Mac Miller has to pay Lord Finesse $10 Million from lawsuit

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Employee
Fast Eddie

Re: Mac Miller has to pay Lord Finesse $10 Million from laws

Post by Employee »

Versive wrote:Is Lord Finesse living particularly extravagently?
:lol:

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Philaflava wrote:Also Finesse is a hypocrite looking for a quick check so he doesn't have to work for a living. This is like Premier suing somebody for sampling Mass Appeal.
Well, I swore on twitter Finesse said it was more to it than just suing Mac over the beat. I honestly think it was partially some of Mac's people behind the scenes that might've caused this; which might've influenced his behavior to respond to Finesse in the way he did. Finesse brought up how Mac's people promised some deals to work out, collaborations, and etc. but it was all hot air in the end. To someone like Finesse who's been around in the industry, he was smart of enough to take advantage of the situation. Set it 10 Mil because if he knew if low balled at what he's getting now, he would barely get shit after paying lawyer fees. Call him a hypocrite all you want but its quite possible there are some grey areas of the whole situation that people may not get or that got attention in the media.

And this isn't the first time Mac did this. He got caught on camera bullshitting with two local producers about credit for a beat that he used and they didn't find out about it until later.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

ardamus wrote:
Philaflava wrote:Also Finesse is a hypocrite looking for a quick check so he doesn't have to work for a living. This is like Premier suing somebody for sampling Mass Appeal.
Well, I swore on twitter Finesse said it was more to it than just suing Mac over the beat. I honestly think it was partially some of Mac's people behind the scenes that might've caused this; which might've influenced his behavior to respond to Finesse in the way he did. Finesse brought up how Mac's people promised some deals to work out, collaborations, and etc. but it was all hot air in the end. To someone like Finesse who's been around in the industry, he was smart of enough to take advantage of the situation. Set it 10 Mil because if he knew if low balled at what he's getting now, he would barely get shit after paying lawyer fees. Call him a hypocrite all you want but its quite possible there are some grey areas of the whole situation that people may not get or that got attention in the media.

And this isn't the first time Mac did this. He got caught on camera bullshitting with two local producers about credit for a beat that he used and they didn't find out about it until later.

Listen, I have no horse in this race. In fact, I think Mac is a horrible rapper and obviously I grew up on Finesse, but this is bullshit. I'll say it because I'm sure a lot of others don't want to, but are thinking the same thing. There is some unsaid rule about suing for samples in this industry and I'm not bork enough to count all of the uncleared stuff Finesse has done in his career but I'm sure its an awful lot.

This whole thing wreaks of a desperate attempt to make a quick buck and that's all. Had Mac been some schubby UGHH type of rapper with zero buzz and zero dollars this wouldn't be an issue.

Mac is popular (because there is no God) and has had tremendous success. There was money to make on this deal. But as a rapper who has done the very thing himself, he shouldn't have to resort to this. It's a bad look and makes him look desperate as well as a hypocrite.

Preem once yelled on his album how ratting is foul. Most of us ate it up and cheer leaded him to sample wonderland. Now Finesse does the exact opposite and we're being apologists because Mac is white, corny and paid? Fuck outta here with the double standards.

Req

Post by Req »

Philaflava wrote: Listen, I have no horse in this race. In fact, I think Mac is a horrible rapper and obviously I grew up on Finesse, but this is bullshit. I'll say it because I'm sure a lot of others don't want to, but are thinking the same thing. There is some unsaid rule about suing for samples in this industry and I'm not bork enough to count all of the uncleared stuff Finesse has done in his career but I'm sure its an awful lot.

This whole thing wreaks of a desperate attempt to make a quick buck and that's all. Had Mac been some schubby UGHH type of rapper with zero buzz and zero dollars this wouldn't be an issue.

Mac is popular (because there is no God) and has had tremendous success. There was money to make on this deal. But as a rapper who has done the very thing himself, he shouldn't have to resort to this. It's a bad look and makes him look desperate as well as a hypocrite.

Preem once yelled on his album how ratting is foul. Most of us ate it up and cheer leaded him to sample wonderland. Now Finesse does the exact opposite and we're being apologists because Mac is white, corny and paid? Fuck outta here with the double standards.
Pretty much.
F.U. MOOLAH

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

^^^^I get what you're saying and I'm not arguing with you. What I'm saying is I don't think its just as simple as a "quick check" either for Finesse. I know, I know, he's not popular anymore, he's broke, its like Premo doing blah blah blah.....but seriously, have you thought for a second that during points of contact that Mac and his people did not see eye to eye with Finesse? I mean he brought it up that there were talks of negotiations that fell through.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

THERE SHOULDNT HAVE EVEN BEEN TALKS BETWEEN TWO PARTIES. THAT IS THE POINT. Finesse was looking for a check either way you slice it.

Pay me $_____ for a guest spot or a beat or I'll sue you for this ____.

Instead of some Twitter shout-out acknowledging the sample and kept it moving.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

So Mac Lethal can now count M2C as one of his groups of true advocates?

#progress

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Philaflava wrote:THERE SHOULDNT HAVE EVEN BEEN TALKS BETWEEN TWO PARTIES. THAT IS THE POINT. Finesse was looking for a check either way you slice it.

Pay me $_____ for a guest spot or a beat or I'll sue you for this ____.

Instead of some Twitter shout-out acknowledging the sample and kept it moving.
Yes, there was. You can say there shouldn't have been talks but there were talks. Period. All I'm saying is there were other details, no matter how you slice it. I don't know what they were and neither do you or anyone else that wasn't involved. We can agree to disagree. It is what it is.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Or you can be naive.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Philaflava wrote:Or you can be naive.
Well, I guess I can't have my unpopular opinion either. Oh well......

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

at least you have an opinion on this. :lol:

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Why shouldn't Finesse capitalize off of a legal system that is so convoluted lawsuits like these are introduced? There is no good reason. Zack Miller doubtlessly had representation managerially for all things music and legal as the song and his "career" took off.

Always hire a good lawyer and then, equally important, listen to their good advice.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Philaflava wrote:at least you have an opinion on this. :lol:
Gloss, you still really don't know me well, do you? :cheers:
I guess it will stay this way.
Employee wrote:Why shouldn't Finesse capitalize off of a legal system that is so convoluted lawsuits like these are introduced? There is no good reason. Zack Miller doubtlessly had representation managerially for all things music and legal as the song and his "career" took off.

Always hire a good lawyer and then, equally important, listen to their good advice.

word.

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

Glad he won. Mac got a free song produced by Finesse. Picture Fat Joe and Pun not paying Dre a cent for Twinz. :larry: He could have settled but didn't.

This is nothing like a sample or freestyle. It's an entirely produced song, a finished prodcut, (his song he (Finesse) closes his show with at that, and his best known) with a video.

Why are people upset with paying the guy that produced the song?

PopsUK

Post by PopsUK »

I think the problem is that Finesse, rightly or wrongly, is positioned in the industry as a purist and somebody who has been making hiphop "for the love". So regardless of whether it was a sample or a straight jack of a beat, it doesn't sit comfortably that he would try to sue a fellow artist (Mac sucks, don't get me wrong) and try to make an obscene amount of money while screwing someone else. Hiphop+lawyers just seems like a mix which Finesse wouldn't be happy with.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

You know that this song was not on an album, but it was on a free mixtape to download.

Nav

Post by Nav »

1. Song was on a free mixtape

2. Song "Nikes On My Feet", uploaded on 1 Jun 2010 has about 32 million views. Not sure how this goes with the theory that the Pizza joint launched his career or whatever.

3. https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120 ... ller.shtml

Was this also a money making hit ? :lol:

"sounds like this rapper was broke and was his chance to get some money from mac miller"

This and nothing more.
Resolved Question
Does Biggie Smalls hate HipHop???

"Shoulda been a cop, Fukc Hiphop"

I've been wondering what he meant by this.
Additional Details
Rap sucks, HipHop is better

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
Naw, he likes hip hop and rap. He was just referring to if he hadn't started rapping he would've been a cop.
So he's cursing it, not that he doesn't like it, just for the sake of it.

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

lol @ Finesse "deserving" to get paid off of this cos hes a legend but the many people who he almost certainly sampled without paying not deserving some of this karma the universe hands out to the just & hiff-hoffinest.

What possible mitigating circumstances make this lawsuit that much less ridiculous than Freeway Rick's? Mac Miller didnt chop it til it sounds like Boris? He wasnt grateful enough to reach out to Finesse for a feature ala Finesse's 90s jazz side project with Chick Corea & The Funky Technicians? I wanna know what boom bap statute was cited that absolves him of any responsibility to put the 1 million+ worth of food he took out of the countless PROB DEAD struggling jazz dudes' family's mouths, back in. Its a crying shame imho.

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

apart from reparations, obv

maclethal

Post by maclethal »

So how much does Oscar Peterson get paid from all this?
A tuna that smells like pussy is better than a pussy that smells like tuna. -Anonymous

Kace

Post by Kace »

Philaflava wrote:
ardamus wrote:

Listen, I have no horse in this race. In fact, I think Mac is a horrible rapper and obviously I grew up on Finesse, but this is bullshit. I'll say it because I'm sure a lot of others don't want to, but are thinking the same thing. There is some unsaid rule about suing for samples in this industry and I'm not bork enough to count all of the uncleared stuff Finesse has done in his career but I'm sure its an awful lot.

I think Lord Finesse mainly sued Mac Miller for the same reason Pete Rock lashed out at Lupe Fiasco recently. Jacking the beat is not so much the issue here, because that happens all the time. The problem lies in that a douchebag rapper does it, and the subsequent shame from being associated with douchebag in question everytime someone hears his beat from now on .
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Barack HUSSEIN Obama should impose a sliding scale tax on all white rappers.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Kace wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
ardamus wrote:

I think Lord Finesse mainly sued Mac Miller for the same reason Pete Rock lashed out at Lupe Fiasco recently. Jacking the beat is not so much the issue here, because that happens all the time. The problem lies in that a douchebag rapper does it, and the subsequent shame from being associated with douchebag in question everytime someone hears his beat from now on .
And that is the double standard that I'm not fond of. Lord Finesse stole samples from tons and tons of broke artists himself. Why does he get a pass?

I'll tell you why. Because those broke artists had no idea who Lord Finesse was. They didn't hear his records. There was no Youtube at the time. There was no Twitter. Those who did found out via lawyers or fans, sued.

Lord Finesse saw this as a pay check, period. If I can put my distaste for Mac aside and agree this isn't right, why can't others? And why isn't this transparent to everyone?

grass

Post by grass »

Lord Finesse broke? I doubt that. Dude recently did a successful european tour (touring Japan in a couple of months), DJ all over the world, is frequently booked at music seminars etc.
Fuck that Serato MP3 shit! Keep it dusty!!!

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I seriously doubt he has never had over 1M in his account prior to this settlement. Not ever.

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »

Finesse has probably made quite about off that fat boy slim song that samples him in the hook. dude said he had to give all the royalties to the people he sampled.

im not against finesse suing because someone used his beat on a mixtape, as long as we can all agree that it was a real dick move regardless of how much mac miller sucks.

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

Philaflava wrote:I seriously doubt he has never had over 1M in his account prior to this settlement. Not ever.
Dr. Dre 2001 album, BIG - Ready To Die, SWV, etc.. isn't bad.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Philaflava wrote:I seriously doubt he has never had over 1M in his account prior to this settlement. Not ever.
:larry:

Mark 563

Post by Mark 563 »

bbatson1 wrote:
Dr. Dre 2001 album, BIG - Ready To Die, SWV, etc.. isn't bad.
This. I struggle to believe Finesse is a broke rapper. Royalties must be keeping him comfortable.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Just because he produced some Biggie tracks doesn't make him set. Easy Mo Bee is 2 years behind on his mortgage and produced most of the album. Plus Bad Boy paid like shit and you know that. His biggest check of his life came from Fatboy Slim. I think it was in the tune of 700K plus residuals.