get as bad as the low points of white borks on the hooks. Only 2 songs I straight up don't like really, gold and the jhene aiko one. Bassheadz is my shit.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Dope.

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

pumped to hear this. did block beataz do all the production?
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

probably. but then again block beattaz is a group of about 10 dudes so there's no real consistent sound with them,

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Loving this. Beats are smooth as hell.

DLG

Post by DLG »

loving it so far.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

the dead poet wrote:pumped to hear this. did block beataz do all the production?
yes they did

sleazy is right about BBz being a bunch of dudes, but whenever you see 'produced by The Block Beattaz', especially with GSide, that means everything gets finalized/reworked/mixed by Mali and CP before it goes out, even if they didn't make the beat originally. And those are the two guys who started it originally and made that name.

btw listening to this, you realize how far down at the bottom of the barrel was the stuff that Stalley picked from them. the one really great block beattaz beat he picked was already a g-side song 3 years prior

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

2004 tho

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Nice. Gonna peep this.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

drizzle wrote:btw listening to this, you realize how far down at the bottom of the barrel was the stuff that Stalley picked from them. the one really great block beattaz beat he picked was already a g-side song 3 years prior
That shit wouldve been complete sacrilege without 'Face. All them extra flourishes and shit singers was pure Kanye dib dabbin

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

oh i see so no one was going to tell me that 2 lettaz put out a new ep TWO FUCKING WEEKS AGO....haha.

https://soundcloud.com/bloglin/sets/st-2-lettaz-good-day-in-the-ghetto
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;