Battle Rap Vid Thread (KOTD, URL, iBattle, etc.)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

thekeentwo
Lisa Bonet With Talent

Re: Battle Rap Vid Thread (KOTD, URL, iBattle, etc.)

Post by thekeentwo »

man i cant wait to watch this shit
alone

Thun

Post by Thun »

Bigg K vs Real Deal is a snoozer.

Piff Tannen

Post by Piff Tannen »

man shotgun suge needs to stop

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

damn just watched a random middle-tier battle but this one cat had so many awesome lines even though he looks like azn fresco and raps with a weak ass delivery

joe cutta vs ek (everybody knows)

ek had some craaazy lines, but my favorite were rebuttals

he had a rebuttal to joe cutta's 1st, so joe cutta started off his 2nd with a rebuttal to the rebuttal by saying "rebuttals are for faggots", so ek starts off his 2nd with a rebuttal to that rebuttal by saying "you said rebuttal's for faggots...good rebuttal you faggot"

had to be there, but godamn that was funny

super cysed for hollow vs tsu
Nets 2022

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

glad EK is back on his shit again. i was mad at his AHAT performance from a while back. Joe Cutter is one of my personal fav. he's exactly the way he battles and raps on a record.

i wanted to check out more of Sno Man's battles after seeing his joint with Anubis. he actually does better in other ones that i've seen. but this one kid he battled, Illedis, is really dope. sucks that he apparently chokes more than he should.

New episode of Dirtbag Dan TV, too. With Joe Cutter, Tantrum, and Fredo. Caustic as usual with the LOLz. Dope ass cypher at the end.

"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

hollow da don has to have some kind of special memory or something...eidetic...I dunno...there has to be something to explain what he can do...his freestyle rebuttals: you should not be able to craft multiple bars incorporating metaphors within metaphors all with interesting polysyllabic rhyme schemes without so much as one slip-up or awkward pause...i don't get it, it's impossible to me the way he does it, he seriously rebuttals like other dudes write
Nets 2022

Thun

Post by Thun »

Hollow is some kind of freestyle demon.

Hollow vs Lux should be epic.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Shifting gears somewhat: is there a single Detroit based battle rapper who isn't a complete joke at this point anymore? Miles, Calicoe, Qleen, and X-Factor are all thoroughly discredited.... Anyone left?

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

funny you mention that, Thun. was about to post a battle from M. Ciddy you may like. out of all of them, i can say Marv Won is the Detroit battle rapper i fux with the most.

battles:

Thun

Post by Thun »

M Ciddy is dope, forgot about him.

Marv One is cool to me, though I think he isn't as sharp as he used to be. Quest McCody, on the other hand, is cold trash.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

stuff i've gleaned fwiw:

- caustic has a gun charge...that is what kept him out of canada

- caustic sold arcane $200 worth of bars. arcane completely took over momentum against chedda cheese with a specific line from caustic. dizaster logged onto caustic's facebook and email on his laptop to find the evidence (convos with arcane) to use that against arcane (though it mostly backfired)

- tsu surf caught a gun charge in detroit right before the event causing him to miss his anticipated battle with big t but two rumors arose after tsu was on a flight back to jersey literally the next day - 1. that he never got a gun charge and simply wanted not to show up in fear of his life or his pockets (and this is the part i don't know...did he just talk a lot of shit about detroit or bout someone from detroit?) and 2. that he snitched to get him out of jail faster. the plausible answer is that he got bailed out and he's allowed to move state-to-state as long as he comes back to face his charge in detroit when it's time.

- dumbfoundead didn't want to do the tantrum battle at first when lush approached him about it...because he thought it would be corny azn jokes...but then he thought about it and decided, shit, this will get so many fucking views...because of the corny azn jokes

- arsonal, dirtbag dan and hollow da don specifically have literally never slipped up. not even close to a choke. these cats have literally never stumbled on a syllable. incredible. everything else aside, these three get major props for that. maybe some footage will prove me wrong, but i think i've seen 99% of their battles and not one stumble or choke, just crazy shit.

- detroit rappers are really a joke right now like thun said, but let's address an even cornier group that just does not get criticized enough. who in the fuck is really that talented in dot mob? bars-wise they are fucking clones of each other. it's like they write together and spit their bars for each other and they co-sign each other without any quality control cuz they are the same fucking rappers. the whole dot mob crew SCREAMS insecurity...bunch of dwarfy napolean-complex motherfuckers with almost no style. i have so much more interest in listening to brooklyn (math hoffa, hollow, conceited, etc.) than in listening to any dot mob boring motherfuckers yet their reputation and cache in the battle world is so legit overall...i find that fucking stupid. they got head ice and swave sevah right there in harlem and yet dot mob gets fucking love and money from puff daddy. fucking stupid.

- whatever you think about cadalack ron and his drug/G game, just multiply that by fifty...
dude is cray

- oshea vs blizzard was fucking intriguing. not because of the battle, i mean the bars and freestyles and accents were just AWFUL. dreadful. but the crowd. that don't flop crowd is something else. in terms of a combination of being nice, not overly dickriding, and understanding bars, they have a good crowd. too bad even their rappers have full 4 bar sequences where you don't understand a godamned thing they are saying. eurgh, cruger & shotty horrah are cool. deffinition should be but something about him irks me.

- kotd groundzero battles are almost entirely fucking lame. i just sat through the worst battle i've seen in years. kamakaze vs 6conscious aka sixxo. like, literally everything that is wrong with white people rapping is on exhibit in this battle. i dare you to try to get through one verse each. this was an EDMONTON-DIVISION GROUND ZERO BATTLE. EDMONTON HAS ITS OWN DIVISION. THAT'S ALMOST AS BAD AS GIVING SOME BUMBLEFUCKS FROM MISSOURI THEIR OWN BATTLE LEAGUE. OH WAIT...

- there are battle leagues in missouri, arizona, colorado and EDMONTON.

- the whole cali scene is so inner-supportive it makes me jealous. new yorkers want to compartmentalize to the nth degree, i mean god forbid rappers band together, if you're from yonkers you have to rep that and separate yourself from the bronx and mt. vernon even. i mean you're talking three adjacent cities/towns and they still rep their specific zip codes. i mean you got guys with the SAME zip code reppign their specific blocks or neighborhoods. let alone brooklyn vs harlem or whatever.

but cali? i swear to god dirtbag dan, tantrum, caustic, dumbfoundead, daylyt, lush, pass, okwerdz, etc. THEY ALL SUPPORT EACH OTHER. san jose san fran union city la compton stockton, they don't give a fuck, they all ride for each other. there's a good sociological thesis to be written here. one thign about cali though: them dudes smoke way too much.

- tsu surf slept in joe budden's house for a while

- kotd is my favorite league despite their canadian lower tier b/c they bring motherfuckers TOGETHER from all different leagues.

- i don't know if it's some latent racism/jingoism or empathetic pre-cringing but here are former grindtime or kotd rappers that need to get a shot against smack/url's top tier that even though i feel they deserve it, it is incredibly hard for me to picture the whole scene, the crowd, smack, all the rappers on the stage...giving a shit about any of these cats: bender, real deal, daylyt, ness lee, and pat stay

- most improved battle rappers:

daylyt (him against philly swain to him now...he crafted a whole next level persona since then)

anygma (his schemes and more importantly his enunciation were sooooo improved)

- there's a hitman holla sponsored battle rap app that is actually really cool. obvioulsy only audio but it's fun. too bad st louis rappers have a mini-smack-stronghold despite their collective mostly shitty pool of talent

- osa > loe pesci

- i gotta go poop
Nets 2022

thekeentwo
Lisa Bonet With Talent

Post by thekeentwo »

-just pooped earlier, was cool(ish)

-i think pat stay can work in URL. not many others. pat is one of my favs at the moment. god damn that boy huge nh @ "gdtbh"

-i feel that ive seen some good battles lately, ones that entertained me, but i havent seen an "oh shit this is fucking amazing" one in a while. shotty/arsonal. diz/dna... classic ones. am i missing shit?

-why are there so many battle leagues

Thun

Post by Thun »

Finally discussion. I felt so lonely these past few months. Hold me, Keen.

- Caustic hasn't really lived up to his potential. He got pushed around by JC and didn't wake up until the third round. Disappointing.

- Pat Stay has incredible first rounds and then fizzles. Every time.

- Real Deal battled B Magic on Smack and got tons of crowd love. Like, a little too much. Since then, he joined the reviled Dot Mob (totes agree with RZN on their collective shittiness) and got RIPPED by a post-Rone Okwerdz, which is really just unacceptable. His battle with Big K is his worst showing thus far, and his attempt to splice Loaded Lux's third round lecture style with a "normal nice guy" routine is really, really shitty and should be stopped. Sorry folks, he is not the great white hope we wanted him to be.

- Ness Lee vs Loaded Lux should happen.

- Daylyt's antics against Hoffa were gay as fuck. Rap, you facial tattooed completely unemployable vigilante freak weirdo fuck, nobody got time for your dumb shit, and fuck the Fresh Coast idiocracy for encouraging this sort of behavior.

- Ms Fit, KG The Poet, Young Kannon, Nuborn, E-Hart, and Johnny Alcatraz are all underrated. You heard it here first.

- Bonnie Godiva looks like she enjoys anal.

- The best recent battle I've seen is Remyd vs Pass, and I guess that isn't saying much because while it was very good it wasn't like super duper cold. The last "great" battle I saw was B Magic Vs Chilla Jones.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Ok, the Detroit rappers have had their moments but I don't write them off completely. M. Ciddy and Marv Won are still standing regardless of wins/losses I feel. Yeah, Calicoe almost got his ass indicted but he still beat out some good competition before Lux came around, IMO. X-Factor's last battle with Goodz made him look bad; but he's still the nigga that made DNA get an actual tooth. Never was up on what Quest McCody does so, I don't know what's up with him really.

One battle rapper from Detroit who I thought was interesting that should've gotten more shine in Grind Time when it was poppin' more was Doc Waffles. Dude was like the Paul Barman of this era of battle rap. Weird style; apparently he has battled cats like Marv Won and Quest McCody; and I think he's beaten quite a few of them, too. And he does a lot of joints with the homie, Self Says.

LOL, this dude gotta TED Talk.

Got some good tunes, too.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

And for those who are keeping up with KOTD's Ground Zero Grand Prix. Look below at your own risk.

thekeentwo
Lisa Bonet With Talent

Post by thekeentwo »

luciano crakk has to be the most terrible ever

for fucks sake

Thun

Post by Thun »

Nah, Fredo is the worst in history.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

ardamus wrote:And for those who are keeping up with KOTD's Ground Zero Grand Prix. Look below at your own risk.

:rofl: :lol:
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Thun wrote:Nah, Fredo is the worst in history.
i was thinkin about this

like you can't just pick the worst rapper...too easy

has to be the worst rapper...who is regarded widely as a good battler

i have a really hard time not trolling dotmob

i kinda wanna throw in a write-in vote for loe pesci though

it's a tough question
Nets 2022

Thun

Post by Thun »

T-Rex is the worst who somehow has a reputation for being good.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Thun wrote:T-Rex is the worst who somehow has a reputation for being good.
:cheers:

wasnt sure if i were letting my bias get the best of me but that is exactly whom i had in mind
Nets 2022

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Fredo and Tsu Surf I removed my list of battle rappers that I can't deal with. They both showed and proved. I never had a problem with Tsu Surf's music but as a battle rapper he never did much for me until he faced Conceited and Hollow recently. Fredo's 3rd round against Pariah was nothing but punches and his music is actually good. Rappers still on my list as the worst: Bulle, Cody The Catch, Hash 100s, and a few others I'm forgetting.

T-Rex, I feel just has a ton of people telling him to be like the "old Rex" from the past times he was doing the SMACK DVDs. When he tried that with O-Red, he got bodied. And its funny how that Aye Verb battled backfired on his squad with that K-Shine ass grab :lol: and Mook's long and terrible battle with Iron Solomon. But I do wonder how his battle with Dizaster looks.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

forgot to mention this but who else got super awkward feelings any time tsu surf tried to freestyle rebuttal hollow? they were the worst freestyle rebuttals i have EVER heard
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

i havent done as big of a 180 on any rapper as much as i have on arsonal

first several battles of his i watched i was just dumbfounded(no dfd) by his popularity

he seemed so average to me

but then after watching a billion battles of a range of rappers and also wathong his progressive battles the rewatching his old ones

i have gained so much respect for his brain. he is nowhere near the most "lyrical" cat but performance-wise hes top three easy (lux and diz come to mind)
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

the reason i posted that is i rewatched arsonal vs conceited and round 2 when he starts battling over conceited'd head...omg
Nets 2022

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

battles:

other stuff:

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Fredo is dope though.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

I think what it is with Fredo is that "yo, yo, yo, yo" shit he does so much. To the point, sometimes it sounds like he's stumbling over his verses. That's what I think made me not a fan of his in the first place.

Big Lurk

Post by Big Lurk »

Fredo cooked Reverse:

soon jesus will come and we will all clap
and to the devil we say brap brap brap

Thun

Post by Thun »

Reason wrote:forgot to mention this but who else got super awkward feelings any time tsu surf tried to freestyle rebuttal hollow? they were the worst freestyle rebuttals i have EVER heard
Tsu's third round was so terrible even his pbvious cheering section was mute.

Lulz at the beginning of Tsu's second round, he spits some punch thatdoesn't land AT ALL and you can see the look of desperation and disappointment in Arsonal's face like "damn he outta steam already?"