The Most Influential Hip-Hop Message Boards Right Now

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Re: The Most Influential Hip-Hop Message Boards Right Now

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Race Car Bed Sleeping Rapist Virgin wrote:I wonder who the contrarian personalities are that complex is referencing to in their :phila: write up :killacam:
I'm near the top of that fucking list, broham
not proudly, but let's address the goddamn bloated elephant in the cubbyhole if we're going to ask that question, mmmkay
you ninjas have hated me more than anyone else on this board... probably EVER :arrow:

what is more contrarian than YOTMB's ( :bunk: ) "inspriration" of not only the actual ignore button, but essentially, the mods reaction to my magnificent HLB'ing?
I've had more threads locked than anyone else around here, I'd wager that much, too.
And if you looked at the threads, they wouldn't be spam nor hot garbidge :ohhh:

okay, the point is made :leon:
disagree if you wanna... and validate the contrarianism further :rofl:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

step one

Post by step one »

Philaflava wrote:The first time I even entered that thread was yesterday. And Sean Price gets talked about a lot? He hasn't had an album in years and I'm sure when he did, the thread was no more than a page.
Dropped 'Mic Tyson' at the end of the last year. Nothing special. From what I remember he was talked about alot on here about 5 years ago though.

I guess they highlighted the battle thread as its at the top of the page.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Philaflava wrote:The first time I even entered that thread was yesterday. And Sean Price gets talked about a lot? He hasn't had an album in years and I'm sure when he did, the thread was no more than a page.
FYI the battle rap thread is the deep dark dungeon of :phila: that thun has been exiled to

DJCommunist

Post by DJCommunist »

been to reddit's HHH, okp, boxden, kanye's shit and the collie. easily <<<< :phila:

Lid

Post by Lid »

Race Car Bed Sleeping Rapist Virgin wrote:when did SOHH die?
last april during the playoffs, servers couldnt handle the load and dudes got mad because the servers were always shitty, went and created the coli...

sleazy_j

Post by sleazy_j »

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/complex- ... rd.136523/

i read about 5 pages in, and it seems their main concern is "Fuck Boxden" because Complex thinks SOHH members went to Boxden, when like dude above said, they made The Coli.
No mention of the Sons Of The :phila:
Some "Fuck KTT"
and most of all, "Fuck Complex".

nobody likes Complex.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

might steal some of those emoticons tho.

thekeentwo
Lisa Bonet With Talent

Post by thekeentwo »

so, in rap internet maths:

the coli is to :phila: as sohh is to hhi?

thekeentwo
Lisa Bonet With Talent

Post by thekeentwo »

they have a thread called "photos of drake looking awkward"

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

i like the coli "dap" thing they got going for posts.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

:arrow:

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

shit needs to marinate on page 1

Thun

Post by Thun »

step one wrote:

That and because it's comprehensive and useful. Gloss, give us our own subforum.

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

I think one thing that Complex completely missed and fucked up on is the amount of contributions and free music this forum generates and gives back to the masses. Many dope compilations and rare mixes of joints have been spawned from T.R.O.Y. & M2C.

mutha fuckers just browse 3 to 5 threads then start compiling lists, half ass journalism with that annoying ass slideshow format.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

Let Jaz Down wrote:Pissed I wasn't consulted for the :phila: blurb since I don't feel that Tyrone nailed the appeal of this place, nor am I happy that he paints this board as a home for boom-bap dinosaurs/conservative rap coalition members.
i always tend to think this board isn't that until i look at the results of any & every rap music poll on this forum. didn't something like a nas song win "best mainstream club song of 2012"??

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Thun wrote:Gloss, give us
:pause:

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Tired & Broke wrote:I think one thing that Complex completely missed and fucked up on is the amount of contributions and free music this forum generates and gives back to the masses. Many dope compilations and rare mixes of joints have been spawned from T.R.O.Y. & M2C.

mutha fuckers just browse 3 to 5 threads then start compiling lists, half ass journalism with that annoying ass slideshow format.
If you want to toss the salad of Gloss, why not just ask, breh?

All up on that white man dick.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

ackbar wrote:
Let Jaz Down wrote:Pissed I wasn't consulted for the :phila: blurb since I don't feel that Tyrone nailed the appeal of this place, nor am I happy that he paints this board as a home for boom-bap dinosaurs/conservative rap coalition members.
i always tend to think this board isn't that until i look at the results of any & every rap music poll on this forum. didn't something like a nas song win "best mainstream club song of 2012"??
It's more disturbing that you're the new Voice of the Streets. I guess it's true after all; we're all just:

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Thun wrote:
step one wrote:

That and because it's comprehensive and useful. Gloss, give us our own subforum.
Considering your massive fall off, you are in no position to be making demands brah

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

glad my top 3 are on there... :phila: , BX, and The Coli :bow:

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Thun wrote:
step one wrote:

Rog is that you? Since when did you become all Poison Pen with these battles? And why is that the only thread I ever see you in?

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Philaflava wrote:
Thun wrote:
step one wrote:

Rog is that you? Since when did you become all Poison Pen with these battles? And why is that the only thread I ever see you in?
Presumably, Roger's all consuming indulgence in the sophomoric battle rap scene is a result of his ill-fated attempt to get into "current rap" a couple of years back...

Thun

Post by Thun »

I had a heart attack, fell off, and became more of a faggot. Battle rap is my salvation. Can we have our forum?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Who is this we? You know I'm open-minded but does that warrant its own forum? Couldn't we consolidate Check The Rhime really? Shit you could even head up that forum and revamp it.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Thun wrote:I had a heart attack, fell off, and became more of a faggot. Battle rap is my salvation. Can we have our forum?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Thun

Post by Thun »

Philaflava wrote:Who is this we? You know I'm open-minded but does that warrant its own forum? Couldn't we consolidate Check The Rhime really? Shit you could even head up that forum and revamp it.
Yes it warrants its own forum, and this forum could easily become the go-to [legit, literate] message board on the net for rap battles. Ardamus has been tirelessly compiling battles and if given a forum with stickies and polls and whatnot, we could have something great. The we is myself, Ardamus, Keen, Magneto, Reason, Moolah, fatboybrandon, Employee, just to name the famous personalities who follow this stuff. Is it a small crowd now? Yes. Will it grow if we can organize the way an actual subforum allows? Without a doubt. Battle rap is big now, Smack is on BET, all the rappers are obsessed with this stuff and tweet about it all day, Kendrick Lamar is reigniting interest in rap competition, etc.,etc.

It isn't worth consolidating with CTR. It is it's own thing and big enough to be popular, but not quite mainstream yet so there's room to innovate. I wasn't wrong about TROY. Give us a three month trial run. If it's a ghost town after that, close up shop and we'll pretend it never happened.
Last edited by Thun on Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Julius Seizure

Post by Julius Seizure »

how can you argue with that?

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Gloss, I actually did want to ask you about this. So hear us out and see what you think.

First of all, I know you don't keep up with the battle rap shit like we do. Its like me trying to keep up with anything related to Sports Bar. Which is fair. But, the movement of battle rap is stronger in this new era with sites that do have consistent traffic. I think it could help. Getting a mention in the article for that thread is actually a good look the more I think about it.

Websites that mainly have traffic for battle rap fans according to trafficestimate.com:
http://www.rapmusic.com - 231,000 visits over the last 30 days.
http://www.otbva.com - 167,400 visits over the last 30 days.
http://www.rmbva.com - 31,400 visits over the last 30 days.

Battle rap blog sites:
http://www.battlefix.com - 45,600 visits over the last 30 days.
http://www.rapgrid.com - 38,500 visits over the last 30 days.
http://www.versetracker.com - 3,000 visits over the last 30 days.

We could possibly increase the traffic if you'd like to if we have this forum. Even those are estimates, I can guarentee you at least up to half of those visits are for the battle rap forums they have. I know OTBVA alone has been getting hit up for their bootlegs of battles before (which we wouldn't do).

Furthermore, you have to look at what kind of culture has developed out of it online. There's battles with millions of views and fans that keep up with as a core audience. Some of the very rappers we talk about on this forum are part of the shit, too. And months down the line, you'll be asking about how this movement got to be where it was. Need some examples? No problem.

I'm just saying consider the possibility of adding an element of the website that can (a) make it more well-rounded and (b) keeping up with the times as well. And for it to be with CTR doesn't really work out. Reason why is because CTR is made for online/text battling or expressing your writing in a forum. This would be about content and media for something that has developed in a sport that goes across the board. And its already happening with the mainstream/commercial acts acknowledging some of these rappers. Loaded Lux appearing on Mac Miller's album on the song with Action Bronson and getting quoted by Jay-Z, Lupe Fiasco giving props to Daylyt, Mistah FAB touring with Dirtbag Dan and wanting to start his own battle league, and Dizaster getting props from not only Eminem but the whole Shady Roster. So with that said, just consider the proposal. Check out those battles with an open mind (nh @ open mind) and just see what you think. Aight? Peace.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

:gloss: ,

I concur with Thundarmus: the battle forum should be created. Birthed of greatness, moderated in wonder. But really it would probably drive some new traffic your way. Beyond that: it is an area of much conversation and constant topics arise daily (nh @ "arise daily").

My Two Scents,
Emp L. Oyee

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

these guys are straight don draper-ing this argument

Moolah is about to step in here with a :phila: version of the Kodak carousel pitch consisting entirely of pictures of rappers battling on arlene's wagon
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo