"How To Drake It In America"

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Escobar305

Re: "How To Drake It In America"

Post by Escobar305 »

Balzac wrote:aside from that cake cake cake part i thought jay had a dope verse.

he also had minimal "unh, unh, unh" adlibs which fucking ruined magna carta

after a few weeks with this album there are very few songs i'm skipping.
very enjoyable.
Yep, i like the jay verse tbh

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Balzac wrote:aside from that cake cake cake part i thought jay had a dope verse.

he also had minimal "unh, unh, unh" adlibs which fucking ruined magna carta

after a few weeks with this album there are very few songs i'm skipping.
very enjoyable.
word. I think Drake and Jay-Z made that song 'Pound Cake' as some kind of subliminal reference/response to Rihanna and Chris Brown, who also had a song called 'Birthday Cake', where the word 'cake cake cake' is said. I thought maybe Drake and Jay-Z were like "yeah, I'd pound the fuck out of Chris Brown face cake, and/or we both pounded the fuck outta Rihanna's coochie cake, ha haaaa... let's get this white people money, my ninja"

It's not the sharpest and most clever metaphor they could come up with, which is why I think there's some subliminal meaning behind the title and the lyrics... but who knows, I could be reaching. I don't mind, I need the exercise :liljon:

and yeah. no matter what anyone says: it's still a good ass album. it's not what most people expected and it's not what a lot of people wanted... but fuck the world if Drake TOTALLY didn't convert a whole bunch of new people with this record.

Nuff people are like "I normally don't fuck with Drake, but I heard a couple cool records on this album that I'll spin"

even though he only gave me one song with 3 verses of hardbody rapping on it... I ain't even mad at this guy. I LOVE how Drizzy just raped the rap game... plus he got those unreleased joints he's still dropping, including one with Lil Wayne and one with :wutang: U-TANG FUCKING CLAN

NOTHING WAS THE SAME, DOG :cas: :copy: :cas:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

With over 2 months left of the year, Mindbender's posts in this thread alone have already secured him :phila:'s Worst Poster and Biggest Faggot of 2013 awards.

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:I think Drake and Jay-Z made that song 'Pound Cake' as some kind of subliminal reference/response to Rihanna and Chris Brown, who also had a song called 'Birthday Cake', where the word 'cake cake cake' is said. I thought maybe Drake and Jay-Z were like "yeah, I'd pound the fuck out of Chris Brown face cake, and/or we both pounded the fuck outta Rihanna's coochie cake, ha haaaa... let's get this white people money, my ninja"
nah i don't think so man. from what i've read jay just sent drake a few accapellas and then drakes team made the beat around one of the verses. when they sent it back to jay he wanted to use it on watch the throne but ended up deciding otherwise. but my point is they weren't even in the studio together, so i doubt there was anything deep about either of their verses.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Balzac wrote:
Mindbender Futurama wrote:I think Drake and Jay-Z made that song 'Pound Cake' as some kind of subliminal reference/response to Rihanna and Chris Brown, who also had a song called 'Birthday Cake', where the word 'cake cake cake' is said. I thought maybe Drake and Jay-Z were like "yeah, I'd pound the fuck out of Chris Brown face cake, and/or we both pounded the fuck outta Rihanna's coochie cake, ha haaaa... let's get this white people money, my ninja"
nah i don't think so man. from what i've read jay just sent drake a few accapellas and then drakes team made the beat around one of the verses. when they sent it back to jay he wanted to use it on watch the throne but ended up deciding otherwise. but my point is they weren't even in the studio together, so i doubt there was anything deep about either of their verses.
yeah i heard about that... but you don't think they talked a bit before Jay sent the verse? :killacam:

the things Jay-Z is talking about refers to things Drake is talking about... and there's part of me that thinks this. :liljon:

I am not really the type to add meaning where there isn't, but often times when these guys do these big event records, there is more than meets the eye/ear to them.

another reason I say that is that Jay-Z and Drake kinda been subliminally beefing for a while (Drake been going more at Kanye, but he threw some slick lines at Jigga too) and this 'Pound Cake' song is the official squashing of said beef. But that shit doesn't happen over nothing... something is usually the catalyst to these guys dropping their egos and doing something together.

And what do Drake and Jay-Z have in common? NOT IN CARMEN :naswtf: I SAID IN COMMON? :killacam:

Rihanna. :ohhh:

and their hate for Chris Brown :omggay:

(well, Drake had that up until last week when him and CB deaded they beef too)

the way Jay-Z says "cake cake cake" is exactly the way Rihanna does on her song with Chris Brown.

Sherlock Holmes: "There are no such things as coincidences." :rofl: :spidey: :rofl:
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

step one

Post by step one »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
the way Jay-Z says "cake cake cake" is exactly the way Rihanna does on her song with Chris Brown.
jesus fucking christ make it stop
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Req

Post by Req »

AND HE WOULD KNOW A THING OR TWO ABOUT ALBUMS!
F.U. MOOLAH

craig

Post by craig »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:Drake is so awesome. Drake is the bestest.
It's just weird seeing someone who claims to be such a proponent of lyricism go apeshit over Drake. Saying KL doesn't always come with it as an MC as if Drake always does. I remember back when Jay Electronica had a buzz and was killing it (yea I know it was a while ago) I seem to remember your overall response being "meh." But here comes Drake (nh) and it's "ooh kill 'em Drake", "Drake got the bars", "look at his record sales." It makes sense though. He's the hometown hero, he put your city on the map, he knows who you are, I get it. I git it, I git it.

For the record, I like Drake's music and I cosign Blast's last few posts on the subject.

iCONtheMicKing

Post by iCONtheMicKing »

craig wrote:
It's just weird seeing someone who claims to be such a proponent of lyricism go apeshit over Drake. Saying KL doesn't always come with it as an MC as if Drake always does. I remember back when Jay Electronica had a buzz and was killing it (yea I know it was a while ago) I seem to remember your overall response being "meh." But here comes Drake (nh) and it's "ooh kill 'em Drake", "Drake got the bars", "look at his record sales." It makes sense though. He's the hometown hero, he put your city on the map, he knows who you are, I get it. I git it, I git it.

For the record, I like Drake's music and I cosign Blast's last few posts on the subject.
to be fair I'm exactly the same as what you just described and I'm definitely not from Canada
Internet Rapper - http://ipullrank.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

LilLeftBrain

Post by LilLeftBrain »

[youtube] title reminds me of a keen post
moved by duck muscles

BARRY LURKIN

Post by BARRY LURKIN »

LOL CQ MAKING IT GQ.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

craig wrote:

:naswtf:

I love Jay Electronica and loved damn near everything he's made. What meh? LOL

He's obviously just not as driven as Drake, and I'm disappointed in my brother's detrimental disappearance from the hip hop game. Jay Electronica's no-show for his coronation has basically been the DEATH of the "conscious hip hop" movement in 2013. But I digress.

Drake is SHARP on the mic. His flow is TIGHT AS FUCK. His breath control is top notch. His writing is CLEVER AS FUCK, when he wants it to be. His wordplay can be cutting edge cultural zeitgeist shit sometimes. Dude has made up a variety of saying and statements that define modern life for the last generation of kids who don't follow Kanye West or 50 Cent (or Jay-Z or T.I.). Drake is a leader of the new school. I like MOST of the stuff he does, not everything. But that's the case for Nas, Wu-Tang, and all my heroes anyways.

It has very little to do with Drake being from Toronto. I JUST LIKE HIS MUSIC. To be DEAD honest, I first got into Drake when I was in NEW YORK many years ago, and Eternia's roommate was playing me 'Comeback Season' and I was like "yo, this shit is fucking DOPE actually... and wow, this cat in NYC is buggin out over this homie from Toronto that I occasionally heard? lemme check him out more"... and never slept on him since.

Drake is sophisticated, intelligent, and evolved. Who else has said something like "am I the only 22 year old wine connoisseur?"

he's just doing something else that nobody in America is doing. I'd love him just as much if he was from London, England.

but he is from the future hip hop capital of the planet: Toronto :cheers:

BOW DOWN TO AUBREY DA GOD

:cas:

Nav

Post by Nav »

Too Much is the best track on the album. It reminds me of Look What You’ve Done.
Resolved Question
Does Biggie Smalls hate HipHop???

"Shoulda been a cop, Fukc Hiphop"

I've been wondering what he meant by this.
Additional Details
Rap sucks, HipHop is better

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
Naw, he likes hip hop and rap. He was just referring to if he hadn't started rapping he would've been a cop.
So he's cursing it, not that he doesn't like it, just for the sake of it.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

'Too Much' is a very great song, and is EXACTLY the type of song that is a perfect example of why Drake is a leader of the new school.

'Too Much' is a kind of song like Jay-Z's 'Song Cry' or 'Soon You'll Understand', and even though Jay-Z has a daughter and wife now, he doesn't give us that much access to his emotions anymore... not even on WTT.

the album kinda grows on you in weird ways. there's still not enough RAPPING on it for my tastes, but i respect it.

the verse on 'Worst Behavior' is fucking FIIIIIRE. 'bar mitzvah money like my last name Mordecaaaaaai/ fuck you bitch I'm more than high/ my mama probably hear that and be mortified/ ...for all the stuntin, I'll forever be immortalized" :copy: :copy:

man, this dude got fuckers on egde waiting for them new songs to drop too

DRAKE: RAP GAME VINCE MCMAHON :rofl:

thekeentwo
Lisa Bonet With Talent

Post by thekeentwo »

i rode the bus for 3 hrs the other day and listened to new album the whole time
cried a bit
:owens:
its pretty much my fav

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

:cheers: the homie Aubrey

too bad Method Man is not on the Wu-Tang Forever remix :sad:

:wutang:

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

https://soundcloud.com/iceh2orecords/ra ... -freestyle

:wutang: wow this is fucking DOPE

Rae :megaman: away with the best verse yet on this Pound Cake beat

the O.G. Shaolin intro is :copy:

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

New singles my jam tbh.

Fuck me, am I gonna have to listen to a Drake album on purpose now?

Req

Post by Req »

how suicidal do the borks feel when they read about how much legends like Raekwon, Primo and BDK love Drake?

they're left clinging to the shitty opinions of irrelevant artists like DMX, Beanie Sigel and Pusha T - rappers who they were in all likelihood shitting on for being "too commercial" and "NOT DAT REAL HIFFHOFF!!!!" back when they dropped.

yall stay losin' :lol: :lol: :lol:
F.U. MOOLAH

illuminati_guy

Post by illuminati_guy »

i like to listen the album while driving around and watching leaves fall off trees. this happens every other day

surprised how much i've been listening to this since the leak

thekeentwo
Lisa Bonet With Talent

Post by thekeentwo »

album brings out the bitch in everyone <3

ChaMerZ

Post by ChaMerZ »

Drizzy dropped a new vid. Cool but a bit too long and digressive for my tastes. Also, Juicy J's a funny ass dude.
http://cognitiv3dissident.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

video is tight. the song is one of the worst on the album tho

iCONtheMicKing

Post by iCONtheMicKing »

Love this song, but his videos consistently ruin the songs for me.

I don't need a 5 minute comedy interlude in a music video that's not actually funny.
Internet Rapper - http://ipullrank.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Req wrote:how suicidal do the borks feel when they read about how much legends like Raekwon, Primo and BDK love Drake?

they're left clinging to the shitty opinions of irrelevant artists like DMX, Beanie Sigel and Pusha T - rappers who they were in all likelihood shitting on for being "too commercial" and "NOT DAT REAL HIFFHOFF!!!!" back when they dropped.

:cheers: :rofl: :copy:

yup, LULZ! And how about that Ghostface Killah also says Drake is one of his favorite new rappers. even Jay Electronica will come out of his face admitting that he wants to be all jelly and pissy about Drizzy's modern hip hop domination, but even he has to bow down to the power of the OVO Sound. Maad jokes, yo.

I also love how it's pretty much cemented fact that Drake's music and album was THE BEST NEW CREATION out of all the major label projects that came out this year, from Jay-Z to Kanye West to Pusha T to Eminem to Big Sean to EY'BODY ELSE. Drake is #1 now. Thank you for trying to stop the inevitable :cas:

Yeah, you hate Drake for no logical or personal reason. That's nice, Pusha T. Meanwhile, Drake Jigga-Prodigies Pusha on some "your whole album sold what mine sold in the first week" shit, ha ha (even though I'm not sure "My Name Is My Name" will even reach gold).

Look: I wrote an awesome Drake "Would You Like A Tour?" concert review: http://www.hiphopcanada.com/2013/11/dra ... to-review/

peace to iCON. :cheers:

WORST!

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

iCONtheMicKing wrote:Love this song, but his videos consistently ruin the songs for me.

I don't need a 5 minute comedy interlude in a music video that's not actually funny.
:cheers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcO6jLim1E4

SpecialAFFEX

Post by SpecialAFFEX »

I tried to listen to this dude but the music is just wack as fuck.

He sounds like a broken down, over emotional little bitch.

I can't understand how any grown man can listen to this shit without checking if his penis was still intact.

Did this little faggot seriously say he wants to be 'the Marvin Gaye of our generation'??? Or whatever the quote was?

Is this cunt serious??

Req

Post by Req »

sup jaz
F.U. MOOLAH

the Wiper

Post by the Wiper »

i liked the album, i dunno.

i mean, it wasn't "really good" or anything, but i liked it. then again i'm not nearly as picky as most of yall here..

step one

Post by step one »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
Req wrote:how suicidal do the borks feel when they read about how much legends like Raekwon, Primo and BDK love Drake?

:cheers: :rofl: :copy:

yup, LULZ! And how about that Ghostface Killah also says Drake is one of his favorite new rappers. even Jay Electronica will come out of his face admitting that he wants to be all jelly and pissy about Drizzy's modern hip hop domination, but even he has to bow down to the power of the OVO Sound. Maad jokes, yo.
:rofl: at you 2 getting mad that someone diesnt like your favourite rapper. You're so adamant that people should like Drake that you resort to '**credible artist** likes him therefore you MUST like him and your opinion is WRONG if you still think he's a huge faggot hack'. There's arguments happening right now in pre-school playgrounds that are more evolved than this.
Its as gay as taking sides in a beef between 2 rappers. I couldnt give a fuck what another rapper listens to. I'm capable of individual thought and forming my own opinion on exactly how terrible a Canadian tween sensation is.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com