General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

DLG

Re: Roc Marciano - reloaded preemtive thread

Post by DLG »

Versive

Post by Versive »

Kace wrote:Lovin' this gritty blaxploitation 5-percenter throwback nineties gangsta pimp rap.
5 percenter?!

Kace

Post by Kace »

Versive wrote:
Kace wrote:Lovin' this gritty blaxploitation 5-percenter throwback nineties gangsta pimp rap.
5 percenter?!
Yeah Roc is a self-proclaimed Muslim. He mentions it a few times in his last album.
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

pretty sure muslim doesn't automatically equate to 5%
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

I'm trying to think of a single 5% reference in a Roc Marc track and can't come up with anything. Referencing himself as a "gawd" doesn't count.

Kace

Post by Kace »

drizzle wrote:pretty sure muslim doesn't automatically equate to 5%
He's not a regular Muslim rapper like say Freeway or Brother Ali (they're what I call Qaeda rappers).

Check some of Roc's twitter messages:

https://twitter.com/rocmarci/status/266406121336619009

https://twitter.com/rocmarci/status/290923620270759936

Someone who is a self-proclaimed Muslim and regularly uses the words "peace 7" = 5 percenter.
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

idk man, i'm far from an expert on this but that seems kinda thin. i follow him on twitter too and aside from those 2 tweet i've never seen him make any references to it (or use peace 7 specifically for that matter). and i can't think of anything on the album either. which doesn't really mean anything either really, you might still be right.

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

I'd be shocked if he wasn't 5% to be honest. Especially when you peep his very early material Pre-Pete Rock.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Look, he might be at home making salah as we speak -- who gives a fuck -- but dude called it "5%er rap," which would indicate that there is some element of religious doctrine in his music. There is not. It's about dressing fly and enslaving women.

...Oh wait.

DLG

Post by DLG »

:lol:

Brokewax

Post by Brokewax »

Combo7 wrote:I'm trying to think of a single 5% reference in a Roc Marc track and can't come up with anything. Referencing himself as a "gawd" doesn't count.

"Word to father Fard I am no fraud", though it points more to the NOI than the 5% explicitly

Kace

Post by Kace »

Versive wrote:Look, he might be at home making salah as we speak -- who gives a fuck -- but dude called it "5%er rap," which would indicate that there is some element of religious doctrine in his music. There is not. It's about dressing fly and enslaving women.

...Oh wait.
It's true Roc's music doesn't explicitly contain 5% elements, but I think they are there, be it subtly.

These lines from 'Flash Gordon' for example:
"As a dove flew out the glove of the magician, it was just as I predicted
Reality is prescripted."
"Inside the Matrix, I’m the glitch".
Or in 'Pistolier':
"scripted jewel"
Feeding at the garden of Eden
I’m a heathen
Mate with the Goddess

Kace

Post by Kace »

Brokewax wrote:
Combo7 wrote:I'm trying to think of a single 5% reference in a Roc Marc track and can't come up with anything. Referencing himself as a "gawd" doesn't count.

"Word to father Fard I am no fraud", though it points more to the NOI than the 5% explicitly
What song is that line from?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

kace the examples you're pointed to can be interpreted in a context of several religions and/or philosophies that have nothing to do with 5%. you're also lumping in some random quotes in there apropos of nothing in particular. it seems like you have your mind made up a priori and are now trying to find evidence retroactively, reaching for anything that could feasibly support your theory no matter how slight the evidence might be.

Brokewax

Post by Brokewax »

Kace wrote:
Brokewax wrote:

What song is that line from?

Versive

Post by Versive »

At what point, if ever, do the contradictions between a rapper's possible spiritual philosophy and outright glorifications of sex, drugs and violence make it impossible to no longer call him a 5%er, NOIer, etc.?

To what extent do modern urban American Islam's roots excuse criminality and to what effect?

There's a Thun post in here somewhere.

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

The Matrix was really an allegory for the struggle of the 5%?

Versive

Post by Versive »

No, the 85%

Echo Leader

Post by Echo Leader »

Ah. Peace 7, god.

B. Ware tha Siniq

Post by B. Ware tha Siniq »

I doubt that Roc is currently a 5%er. That doesn't mean he doesn't include elements of 5% terminology or have a rudimentary understanding of the symbolism and math equated with 5%ers. This is not exactly a new thing for rappers from NYC. But for example, Ka, who is good friends with Roc and has a lot more 5% references and terminology in his music than Roc, is not a 5%er. A lot of this is just how people talk in NYC, especially people of a certain generation who grew up when the gods were really prominent in the culture of hip hop and throughout the neighborhood. Now, he could certainly be one, but to be honest that shit is pretty rare in today's world. Most of the folks I know who were 5%er's at one point aren't even Muslim anymore and other than dudes selling books on 125th street, there really aren't a lot of people who are active 5%ers at this point. So it's certainly possible that he was at one point, but I kind of doubt that he is today.
https://soundcloud.com/jay-beware/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AVENTUS

Post by AVENTUS »

Jaz wrote:
AVENTUS wrote:
unclebengi wrote:Driving around with 'Thread Count' on in the system>>>>>>>>>>>>
When I first got Reloaded, Thread Count got repeated maybe 8 times when I first heard it. Found out Tip did the beat and was telling everybody. Reloaded made me go back and appreciate Marciano more than I used to, the P Brothers tracks especially. He's still phony as fuck.....but I can't front.....this playlist is disc #1 in my changer:

how is he phony?
C'mon dude, apart from being a dope rapper, his whole steez is phony as fuck. Maybe there is something lost in translation despite both our countries being anglophone. Maybe the fact you're from New Zealand and likely don't have any big-city-USA-born-and-bred homies who are crack dealers of minimal success makes your radar for this shit less than stellar?

how many 90's brothers do you know who sell small amounts of herb and rock and play this whole fake ass kingpin persona? Roc is for sure top choice amongst the plethora of those dudes in Hempstead.

of course, he's also phony in the typical way all rappers are phony. For instance, we know Raekwon doesn't have a crib in Africa guarded by two lions, but we let that shit slide. Roc lazily steps over the line, claiming 9 different cars in one song, about 86 total on the album. he goes over the line. But it's rap in 2013, so who cares about this type of phony.

i'm really just calling him out on the first charge. he's a dope rapper with a killer ear for music and picks/makes some great beats, but he's over the line phony.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Who gives a shit?

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

AVENTUS wrote:C'mon dude, apart from being a dope rapper, his whole steez is phony as fuck. Maybe there is something lost in translation despite both our countries being anglophone. Maybe the fact you're from New Zealand and likely don't have any big-city-USA-born-and-bred homies who are crack dealers of minimal success makes your radar for this shit less than stellar?

how many 90's brothers do you know who sell small amounts of herb and rock and play this whole fake ass kingpin persona? Roc is for sure top choice amongst the plethora of those dudes in Hempstead.

of course, he's also phony in the typical way all rappers are phony. For instance, we know Raekwon doesn't have a crib in Africa guarded by two lions, but we let that shit slide. Roc lazily steps over the line, claiming 9 different cars in one song, about 86 total on the album. he goes over the line. But it's rap in 2013, so who cares about this type of phony.

i'm really just calling him out on the first charge. he's a dope rapper with a killer ear for music and picks/makes some great beats, but he's over the line phony.
Literally the worst post ever in My Two Cents.

Nas is a gun.

AVENTUS

Post by AVENTUS »

Combo7 wrote:Nas is a gun.
I Gave You Power was a good metaphor. Jungle Fever was marciano's only song that had any clevernes to it's concept. The rest are just fly LIES. Not FLY lies.

Kid That's Lifeless

:rofl:

Jesus.

AVENTUS

Post by AVENTUS »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:Who gives a shit?
There is a line of fakeness that MC's can't cross.

Where am I, Philaflava or Worldstar ?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin

Post by drizzle »

AVENTUS wrote:

rappers have always exaggerated wildly and crossed over into outright fantasy in service of creating a character, or simply just because it sounded cool on record. or did you really think that camp lo pulled diamond heists in europe, rza was a martial artist superhero, keith murray traveled to other planets and nore jogged around the english channel?

what marci does here is no different

AVENTUS

Post by AVENTUS »

drizzle wrote:
AVENTUS wrote:

rappers have always exaggerated wildly and crossed over into outright fantasy in service of creating a character, or simply just because it sounded cool on record. or did you really think that camp lo pulled diamond heists in europe, rza was a martial artist superhero, keith murray traveled to other planets and nore jogged around the english channel?

AVENTUS

Post by AVENTUS »

drizzle wrote:
AVENTUS wrote:camp lo pulled diamond heists in europe, rza was a martial artist superhero, keith murray traveled to other planets and nore jogged around the english channel?

True. Camp Lo is a great comparison. But I think Marciano is more guilty. It's like, when Bronson constantly claims backflips out the sunroof, it's funny, and he knows you know it's funny. When Keith Murray says it, he's just telling you that's just how high he'd get. nore gets a pass regardless. marciano isn't funny. he's tryna fool the consumer a little too much.

Listen, to everyone who is a huge fan of his here, I'm a fan too, his beats/beat choices and flow are nice. Beats Minimal drums on crazy loops, like a less cartoonish take on MF Doom's beat style. Flow like a hybrid of AK Skills, Mic Geronimo, and Scaramanga. I've been trying to defend marciano to no avail with some. But his downside is that he's phonier than almost every other MC I'd place at his level.

Kid That's Lifeless

Yeah, but again, who gives a shit? Rappers lie. Big fucking deal.