Need some more time with it
6%

Total votes: 33

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Re: article on new De La Soul music for 2013

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

The Afronaut wrote:
Versive wrote:LISTEN to the song. Barely any lines directly reference "new hip-hop." There's a lot more than "we're real, you aint" going on.
Just listened. The song's dope, but saying they its not a "we're real/you're not" song is ridiculous. The whole Wu-sample that inspired the song is too.
Fuck the over-intellectualizing it. I ain't no god damn apologist or revisionist.
I either like something or I don't. AND I LIKE THIS SONG A WHOLE FUCKING LOT. I'm not justifying it like "i like it... for old man rap" or "i like it... when i want to kick it old school like a wannabe hipster douchebag" or "i like it... but i hope they do a remix with Odd Future rapping on it" :bunk:

FUCK ALL THIS BULLSHIT. THE SONG IS EITHER DOPE OR WACK AND TO ME, THIS SONG IS :rockout:

"like furry dice hanging off the mirror, your position is concerning my vision/ but these objects seem to be closer than they appear/ and they could never catch us, their directions don't match up... so just :arrow: "

This line, and the whole song is wisely and subtly explaining why NONE of these fucking new jack hustlers will EVER reach the level of De La Soul, especially if they keep doing the same echoing and parroting and style-biting of the popular hot hipster synthy weak bullshit that they are currently on. No matter how much hype and record sales Nicki Minaj or Mac Miller or Macklemore or Tyga or Chief Keef or ALL these new dudes/cats have... NONE of them will catch up to the status of De La Soul, because:

"you ain't an MC... like me" - GZA and Posdnsous
:wutang: :cas: :cheers:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

I was just calling it what it is. Doesnt make it any less enjoyable for me.

Side Note: Who of the people you mentioned are even trying to reach the level of De La? Thats the question, and if the answer is "none of them", why even bother wisely and subtly explaining why they'll never reach their level?

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Mindbender Futurama wrote: The whole song is wisely and subtly explaining why NONE of these fucking new jack hustlers will EVER reach the level of De La Soul, especially if they keep doing the same echoing and parroting and style-biting of the popular hot hipster synthy weak bullshit that they are currently on. No matter how much hype and record sales Nicki Minaj or Mac Miller or Macklemore or Tyga or Chief Keef or ALL these new dudes/cats have... NONE of them will catch up to the status of De La Soul
:rofl:

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

The Afronaut wrote:I was just calling it what it is. Doesnt make it any less enjoyable for me.

Side Note: Who of the people you mentioned are even trying to reach the level of De La? Thats the question, and if the answer is "none of them", why even bother wisely and subtly explaining why they'll never reach their level?
Bro, virtually ALL the people in rap want to be on Jay-Z's money, power, respect level. I think only a few people wouldn't mind a working class lifestyle in music, like Homeboy Sandman.

Nicki Minaj is quoted as saying "world domination is my #1 goal." Who doesn't want to be as big and successful as possible? The whole "yeah I'm chillin in the underground and I'm happy down here" mentality stopped being desireable around the time Rawkus collapsed.

De La Soul have gold and platinum albums and are world class hip hop legends. What new MC has come out NOT wanting to get to that level, or DOESN'T want to chart on Billboard or get RIAA certified gold/platinum/beyond? De La are not on Jay-Z's level, but as far as being immortal icons and living legends and Hall of Fame inductees and even "pension earners" for having timeless music... De La IS on an elite level.

The thing is: who is making a classic career these days? did Wiz Khalifa's second album do as good as his first? Nicki Minaj, how's her legacy growing? Tyga just dropped his second album 'Hotel California', do you feel like that's going to blow up bigger than the first? Since 'I Don't Like', has Chief Keef had ANY singles bigger than his first song with the Kanye push? Is Interscope's investment paying off? Will Chief Keef reach any legendary levels? :killacam:

NONE of these people have even made their '3 Feet High and Rising' yet, much less their 'Buhloone Mindstate' or even 'Grind Date' or fucking 'Mission Impossible'.

After all the money and fame and buzz and hype and celebrity hoopla dies down... all that remains is the music.

De La Soul >>>>>>>>>>
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Versive

Post by Versive »

The Afronaut wrote:
Versive wrote:LISTEN to the song. Barely any lines directly reference "new hip-hop." There's a lot more than "we're real, you aint" going on.
Just listened. The song's dope, but saying they its not a "we're real/you're not" song is ridiculous. The whole Wu-sample that inspired the song is too.
Didn't say it's not that, just that it's not only that.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

This has been coming up in a few threads and its only going to keep happening...its getting pretty ridiculous to use the same yardsticks of success on the "new" music industry that was used on the old.

The game has changed so significantly that is pretty much pointless. Few IF ANY of the peeps coming out now will reach "pension earning" levels, nor do I think they want to. They also have little to no interest in crafting albums in way that was formally popular.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

The Afronaut wrote:This has been coming up in a few threads and its only going to keep happening...its getting pretty ridiculous to use the same yardsticks of success on the "new" music industry that was used on the old.

The game has changed so significantly that is pretty much pointless. Few IF ANY of the peeps coming out now will reach "pension earning" levels, nor do I think they want to. They also have little to no interest in crafting albums in way that was formally popular.
I pray we never evolve out of the album format.
No matter what, if an artist can't make an album's worth of good songs... they need more learnings.
A gang of singles ain't the way of the immortal. There is a tradition of having a vision, a message and a coherent creative collection of audio ideas that captures a moment in time for the society it speaks to. This is what the majority of legends have been doing since music has been able to be captured, and this is how it should stay.

If the artist can't take me on a journey... they aren't an artist to me. Not EVERYTHING needs to change and evolve in the music industry. Not all evolutionary steps are good, or necessary. Formats kept evolving after the cassette and vinyl, and a bunch of disc formats came up before a million digital formats manifested... all for some people to just start collecting vinyl again and realize the value of what we used to have and what we used to do...

If your album isn't a collection of singles bigger than "Thriller", you aren't a better artist than MJ in the early 80's, and you need to study the game more to figure out how and why Michael Jackson sold more tapes and cassettes back then than you EVER will in your life. SHAMON and good night :ironmike:

Jaz
Ease Up

De La Soul – 'Get Away (The Spirit Of The Wu)'

Post by Jaz »

http://soundcloud.com/wearedelasoul/de-la-soul-get-away-feat-the-1

De La Ould...ol Maseo is giving Uncle Large Pro a run in the salt n pepper facial hair stakes :lol:

The Afronaut

Re: De La Soul – 'Get Away (The Spirit Of The Wu)'

Post by The Afronaut »

Yep.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:There is a tradition of having a vision, a message and a coherent creative collection of audio ideas that captures a moment in time for the society it speaks to. This is what the majority of legends have been doing since music has been able to be captured, and this is how it should stay.
Im not arguing that this isnt how things used to operate, or whether I'd have liked it to continue operating this way. I am arguing that the music industry by in large no longer operates this way.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

should we just merge this with the other thread about this song?
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

yeah

Thun

Post by Thun »

Song isn't bad but it's pretty much a 100th Episode Clips retrospective innit?

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

yeah let's just merge this, it's weird having them side by side
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

The Afronaut wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote:There is a tradition of having a vision, a message and a coherent creative collection of audio ideas that captures a moment in time for the society it speaks to. This is what the majority of legends have been doing since music has been able to be captured, and this is how it should stay.
Im not arguing that this isnt how things used to operate, or whether I'd have liked it to continue operating this way. I am arguing that the music industry by in large no longer operates this way.
Maybe that's why the music industry has been in a decline since 2001, and didn't have any profits until the first quarter 2013. :killacam:

The industry itself has literally imploded and the things people have been doing in the last decade are NOT improvements on the model we have had for the entire 20th century.

There is a CENTURIES-OLD tradition of human beings going to concerts and seeing shows live. Do you think just because we can watch Coachella on YouTube now that live music concerts are going to go the way of the dinosaur? NO. And I pray NOT EVER.

When Eminem and N'Sync and Britney Spears were the top of the pops, motherfuckers were selling millions of records in their first week. Then the internet came, and everything turned to ass. Not only is basically just Drake and Taylor Swift a few other people are still moving shitloads of units in this decade. And what do Drake and Taylor Swift sell a lot of? ALBUMS.

things have changed, i agree with you. but things have NOT EVOLVED.
the industry is still trying to figure out where the fuck to go and what formula to follow. :bunk: :fail:

all-time bottom line: if cats ain't original, they can just go, get away from heeere :arrow:

The Afronaut

Re: De La Soul - GET AWAY feat. The Spirit Of The Wu

Post by The Afronaut »

One thing about the song...why doesnt Mase do cuts on it?

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

A better question is why Maseo rap more. His track on AOI was dope.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

EichTurner

Post by EichTurner »

the rapping is soooo good..

honestly i'm kinda meh on that beat
illegal mind shoe lace

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

Uh, Maseo is not a great rapper. He's not terrible, but he's not a God a la Pos and Dave. The call for more Maseo is a terrible one indeed.
Look, all this talk about topic is really strange to me. Since when are most rappers rapping about anything interesting?! I mean, choose your topic and tell me it isn't played the fuck out - bitches, money, respect, sex, the game - these are your hip-hop repositories, it's the approach that garners the respect.
It is refreshing to hear them back in effect with such vigor - this record reminds me a bit of "Trying People" and that's a good thing, so I'm hoping for a great output, or at least something on the level of Grind Date..And Grind Date was dope, what the hell is the matter with people? Can't please anyone around here :shit:

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

youtube.com/watch?v=UvKNbsmAKcc

^My favorite Maseo song - as a bit of a side note

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Busta Ry wrote:Uh, Maseo is not a great rapper. He's not terrible, but he's not a God a la Pos and Dave. The call for more Maseo is a terrible one indeed.
Look, all this talk about topic is really strange to me. Since when are most rappers rapping about anything interesting?! I mean, choose your topic and tell me it isn't played the fuck out - bitches, money, respect, sex, the game - these are your hip-hop repositories, it's the approach that garners the respect.
It is refreshing to hear them back in effect with such vigor - this record reminds me a bit of "Trying People" and that's a good thing, so I'm hoping for a great output, or at least something on the level of Grind Date..And Grind Date was dope, what the hell is the matter with people? Can't please anyone around here :shit:
there is SO MUCH MORE to rhyme about. motherfuckers are incredibly uninspiring and uninspired.

Stevie Wonder did a fucking double album about FLORA AND FAUNA.

rap ninjas make me sick. rhyme about the god damn weather.

just do SOMETHING half fucking original, NINJA PLEASE :bunk:

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

PopeyeJones wrote:^^^ Yeah, I just think that's a fairly small contingent these days (Wick-Wick, AC, Jaz, YouTube comment tards), but I think it's pretty reasonable that some wishful thinking might also be clouding my judgement about how small that contingent actually is.

It's mostly informed by spending my time among 18-22 year olds who -- for what feels like the first time in 20 years -- are too into the wub wubs to even care about rap that much, let alone what constitutes "real" rap or not. So, clouded judgement and pretty impressionistic on my part (e.g. even four years ago I was good for one ginger per class wanting to write a term paper on real hip hop, and that's really slowed to a trickle, if at all. Now it's the same tards wanting to write their papers on how dubstep is gonna save the universe -- in both cases I politely more or less tell them to go fuck themselves).

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Or what, Jaz?

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Busta Ry wrote:Uh, Maseo is not a great rapper. He's not terrible, but he's not a God a la Pos and Dave. The call for more Maseo is a terrible one indeed.
C'mon man. Maseo getting on the mic every once in a while was never a bad thing; of course he's not rockin' like Dave and Pos but he's still good. I can't find the song from AOI with Freddie Foxx (You Don't Wanna BDS) but it was cool to hear him at least once.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Mase the rapper is fine as a here and there. I'm always glad to hear him.

The cuts thing is something else altogether. I just dont get why he doesnt cut on more of the post 2000 records.

AOI 3 "On some DJ shit" never happened, so I'd just like to hear him do his thing more often.

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

I know I'm in the minority here, but that "Get Away" track sounds sloppy as fuck to me.

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Very dope

Versive

Post by Versive »

The Afronaut wrote:Mase the rapper is fine as a here and there. I'm always glad to hear him.

The cuts thing is something else altogether. I just dont get why he doesnt cut on more of the post 2000 records.

AOI 3 "On some DJ shit" never happened, so I'd just like to hear him do his thing more often.
Agree. Keep in mind though, the album isn't dropping until late Fall so cuts could very well be added to this (and the rest of the tracks) later on

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

The song is weak. And I'm a De La stan.

I don't have an issue with rappers rhyming about wack rappers, but I don't want a whole album of complaining because at a certain point it really does become hating.

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

^^

you prefer that new redman/cheeks/doitall track to this one?

weird...