Pharrell gets murked by jazz music scholar

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Seen?

Re: Pharrell gets murked by jazz music scholar

Post by Seen? »

The "Steve Albini" of the jazz trumpet. He dislikes the term "jazz" and prefers the term "BAM" (Black American Music). He truly hates the hiff hoff. #Tearz

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Kony Montana wrote:
thatkidnero wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote: One of the world’s most renowned producers can’t tell the difference between a minor chord and a Dominant 7th, something that you learn the first week in music theory class. It’s like a doctor not knowing the difference between your ears and your eyes.
Is it now?

Yeah, western tonal systems are completely analogous to human body parts.

MB, Pharrell just stated the song isn't in the same key, which the salty ass author concedes. The author even points out that Gaye himself couldn't read or write notation. That's like a doctor not knowing the difference between your eyes and your asshole.

Out of curiosity, can you sight read, MB?
Honestly, I went to music college and learned how to read notes. I haven't done it since I was 22... I admit I'd be rusty as fuck, but I used to know how to do it.

Did you see the interview where Robin Thicke says "yeah, that Marvin Gaye song 'Got To Give It Up' is one of my favorite songs of all-time? And Pharrell was like 'yeah, I love it too', and went and played around and we made some song in less than an hour'? I read that quote.

I never liked the song, AND I LIKE ROBIN THICKE'S OLDER MUSIC. I honestly think I might have made the first Robin Thicke post on Philaflava. I do believe I've posted stuff about him years ago, and I am FAR from some hater of him. I specifically am critical of what he has created with THIS particular song, and it's shitty stolen inspiration on so many levels.

:bunk:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Kalistoga

Post by Kalistoga »

Pharrell has been making original sounding music for years with N.E.R.D. & The Neptunes. I think he gets a pass on this one.

Shiftshock

Post by Shiftshock »

RIP pharrell