Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Vlad Analogue

Re: Jay-Z - Magna Carta Holy Grail

Post by Vlad Analogue »

this is the soundtrack to white chicks getting their nails done

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

More like Magna Carta Holy Fail, amirite?!?!

drobizhek

Post by drobizhek »

Magna Carta Holy Stale?

step one

Post by step one »

Is it possible that the take up for the Samsung deal wont get them their money back?
Obviously it increases 'brand awareness' and shit like that but are they going to recoup their $5 mill or whatever? If its being written off as a marketing excercise fair enough but if they did it with the explicit intention of increasing phone sales it might not work out for them,

Havent seen anyone entertain the notion that some people with Samsung phones might not want a Jay Z album. I've heard rumours there's people like that out there.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

step one wrote:Is it possible that the take up for the Samsung deal wont get them their money back?
Obviously it increases 'brand awareness' and shit like that but are they going to recoup their $5 mill or whatever? If its being written off as a marketing excercise fair enough but if they did it with the explicit intention of increasing phone sales it might not work out for them,
plus the app didn't work for the first hour when the ability to download dropped, getting people mad on twitter.
but, in case you didn't know, they also paid Jay-Z another $20 million, just for the project. Then the $5 mill for the album sales was secondary.
So, no, they didn't make money back. But, unlike Apple, Samsung has their hands all over electronics and household applainces, so $25 mill
is nothing to them.
Havent seen anyone entertain the notion that some people with Samsung phones might not want a Jay Z album. I've heard rumours there's people like that out there.
that was my first thought. I doubt 1 million people got the app.

step one

Post by step one »

$20 mill could've got them a Jay Electronica album, Detox and that Ghostface/MF Doom project

iCONtheMicKing

Post by iCONtheMicKing »

sleazy_j wrote:
step one wrote:Is it possible that the take up for the Samsung deal wont get them their money back?
plus the app didn't work for the first hour when the ability to download dropped, getting people mad on twitter.
but, in case you didn't know, they also paid Jay-Z another $20 million, just for the project. Then the $5 mill for the album sales was secondary.
So, no, they didn't make money back. But, unlike Apple, Samsung has their hands all over electronics and household applainces, so $25 mill
is nothing to them.
that was my first thought. I doubt 1 million people got the app.
I read somewhere that 10million S4s were sold since the Jay Z commercial. Granted correlation isn't necessarily causation, but I imagine Samsung is happy with that. Also Jay Z succeeded in creating a radio moment where EVERYONE is listening to this record. I'd imagine he's happy with that too.

As far as music quality....it was the point in the record where he is telling miley cyrus to twerk that I realized Jay Z sounds like a caricature of himself at this point.
Internet Rapper - http://ipullrank.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

iCONtheMicKing wrote:As far as music quality....it was the point in the record where he is telling miley cyrus to twerk
:race:

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

faggot carter go eat kale
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

samsung was trying to protect us
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

That last post is going to hit a lot of posters in the heart.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Samsung bought eyes on this deal.

step one

Post by step one »

^^surely they can get all that info anyway without it being specific to people who thought Crazy In Love was Jay's debut verse.

HomieDontPlayDat

Post by HomieDontPlayDat »

Haven't read thread. I take it this is out? Can I get a link, someone? Cheers in advance.
Kalel wrote:I know a thing or two about fine ass pinot noirs

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

HomieDontPlayDat wrote:Haven't read thread. I take it this is out? Can I get a link, someone? Cheers in advance.
didn't read your post. what makes you special?
Philaflava wrote: Samsung bought eyes on this deal.
should've made it available on every phone ever, then.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

sleazy_j wrote:
:naswtf: / :killacam: / :larry:

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

Not gonna give the actual download link but check oot http://www.viperial.com/albums

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

AWAE wrote:damn i find his voice really annoying these days and all those stupid 'uhhnnns'.. beats are average.. def sounds like hiphop for phone commercials
a lot of this.

he's kind of a dweeb in these raps, actually. SO much of what he says is not very impressive or witty like 1996 Jay, but he thinks they are masterpiece thoughts, so he often takes a half-bar or full-bar pause after it to let the mediocrity sink in deeper. but i like the bombastic energy in most of the beats so far. nice futuristic east coast hip hop shit, good enough. not all of them are DOPE but they are mostly pretty fresh for summer 2013. the rhymes are what son i am disappoint.

the sharp version Jay-Z has left the building and disappeared up his own multi-millionaire ego's ass, sad to say

I literally can't remember ONE quotable line off this Massive Garbage Total Fail album (peace to Jaz) from the 8 songs I heard. I went back to listen to all the other songs Jay-Z did with Timbaland (Hey Papi, Dirt Off Your Shoulder, Big Pimpin, Some Like It Hot, etc.) and THEY ALL WERE BETTER THAN 'TOM FORD'. -STILL-. Even though Tom Ford is only a day old and those songs are like 5-10 years old.

Drizzle, I told you this album wouldn't be close to 8.2/10, fake review or not :rofl:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

this album is the anti-thesis of 'Dr. Dre's Detox' though, both Jay-Z and Kanye are operating on the other side of the universe

Dr. Dre and Jay Electronica (and a few others, like Andre 3000) have gotten fans so fucking pissed off with their delayed release dates and broken promises, that people don't give a fuck about bells and whistles really and all the extra bullshit. just gimme de music and stop second guessing your greatness, motherfucker

Jay-Z just went "watch me micro-focus this hype into an insane 3-week period of thinking about NOTHING BUT ME instead of thinking it's Wu-Tang Forever time like years upon years of hype & anticipation will work in your favor, Andre"

Jay-Z is better at so many other things besides rap these days. Dude really has to put the microphone down soon and go work on getting back to Reasonable Doubt Jay.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Req

Post by Req »

:rofl: @ Swizz's shit only being 51 seconds and it still being the wackest beat on the album
F.U. MOOLAH

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/07/jay-z-s ... cano-feud/
Scott Boras responds to Jay-Z’s diss

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

beach is better :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

should be a full song

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainmen ... -1.1390035
Jay-Z ‘Magna Carta Holy Grail’ Album Review: Blue Ivy's dad reveals his insecurities about fatherhood on worldly record
The rap icon balances his trademark fun, witty boasts with some introspection and thoughts on the world on his latest release, which hits stores Tuesday.
Together, it seems geared to buttress Jay's boast in the bonus track "Open Letter" that he's "the Bob Dylan of rap." That may sound like a stretch — especially since not all the music on "Magna Carta" has the freshness of its verse. But the fact that Jay has allowed more vulnerability and rumination to balance out his continuing wit and fun means he may be well on his way to becoming his genre's answer to the great bard.

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

sleazy_j wrote:
Myjah wrote:I hear he disses Scott Boras. The world is so fucking weird these days.
it's true, i had no idea who that was. i'd probably fail at sports trivial pursuit.
but, knowing that they're both in the same business now, managing athletes, i don't see the "weirdness".
I wouldn't expect anyone not into baseball to know who Scott Boras is, which is kinda what makes it weird. It's weird in a "look at how the world has changed" kind of way. If you had told me 10 years ago Jay-Z would be firing shots at Scott Boars on a track I wouldn't have believed you.
Last edited by Myjah on Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I <3 Employee.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

hellriser wrote:beach is better :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

should be a full song
http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicbl ... rst-listen
Beach Is Better

The first instant rewind moment on Magna Carta. Mike Will Made It is the hottest producer around right now for good reason, and he knocks one of his biggest commissions yet out of the park. A dystopian police helicopter digital buzz and a twisting wormhole of bass explode into chimes and gunfire rhythms, which then explode into actual explosions. Even a Jay-Z long past his prime can't screw it up.

Sadly, it seems Jay-Z didn't agree, as this – again – is merely a sub-minute interlude. Sigh.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicbl ... sic-future
Jay-Z's Samsung deal signals a musical future where the rich get richer

Never mind the chart positions – Jay-Z gets everything he wants out of Roc Nation's link with the phone company. And so does Samsung

hessbz12

Post by hessbz12 »

I used to be a huge Jay-Z fan. Haven't cared about him in a while. The beats on this album are crazy. On first listen this is a good album.

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

sleazy_j wrote:
Dude. A company isn't going to pay $$$ for an exclusive promotional deal if it's not exclusive to their brand. Business 101.
I <3 Employee.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Myjah wrote:
sleazy_j wrote:
Dude. A company isn't going to pay $$$ for an exclusive promotional deal if it's not exclusive to their brand. Business 101.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2013 ... nd-samsung
In 2013, Samsung spent $5 million purchasing 1 million copies of Magna Carta Holy Grail to give away to its Galaxy phone users. Ben Weiner, CEO of the ad agency WDCW, estimates Samsung spent another $15 million or so on the campaign that he thinks is the highlight of a turnaround.

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

Employee wrote:http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicbl ... sic-future
Jay-Z's Samsung deal signals a musical future where the rich get richer

Never mind the chart positions – Jay-Z gets everything he wants out of Roc Nation's link with the phone company. And so does Samsung
The deal is pretty fucking smart. Jay-Z figured out how to get paid for his album leaking.
I <3 Employee.