Artists You Love That People Passionately Hate

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Larry2times

Re: Artists You Love That People Passionately Hate

Post by Larry2times »

The chances of Bone Thugs/anyone in Memphis even being aware of who Freestyle Fellowship were is slim. I dunno about Three 6 etc but Bone, much like Spice 1, developed that style via being influenced by Dancehall, not Jazz or anyone who frequented Good Life, if you listen to their earlier, pre-Ruthless shit they wore the Dancehall influence on their sleeves fairly blatantly.

I always thought it was a ridiculous argument considering their styles arent that similar. You may as well say Twista, Fu-Schnicks or Jaz-O bit them. Melodic sing songy, off-on beat shit just became increasingly popular in the early 90s and it was inevitable some fast rap dudes would incorporate it in. The only reason I even bring up Three 6 is cos they beefed with Bone over biting but Three 6's style is even further removed from FF tbh. Anyone who believes this shit prob hasnt listened to the offending artists all that much.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Larry2times wrote:The chances of Bone Thugs/anyone in Memphis even being aware of who Freestyle Fellowship were is slim. I dunno about Three 6 etc but Bone, much like Spice 1, developed that style via being influenced by Dancehall, not Jazz or anyone who frequented Good Life, if you listen to their earlier, pre-Ruthless shit they wore the Dancehall influence on their sleeves fairly blatantly.

I always thought it was a ridiculous argument considering their styles arent that similar. You may as well say Twista, Fu-Schnicks or Jaz-O bit them. Melodic sing songy, off-on beat shit just became increasingly popular in the early 90s and it was inevitable some fast rap dudes would incorporate it in. The only reason I even bring up Three 6 is cos they beefed with Bone over biting but Three 6's style is even further removed from FF tbh. Anyone who believes this shit prob hasnt listened to the offending artists all that much.
:fail:

Wrong. Why? Because Bone Thugs was in L.A. when Good Life Cafe was around. That's when they originally got down with Ruthless Records when Eazy was hooking them up. And it wasn't just Freestyle Fellowship; notice that I said that. If you don't think its true, look it up. Matter of fact, watch the documentary "The Good Life". Dancehall? Really? Since you're a big fan of Bone, why did they have that album they did that was old where they weren't rapping in that same style? Matter of fact, why is it that they were in L.A. around the same time the Good Life Cafe/Project Blowed scene was doing it and they were seen at those same events? Pretty sure if Ice Cube bit Volume 10 in his Da Lench Mob days, then it would happen with anyone that Bone was influenced by there.

Twista, Chip-Fu, Jaz-O, and a few others just rapped fast. Good Life/Project rapped it fast and applied some of the other shit that I did see Bone do a little bit. I did listen to Bone and gave it a chance even after I heard the rumors. The more I listened, the more I was like "damn, I can see it a little". And that was really just one style out of a lot of what that scene was known for.

That beef with Three 6 was whatever. I never thought they sounded the same.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

GentleJonesReturns

Post by GentleJonesReturns »

Larry2times wrote:The chances of Bone Thugs/anyone in Memphis even being aware of who Freestyle Fellowship were is slim. I dunno about Three 6 etc but Bone, much like Spice 1, developed that style via being influenced by Dancehall, not Jazz or anyone who frequented Good Life, if you listen to their earlier, pre-Ruthless shit they wore the Dancehall influence on their sleeves fairly blatantly.

myka 9 wrote two songs on n.w.a. first album and hung out with eazy e often

http://gentlejones.blogspot.com/2006/02 ... sions.html
GJ: There's a story that's been going around for years that Eazy E gave the dudes from Bone Thugs n Harmony a FF tape (with the Mary Jane tune) and he instructed them to use it as a blueprint for their style, is there any truth to this?

M9: No, not that I know of. Unless I left some music in his car. R.I.P. He brought them to the Good Life with Tim (Uneek) and I played him our stuff at Earle’s hotdog stand and in his SUV. We shared what we were working with on occasion. He was also into the ghost writing thing, like what I did on the very first NWA album!

GJ: Wow, I didn’t know that.

M9: Yeah, I wrote two tracks off NWA and the Posse, my name M. Troy is listed in the liner notes. I should be getting publishing off the record but I don’t know if the statute of limitations is up on that or what! (laughs)
Last edited by GentleJonesReturns on Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Who hates The Grouch tho? Other than the folks who just write off all Bay Area rappers as being wack.

PEACE

Kace

Post by Kace »

Blockhead wrote:^ they certainly got "worse" after fergie joined but people seem to think they weren't totally half assed before that. They basically just went from souls of mischief rip off to roots rip off to whatever the fuck they were with fergie
Fugees rip off? And to think that the Fugees themselves were a Digable Planets rip off...
'I suppose everyone has their own limit, but some things you simply can never stop fighting for.'

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

That first BEP album has some enjoyable joints.
They were never anything particularly special as a group though.

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

Whoa I stand corrected, didnt know any of that. Ive been meaning to watch that doc properly for months now.

Im still not fully convinced though. Maybe they bit somewhat but the majority of seeds for their style were there in the earlier album which are dancehall as fuck, I cant imagine anything else they took was as significant. So yeah maybe "a little bit" but that ruining them on anyones going a bit far, they stamped enough of their own character on to where its hard to give a fuck.

Revisiting some of this shit now Im starting to think Koopsta and a few others listened to dancehall too. Im no expert but Ive heard more than enough of that shit from then to see similarities.

step one

Post by step one »

Whoa I stand corrected
Things You Rarely See On The :phila: (or the internet for that matter)
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Req

Post by Req »

step one wrote:
Whoa I stand corrected
Larry2times wrote:Im still not fully convinced though.
:lol:
F.U. MOOLAH

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Larry2times wrote:Whoa I stand corrected, didnt know any of that. Ive been meaning to watch that doc properly for months now.

Im still not fully convinced though. Maybe they bit somewhat but the majority of seeds for their style were there in the earlier album which are dancehall as fuck, I cant imagine anything else they took was as significant. So yeah maybe "a little bit" but that ruining them on anyones going a bit far, they stamped enough of their own character on to where its hard to give a fuck.

Revisiting some of this shit now Im starting to think Koopsta and a few others listened to dancehall too. Im no expert but Ive heard more than enough of that shit from then to see similarities.
Dude, watch the documentary and come back this thread. You don't have to be convinced. Just know that what you argued about Bone Thugs not being influenced, or better yet being ordered to format their styles after, is pretty off-base.

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

Req wrote:
step one wrote:
Whoa I stand corrected
had that humble pie and ate it at the same damn time

Ardamus is right tbh, dunno what Im at adding any caveat without watching the doc first. This ones all on me like Louis Theroux, whoadee

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

ardamus wrote:
Larry2times wrote:Whoa I stand corrected, didnt know any of that. Ive been meaning to watch that doc properly for months now.

Dude, watch the documentary and come back this thread. You don't have to be convinced. Just know that what you argued about Bone Thugs not being influenced, or better yet being ordered to format their styles after, is pretty off-base.
Shit is legendary on the west coast; many ferocious debates were waged and feelings were hurt during my teenage years over this very subject.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Employee wrote:
ardamus wrote:

Shit is legendary on the west coast; many ferocious debates were waged and feelings were hurt during my teenage years over this very subject.
I heard it first when I think Ab Rude was battling at Scribble Jam and he said "you know who first bit us". My boy in college was like "yeah, he was talking about Bone". And then a few other folks I knew from the West was all saying the same shit on a factual basis. That documentary and that interview Gentle posted was a nail in the coffin.
Larry2times wrote:
Req wrote:
step one wrote:
Whoa I stand corrected
had that humble pie and ate it at the same damn time

Ardamus is right tbh, dunno what Im at adding any caveat without watching the doc first. This ones all on me like Louis Theroux, whoadee
Its all good. There were a few things about Project Blowed/Good Life Cafe I didn't believe at first like Fat Joe rolling through there. Until I heard some audio of what happened. :lol:

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

Oh shit theres audio of Fat Joe getting booed?

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Man, I done spoiled it. Yeah man, watch The Good Life documentary. I heard the story for years and didn't really think Fat Joe would roll thru a spot like that. But he was there.

Thun

Post by Thun »

PopeyeJones wrote: FWIW it's the same thing with Tupac. Depending on taste he's maybe only worthy of passive disinterest, but people really want you to know that they really dislike Tupac (largely b/c they want to differentiate themselves from Tupac fans, the actual guy and his actual music are just pawns in that, IMO).
Nah, I hate his music. The vast majority of it sucks and all of the lyrics are the same. He has songs with fucking country slide guitar sounds and shit in it. Fuck that. The fact that his fanbase lies at the brutal intersection of every underclass group in American society is an unfortunate coincidence, but one does not need to pay that any mind to dislike his music.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

peanut butter wrote:Who hates The Grouch tho? Other than the folks who just write off all Bay Area rappers as being wack.
IIRC he only really got popular outside of the bay around and after Making Perfect Sense, and wasn't nearly as corny on his first four albums as we he was from that point forward. I loved the fuck out of Don't Talk To Me and Success is Destiny (don't remember liking Nothing Changes as much, but don't really remember), but the recording quality was ass, and I remember him really just being a bay thing.

TBH I think most of the people that don't like him are basing that dislike all off post-2k stuff, when disliking him wasn't that unreasonable.

Thun

Post by Thun »

The Grouch is kind of like a granola version of Common to me.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

simple man is a classic song

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Thun wrote:The Grouch is kind of like a granola version of Common to me.
Common is the granola version of Common.

I should have questioned whether people hated Grouch in his prime. Hating him post the LRG era is acceptable and encouraged even. But I never knew anyone to hate him from 95-03.

PEACE

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

PopeyeJones wrote:
peanut butter wrote:Who hates The Grouch tho? Other than the folks who just write off all Bay Area rappers as being wack.
IIRC he only really got popular outside of the bay around and after Making Perfect Sense, and wasn't nearly as corny on his first four albums as we he was from that point forward. I loved the fuck out of Don't Talk To Me and Success is Destiny (don't remember liking Nothing Changes as much, but don't really remember), but the recording quality was ass, and I remember him really just being a bay thing.

TBH I think most of the people that don't like him are basing that dislike all off post-2k stuff, when disliking him wasn't that unreasonable.
Out of LL really, him, MURS, and Eligh have been the most consistent. Scarub and Lucky.I.Am later on when they branched out to work on other projects. I more so ran into people who've never heard of Grouch than dislike him.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Employee wrote: Shit is legendary on the west coast; many ferocious debates were waged and feelings were hurt during my teenage years over this very subject.
You were quite a hip hop motherfucker, bro.

As for The Grouch, when did the Legends leave the Bay, like 2000?
I remember trading tapes with StinkE of Hiero in the early message board days. He sent me a remastered Atban Klann CD, so I thought he might enjoy a Best of The Grouch mix. When I asked for feedback, he told me that the Legends seemed like a crew that was popular and appealed to people because they were local, routinely at all hip hop functions and slanging tapes on Telegraph.
I was pretty Image , but in time I came to realize that he was right.
The minute they left the Bay, that shit was over. Out of sight, out of mind.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

^I traded those same tapes with Stinke...in fact, he sent me that same grouch mix. I never really stuck for me but I didn't hate it.
I do love his song "simple man" though.

alpha

Post by alpha »

peanut butter wrote:
Thun wrote:The Grouch is kind of like a granola version of Common to me.
Common is the granola version of Common.

I should have questioned whether people hated Grouch in his prime. Hating him post the LRG era is acceptable and encouraged even. But I never knew anyone to hate him from 95-03.

PEACE
this is all correct.

Neuro

Post by Neuro »

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

I passionately love people who say they hate Swizz Beatz :rofl:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Jayou Ayen wrote: As for The Grouch, when did the Legends leave the Bay, like 2000?

Sounds about right. IIRC they all lived in a big warehouse space together with curtains and shit hung up to separate out rooms and when that living situation fell apart due to infighting the music all kind of went south w/ it. IIRC that all went down a year or two before they moved to LA, although someone else probably can fill out/correct this history better than I could.

Edit:

The warehouse in the Noyounow video:

(always really liked Grouch's verse on this. His production too. Always assumed it was a song for Fuck The Dumb that got put on Beats & Lyrics instead, but dunno)

Julius Seizure

Post by Julius Seizure »

i'll try to provide a perfect, ackbarian balance to my selections...

phife - the disrespect he gets from some of :phila: 's ethno-musicologists is misguided imo. it's as if he doesn't have hundreds of lyrics that are permanently seared into all of our brains. his shit was light, whimsical - the perfect counterpart to tip. sure, some of it felt corny at the time, some of it has not aged well, but his work on the tribe albums is forever worthy of respect.

why? - not a good rapper, obviously an acquired taste, but has a weird knack for writing beautiful, simple, melancholic pop melodies. has made better music than doseone, even though it used to seem like he was riding dose's coattails. reaching quiet was surprisingly one of my favorite live music experiences, and i have seen all kind of shit over the years.

Post by 907 »

Mac Lethal. He's good at raps, and a damn good dude to boot.

Cunninlynguists. I never understood why these guys got hated on so hard. Kno makes great beats, and Deacon and Natti are my favorite southern duo since Outkast. Southernunderground is great too.

Cage. Sure he's god awful now, and has been for some years. But people act like that somehow invalidates all the good shit he made prior to falling off.
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

Fuzzy Logic

Post by Fuzzy Logic »

Warcloud/Holocaust