Tip @ Red Bull Music Academy

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Busta Ry

Tip @ Red Bull Music Academy

Post by Busta Ry »

http://vimeo.com/67440689#

It's worth investing two hours in. Really, the greatest hip-hop interview or lecture or whatever ever.

I don't know how to imbed video and all that.

Versive

Re: Tip @ Red Bull Music Academy

Post by Versive »

One of the best yet. Tip plays the original version of Nas' "Memory Lane" around the 50-minute mark.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

thanks

PEACE

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Watched the first 15 mins this morning. Looking forward to the remainder.

Sidebar: Is the original Memory Lane like some sought after track? It's been pretty readily available since the Napster days. Not saying he is trying to make it sound exclusive in this video, but I have a set of him rocking on EVR once where he played it and was acting like it was some top secret shit.

Versive

Post by Versive »

^I didn't realize.

Watched the rest of it. He starts playing all sorts of exclusives. This is easily the best RBMA lecture I've seen yet.

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

the unreleased kanye 'mama's boyfriend' sounds dope

GodsDad

Post by GodsDad »

This and the Rakim interview from Redbull are awesome. Thanks for this

Gurped Out

Post by Gurped Out »

This is great :cheers:

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

Someone on the :phila: should make a thread with downloadable links for these so I can watch them on my tv.

Thanks for the link. :cheers:

Req

Post by Req »

pradadon wrote: Sidebar: Is the original Memory Lane like some sought after track? It's been pretty readily available since the Napster days. Not saying he is trying to make it sound exclusive in this video, but I have a set of him rocking on EVR once where he played it and was acting like it was some top secret shit.
I thought it was just an unreleased Premo rmx. Remember hearing it on the Stretch show. Needless to say, the album version is light years better.
F.U. MOOLAH

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Pretty much the best interview ever.

Tip is easily one of my favorite artists to perhaps I am biased, but he's the man.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Someone needs to start transcribing these Redbull things, because I don't have the patience to sit there for 2 hours watching dudes sitting on a sofa awkwardly fiddling with their laptops.

Versive

Post by Versive »

But you have the patience to read through a transcript of them doing so?

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

The two hour interview is a great litmus test for those really interested. The exclusives are the reward for the time invested.

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

Well, I often treat these like I would a podcast, I'll have it playing while I'm working. I don't really care to "watch' it, but I couldn't even fathom reading the whole thing. I don't see that as any sort of simplification or time-saver.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Minus all the "hold up while I look for the folder this song is in" and "hold up while we play a song so a room full of dudes can politely nod along" moments, a transcript of the actual conversation in these Redbull things would take about 20 minutes to read.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Not this one. And if you did read it in 20, you'd miss a lot of key talking points. They played barely any music (except for exclusive demos and shit that Q-Tip, not Mao, put on) and Q-Tip gave some of the most in-depth responses of any participant in the series' history, along with some very amusing anecdotes, impressions, etc. If you don't watch it, you're doing yourself a disservice as a rap fan. But, hey, don't let me stop you.

EichTurner

Post by EichTurner »

the questions got good at the end.. liked that gary bartz one..
illegal mind shoe lace

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Versive wrote:Q-Tip gave some of the most in-depth responses of any participant in the series' history, along with some very amusing anecdotes, impressions, etc. If you don't watch it, you're doing yourself a disservice as a rap fan. But, hey, don't let me stop you.
:cheers:

And I am not directing this at people here, but I fear this whole interview went over a lot of people's heads. The more I go on the internet, the more I realize that most of the fans in this day and age are just wayyyyy different than those of us who grew up in the 80's and 90's. Most kids could never understand the importance of this interview, especially as it pertains to who TIP is and the impact he has on the culture overall. A 15 year old Hip Hop fan would never check for this, which is in stark contrast to the 15 year old me who was selling weed to buy Treacherous 3 12" records. Back then (which for me at 15 was 1993/1994) I realized that it was important to understand the history, Nowadays these kids don't give a fuck.. It's crazy how different the next generations are.