Aesop Rock - Skelethon

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Neuro

Re: Aesop Rock - Skelethon

Post by Neuro »

i wouldnt mind hearing more aesop rock production albums too, what other emcees would go good with aes beats

aes def got a nice style on beats now

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Here's an unreleased labor days era joint Aesop and I did that we just put up for download. Happy new year,yall!
http://900bats.com/2013/free-mp3-from-a ... blockhead/

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

:cheers:

perlman

Post by perlman »

That is a cool song. The new stuff is cool, but depressed blue collar Aesop was the best.
If I had a hammer/I'd build a city on stilts

anticonguy

Re:

Post by anticonguy »

zombie wrote:ffffffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

getting.

blast the instrumentals at night while driving = feels good man (no homo)

oh and i laughed at this comment on the Sage Francis board about the album:

"Because of Spotify I've been able to revisit a lot of the hiphop from whence Aesop Rock came, and sort of hear that stuff against other types of music and hiphop--and I think I've gotten to the point where it's just not speaking to me anymore. A lot of it seems old and stale and sad.

I haven't been about Aesop Rock since Labor Days, but I tried to give this album a listen, and it was pretty much impossible to get through. I don't care about his message. His voice bores me. And the production doesn't do anything for me either.

The only guy active in this scene that I can still listen to is B. Otherwise if I'm listening to hiphop it's Spaceghost Purrp/Raider Clan stuff, Lil B, ASAP Rocky, or The Black Hippy group.

You can put El-P on a Killer Mike album, it still sounds dead to me. And this album is deader than that. Great to see that he's still making it happen though, and still has a fanbase. I definitely respect the hustle he's doing, because to remain relevant to anyone for that long with your art is an achievement in hiphop. But the art does nothing for me. And him particularly, not in awhile. But I don't know anything. Like what you like. What moves you is what moves you."

yeah that post really happened.

Sage is the most whiny, salty dude in rap ever imo. I wouldn't be suprised if Aesop or El did something to piss him off and he's ranting about how he thinks they are boring or whatever. What a lame dude. Keep catering to middle class white kids who are insecure about listening to hip hop, Sage.
"i cant listen to any rap... i think it all is pretty much boring to listen to.... i would never listen to some underground or mtv-underground shit when im home washing dishes or whatever... but some people still like rap... god bless em, thats who buys my records!"- sole

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

sage francis didnt write that, a poster/member of the forum did

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

is sage francis still making rap? i havent heard any new shit since whatever album had 'sea lion' on it.

i broke out some old sage shit recently and enjoyed it.

if he thinks the killer mike album sounds dead, he has problems with his ears, or maybe they are dripping with too much swag juice nowawdays.

nigga needs to make a new non prophets album cus that joint is awesome, but if you go back and listen to old sage, he did the whole ' pineapple-juice-box-cutter-calhoun' type word play way too much.

DLG

Post by DLG »

Piff Tannen wrote:is sage francis still making rap? i havent heard any new shit since whatever album had 'sea lion' on it.
that's his last listenable album imo.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

Piff Tannen wrote:
if he thinks the killer mike album sounds dead, he has problems with his ears, or maybe they are dripping with too much swag juice nowawdays.
sage francis didnt write that, a poster/member of the forum did
http://instagram.com/p/NZLA9eOgvQ/

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

i stand corrected

:cas:

DLG

Post by DLG »

sage lookin like OG deceased Serbian gypsy folk superstar Luis

anticonguy

Post by anticonguy »

DLG wrote:sage lookin like OG deceased Serbian gypsy folk superstar Luis

he cut da beard. looking less homeless these days.
"i cant listen to any rap... i think it all is pretty much boring to listen to.... i would never listen to some underground or mtv-underground shit when im home washing dishes or whatever... but some people still like rap... god bless em, thats who buys my records!"- sole

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

citizen

Post by citizen »

Employee wrote:
yeah...i don't like that very much

is this the start of a new sub-genre?

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

meh at best. i'll give the album a listen when it comes out but this is not too enticing. for how good skelethon was/is, this album could take some wind out of the sails

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Artwork is cool though

Can't say I'm really looking forward to it, but it is what it is, I'll check it cause Aesop will likely have some amazing verses on it. I did like that Bats song. I also own that very same inflatable beard of bees.

Bear

Post by Bear »

That song also was on their Daytrotter Sessions EP.
Same with Delicate Cycle.

I like it but I'm hoping for some more up-tempo songs

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

It would help if the frumpy looking woman could sing yo. Her backing vocals on Crows annoyed the shit out of me, and as if that wasn't enough, here's a full album of "that". Super.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

not that impressed by it. still gonna give the album a shot though. enjoyed Skelethon.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Versive

Post by Versive »

Busta Ry wrote:It would help if the frumpy looking woman could sing yo. Her backing vocals on Crows annoyed the shit out of me, and as if that wasn't enough, here's a full album of "that". Super.
"The frumpy loooking woman" is a very popular anti-folk singer/songwriter whose old band The Moldy Peaches was featured on the Juno soundtrack... Not that anyone on this forum should be expected to know any of that.

I was kind of excited about this project on the strength of the 10+ minute song below, but this new joint isn't really doing anything for me either. Will still peep for new AR verses if nothing else.

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

Employee wrote:
hopefully aes didn't touch the crushinator...

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Versive wrote:
Busta Ry wrote:It would help if the frumpy looking woman could sing yo. Her backing vocals on Crows annoyed the shit out of me, and as if that wasn't enough, here's a full album of "that". Super.
"The frumpy loooking woman" is a very popular anti-folk singer/songwriter whose old band The Moldy Peaches was featured on the Juno soundtrack... Not that anyone on this forum should be expected to know any of that.

I was kind of excited about this project on the strength of the 10+ minute song below, but this new joint isn't really doing anything for me either. Will still peep for new AR verses if nothing else.

Exactly. Kimya is actually a pretty well-established musician. Yeah that song isn't that great but she's popular and doing that project with Aes will expand his fanbase even more than usual.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

skelethon reminds me of some of the early jux albums as in how its constantly evolving with each listen. i really dig it when a musician can pull that off

DLG

Post by DLG »

walk like thunder is definitely better than all the joints off this album they've leaked so far.

Versive

Post by Versive »

DLG wrote:walk like thunder is definitely better than all the joints off this album they've leaked so far.
To be fair, it's an absolutely incredible song, rare in its degree of honesty and intensity. One couldn't be expected to duplicate that every time out, nor would one want to...

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

Versive wrote:

That's fine, and I appreciate the info, and I like that your a Knicks fan. I guess i could have Googled her, but that would imply that I'm interested and might like to check out more of her work, which I most certainly do not.

zombie

Post by zombie »

"popular anti-folk"

no thanks bye

Chance

Post by Chance »

Interesting developments.

DLG

Post by DLG »

lol @ closed-minded, rap-centric aesop rock fans

Dids

Post by Dids »

Kimya Dawson's music/voice is probably great for people who like stuff like that- but it's just grating as shit to me (I thought it worked on Crows 1 because the aesthetic of the beat is intentionally grating). If whatever creative impulses that gave us Skelathon also gives us this- that's cool. I just hope we don't get more of this and less of that.